Something I think I noticed in the DMCA complaints from ZUN

PneumaAsh

Title

I was taking a close look through exactly what games and URLs were linked in the DMCA complaints, and I noticed that Touhou 6, 7, 8, and 9 were not included (images taken from Nitorium's posts)

image.png

image.png

Mentioned games (in number order): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7.5, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, 12, 12.3, 12.5, 12.8, 13, 14, 14.3, 15, 16, 16.5, 17, 18

Missing games (in number order): 6, 7, 8, 9, 13.5, 14.5, 15.5, 17.5

AKA the games available on Steam, the PC98 games, and some of the fighting games

Could the mention of "pirated content" be referring exclusively to the games that are available on Steam (and also the PC98 games/OSTs)?

I own every currently available non-fighting Touhou game on Steam,

image.png.71401dae06e4e5e598fa15cef8be2d70.png

And the only currently missing main line Windows games are 6-9

Could ZUN or Fumio have intentionally not included them, because there's no current way for us to purchase them in a way that benefits ZUN? I myself may have bought a physical copy of every integer Windows game, but none of that money made it to ZUN, and there's no other way for us to legitimately as far as I know

I bring this up at all because I wonder if it would be possible for Moriyashrine to continue hosting 6 through 9, or otherwise figure out a way to work out something better than "bye-bye"

If I'm missing information, got anything wrong, or otherwise, please let me know, I am new to the forum side of this site

sss

ssWhat intrigues me more is that 1-5 were also included. like, they're INCREDIBLY rare and pricey, you need to emulate them and ZUN also doesn't have the code (afaik) they're not produced anymore since a loooong time as well and they're abandonware there's absolutely NO way they will EVER be sold at west (and even if you somehow found physical copy online shipping will be the least of your issues because we're talking about spending literally TENS of thousands dollars (some sources: https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=18565.0 

i can understand windows era games (especially 10+) but this is just something that can't let off my mind

Second thing i'm not 100% sure about that but i heard several rumors that ZUN supposedly lost rights to 98 era games excluding Reimu, Marisa and Yuuka

20 hours ago, PneumaAsh said:

Could ZUN or Fumio have intentionally not included them, because there's no current way for us to purchase them in a way that benefits ZUN? I myself may have bought a physical copy of every integer Windows game, but none of that money made it to ZUN, and there's no other way for us to legitimately as far as I know

That's what been sort of bothering me cause I don't know if the publisher would be receiving the vast majority of the profit compared to ZUN, I could definitely be missing something here but I'm guessing ZUN doesn't have his fair share when it comes to the games?

I'm probably wrong here so I welcome anyone to correct me here.

8 hours ago, Shionne Imeris said:

Second thing i'm not 100% sure about that but i heard several rumors that ZUN supposedly lost rights to 98 era games excluding Reimu, Marisa and Yuuka

Wait, since when did this happen?

I personally don't believe in the rumors myself but I am rather curious about it, how did this come to be?

The cut that the publisher for the Steam releases is receiving depends entirely on their contract with ZUN, but it's safe to assume he's not getting 100% of it

Actually, now that I think about it, it's weird that he's never put the games up on some storefront himself (Itch .io, his own service, etc.)

I wish I could buy every game for the 3rd time, but give 100% of the profits directly to him

Makes sense, perhaps he revives 30%-40% of the profit?

At this point I can only make uneducated guess on why he doesn't have his own service for his games.

Or maybe I'm missing something?

I don't know how much the split is in this case, but from what I read on average it seems to be 70/30 (70 to dev 30 to publisher), give or take 10. So ZUN should be getting the better end here. But maybe I'm oversimplifying things.

(also before that, Valve takes 30%)

everything is just peachy tonsh.gif.0b4075faabf61d7265e5c3fea342964f.gif

11 hours ago, TheM3ds said:

Wait, since when did this happen?

I personally don't believe in the rumors myself but I am rather curious about it, how did this come to be?

based on what i've heard it's been a long time ago, while i'm obviously taking it with a grain of salt like every rumor sometimes they do have at least a little bit of true.

but as i said before what boggles my mind the most is: why DMCA strike the games that are almost no longer available, they're for long time outdated system and such.

4 hours ago, Shionne Imeris said:

but as i said before what boggles my mind the most is: why DMCA strike the games that are almost no longer available, they're for long time outdated system and such.

What's interesting about that is that it wasn't the games themselves that got DMCA struck, it was the OSTs

I know that you can buy/stream some of ZUN's albums off of iTunes and Spotify, so I wonder if the issue they're taking with the OSTs is the same as I'm perceiving with the games: the problem isn't that they're available for free download, it's that they're available for proper commercial purchase elsewhere

11 hours ago, Tenkko said:

I don't know how much the split is in this case, but from what I read on average it seems to be 70/30 (70 to dev 30 to publisher), give or take 10. So ZUN should be getting the better end here. But maybe I'm oversimplifying things.

(also before that, Valve takes 30%)

Thanks for the deets! I had a vague sense of how those splits checked out but that helps!

Archived