Sharing video essays and videos in general

Jaz:3

If anyone has any video essays (or just any video) you like or meaningful or cool or beautiful... this is it! Come and talk about it!...write about it. lol

I made this topic to talk about this video I'm about to show you. In fact, I just finished watching it. And I might also share other video essays that are meaningful to me. Maybe others will join me. Maybe it'll just be me here, who knows.

Here's the vid

{ The movie in the vid is "A silent voice" , the vid also have spoilers for the movie, so if you wanna watch it, be careful, I think alot of people might have seen this movie already....}

Spoiler

Thinking about the video made me remember earlier today I went to college with my friend and we ate and talked together, after the day was over and I walked back home, I actually smile, some other times too!

And it made me think some parts of me and my life and probably anyone in the world too, can relate to the feelings in the video and the movie. I haven't watched it in along time, I remember watching it with my sister tho, when I was younger, but I didn't pay much attention to the values that the movie offers. But now,... I think what is said in the video (also the message of the movie) is true.

I had some good days, some bad days, some terrible days, maybe you too. And at some point, I felt tired and miserable. I lost friends, one friend who I thought was close to me but wasn't. The environment, the people, it's just too much. But there are times where I smiled, I felt genuinely happy. Now I have new friends, friends who might look at me for who I am, acknowledge me, not treating me like some bystander... Maybe they'll stabbed me in the back one day but who knows. (the definition of a friend or a best friend or a true friend is always so uncertain...)

What I gathered for myself was that I'll always look back at the happy times, and from there I'll hopefully look forward to a life that is worth living, and at the present, I'll always keep trying.

I gotta make time to watch this movie again, I'll probably cry.

Edit:  if you can, please watch the movie, it is beautiful.

Edited by Jaz:3
Nah, I'd cry
  • Up 1

On 3/6/2024 at 11:30 PM, Jaz:3 said:

If anyone has any video essays (or just any video) you like or meaningful or cool or beautiful... this is it! Come and talk about it!...write about it. lol

I made this topic to talk about this video I'm about to show you. In fact, I just finished watching it. And I might also share other video essays that are meaningful to me. Maybe others will join me. Maybe it'll just be me here, who knows.

Here's the vid

{ The movie in the vid is "A silent voice" , the vid also have spoilers for the movie, so if you wanna watch it, be careful, I think alot of people might have seen this movie already....}

Reveal hidden contents

Thinking about the video made me remember earlier today I went to college with my friend and we ate and talked together, after the day was over and I walked back home, I actually smile, some other times too!

And it made me think some parts of me and my life and probably anyone in the world too, can relate to the feelings in the video and the movie. I haven't watched it in along time, I remember watching it with my sister tho, when I was younger, but I didn't pay much attention to the values that the movie offers. But now,... I think what is said in the video (also the message of the movie) is true. Delta Executor

I had some good days, some bad days, some terrible days, maybe you too. And at some point, I felt tired and miserable. I lost friends, one friend who I thought was close to me but wasn't. The environment, the people, it's just too much. But there are times where I smiled, I felt genuinely happy. Now I have new friends, friends who might look at me for who I am, acknowledge me, not treating me like some bystander... Maybe they'll stabbed me in the back one day but who knows. (the definition of a friend or a best friend or a true friend is always so uncertain...)

What I gathered for myself was that I'll always look back at the happy times, and from there I'll hopefully look forward to a life that is worth living, and at the present, I'll always keep trying.

I gotta make time to watch this movie again, I'll probably cry.

Edit:  if you can, please watch the movie, it is beautiful.

Thank You

Edited by dabomi2516
  • Like 1

Sorry I didn't get to this initially, I needed time to watch the video. It's well presented and organized, and uniquely personal, which makes it especially effective in communicating the theme of the film its reviewing. It's difficult for me to engage with it too well, though, as I'm lacking sympathetic perspective. Remember that the purpose of a story is to make its message relatable; a story portrays the understanding of the storyteller, who themself is capable of being right or wrong. I can appreciate the masterful way in which this particular story is told (and believe me I do), while also judging its message independent of its delivery. I do not believe the value of one's life is in either themselves or in their worth to others; rather, I understand each and every person to be a special creation of God, loved by Him, and therefore transcendentally valuable.

Now, to the thread subject:

I love video essays, as they often serve to explain the appeal something has to others when I either can't or have no interest in experiencing it myself (Internet Historian, Pyrocynical and Bricky are some good examples). Other times they can help deepen my appreciation for something I already enjoyed. Story theory and music theory are major hobbies of mine, and a major area where the two overlap is musicals. Sideways is one of the best in this field when it comes to analysis and commentary, both for his presentation and his original theory work (please check him out: https://www.youtube.com/@Sideways440).

But in the interests of linking only one video to this post for sake of emphasis, I'm going to prioritize Joseph Anderson's The Villain of Edith Finch. If you haven't heard of Joseph Anderson, he's known for his professional-level analysis of story and game design. This particular video wasn't the first I saw from him, but undoubtedly had the biggest impact on how I viewed games as a storytelling medium.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1
  • Up 1

TTT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 6:38 PM, buskerdog said:

I watch a lot of video essays, particularly related to game design, but this one here stands out as a spectacular video I think everyone should watch.

Hide contents

Yoooooo, I also watched this video, really cool, I follow this channel too. 

The other video that covers the korean drama with games is also really cool

On 3/30/2024 at 11:23 PM, Jaz:3 said:

Yoooooo, I also watched this video, really cool, I follow this channel too. 

The other video that covers the korean drama with games is also really cool

Forgot to mention this... it was specifically these two vids

Spoiler

Definitely two VERY long videos, but cover very cool topics. I like the second vid more tho. In the video he basically talks about many different things....such as a brief history about Korea (why it is how it is today and the involvement of America), politics (corruptions, and people being fed up), society (it's history of culture, and hierarchy), genders,....

Which leads to how those things lead to some problems of modern day Korea today, and gacha games is somehow related (which is interesting). From small things to the bigger picture, the vid is good (I like how he covers those topics).

• 3 weeks later...

It's time...  "Everything Is Television" ...

One of my favorite video on that channel as well as on the internet as a whole. Back in high school, and even till today, I related very much with this particular video (although I related to it harder back in high school). I felt like it had read my mind, my feelings, and spoke it out loud. This video might have helped me get through some... tough times back in high school, I have a LOT to talk about in those days, but... maybe when I have time (have I said this for like 2 or 3 times?).

He doesn't make videos that often, but when he does, it's always of good quality, lengthy, and probably detailed too. I got emotional when he also got emotional at the end (I think he was emotional) just trying to get the words out.

I believe in the video's final message.

I hope the vid helps yall in a good way.

BIG ASS WARNING: 

Not really serious or anything but I still think it's nice to do anyways. The video might be negative, hopeless throughout, but at the end it has a positive message. So please don't think too hard about some of these topics or watch the vid especially if you're not in a good mental state. (I don't think it's that bad but like watever).

Spoiler

Edited by Jaz:3
🐧🦖 penno like penguin and dinosaur, wait should it be pensaur? x2 cus I edit 2times