What would happen if the Hakurei Barrier is gone?

Sir I

I was writing a story (of sorts) to this effect, where the Hakurei Barrier collapsed and Gensokyo integrated into the world again. Have yet to finish it.

I'd imagine the first notable sightings would be of youkai/creatures with some kind of (especially American or European) foothold, whether in pop culture, more traditional tales, or both - think vampires (Remi, Flan, Kurumi*, Elis*), headless horseman/the dullahan (Sekibanki), mermaids (Wakasagihime), or werewolves (Kagerou). 

Also perhaps some more low-level/natural phenomenon youkai, like Rumia (darkness), Wriggle (insects), and so on. Not sure where everyone's favorite ice fairy would be. As for the human/human-like "side" of Gensokyo, anyone's guess really.

Moriya Shrine would probably return/merge with the IRL Grand Suwa Shrine. No clue where Reimu herself would end up, considering Hakurei Shrine doesn't have a real-life counterpart. (to my knowledge - feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken)

Other realms of Touhou (Hell, Heaven, Underground/Ancient City, Makai*/Hokkai, etc.) also would be a toss-up.

* - PC-98 elements. Mentioned for sake of completeness.

Edited by Kurzov

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, wumzly said:

definitely a huge culture shock to everyone in that situation

bc youkai and stuff but also the Gensokyo citizens would see new inventions and stuff and be confused

I’m not sure for that since Gensokoyo is already a weird cultural mix, there are mansions, East Asian infrastructures, Western style houses etc…

For the inventions, I guess they have already seen everything (expect humans who never went out the human village I guess). Aya already have a camera, Koishi a phone (in a way we can say she has one 😅), gramophones already exists…

• Like 1

1- Clownpiece would join US army to try stealing oil from Gensokyo and it would start a racial war between youkais and humans

2- Or they'd just start a big human immigration to develop a country, bringing human technologies and replacing Gensokyo culture with theirs, and within time, this exploration would be a myth in the nation that Gensokyo would become, turning the human conflicts that would happen into it's real history, and the youkais would live isolated in caverns and etc, meanwhile, the humans that actual exist in Gensokyo would probably end up dying because of a genocide or due to illnesses brought by the immigrants

3- Gensokyo would start a war against humanity and conquer Japan using youkais, turning it into a bigger Gensokyo territory, following to conquer the whole Asia. When other country try a naval invasion to Gensokyo, they'd more likely use fairies as kamikazes (battotai starts playing)  and win the battle, trying using bombs wouldn't work in Gensokyo since they have youkais protecting the skies, it means not even modern human technologies like the atomic bomb would stop Gensokyo advance (alright, i think i kinda went way too far with this xd)

R.png