Citizens of Eientei! Your Princess calls you to War! Will you Answer?

Yumetou

spacer.png

Ladies and gentlemen! Our fair land is beset by twin beasts! Monsters beyond the scope of any Youkai! These maledictions are the horrid twins of Apathy and Boredom. Together, these foul menaces have cast a pall upon the land, and subjected you to untold hours of joylessness. No more, sisters and sisters! I am declaring a one-princess crusade against Eientei’s decline! With your help, we can slay these terrors, and give you minutes of entertainment whenever you log on. Join me in my righteous quest, and restore greatness to our land!

That said, I am sadly a newbie here, and haven’t had the chance to learn what appeals to the Moriya Shrine’s palette. Outside of ‘2hu’, ‘cute girls’ and possibly 'dank memes', that is. So, I am throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. If you see an idea you like, or even have a suggestion of your own, post it down below! If one of these has enough interest, I will run it for your viewing pleasure. An original character of your own creation, or a favorite from the series are both options for the games below. Just make sure its a character who fits the idea, and who you will enjoy playing.

Grim Queen’s Fantasy

Genre: Adventure

Spoiler

spacer.png

The peace and tranquility of a Gensokyo morning was broken that Spring morning by a great black ship floating in the sky. Strange Youkai flew down, snatching anyone they could find. Meanwhile, the silhouette of a castle being constructed mars the stones of Youkai Mountain. Can the maidens of Gensokyo save the land from this new threat?

Dreamy Café

Genre: Slice of Life

Spoiler

spacer.png

It appeared on the edge of the human village, on a spot overlooking the Misty Lake. A serene little coffee shop, with a fantastic menu of worldly delights. Anything a customer might desire could be found on it, and it was not unusual to see two people comparing identical menus, but seeing entirely different foods. The owner was a strange one, even for a place like Gensokyo. A silent woman with her eyes perpetually closed. But her cooking was universally praised, to the delight of all who came. The café may shift and change from day to day, but it is a welcome sight for any traveler or resident of the Eastern Wonderland.

Illusionary Nirvana

Genre: 4X Strategy

Spoiler

spacer.png

The magic which has sustained Gensokyo has begun to drain away. Without a source of magical power, the Youkai have fallen to fighting among themselves for what power remains. Danmaku battles are now a thing of the past as Fairies, Youkai and Humans now array themselves for battles like in the dark ages of Earth. Each led by some of the few to still possess magic. Empires and republics spring from what was once only known as Gensokyo, and warlords wander the land to carve out their own dominion. You are one of these queens, warlords or goddesses, building a nation from the rubble of Old Gensokyo. Will you save the land the gods loved, or take it for yourself?

Flan-Chan's Delightful Quest

Genre: Slice of Life/Adventure

Spoiler

spacer.png

Its another boring day in the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Little does anyone know, Flandre Scarlet has a special plan! Thanks to a new computer installed in her basement, she has discovered the world of Streamers and Influencers! After 495 + 21 years in the basement, the reclusive little sister dreams of being a big star in the hearts of everyone! With the help of her friends, nothing will stand in her way of becoming the most epic gamer of all time!

Become Fumo: War for Home

Genre: Adventure

Spoiler

spacer.png

Fumos are a new obsession for young Ty Angel. The loveable plushes had been an obsession of his, and at last the pack of dolls arrived. But the moment he leaves his room for school, the plushes come to life! Unfortunately, the fresh arrivals are not welcome in their new home, and the old toys want them out. With the power of friendship, an incorrigible smile, much bouncing and bullets, can you conquer Home for you and your friends?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Its a role play interest check. Eientei is meant to be the Roleplay center, but there has not been an active one in months. I think we should change that, and revive the fun of play-by-post roleplaying games.

The sections I have in spoilers are different ideas for roleplaying games. Each with different concepts and tones, to try and gauge what you guys would enjoy. I used to be huge into forum-based roleplay a decade ago. So I am alright playing for any level of experience, so long as we have enough people interested.

Have you ever been part of a roleplaying game before? Either tabletop or pbp forum roleplay?

Edited by Yumetou
  • Like 1

While I wouldn’t be opposed to it as a DM for dnd and someone who likes role playing from time to time, I’ll say that the lack of knowledge of most stuff you mentioned may make it difficult.(hell, I didn’t even know about play by post until just now). If it where to start up, I wouldn’t really mind it though.

18 hours ago, Yumetou said:

Its a role play interest check. Eientei is meant to be the Roleplay center, but there has not been an active one in months. I think we should change that, and revive the fun of play-by-post roleplaying games.

The sections I have in spoilers are different ideas for roleplaying games. Each with different concepts and tones, to try and gauge what you guys would enjoy. I used to be huge into forum-based roleplay a decade ago. So I am alright playing for any level of experience, so long as we have enough people interested.

Have you ever been part of a roleplaying game before? Either tabletop or pbp forum roleplay?

These are fun, do we vote which path to pursue or smthing?

• Like 1

@jankop @Juunimeta Since you two are new to the idea, let me walk you through the concept. Forum Roleplaying, Play-by-Post Roleplaying or PbP is a style of role playing game. Unlike Tabletop or Live Action Roleplays, there is a focus on storytelling rather than rules, mechanics or even party cohesion. PbP games are often sparse on rules, with the game itself typically being freeform. What rules there are, typically are common sense. Don't control other characters, try to emulate a similar power level to other players, etc. Though more ambitious or professional games may have additional rules, like those emulating board games.

Usually, each person plays a single character, often formalized on a character sheet to show what their personality and capabilities are. In many ways, its more like writing a cooperative story than playing a typical game. Continuing the story from the previous role player's post from your own character's perspective. Like in a tabletop, there is a Game Master, typically the one who starts the topic. They will control NPCs, pose the plot to the players, push the antagonists and mediate disputes between players.

So let's say the three of us agreed to play a game together. As GM, I would post any rules or requirements I had, along with a character sheet I would need you two to fill in a thread like this, often referred to as an OoC (Out of Character or Out of Context). I would then make an In Character (IC) thread with the game's title, such as 'Flan-Chan's Delightful Quest (IC)'. My first post here opens the story and painting the starting location like a DM's opening narration. Jankop would then post their character's opening and reaction to what was happening. Allowing Juuni to follow up and interact with Jan, the NPCs or both. You two could then interact among yourselves and the NPCs, or I would make another post detailing something else happening.

@Saathi That's right. The options I listed are just my ideas for games. I wasn't sure what tone you would all be interested in, whether serious or comedic, adventure or slice-of-life etc. So I came up with a potpourri of options, some serious and others not, at varying levels of skill. That said, I am equally willing to play an RP premise one of you suggest. If I feel like one or two of these has enough interest, I'll run it for anyone interested. So, feel free to request more than one or suggest your own.

And since I know this will be a question, yes you can play your favorite Touhou characters for these. Yes, you can play an Original Character if you prefer. The only exception is if we decide to play Become Fumo, we aren't actually playing Touhou characters, but marketable plushies based on them.

• Like 3

I’ll be honest, I had no idea what to expect when I posted this. Part of me thought no one would reply at all. I’m glad to see all my ideas are getting some love. I’ll probably wait a couple more days to hear any more questions or requests before I decide which I’ll run. I only really have time to run two or three RPs, so some of them will have to be put off. For now, Dreamy Café is the only one I’ll definitely run. Which makes sense. Its more of a relaxed atmosphere, with plenty of opportunities to encounter Touhou characters, enjoy Slice-of-life shenanigans and go on character-focused adventures. Make sure you get any questions or votes in! I'll announce the RPs we will be playing this Saturday. If there is a tie or there isn't a preference among the four other ideas, I'll pick one or two which I most enjoy. I'll keep this topic up as an OoC as well as to answer questions and talk over ideas.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Yumetou said:

I’ll be honest, I had no idea what to expect when I posted this. Part of me thought no one would reply at all. I’m glad to see all my ideas are getting some love. I’ll probably wait a couple more days to hear any more questions or requests before I decide which I’ll run. I only really have time to run two or three RPs, so some of them will have to be put off. For now, Dreamy Café is the only one I’ll definitely run. Which makes sense. Its more of a relaxed atmosphere, with plenty of opportunities to encounter Touhou characters, enjoy Slice-of-life shenanigans and go on character-focused adventures. Make sure you get any questions or votes in! I'll announce the RPs we will be playing this Saturday. If there is a tie or there isn't a preference among the four other ideas, I'll pick one or two which I most enjoy. I'll keep this topic up as an OoC as well as to answer questions and talk over ideas.

Yah the forum is pretty(if not very) inactive nowadays

Happy Saturday! I hope your evenings have all been going well, and you are all getting some rest and relaxation. I can't wait to get started with you guys. I have a few questions about what you would like from the second and perhaps third game I run, but for now, let's talk about Dreamy Café!

Dreamy Café is meant as a not-so-serious game. Its rules light, and will be a little bit of everything. A little adventure, a little bit more of slice-of-life. Some drama, some comedy, where you'll all be able to hang out together or with your favorite Touhou characters. In short, its a highly flexible but lowkey game premise, where you will be free to do anything you want. Whether that is getting roped into investigating the mystery of this strange new coffee house by nosey customers. Resolving a minor incident with your favorite shrine maiden and her friends. Confessing your love to your crush, or simply enjoying a cup of tea with your friends.

Below, I have a character sheet for you each to fill out. Its a pretty simple character sheet, and should only take a few moments. I've also filled out the sheet for the owner of the Dreamy Café, to give you an example of what a filled sheet might look like. When you've filled out the sheet, just post it here. I'll either approve it, or request changes. After you are approved, you can feel free to post. I am hoping to post the opening for Dreamy Café tomorrow sometime.

Character Sheet for Dreamy Café

Spoiler

Name:  
Species: 
Abilities: 
Personality: 
Background: 

Example Character Sheet

Spoiler

Name: Ayume
Sex: Female
Species: Human
Abilities: Sensory Manipulation, Illusory Reality (localized)
Personality: At first glance, Ayume may seem apathetic to an outside observer. With her closed eyes, lax posture and long stares. Silent and deadpan, Ayume’s mood is difficult to grasp. She typically tries to keep interactions to a minimum. When forced to communicate with others, she resorts to pantomime, or drawing pictographs to express herself. In truth, this is not intended as rudeness, but due to her own difficulty connecting with others. Lacking experience making friends, Ayume is wary of closeness, often preferring to watch others from a distance.
Background: A recent arrival to Gensokyo through the Dream World, Ayume’s history prior is know only to herself. Though appearing as a fairly normal Japanese girl, she is unusual among the humans of the outside world. Her eyes remain perpetually closed, yet she seems to see with no difficulty. She is unable to read or write, and seems slow to befriend the natives of Gensokyo. For four days after appearing, she simply seemed content to wander the countryside. Earning money with sales of cakes and sweets. Before coming upon the shores of the Misty Lake.
It was here she opened the Dreamy Café. A modest but startling structure overlooking the foggy waters. Through word of mouth, the startling array of food and its unusual qualities spread among the natives of Gensokyo. After only two weeks, Fairies, Youkai and Humans alike have slowly come to frequent the Dreamy Café. She can seemingly be found at all hours in her café, and lacks any strong connections, despite the clientele who frequent her establishment.

• Like 1

Alright, let’s get the fun part done then.

Name: Aya Shameimaru

Species: Tengu

Abilities: Manipulate the wind, Fastest in all of gensokyo(self proclaimed, but never proven wrong)

Personality: Always has an ear to the latest stories, and stops at nothing to get the story. Sociable and prides herself in being honest, but others find her to exaggerate frequently and twist some truths. She doesn’t try to cause problems, but when people interfere with her work she definitely doesn’t enjoy it. She also has a more serious side when necessary.

Background: Being a reporter, she’s been everywhere. Involved in around four incidents earlier, she’s out looking for the latest story again, when a new building on the edge of the village piques her interest. Curious, she dons her undercover reporter clothes and sets off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MoeNwe said:

Ah, one thing I need to ask. Is it ok if someone submitted a character sheet after the rp has started? A friend of mine just finished his exam and he's taking a big rest rn so...

Of course. :) Anyone can join at any time. When they are free, they just need to fill the sheet and get it approved. No one should worry if they have to take a break for a few weeks or have to go on hiatus. Just let us know here, and jump back in when you can.

• Like 1

Name:  Kosuzu Motoori
Abilities: Deciphering books
Personality: Sweet, considerate but also cowardly. She is worried a lot about some stuff even when she realizes that it sounds too stupid to be true.
Background: Not much is known, she has known Reimu and Marisa for some time.

sorry for the blatant copy pasting from the wiki

• Like 1

Also, can we control characters related to our own if noone else plays as them? For example, since Akyuu is a good friend of Kosuzu, the character I selected, can I say that Kosuzu went to the cafe with Akyuu and create dialog for both of them etc?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jankop said:

Also, can we control characters related to our own if noone else plays as them? For example, since Akyuu is a good friend of Kosuzu, the character I selected, can I say that Kosuzu went to the cafe with Akyuu and create dialog for both of them etc?

Normally, that's not advisable in RPs, but this game should be flexible enough that will be no problem. You can play both, though if Akyuu is going to go on adventures with Kosuzu, I'll need you to fill out a sheet for her too. If she's just going to be hanging out at the café and chatting however, you won't need to fill out a sheet for her.

Happy to see my other favorite bookworm showing up in the game (can't decide between Kosuzu and Patchy). Your sheet is *mostly* approved. If you flesh out her backstory a little more, you are good to go. :) A couple more sentences will be enough.

Name:  Alice Margatroid
Species: Magician
Abilities: Doll Magic
Personality: People usually say that she's a cold person. (What part of her is 'cold', huh???) But it seems that she shows quite some hospitality to those who gets lost in the Forest of Magic. As she was once a human, she's pretty considerate of humans.
Background: (Start of I'm going to put my headcanon here)

Alice was a human learning magic who (somehow) found her way to Makai. By the time Mystic Square incident happened, she's become a half-youkai. (Consider that she can use the Grimoire and also called Reimu 'human', but can't see Yuuka when she followed Alice) It was some times after that incident that she became a complete youkai.

Edited by MoeNwe
What does 'she's shows' mean???
  • Like 3

@Yumetou I've updated the character sheet

Name: Kosuzu Motoori
Abilities: Deciphering books
Personality: Sweet, considerate but also cowardly. She is worried about a lot of stuff even when she realizes that it sounds too stupid to be true.
Background: She has known Reimu and Marisa for some time and she also likes to hang out with youkai like Mamizou Futatsuiwa despite Akyuu and Reimu saying that they shouldn't be trusted. She works part-time at her family's business, a book rental shop at the human village called "Suzunaan". She is good friends with Akyuu, due to their shared interest in books. She likes collecting books, as well as youma books, a rare book written by a youkai. She claims to have the biggest collection of them.

• Like 3