Fifth Remix Tournament

Spoiler

First time I’m first this round!

1) Emotion Bigwave

Spoiler

With the title, I can’t help of think of some heavy synthesizers being used in this, like those modulations you can make on FL Studio.

0:00 Already, loving the sound variety here. Lot’s of different amplifications and amplitudes. There’s like some guy zipping up his robotic zipper in the back too lol. It’s a bit odd, but with the other cool instruments, I can get used to it.

0:50 Hearing some speed up in the background. BPM is getting faster. Your heartrate getting faster.

1:09 Yoooo ok this is pretty funky. The zipping now sounds like there’s cars zooming past you ala Initial D Eurobeat style.

2:37 Like the complimenting melody here. Oh wait… oh yeah. Ok that’s the Kokoro melody there! Nice. Forgot this was a Kokoro song until I heard that part (I don’t really look at the cover art while listening to the music, I just have it in the background while doing other things).

3:24 Solemn contemplative bridge part.

4:05 Big chord sounds part. I’m actually enjoying this mild dubstep here. It’s like Deemo dubstep. Not too intense crazy, but pretty enjoyable overall.

Overall, an enjoyable experience with some good sound variety. Definitely one of those perfect tracks to listen to in the background when you want to zone/vibe/chill out lol. I believe it’s the longest track we’ve had so far in the tournament, and despite it using a lot of the same instruments, it doesn’t really feel stale. So overall, an 8/10

2) Rigid Paradise

Spoiler

I remember last time there was a Rigid Paradise piece it was the duo song I posted with Orin. So definitely curious how this next track will sound like!

0:00 Ooohhh ok a mystery. It’s like scooby doo or the fanmade spinoff mystery skulls XD.

0:10 Ayyyy overdrive guitar sound font. Toby Fox is popping off right now. (I guess both Sans and Yoshika Miyako are both undead right?)

0:36 Nice mysterious singing, really fits the whole mood. Also like how it’s switching from vocals and instrumental. It’s like one of those scooby doo montages where they’re going through all those doors or something.

1:43 Honestly, this is pretty catchy!

1:52 Of course, as soon as I make a whole new timestamp part, it switches styles.

2:40 Ah man, I can’t help but shake my head to this now! Probably the catchiest song I’ve heard from the tournament so far. I don’t know, there’s just some catchy element that some songs have that make them stick in your head, maybe the repeating melody?

Man, I can still hear the song playing in my head even though it’s already over! Even though it is repetitive, I feel that’s what makes it so catchy. So you know what, a classic Garison DeCrick 10/10

Let’s see how many of these I give out at the end of this XD

3) Interdimensional

Spoiler

Nice .mp4 in the title lol. Since this is technically a song though shouldn’t it be a .mp3? I’m kidding of course. I wouldn’t be so cruel as to use a compressed audio format. Obviously something like .wav, .flac, etc is miles better XD

(Also nominating this for one of the longest titles for a song I’ve ever seen lol).

0:00 Yooo ok, I swear all of these songs is like funky hour. Wouldn’t be surprised if Busker purposely picked these out for how stylish they are!

0:23 Ok, I’m feeling the melody now. I know already that Murasa’s stage theme was catchy (some people say it reminds them of We Are Number One from Lazy Town).

0:52 Emotional bridge part. It’s like, Murasa’s about to hit an iceberg! But then, all of a sudden, she turns the ship at just the right angle that it barely scrapes by!

1:23 Back to funky mode, let’s go. Now it’s a party on Captain Murasa’s Party Yacht. Everyone’s having a good time again.

2:00 Until inevitably the song loops again and they start to see another iceberg ahead. But hey, that’s just what life is living on the Interdimensional Voyage of a Ghostly Passanger Ship! (Passenger Ship I guess technically?)

Overall, short and sweet. I’m personally not a fan of the ending though, since it sounds like it’s going to loop but it’s not, just ends all of a sudden. Minor nitpick, which is why I’m giving this a 9/10

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey i just found out, There's 1 impostor Among us  Whoever this might be he left comment on one of my videos AND APPARENTLY this video is song that was posted few rounds before i fo

Posted Images

Spoiler

1. ah, i just love it and it hits right in the spot, DnB with a lot of sampling, good theme, and yeah even thought it's almost 7 min it never gets stale (at least for me) with a lot of variety can't be anything else than:

10/10

Spoiler

2. funky rocc eh?, ain't that bad ngl i expected worse vocals are quite calming however i'm not really a fan of Rigid Paradise overall it's fairly decent song i've also expected a little bit better solo for some reason but..

7/10

Spoiler

3. oooh, i'd rather know it as House set of Undefined Fantastic Object, i remember listening to them quite long time ago (except newer ones TD was latest one i've listened i think) they are actually quite popular and quite catchy not all of them are really house tho, i don't mind

7.5/10

13: ESQUARIA - Emotional Bigwave
Arranged by ziki_7, leading composer for Touhou 17.5

Coming from the O-Life remix of last round, I was having similar impressions for the first half of this piece; it doesn't build up, but neither does is stagnate, maintaining a comfortably active state. Then it it changed up the strategy and went for an interlude, building out of that towards something that feels like a climax, but without raising the energy of the piece too much. From there, it returns to the first half's bass line for a while before closing out with a variation of the same.

I speculate that the prevalent bass line was composed first, and remained the foundation of the arrangement throughout the composition process. The piece only sacrifices this bass line for about a quarter of the song, and even then you can hear elements of it being incorporated. It's a good bass line, so I can't exactly blame the artist for capitalizing on it, but the piece doesn't really go anywhere by the end. Again, it's very similar to Truant Boss's in that it has little substance, but is still a pleasant listen for what it's worth.

As such, it gets the same score as Truant Boss's: 7/10.

14: 鶫 -Tsugumi- - LOVE in the BLACK
Elusive Lyrics 3: Obscure Sources

I get heavy noir vibes from this piece, but I couldn't really say why. It's a bit too rock to be jazz, but I hesitate to call it funk. There's a strange tone to it that I can't identify, distributed between the music itself and the singer. Of the few vocal arrangements I couldn't find the lyrics for in this tournament, I think this is the one that will make the most difference. I think I can catch a few English words sprinkled in (most notably "marionette") which, taken with the name of the song (a variant of which is part of the lyrics) infer to me some kind of disillusioned-love song. This would fit the style (and arguably the character who's theme it's based off of), but I'm still left questioning the general tone, which is ever so slightly more positive then I'm expecting.

Without more information, the best thing I can say about the piece is its creative incorporation of the source motif, though it's so slight that I initially questioned if it was a remix at all. Compared to the piano entry from the previous round, this arrangement goes to the other extreme of almost not being an interpretation of its source theme at all, but rather being inspired by it to a more original piece. I'd consider this approach on the same terms; there are definitely times when it works to the piece's favor, but generally I prefer interpretive types of remixes.

That makes two parallel entries between these two rounds, ironically enough. 7/10

15: Kuroneko Lounge - Myorenji set 07 ~ Interdimensional Voyage of a Ghostly Passenger Ship
House: the quieter younger sibling of funk, child of jazz and EDM.

First thing's first: this upload is a shortened version of the arrangement, which comes from the album's crossfade. I am genuinely unsure whether this was intentional or not, but for sake of clarity, here is the full piece:

Spoiler

That makes the third parallel between these two rounds. Anyway . . .

Interdimensional Voyage is my favorite theme from Touhou 12 entirely for it's unique style among ZUN's usual compositions. I'd argue that it captures the thematic mood of the story for that game, in that it hints at the tension of the characters while lacking the urgency that is typically present in Touhou themes. It's laid-back tone lends itself to swing arrangements, so it's not surprising to find a house set for it, nor that it works so well. Initially listening to it, I was worried that it didn't sound very different from the original. In reality, this arrangement emphasizes its own swing elements in a way that perfectly compliments the theme, to such an extent that it almost sounds more "correct" than the actual source!

To that impression, I'm giving it an 8/10; but if I were using decimal scoring, it would be on the higher end of eight.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Emotional Bigwave 「ESQUARIA」

im not gonna discuss who posted this

oh waitaminit i have this album in my storage...
image.png.1b71115a6c3273256c38c26493b385d8.png

yeah... aint listen to this much

i cant find the 2hu feel i it
where? oh 4:45
oh 2:15
ngl but this feels really repetative for me
not mentioning this aint my taste

if you post track 1 or 2 i would like it more

5/10

Spoiler

LOVE in the BLACK 「鶫 -Tsugumi-」

probably Ken

IM GLAD I LISTENED TO THIS LAST
other 2 was kinda hard for me
now i cant comment

seems rock is too broad of a genre, i want more of this

9/10?
since this kinda refreshing i upped a bit
9.5/10

Spoiler

image.png.48a19d99cc271b066011b933d68e8d93.pngI HATE YOU DAMN YOU

i was here first then i see this.
then i just plan to wait for someone else to name the title
then Garison posted but it only say "Interdimensional" which really help NO
then Dana said something about UFO House Set

so i guess it's the Myourenji set 7
yes my brain smooth after slep, now i can think smarter

image.png.902f819ad13cb6d20e67b345ffe75229.png

Luckily i got em ALL sAveD
I CAN LISTEN TO HIGH QUALITY WITHOUT COMPRESSION SCREW YOU AND GOOD FOR YOU I CAN RATE BETTER(?) WITH THIS.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

kinda crisp opening
i heard some annoying sharp noise in the back

2:16 hmm? what?
The noise gone! huzzah!
the sax is great, feels smooth after those rough start

brain fried cant comment

House is a good genre
Interdimensional Voyage is a good track

if only i dont hear that sharp noise in the back constantly
7/10

Here we go

Esquaria (I can't tell what this is supposed to be)

Spoiler

Sadly, I think this sits in the space of "it's good, but there's nothing here to talk about".  Decent pace and energy, but there needed to be something more.

6/10

Jazz Paradise

Spoiler

Jazz feel with electric guitar?  It works quite well actually.  Gives it an old 'goofy monster' feel.  A nice driving pace with a catchy melody.  

7.5/10

8-bit Voyage of a Jazzy Passenger Ship

Spoiler

A pretty simple arrangement, but one that feels a little fitting . . . woah, hold on, did we just get more jazz?

Okay, a style switch can be bad or good, but both of these are done very well, and the transitions are rather good.

7.5/10

Whoops, I'm the last one. Thread notifications are weird on this site...

Esquaria - Emotion thingy

Unlike Humanity, this one is listen-able the whole way through, which I appreciate, but the melody and instrumentation are less memorable than Humanity's good parts. Rating: 6/10

Jazz Paradise

I enjoyed this one more on second listen, so thanks @Garison DeCrick for pointjng out how catchy you thought it was. Weak on the melodic development, but it's a fun background listen. Rating: 7.5/10

Myourenji House Set

My favorite of this round. The chiptunes and the swing beat work very well with Ghostly Voyage. I particularly liked the part with the reverb and the gradual addition of depth to the sound. Rating: 8/10

Onto round 6! We're approaching the end.

Opening this round is a calm Necrofantasia.

Second is a more intense arrangement, this one of Lunatic Eyes ~ Invisible Full Moon.

Closing out this round is a remix of Apparitions Stalk the Night.

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

1) Necrofantasia

Spoiler

0:00 Oooohh ok piano. Calming, but has a melancholic air to it. I like the softness to the notes and the use of the pedal to smooth it out.

0:27 Ok, some nice ambiance in the background. Like water dropping. Feels refreshing to my ears. It’s like a marimba or xylophone sort of instrument.

1:00 Now it’s getting orchestral here. Strings sound beautiful here. Imagine also perfectly represents the song, like a sunset is coming up after a long battle, it’s all finally over.

2:00 Back to the piano. Just to contrast from that more intense part back there.

2:31 Some long notes in the background. Not a big fan of these instruments personally, but I can tolerate it.

3:16 Back to the intensity.

Sorry I didn’t comment so much during the timestamps, just got caught up in the emotional feel of the song. But man, that sounded beautiful. Deeply touching. There were some odd parts in the middle, but that’s only a minor nitpick because I give this a

9/10

2) Invisible Full Moon

Spoiler

0:00 Hey there’s a flute-

0:01 WHAT THE. Heavy guitar all of a sudden!?!? I thought this was going to be some traditional piece in the first second-

0:15 Vocals now?!?! How many genres are in this thing. Now there’s kick drums?

0:25 Is that a cowbell!??!

0:36 Ok there’s a guitar.

0:47 Dang ok there’s that nice melody. I can’t really see Reisen in the picture though, her finger takes up like half the short XD. But really interesting combination here!

1:25 Vocals are back. But I guess this is like the combination of the traditional Kaguya Japanese folklore merged with the more modern lunarian Voyage 1969 themes. Like, you have an old story twisted with a new modern spin. So wind flutes with some hardcore metal.

Overall, definitely a surprising combination! Personally, I wish they would have used more traditional instruments, since the heavy metal and vocals really overshadowed it. But that’s a

8/10

3) Apparitions Stalk the Night

Spoiler

I swear, every time I go into one of these tournaments, there’s one song that somebody picks that feels like it was just taken from one of my personal playlists. Last time it was Jssf1992’s pick of “Time Will Tell” by J. Stebbins. Now it’s Apparitions Stalk the Night! So this won’t be a first time reaction, but I’ll still try to talk about each of the individual parts as their timestamp comes along!

0:00 Ok, violin here.

0:07 I like that unsuspecting normal instrument here that all of a sudden leads to…

0:13 BAM! Oh yeah. Now THIS is funky. This is the sort of song I could see myself doing a full on square dance to or something!

0:37 Flute here we go!

0:48 Back to the violin, incorporating Rumia’s epic melody! I barely have any time to talk during the timestamps because of how many different paces it uses.

1:14 See? Now it’s like Antiquity instruments! There’s so much variety that, even after listening to this song a dozen times before over the past many years, it still never gets old!

1:49 Epic bridge part.

2:13 Back the main melody part. I absolutely love how it uses those clapping instruments.

2:49 Oooohhhh alright!!! Now it’s going crazy!!!

Perfect song. I just love how, it’s always changing how it sounds. Even though 4 minutes is a long time for a song, you have it cut up into these smaller bite-sized portions that make it easier to swallow. It always feels fresh, no matter how many times I come back to it. For that reason I give it a

10/10

Writing this without looking at Garison's comment, since I already formed my opinions...

Necrofantasia [The Daffodils]

Spoiler

This is basically everything I want in a calm orchestration. The spread of instruments, the strings especially; the melodic quality of everything; the piano in the background tinkling out the melodic harmonies so softly you don't notice up to where the original melody comes in halfway through...

It's perfect.

Rating: 10/10

[Vocal Metal Folk] Lunatic Eyes ~ Invisible Full Moon

Spoiler

I don't usually go for Touhou vocal metal (I was soured on it after some meh Akatsuki Records mixes), but this is just lovely. I love the vocal performance--I can feel the energy. I love the instrumentation--it's hype without grating on the ears and absolutely bops.

And there's a progression from beginning to end that makes me feel satisfied at the journey the song took me on.

Shoot, and the flute! I love flutes in rock/metal. Just look at Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick, which is basically the best rock album of all time.

Apparitions Stalk the Night

Spoiler

Ahh, PHOENIX Project. The first Touhou mixes I ever listened to. Well, first when I was conscious of listening to it as Touhou music, since COOL&CREATE's U.N. Owen Was Her? mix was technically my intro to Touhou overall. But this may as well be the very mix that got me invested enough in Touhou music to start downloading the soundtracks.

The marimba, the strings, the pure vim and vigor of this song still get me hyped after five~six years. It's the full range of expression that Rumia's original theme didn't get to embody, because the fight was so short.

Rating: 10/10, no question.

This round slaps. Unironically and totally.

And only one of these was one of my submissions! (guess which one)

Spoiler

1. Ambient//Lofi and other stuff like that ain't for me they are just too calm and i hate when music makes me want to go sleep (i'd rather prefer it making me want to smash my head to table or wall) so it's just automatically out for me unfortunately even if instrumentaion is nice

5/10

Spoiler

2. Ah i know this song and back in the days it was one of songs i really liked (it's Undead Corporation and title is Yoru Naku Usagi and something with Yume) this still has it's vibes that i liked about it still good vocal and oriental-ish feeling (at least for me) mostly because flute

8/10

Spoiler

3. this one is quite decent as well and kind of reminds me older eurobeat-ish songs for some reason  it feels quite fast paced for this round (maybe except Yoru Naki) it gets a little lower than usagi though

7/10

8 hours ago, Crusader Jerome said:

And only one of these was one of my submissions! (guess which one)

very wild guess but is it a Apparitions Stalk in the Night?

• Up 1

Calm Necrofantasia

Spoiler

That is a lovely piece.  Certainly very calm, the kind of thing I would play while writing.  It also has some actual build-up in it for the end, not all such pieces do.

That said . . . I don't really hear Necrofantasia in this.

8.5/10

Folk Eyes ~ Metal Moon

Spoiler

Such energy!  A powerful driving pace all throughout, even having moments of 'calm' that still keeps the pace while giving you a rest from the intensity.  There are a number of instruments at play, and the guitar, vocals, and flute (I think) are given moments to shine on their own, all very good.

9/10

Dancing with the Appiritions that Stalk the Night

Spoiler

More energy!  In fact, energetic might be my first word for this piece.  Interesting mix of piano and electronic here.  Only thing I could levy against it is that it doesn't change much until the end, but that's pretty minor.

8/10

16: fromadistance - The Daffodils
Well that's different.

It took me quite a while to find Necrofantasia in this arrangement, but finding it made me respect the piece very highly. The subtlety is in theme with the mood, feeling almost like a reference rather than the backbone of the remix. I love melodic ambience -- a serene style of music without progression in its arrangement but somehow featuring a properly progressing melody within -- and this fits into that category for me. It moves forward without really going anywhere, capturing the beauty of a moment rather than the wonder of a story.

Therefore, while the remix is slight at best, I will confidently rate the piece 8/10.

17: UNDEAD CORPORATION - The Dream of a Rabbit Singing in the Night
Back to the bangers!

I anticipated this being a forgettable rock remix, and instead received an amazing blend of folk instruments, BUTAOTOME vocals, and hard metal (and y'all know I like oriental folk hybrids). While it's not necessarily difficult to bridge the original theme's rough transition, it's rare enough that properly progressing remixes like this one stand out. Initially, I underestimated the importance of the vocals to the piece's progression; there's an off-vocal version of the track that relies more heavily on the flute, and the powerful effect of this piece is severely weakened by the change. The performance of said vocals could potentially be a bit stronger, and I'd appreciate the metal to be a bit less compressed, but these are extremely minor nitpicks.

Enthusiastically a 9/10.

18: PHOENIX Project - Apparitions Stalk the Night
Oh? You're approaching me?

A risky statement: this is one of my favorite Touhou remixes of all time. Similar to the previous entry, it seamlessly blends a variety of styles and instrument classes into a complete package that fully exploits their strengths in favor of the arrangement. Featured styles include metal, celtic, rag, baroque, classical, and others that I can't even put a proper name to. The result is a musical experience that manages to surprise at every transition without ever feeling out of theme. Managing at once to be a faithful adaptation of the original piece and one of the most imaginative takes on any Touhou theme, there are few remixes I've heard that can top this.

10/10, no regrets.

Hey i just found out, There's 1 impostor Among us 
image.thumb.png.8067a7723b63512f3f4eb468dde6707e.png

image.png.dd391528708637547d7f258f9ba088c7.png

Whoever this might be he left comment on one of my videos AND APPARENTLY this video is song that was posted few rounds before

i found you, you have nothing left but show yourself!

• Thinking 2

ah sorry i was in a trip for few days
i dont wanna type long on phone

Spoiler
Spoiler

The Daffodils

i suddenly think of this
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm33493995 may or may not be a touhou. me neither don't know.

kalm
can't tell if it's nostalgic vibes or sadness vibes.
the Necrofantasia quite subtle in the beginning, but it's getting more and more audible the farther into the music.
it's like how Gensokyo grow overtime.

3:16 came, it definitely saying about amazement of beauty, so mostlikely a nostalgic music.

wen you feel low, pls rember gensokyo
8/10

btw do we have the theme of Gensokyo itself? the world theme?

Spoiler

The Dream of a Rabbit Singing in the Night

we ever question how Jssf sort the submission.
now that Busker the one holding it, i throw to you too

the moment i heard that flute, i know what im listening to.
Undead Corp is one of the large circle, pretty sure most 2hu fans know em.
this one sticks out the most(?) from their works.

Folk Metal are weirdly one of the best genre
i say weird but electro swing also exist, so yeah

8.5/10
can't really be a 9 cause i listen too much

i really wanna know what type of flute it was.

Spoiler

Apparitions Stalk the Night

we ever question how Jssf sort the submission.
now that Busker the one holding it, i throw to you too

eyy Phoenix Project, they sadly one of the underrated circle
holyshit folk electro metal rock gothic rag
genre = yes

such energy

9/10

this gonna win

Jerome! you rated all 10! that's illegal!
Garison, he's challenging you!

• Haha 1

Alright, this is the final round!
First up, it's the return... of bardcore! NUE DRAGON NUE DRAGON

After that is a vocal arrangement of Primordial Beat ~ Pristine Beat.

And finally to cap off the tournament, we have one more ESQUARIA instrumental.

19: kaoruko - Bad Apple!! [Medieval Folk Arrangement]
Round 7: Round of Memories.

This remix is an impressive accomplishment on multiple levels. The artist timed things to match the original's animation, and at times this intention translates into a transcription effect (an especially evident example is the outro from 3:30). However, the complexity of instrumentation prevents the full piece from feeling like a complete transcription, managing instead to be a high quality arrangement that is uniquely stylistic. There is an instrument or two that breaks the immersion for me (specifically the ping sound at approximately 1:25 and elsewhere thereafter), but this is more relevant to the expectations of the piece rather than its essential quality. I will consider it to be what sets apart medieval folk from "bardcore," where the former is more strictly adherent to the historical limitations, and the latter builds upon its ideas and style.

9/10 seems a bit high, but I can't properly rate it any lower.

20: monochrome-coat - Song of Joy
LYRICS! WHERE?! WHY!?

What better theme to adapt into classic rock than Primordial Beat? My love for the original is based largely on instrumentation and pacing, so I was surprised how much I enjoyed this. Similarly to the first round's Apparitions remix, I recognize this style from music I grew up listening to, though this has significantly better audio quality compared to those older songs. Notice that the melody is exclusively carried by the vocals? If you were to remove them, you might not recognize this as a remix!

This marks the fourth song this tournament that I couldn't find the translated lyrics for. The title, "Song of Joy," has me very confused; it doesn't sound like a particularly joyful song, and the conflict of expectation versus perception is a bit distracting. Obviously I can appreciate the musical effect regardless, but the consideration bears mentioning.

With one to go, 8/10.

21: ESQUARIA - Everlasting Nap
What a note to end on.

We may have finally accomplished a heavy EDM song that uses its style to reinforce its progression rather than replacing it. The original piece has a simpler melody, in keeping to its theme, that interchanges between higher intensities and more ambient parts. This arrangement takes that format and amplifies it, contrasting the varying intensities with the familiar hard electric sounds and reverb-focused interludes. Granted, I still can't tell where the piece is going most of the time, but this time there is an advantage of the source theme have a similar pacing. This is meant to be a dreamy piece, and it accomplishes that intention perfectly.

I don't understand why they called it "Everlasting Nap," but that's just nitpicking. 8/10

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2021 at 8:26 AM, Dana Iclucia said:

There's 1 impostor Among us 

Sounds like a job for Discount-HolmesTM!

Spoiler

Let us review the evidence.

First: The comment on this video is the translated lyrics of the song, so whoever posted it had an interest in the meaning of the lyrics. Who among us shows consistent interest in lyrics?

Second: The channel was created recently, which means the playlist must also have been created recently. Who among us has recently mentioned compiling a playlist of the past tournament entries?

Third: As of RT4, three participants had uploaded unlisted videos for their submissions. Two of those videos are in the playlist, while the remainder are replaced by the channel's own uploads. Has someone among us re-uploaded their own submissions?

Clearly, the evidence all points to one person.

You all know where this is going.

Spoiler

It appears Buskerdog has a third archive channel!

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Haha 1
Spoiler

1. Usually folk stuff is hit or miss for me and even if it hits it's not that hard this however lands somewhere between in still it's not calm enough to make me sleep and just not my style to make me go nuts so it's a mediocre and so is a rating

7/10

Spoiler

2. awawawawaaa, i always gladly take Meramipop's vocals monochrome isn't really my favorite but it does it's job well, on other hand pristine beat is mediocre theme at best for me (i just can't catch a glimpse to it) so it's holding it back however because it's Meramipop it lands slightly higher than Folk Bad Apple

7.5/10

Spoiler

3. i'm pretty sure everyone who listened it already know whos submission it is so, i really love this one and it really lands close to my top songs (in general not only related to 2hu) i just love style and sampling in this one and how it's so "calm" along with fairly unusual progression and yet always when i hear it i need to listen it right to the end

10/10

good job! @Ken Hisuag

Spoiler

also it's good to know that one of videos uploaded by me is on this playlist lmao

Bard Apple

Spoiler

I'm a sucker for bardcore, and a sucker for Bad Apple. You can tell from that what I'm going to rate this.

It does help that this arranger consistently delivers in high quality.

Spoiler

this was my first submission. It dropped just a few days before the tournament started.

Epic Beats

Spoiler

I liked it. Not exactly my cup of tea, since I prefer melodic instrumentals in general, but it's not bad.

Rating: 7/10

ESQUARIA: Everlasting Nap

Spoiler

I'm usually not into squarewave mixes, but this is okay for listening. Not grating, but isn't all that memorable. Might have rated it higher if I knew the tune; I haven't listened to all the Hifuu Club albums.

Rating: 6.5/10

Bad Folk Apple

Spoiler

I'm very happy that these kind of arrangements have gotten more popular in recent years, and this, I think, is actually one of the better examples.  A good selection of instruments and they blend together very well, while remaining quite faithful to the original piece.

8/10

Primordial Rock

Spoiler

Pretty good, the vocals and instruments mix well, and it keeps a good pace without being intense.

7/10

Everlasting Nap

Spoiler

Hmm, this is an odd one.  There are some sections that are the peaceful sound I would expect out of something with that title, but there's also a lot of . . . I guess I would call it broken electronic?  It's unfortunate, really.  The piece is mostly a mess, but there are handful of really good phrases.

5/10

Spoiler

It seems as though Crusader Jerome is challenging my 10/10 ratings lol. Well, you all know what I have to do now… XD

Bad Apple!!

Spoiler

0:00 Nice drum beat. Very rhythmic.

0:15 Okay we’ve got some guitar over here.

0:29 Ayyy nice flute. Now I can see why it’s called Bardcore lol.

1:18 Dang, they’re going ham with the cymbal here.

Overall, like the medieval take on it. 10/10

Song of Joy

Spoiler

Song of joy, errr, looks like Raiko has an expression of like anger. Or maybe that’s just how she expresses her joy?

0:10 Surprisingly chill guitar

0:23 Calming vocal. Always cool to see a more relaxing take on Raiko’s theme, since it’s usually so intense with the drums.

Overall, pretty good. Like the drums on there. 10/10

Everlasting Nap

Spoiler

0:05 Sounds like there’s a clock in the background here.

0:29 Ok some heavy dubstep.

Overall, not really a fan of dubstep, so it’s a 10/10

• Haha 1
  • Stare 2

GARISON!! YOU!!

Spoiler
Spoiler

Kaoruko - Bad Apple!! [Medieval Folk Arrangement]

seriously?

the first thing i notice is
there's too much reverb

nice percussions, very fitting for the theme, just what i imagine how it sound in medieval.
the guitar though, is it me or it feel a bit rock-ish?

1:25 what are those droplets, that's too loud
noo you broke the medieval feeling

1:54 is great, the plucks also great.
much energy

although i like this one
i can't see myself picking this one from a playlist

7/10

Spoiler

monochrome-coat - Song of Joy

don't look at the comments

so yeah Classic Rock is great
those beats, those instruments, those melody and the voice
is indeed pristine

Love/10 

the lyrics i catch from listening alone, i feel like it talks about nostalgia and happy memories.
which is the case with it being classic rock

also this one in particular reminds me of Blue Oyster Cult - The Reaper
i still not satisfied with that though, i feel there's a song that resemble this one more than The Reaper, i just can't remember.

Spoiler

ESQUARIA - Everlasting Nap

Esquaria really dominating this tournament eh?

Dubstep eh? that's pretty nice

guess everyone comment is how they keep changing from kalm to intens so suddenly.

2:40 THERE!! TOUHOU!!

7.5/10

also the music man is obviously busker

On 5/4/2021 at 6:07 PM, Garison DeCrick said:
  Hide contents

It seems as though Crusader Jerome is challenging my 10/10 ratings lol. Well, you all know what I have to do now… XD

Bad Apple!!

Reveal hidden contents

0:00 Nice drum beat. Very rhythmic.

0:15 Okay we’ve got some guitar over here.

0:29 Ayyy nice flute. Now I can see why it’s called Bardcore lol.

1:18 Dang, they’re going ham with the cymbal here.

Overall, like the medieval take on it. 10/10

Song of Joy

Reveal hidden contents

Song of joy, errr, looks like Raiko has an expression of like anger. Or maybe that’s just how she expresses her joy?

0:10 Surprisingly chill guitar

0:23 Calming vocal. Always cool to see a more relaxing take on Raiko’s theme, since it’s usually so intense with the drums.

Overall, pretty good. Like the drums on there. 10/10

Everlasting Nap

Reveal hidden contents

0:05 Sounds like there’s a clock in the background here.

0:29 Ok some heavy dubstep.

Overall, not really a fan of dubstep, so it’s a 10/10

This is a joke... right?

Regardless of if you're actually sticking with any of those scores, I'd still like to see your actual in-depth opinions on these.

But of course, you were always planning to make another real review post later on... right?