Just Another AMA! Hello :D

Pepi

This is my first time here, what better way to start than with an AMA! 
It would be weird to see new faces out of nowhere, or is this common for forums? Last time i used a forum was in 2012 and i was 7 lol. 

Ask away! Question so many things, the universe collapses! (Yeah, better avoid that) 
Just don't do personal questions that border the "wow, that's weird/creepy" line. 

I'm looking forward to meeting you all! 

• Like 5

- What are some other non-Touhou games you enjoy?

- What's your favorite game in the series? (not including fangames)

- Also, favorite character? (I think I can guess but might as well ask anyway)

- What are some of your hobbies?

Edited by Cosmic
added favorite character question
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Cosmic said:

- What are some other non-Touhou games you enjoy?

Currently, i enjoy playing Vampire Survivors and Minecraft. In the past, i was more into fighting games (Dragon Ball Z games, Smash Bros and Godzilla's Pipeworks trilogy), Pokémon and Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare 1. 
I like replayability in games and i need to try more things out as the replayability means i don't switch games often.

15 hours ago, Cosmic said:

- What's your favorite game in the series? (not including fangames)

I only played the games from Touhou 5-14, everything past/before that i didn't try yet. 
I really like 3 games in the series. Mystic Square, Imperishable Night and Double Dealing Character. (can't decide the one i like the most)

Mystic Square feels really special, there's something unique i can't describe, it feels magical. The game's mechanics are pretty straight forward, same thing with the attack patterns and characters. 
I like the simplicity it has and the technical achievement ZUN did within the limitations of the PC98 platform, honestly it's a very impressive game. 

Imperishable Night has the best features in the entire saga, great character roster, practice and spell practice, two stage 4/6, bonus spell cards if you complete requirements, unlockable individual characters, decent artwork for ZUN's standards. It's just the most complete game in the series, and the first one i did a 1CC on. 

Double Dealing Character for me feels like the peak in gameplay design from ZUN. The patterns have creative shapes that are not insanity, the lives system is well done, good shot type choices, incredible music, memorable characters, great sprite work. 
It just feels complete and well tested. Not like other games (from 10 to 12) that have inherent flaws in the design that make the game unenjoyable.

- Also, favorite character? (I think I can guess but might as well ask anyway)

If you guessed from my profile picture, you are right! Alice Margatroid is my favorite character in the series. Here's why: 
All the music ZUN composed for her is really magical (especially Alice in Wonderland). I find her bullet patterns to be really fun to dodge. I kinda identify with the personality ZUN gave her (aside the doll stuff, that's just creepy.), the fact she likes to make the dolls (crafts and arts). Also, Alice is one of the few Youkai that first thinks of you as a person and not as food lol and that she values strategy more than raw strength. 
I Just recently figured out that Alice is my favorite character and i haven't read her in the Touhou manga, so this will likely change once i investigate more about Touhou.

- What are some of your hobbies?

I'm starting to do exercise and riding a bike, even if it's a necessity to have a healthy body, is something I really enjoy doing. 
Other one of my hobbies is consuming multimedia (either games, manga, tv shows/movies/anime), i try to not overdo it but it's fun for me. 
I also like to paint handicraft (from wooden boxes, bookmarks, rock sculptures, necklaces, bracelets, etc.) that i try to sell in a local fair. 
One more thing i enjoy doing is tinkering with my computer, mostly trying out different linux distributions and overall going down that rabbit hole. I want to transform that to learning programming, but i haven't started yet. 

Thanks for the questions!

• Like 3

Hey fellow newcomer, I got some questions for you.

- Who is your least favorite character?

- What is your favorite fangame?

- What are some of your favorite types of terrain to be in (like forests, cities, plains, stuff like that)?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pepi said:

Not like other games (from 10 to 12) that have inherent flaws in the design that make the game unenjoyable.

This seems like an interesting take, I'm curious as to what makes these games unenjoyable to you? I can't really think of any "inherent flaws" in their design, personally.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Juunimeta said:

From the context, I guess it's my least favorite Touhou character. 
That would be Eirin Yagokoro. Her design is pretty meh and i get uneasy reading her, I'm not sure why. Her spell cards and music are godly, though. 

Hey fellow newcomer, I got some questions for you.

The only fangames i tried were Luna Nights and Lost World (does it count? it's not canon, so...). 
Luna Nights is pretty fun, it's just too short.

- What are some of your favorite types of terrain to be in (like forests, cities, plains, stuff like that)?

I really like Mountainous terrain, it's really mesmerizing to look at all the perfect irregularities of nature in the landscape. The only bad thing is that as soon as you do any physical activity for 10 minutes, you get out of breath due to height. 
I haven't been in places with widely different climates, what i can say is that Big Cities are horrible and that Humidity is a no, thanks (it makes me feel heavy, tired and dumb) 

7 hours ago, Cosmic said:

This seems like an interesting take, I'm curious as to what makes these games unenjoyable to you? I can't really think of any "inherent flaws" in their design, personally.

They still are pretty fun games, the characters and music are among the best in the series. "Unenjoyable" is too strong a word.
What i dislike about them is the Continue system, making practice (using in-game tools) pretty hard.
Also, the bombing system on 11 is straight up "use bombs you don't do damage anymore". It breaks the value bombs give, and you can get steamrolled if for example you bomb and soon after die, now you are at 2 power and the boss lasts forever.
Touhou 12's UFOs can get me angry on a bad day, but they are fun (if you know how to use them, it's almost two guaranteed lives per stage).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pepi said:

They still are pretty fun games, the characters and music are among the best in the series. "Unenjoyable" is too strong a word.
What i dislike about them is the Continue system, making practice (using in-game tools) pretty hard.
Also, the bombing system on 11 is straight up "use bombs you don't do damage anymore". It breaks the value bombs give, and you can get steamrolled if for example you bomb and soon after die, now you are at 2 power and the boss lasts forever.
Touhou 12's UFOs can get me angry on a bad day, but they are fun (if you know how to use them, it's almost two guaranteed lives per stage).

Ah, fair enough. I personally really like the continue system in these games, I prefer being able to try a level as many times as I want until I've cleared it over the continue system used in the rest of the games, where it almost starts to feel like cheating until you're abruptly told "nope, you've used too many continues, go back to the start of the entire thing", not to mention how much more frustrating dying in the early stages becomes because of it... although, I did start with Mountain of Faith, so I may be slightly biased in this regard. Also yeah the bomb system in 11 kinda sucks lmao, I love that game but I'm not going to try and say it doesn't get annoying fast.

• Like 1