what is the correct pronounciation of touhou?

ReisenFanatic17

• ReisenFanatic17 changed the title to what is the correct pronounciation of touhou?

The question was already answered but here is a slightly unrelated but interesting fact:

Most touhou character names, including the word touhou, are direct romaji translations from Japanese. This means that if you were to use a Japanese keyboard, you could literally type out the character's name in English and it properly translates into the Japanese letters. It works even if you have no idea how to read Japanese, so the trick can come in handy if you combine this with a computer narrator to learn proper pronounciation.

Reimu -> れいむ

Marisa -> まりさ

Cirno does not work -> しrの

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 8:00 AM, kymoh said:

The question was already answered but here is a slightly unrelated but interesting fact:

Most touhou character names, including the word touhou, are direct romaji translations from Japanese. This means that if you were to use a Japanese keyboard, you could literally type out the character's name in English and it properly translates into the Japanese letters. It works even if you have no idea how to read Japanese, so the trick can come in handy if you combine this with a computer narrator to learn proper pronounciation.

Reimu -> れいむ

Marisa -> まりさ

Cirno does not work -> しrの

isn't cirno チルノ (chiruno)?

• Thinking 1

I remember over 10 years ago, I was in a voice chat where I talked about 2hu with other people and i said out loud “have you guys heard of 2hu” (phonetically twowho) and everyone in that voice chat stopped talking. Someone then proceeded to say, “what did you say Macbeth????” I just went uhhh twowho, the game, then the server owner proceeded to move everyone in the server to the channel and told me to say it again, I said “twowho” again and everyone proceeded to laugh their butts off

• Haha 1

I'm pretty sure I heard "toh-hoh".

Reading these commends made me think of something that is semi-related to this: Are there, in fact, 'closet Touhou fans'? For one reason or another, maybe the real life people may not wanna admit it or something?

Just one Touhou fan I could talk to in real life would be so nice...

Spoiler

"It takes a lot to make a quality product. Be that an animation, doujin or game. Finding time alone can be a challenge. But nothing burns quite as much as throwing in so much work and make something good. Only for no one to care. But trust me. Someone will. It just sometimes takes awhile." -Yumetou

Reading these commends made me think of something that is semi-related to this: Are there, in fact, 'closet Touhou fans'? For one reason or another, maybe the real life people may not wanna admit it or something?

probably. I think there might be more people who are into touhou out there that we actually think, but i have a theory that it might be cuz touhou is relatively a niche thing, so is more more possible that people around you don't know it

• Thinking 1

On 2/3/2024 at 5:03 PM, Hikiko Hime said:

I'm pretty sure I heard "toh-hoh".

Just one Touhou fan I could talk to in real life would be so nice...

YOU ARE SAYING THE WORDS FROM THE GOSPEL HERE! I wish I knew some 2hu friends irl. I work at some office job so its all full of old farts that probably never heard of 2hu. Once I met some people though in the office that knew about anime and I took my shot asking if they ever heard of 2hu. They just made a "huh?" face and said they never heard of anything like it. I was thinking when I beat Th11 in lunatic, I'll put a picture of the score i got in my office... not sure if i should do it...

Edited by Macbeth
  • Thinking 1

On 2/3/2024 at 2:23 PM, suyu_ said:

probably. I think there might be more people who are into touhou out there that we actually think, but i have a theory that it might be cuz touhou is relatively a niche thing, so is more more possible that people around you don't know it

Oh that much is true but it seems that no matter how much I try through games (official or fanmade) artwork, music or any other thing, there's almost like an outright rejection of it or some kind of typical "Yea but 'mainstream x' series is so much better" as if even admitting to liking Touhou or any other 'niche' series is a bad thing, though what I receive the most is just "...Ok." like truly not interested.

I insist there are more into it than we think too since, to this day, fan content is still being made. I refuse to believe they are all solely from Japan and the only 'westerners' are us. It just doesn't add up...

6 hours ago, Macbeth said:

YOU ARE SAYING THE WORDS FROM THE GOSPEL HERE! I wish I knew some 2hu friends irl. I work at some office job so its all full of old farts that probably never heard of 2hu. Once I met some people though in the office that knew about anime and I took my shot asking if they ever heard of 2hu. They just made a "huh?" face and said they never heard of anything like it. I was thinking when I beat Th11 in lunatic, I'll put a picture of the score i got in my office... not sure if i should do it...

And I live by the words of what I preach, my friend~ (Or try to hehe)

'When" so you still are working on it? But that means you're able to beat Hard which is already an impressive achievement! When you do achieve it, show me! Might inspire me to keep going in TH12.5

Anyway while I know the feeling of wanting to tell everyone about your awesome 2hu scores, "old farts" might consider it unprofessional to post a picture of a game with 'Japanese cartoon girls'. Its frustrating, but that's  just how things are. You know the situation better there, but I'm not sure if your workplace is the best area to do that. How about your fridge at home instead? Lol.

That "huh" reaction hurt me to think about as I've encountered countless instances of that. I had a similar situation where someone found Rei'sen cute and I tried to expand as much as I could on her but possibly overdid it since the eventual response was "Oh ok." with no further interest. It stings, it truly does... And this was one of the best case scenarios. I've run into hostility so much more.

My advice is to try to hold that excitement in for now and slowly get into more detailed conversations about anime and games with those who know about it, learn their tastes and when you feel like taking a chance, do it in a subtle way like a really cool pic of a 2hu character that is close to what they like.

There's also a chance they might have run into Touhou characters, thinking they were 'original characters' or something. Or if they're into a particular archetype, try to reel 'em in with that. Even if their preferences are shallow at first, any interest is better than none. Here's hoping we both find real life 2hu friends someday!

Summed up, I advise against doing such things at work specifically, but to try to go for it with patience when there's low to no risk and not to get disheartened. The Shrine is always open after all~

Spoiler

"It takes a lot to make a quality product. Be that an animation, doujin or game. Finding time alone can be a challenge. But nothing burns quite as much as throwing in so much work and make something good. Only for no one to care. But trust me. Someone will. It just sometimes takes awhile." -Yumetou