What game has your favorite cast of characters?

Juuni

As the title says, which touhou has your favorite cast? For me, it’s a tie between SA and UFO, as they contain my favorite character dynamics in the series. For example, multiple of SA’s characters rank really high for me, with the only characters I don’t care about being parsee, kisume, and Koishi, and even they fit the game well. Overall, any dynamic with satori is awesome to see and the other characters do a lot of cool stuff in the series, like yamame’s small part in 17.5. UFO has my favorite group dynamic, with all the characters complimenting each other super well. Byakuren holds it all together, shou is the air headed one, Nazrin basically tends to shou out of necessity, ichirin is the calm one, and Murasa is the bold one. This creates my favorite character group in the series, and I really want another cast that does this kind of web of dynamics well.

• Like 3

SA has my favourite cast and I agree that all of those characters fit really well together! I love their different personalities and hearing their themes made me appreciate them even more. Parsee has been my favourite for years, but the rest of the characters are equally special to me. It was nice to see a few of them return in spinoffs like Foul Detective Satori and touhou 17.5. I love the casts from the other games too and there isn't a single touhou character that I dislike. Looking at cute fanart helped me to enjoy more characters dynamics as well like with Murasa and Ichirin.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2023 at 9:39 AM, Juunimeta said:

As the title says, which touhou has your favorite cast? For me, it’s a tie between SA and UFO, as they contain my favorite character dynamics in the series. For example, multiple of SA’s characters rank really high for me, with the only characters I don’t care about being parsee, kisume, and Koishi, and even they fit the game well. Overall, any dynamic with satori is awesome to see and the other characters do a lot of cool stuff in the series, like yamame’s small part in 17.5. UFO has my favorite group dynamic, with all the characters complimenting each other super well. Byakuren holds it all together, shou is the air headed one, Nazrin basically tends to shou out of necessity, ichirin is the calm one, and Murasa is the bold one. This creates my favorite character group in the series, and I really want another cast that does this kind of web of dynamics well.

So um, I feel like you got Nazrin and Shou mixed up, if anything. Also, I don't feel like anyone from the Myouren Temple is necessarily air-headed (except Unzan, because c'mon. He's a cloud). Shou's design is based off of tigers and Nazrin is a... rat general? I don't know, I don't care for the Buddhists much, so I may be wrong.

As for SA with Former Hell, the Old Capital, Chireiden aka the Palace of Earth Spirits, and the Former Hell of Blazing Fires, I honestly like all of them. Combined with the fact that it has Reimu, Marisa, Yukari, Suika, Aya, Alice, Patchouli, Nitori, Kisume, Yamame, Parsee, Yuugi, Orin, Satori, Okuu, Sanae, Koishi, and Suwako all in one game, I believe that's the most characters out of the main danmaku games (aside from the Phantasmagorias).

Almost all of them have well thought out character designs, personalities, and backgrounds (sorry Kisume, Yamame and Parsee, you guys don't have too much). SA is by far my favorite in terms of characters and story (Kanako told Okuu to eat a god that isn't too far from being cannibalism and then she became the sun). As the last of the early-modern Windows era games before ZUN finally got good at drawing, I say that it wrapped it all up nicely.

Also I pity what you may go through if you say this so casually again lol.

On 4/15/2023 at 9:39 AM, Juunimeta said:

with the only characters I don’t care about being parsee, kisume, and Koishi

Edited by OkuuFallout
Clarifying Unzan joke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OkuuFallout said:

So um, I feel like you got Nazrin and Shou mixed up, if anything. Also, I don't feel like anyone from the Myouren Temple is necessarily air-headed (except Unzan, because c'mon. He's a cloud). Shou's design is based off of tigers and Nazrin is a... rat general? I don't know, I don't care for the Buddhists much, so I may be wrong.

As for SA with Former Hell, the Old Capital, Chireiden aka the Palace of Earth Spirits, and the Former Hell of Blazing Fires, I honestly like all of them. Combined with the fact that it has Reimu, Marisa, Yukari, Suika, Aya, Alice, Patchouli, Nitori, Kisume, Yamame, Parsee, Yuugi, Orin, Satori, Okuu, Sanae, Koishi, and Suwako all in one game, I believe that's the most characters out of the main danmaku games (aside from the Phantasmagorias).

Almost all of them have well thought out character designs, personalities, and backgrounds (sorry Kisume, Yamame and Parsee, you guys don't have too much). SA is by far my favorite in terms of characters and story (Kanako told Okuu to eat a god that isn't too far from being cannibalism and then she became the sun). As the last of the early-modern Windows era games before ZUN finally got good at drawing, I say that it wrapped it all up nicely.

Also I pity what you may go through if you say this so casually again lol.

To clarify on my UFO cast opinion, Shou is a youkai who would have disappeared due to lack of belief in tiger youkai, so bishamonten offered to make her an avatar of him. Bishamonten then sent Nazrin down to watch over shou to make sure she does her job. Nazrin has to watch over shou, but doesn’t really want to, hence out of necessity. Shou is pretty air headed, as that trait causes her to lose quite a bit of items, which is where the shou losing the pagoda joke came from, and has Nazrin look for the lost stuff with her ability.

also, I’m totally aware of my not amazing opinion on Koishi. I don’t like silly little sister types, so a good amount of her character is lost on me. I really only like her lore. I don’t love Flandre for similar reasons, but 17.5 helped give her some character beyond what she had.

• Like 2

It'd have to be a tie between UFO and WBaWC for me. UFO's cast feels the most solid out of the three for me, and while none of them are my outright favorite characters in the series, or even really top 10 aside from Nue Houjuu, it has the most consistently enjoyable characters of any game in the series for me, with the only one I'm not a fan of to some extent being Ichirin.

WBaWC on the other hand is kind of the exact opposite of this, as while none of the characters introduced in the game's first half really do anything at all for me, the ones in the second half are all great in my opinion, and I really enjoy all of the animal realm lore stuff this game introduced. Yachie is the type of scheming bastard character I love to see in any kind of fiction, Keiki's whole thing of being a kind of "false savior" to the humans in the Primate Spirit Garden makes her really stand out to me amongst the rest of the cast, and everything Saki has going on feels like it was written specifically to appeal to me. I didn't mention Mayumi at all there, since she doesn't do quite as much for me as the rest of the second-half characters, but even she's still kind of cool in my opinion.

So yeah, I'm not entirely sure which one of these two games has my "favorite" cast of characters, since it depends on if you prefer consistent 8/10 characters or an even split between 10/10 and 2/10 characters, but it's definitely one of them.

• Like 3