Decided to make a tier list of Touhou games, feel free to respond with your own

Cosmic

The title says it all, really. I decided to make a tier list of my favorite Touhou games, taking into account both gameplay and story, and wanted to post it here. I don't really know what the general consensus on most games in the series is, but from what I do know, I'm pretty sure there are some strange takes in here, so I'm looking forward to seeing the responses.

EDIT: I just realized that the one I didn't know was PoFV, that one goes in banger games tier above subterranean animism but below soku

Touhou tier list.png

Edited by Cosmic
  • Like 1
  • Up 1

I have to agree with Imperishable Nights, Which is my all time favorite

it is a Masterpiece, Mainly Because of the Characters, Music, and Story

Plus I Liked the Time Orb Mechanic as it forces the player to graze less in order to meet certain time quota's so that the girls may make it on time

I don't know on the rest I've only really played Touhou 1-11 and I've only beaten IN, and ,POFV

PoFV was pretty good and Shikieiki was an pretty cool boss. 

I too am a fan of UFO and IN, lots of cool bullet patterns, generous resource systems, and some of the best soundtracks in the series in those games.  And I'd also agree with putting TD at the bottom, for basically the opposite reasons lol.

15 hours ago, Crayo said:

I too am a fan of UFO and IN, lots of cool bullet patterns, generous resource systems, and some of the best soundtracks in the series in those games.  And I'd also agree with putting TD at the bottom, for basically the opposite reasons lol.

I wasn't even considering soundtracks but that's a great point, IN has my favorite in the entire series and UFO's is pretty great too. And yeah, TD felt a little too easy imo, I played on normal and the only remotely challenging bits were the Miko fight and the extra stage. Futo's funny though, I like her, and Mamizou's a great character too.

Edited by Cosmic

• 2 weeks later...

Not being a huge shoot 'em up fan like my brother with his Gradius site, I would struggle to create a tier list for the original games. Definitely not the case for the fangames, but as that's not what this thread is about, let's table that for now. One thing I will say, is that I'm definitely the outlier here - an Amanojaku even - as regards Ten Desires since it is my favourite and the only one I went out of my way to purchase (Yoshika is best zombie too). I just like the mechanic that rewards you for quick takedowns the same as a traditional shooter, plus one that encourages you to get up close and personal with the bosses rather than hiding away at the bottom of the screen like most of the others. (^_^)

Subterranean Animism would be a pretty close second though, except that's more down to me having played Touhou Hack and Slash to death beforehand and thus becoming utterly enamoured with the story, characters, music, etc. you know the drill. I'm probably in the minority as regards Immaterial and Missing Power as well, not being much of a fan of the later beat 'em ups, beyond the aesthetics anyway. Heh, that could well be down to a certain little Oni, however, who is by far my favourite Touhou character. (^u^)

Edited by SasaMisa
Adding some text.

1665302947_LancerDoll.png.f3d1d67b8a45698f0a8a0ea85f46d0fc.png As the Dollmaker herself would agree: Lancer Doll is best doll! (#^_^#)

• 2 months later...

I'd be inclined to disagree with touhou 12 at the top, it's never been my favourite, something about it just doesn't feel right to me, but Touhou 10 being at C is also pretty meh, Touhou 15 is definitely my favourite, but overall that's all I'd really change