What Music Player are you using?

Pepi

In this day and age, there are a ton of different devices capable of playing music and a lot of programs to achieve that. The choices you get are likely in the thousands.

But what is your preferred Music Player? It's more important than you think, almost everybody listens to music and the program must adapt to your use case and be reliable on a day-to-day basis.

The programs I use are:

Tauon Music Box:
  showcase3.thumb.webp.c9f766c996f34cd447c47fd751f13158.webp

Tauon is a Windows/Linux Music Player that has a lot of great features, it shines in the mix of complexity and simplicity it presents. My favorite features are that it treats any folder as an album and the ability to search without clicking anything.
Although I stopped using it due to audio cutting when the system load is high (the peak when you open a program, it skips like 0.10 seconds), it's pretty heavy for a music player.

Amberol:
Screenshot_20230624_213100.thumb.png.2649bc26549ba4a1098297124bc441f9.png

Amberol is a Linux only (you can run it on Windows with the WSL) Music Player that focuses on simplicity and a fancy UI. It's pretty fast and the interface couldn't be simpler, you also get a sidebar where all of your tracks appear. The biggest downside is the lack of features, but if you like that, it's Amberol's biggest strength.
I'm currently using it to avoid the issue I mentioned above with Tauon.

I will be honest, the reason I made this topic is to find a new music player that's a middle point between Tauon and Amberol.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jankop said:

I use the good ol' VLC on both my PC and phone but I'm looking for a different one specifically for my phone since VLC started to not work properly. I tried one called BSPlayer but it was literally BS :KoishiXD:

Hard to beat the glorious VLC.
Are you looking for a Music Player or one that does Video too? If that's the case, maybe try out MPV Android (i never used it) or search in google for open source Video/Music Players (it's important you search with the "open source" term because phone app stores are full of shady stuff and that guarantees your security)

It was very quick, but I found a program that's the middle point between Tauon and Amberol.

Strawberry Music Player:

Screenshot_20230625_092702.thumb.png.36436822df54162ad6c822d21f609cf2.png

It's a Windows/MacOS/Linux Music Player that has a lot of features, but it's pretty fast too. So far it's been working perfectly, and it feels pretty polished, although the interface is a little unintuitive at first.
Don't take seriously the "audiophile" label it uses on the website, it's just a music player, lol.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pepi said:

(it's important you search with the "open source" term because phone app stores are full of shady stuff and that guarantees your security)

FLOSS for Life! (though sadly I haven't changed everything to open-source yet) Open-source apps for this situation are extremely important as most video/audio players for phones are these "free audio video player 2025 update best quality movie"

• Like 2

Oh man, Depends. Usually I use Gmusicbrowser(Linux Only).

image.thumb.png.19e52349651ad0bb47b358f2820775e5.png

As you can see, It looks rather, plain. No special effects, no blows and whistles. It might also a bit of a pain to set up at first, but after that, I'd say It's pretty good.

Another Music player that I do like is QMMP(Windows/Linux).

image.png.4d45c1f68d38d647466e884bd8e6457a.png

It's meant to replicate Winamp, and indeed it does replicate it well. A major advantage of it is that it uses Classic Winamp skins with ease. So if you had a kool Goku skin for Winamp back in the day, you can use it on it with no problems whatsoever.

The last one is a bit of a wild card, I'd say. and that's MPV(Windows/Linux/Mac/BSDs).

image.png.a9b7be8180923e52cff02fc353fc4d1b.png

MPV runs and recognises everything, it runs fine, it supports .cue files, and a good amount of albums do come with them.

On my phone, I use Poweramp. There aren't any really good free music players on Android sadly. You need to pay for Poweramp, and of course you can find modded APKs of it, but at least, it's probably the best out of all the music players for Android.

• Like 3

using audacious, unsure if its on windows but its on linux for sure (installed via apt), mainly use it to play MIDIs but got touhou 6, 7, and 9 osts

but whats most important it has a support for a winamp layout and skins which i honestly prefer over the default theme and layout

On 6/25/2023 at 7:56 PM, BlueMoon said:

Another Music player that I do like is QMMP(Windows/Linux).

It's meant to replicate Winamp, and indeed it does replicate it well. A major advantage of it is that it uses Classic Winamp skins with ease. So if you had a kool Goku skin for Winamp back in the day, you can use it on it with no problems whatsoever.

might go and check out QMMP later tho, mainly for a friend

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found another music player that can utilize WINAMP's skins.

I was trying QMMP out and wow! It's blazing fast, and the skin mode is very compact for all the features it has, and it can look very pretty (look at my Sailor Saturn amp, ohh god it's great).
Unfortunately, the Linux version has some problems with Wayland, that's where Audacious comes in to save the day (it also looks more well maintained than QMMP)

Audacious:

It's available for Windows, MacOS and Linux.

Capturadesde2023-07-0912-44-01.thumb.png.95b0ec7e7a5a8ce030c4c42630aba661.pngCapturadesde2023-07-0912-43-22.thumb.png.6a370d1c3453785148e46e156b592ade.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wake up Babe, more music players!!!

Quod Libet:

Okay, it's available for pretty much every operating system but Android/iOS. This one surprised me with how well it works and how fast it is.
It manages to give 0% usage of CPU and no kind of audio skipping or malfunctioning. Although it's a little memory intensive at about 120MB of RAM.
I have to give them credit, it's written in python, and it's blazing fast. Tauon is also written in python, but it's like 5 times more resource intensive when you see the CPU usage.

It has good plugin support, and it's being very actively developed, with a new version every 3 months or so.

The developers say the focus of Quod Libet is to find a middle ground between music players entierly based on indexing the music tags and more simplistic ones that just read the folder name and treat it as the album name. They also say it scales well to libraries with 10.000 or more songs, something impressive once you notice that Tauon developers advice against doing this.

Quod Libet has become my main music player, it's too well-made. If you want to read more, check their website.

https://quodlibet.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#

And of course, the screenshot!

Capturadesde2023-09-1114-34-36.thumb.png.baa540a49a0e82a0391b7544cd1ed87f.png

• 2 months later...

I used to listen my music with "ES explorer" in my phone, but since my phone broke i now just use the Multimedia Player Windows already had... 

I'd wish i could found a nice player for both ".ogg, mp3, wav" and "midi" players.

Edited by NetsumuNico7

SuwalemDistractionor.gif.744734ef46cde9f46b278e64825ea1fe.gif

Wait that's me as a doll? Yeah, Alice helped me on doing those. She doesn't look like a doll! I played so much Lemmings on my pc, so i got some inspirations of this! Oh boy...

Sprite done by myself!

• 3 months later...