Day 56: Add ears and suddenly no dialogue is not an issue

Juuni

Wolf girl clause

Day 56: Momiji Inubashiri

talk about her in canon. Her in canon is an acquaintance to aya that may be feuding with, and is our kinda “average wolf tengu.” Now, this is serviceable for a character, albeit plain and boring, but will work fine. However, let’s talk about fanon Momiji. Fanon Momiji got incredibly weird, as she divided into two distinct interpretations. The first, I can’t talk about due to it encapsulating a risqué topic, but the gist is she got hit with the punishment all wolf girls get. She also got so much yuri stuff with aya, despite their relationship never being stated to be good. The other interpretation is one that I love and hope becomes the canon, which is Momiji being a significant figure for the wolf tengu, maybe as a guard or patrol captain. This could make her a lens into the wolf tengu, which would be great as we don’t know much about wolf tengu. Her relationship with aya could be a rivalry or something, as we can establish the pecking order with Momiji, and generally have her be our deep look into tengu as a whole. Momiji herself has a cool design, though simpler. Her theme is stage 4 at this point, which is an amazing ass theme. Overall, this character can go a lot of ways, and I hope it doesn’t go one of them.

IMG_5645.jpeg

• Like 5

Who?

Seriously, I just don't get her so called "fans". Officially, she gets 0 personality. No line of dialog, no portrait, no spell card (excluding the photo spin-offs). Just a sprite like Daiyousei and Koakuma. All we know is she's a wolf-tengu and she's guarding Youkai Mountain along with the other tengus. How do we know if she's serious, kind, mean, clumsy, etc... ? What do we know about her relations with other character ?

Any "fans" of her are actually just fans of whatever made-up personality other fans have given her, meaning a someone could both like/dislike Momiji depending on what personality she has. This is why having a minimum of official content is important, otherwise the character is just an empty doll that people will turn into their "waifu" (filling it with any personality traits they like).

1 minute ago, Gri said:

Any "fans" of her are actually just fans of whatever made-up personality other fans have given her, meaning a someone could both like/dislike Momiji depending on what personality she has. This is why having a minimum of official content is important, otherwise the character is just an empty doll that people will turn into their "waifu" (filling it with any personality traits they like).

There are two issues with that though.

1. Momiji does show up in one of written works (I think it’s symposium). This gave her a bit of personality and established the odd relationship with aya.

2. There really nothing wrong with making a character like this more than she actually is in my opinion. Momiji has a ton of potential to be interesting because the fans want her to be interesting, so she’ll technically exist as a character due to the fans being more than half of all touhou content produced.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

You say Momiji, I say 'She has an official fumo what the fuck?!"

I enjoy Daiyousei and even Ran's fanon personalities. So I do feel legally obliged to try to like her. On the other hand she's one of those characters fans only like because 'monster girl' + 'tomboy' = 'heart's desire'

She do look cool with a sword tho. So I'll tentatively add her to my list of characters I want to see more of...albeit lower on the list...

• Like 2