Talk about stuff you like =D

_.Mevs

Basically a thread to you talk a bit (or a lot, up to you xd) about something you like and would like if more people knew!

It can be games, movies, books, animes, cartoons, anything!

I wanted to make this topic because of a visual novel (that also has animes) that i really like, but almost nobody around me knows about =')

Even though i found some stuff about it in other countries websites and etc, i don't know no one from my country that knows it

I'm talking about Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

It's basically a story in a small village, from what i remember, in the story, some people were dying in that village in weird ways, that nobody could explain

I can't talk a lot about the reasons (is too long and has a lot of spoilers to explain everything, so i recommend you to watch the animes or play the games!)

A group of friends decided to try looking more into it, but then, they started dying one by one, in a infinite cicle (it is explained in the story but would also be a spoiler to tell), the story is told in repetitive ways, but something is always changing

The story is very confuse and there's a lot of content to see, so i really recommend you to look into it! (unless you don't like violent stuff, because, uh, this saga kind of has a lot of it)

higurashi-no-naku-koro-ni-hou-01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Up 1

I know the anime only and it was so good but really scary, I didn’t understand all the story because I watched it in English. The character that I preferred in this anime is the little girl with black hair (I forgot her name, I always forget names ^-^)

By the way, I really loved how the characters "switch" their personality from the good to the bad or the opposite, I won’t say more about it but if anyone read this message, please, just watch it I guarantee that you will 100% like it 😌

• Like 3

Oh man, Higurashi...
I really want to play this game, I don't want to watch the anime because some scenes just flip my stomach around, but it seems really interesting, don't really understand anything about it so far tho xddd

Meanwhile, for me, what has been rotting my brain for the past few months is Half-Life. I played the game for the first time back in July, and since then, I've been hooked.
I actually didn't finish HL1 the first time, I didn't really like it ^^; so I skipped it and went straight to HL2, which really cemented my love for the series. (and I will admit, Half-Life is the reason I'm not as active here as I was before. Once my brain sees something it likes, it hangs to it like a parasite. Soooo..........)

I love the characters, the plot, the atmosphere... The atmosphere is my favorite part of the games, especially in HL2. I played the HL2 beta as well, and goddamn, it's even better there. Seeing the concept art for HL2 made me realize just how much I want to pursue being an artist.

My favorite character from Half-Life is the G-Man, no idea why. However, Alyx Vance and Dr Isaac Kleiner are close contestants as well.
Hell, I was G-Man for Halloween as well! It was such a fun time :D

I could talk about Half-Life for hours honestly, but I'll just spam the thread then, if I do ^^;;;;

Here's some fanart I did.

LJFLAKDJFLKAJFKSJ.thumb.png.38a1dfdbdfd5c73612fd5c4f35997d19.png

Edited by sodaodaoda
Added image
  • Like 1

Number 1 Alice, Meiling and Youmu fan! jaooooooooo

I know the anime only and it was so good but really scary, I didn’t understand all the story because I watched it in English. The character that I preferred in this anime is the little girl with black hair (I forgot her name, I always forget names ^-^)

By the way, I really loved how the characters "switch" their personality from the good to the bad or the opposite, I won’t say more about it but if anyone read this message, please, just watch it I guarantee that you will 100% like it

Higurashi is amazing! I'm kinda a big fan of it so, i'll explain some of the animes you can watch (if you want of course xd), since it has several!

1- Higurashi No Naku No Koro Ni // is basically the beginning xd

2- Higurashi No Naku No Koro Ni Kai // is the second part =)

3- Higurashi No Naku No Koro Ni: Special Nekogoroshi Hen // is a extra that happens between the first and second season of the anime

4- Higurashi No Naku No Koro Ni Rei: is a comedy OVA (if you don't like the violent stuff, you can watch this one, has more fanservice and comedy!)

5- Higurashi No Naku No Koro Ni Kira: Another comedy OVA, but way more nonsense xd

6- Higurashi No Naku No Koro Ni Kaku: is a extra episode with +48 minutes (if i'm not mistaken) where a lot of stuff happens and well, tell more would be spoilers, just watch it, you won't regret the experience =D

The black haired girl is called Rika xd, She's so cute and is also the most important character (if you watch everything, specially Higurashi No Naku No Koro Ni Kaku, you'll see more of it than in the normal anime xd), her backstory is really dark, but, i won't say because i don't wanna give spoilers xd

FumoMarisa.png.746a508fab9d3a87280f1c90d5f4210e.png

Oh man, Higurashi...
I really want to play this game, I don't want to watch the anime because some scenes just flip my stomach around, but it seems really interesting, don't really understand anything about it so far tho xddd

I recommend you watching some of the animes, i wrote a list in the last post if you wanna see it =D

Meanwhile, for me, what has been rotting my brain for the past few months is Half-Life. I played the game for the first time back in July, and since then, I've been hooked.
I actually didn't finish HL1 the first time, I didn't really like it ^^; so I skipped it and went straight to HL2, which really cemented my love for the series. (and I will admit, Half-Life is the reason I'm not as active here as I was before. Once my brain sees something it likes, it hangs to it like a parasite. Soooo..........)

Half life is amazing! Even tho i don't know a lot about it, my brother really loves it and used to talk about it 24/7 xd

If you didn't like HL1 so much, i recommend Half Life: Blue Shift and Half Life: Opposing Force, from what my brother told me, is basically HL1 but with some different stuff in the gameplay

I think i'll play it, till nowadays i only played mods of Half Life like CS: 1.6 or GMod, i think is time to take a look into it xd

I love the characters, the plot, the atmosphere... The atmosphere is my favorite part of the games, especially in HL2. I played the HL2 beta as well, and goddamn, it's even better there. Seeing the concept art for HL2 made me realize just how much I want to pursue being an artist.

I gotta admit, i also love the Half Life atmosphere, it looks something so dystopian, is perfect for a amazing story!

I'm sure you'll be a great artist! Keep going with it, i'm sure you'll get way better each day more =D

My favorite character from Half-Life is the G-Man, no idea why. However, Alyx Vance and Dr Isaac Kleiner are close contestants as well.
Hell, I was G-Man for Halloween as well! It was such a fun time :D

I could talk about Half-Life for hours honestly, but I'll just spam the thread then, if I do ^^;;;;

Here's some fanart I did.

LJFLAKDJFLKAJFKSJ.thumb.png.38a1dfdbdfd5c73612fd5c4f35997d19.png

G-Man is a has a really curious atmosphere, i gotta be honest, i used to be scared of him so when i started the first mission map in GMod i used to burn him when he appears talking in the start xd (idk why was so funny to see him talking perfectly even while catching fire xd)

My brother had a crush in Alyx, idk how to explain why tbh xd

Dr.Isaac is someone that seems so kind and nice for some reason! I always liked him even without knowing absolutely nothing about Half Life =D

Tbh, i think i'll try playing one of the HL games, all them are so important to the games culture and it just makes me more interested!

Btw, you can talk more about Half Life if you want, the thread is for it =D

And this art really looks amazing! I can imagine it in something like a comic, you did a really great job, keep going with it! =D

R.png.a3342f3b88f67254714c43c67ae6f17f.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, _.Mevs said:

If you didn't like HL1 so much, i recommend Half Life: Blue Shift and Half Life: Opposing Force, from what my brother told me, is basically HL1 but with some different stuff in the gameplay

Oh I actually like it now! I finished HL1 in November, and I finished it in like 2 days, which means I spent my whole damn weekend just playing HL1 to the point I could see it and PLAY IT when I closed my eyes LMAO
I started playing Opposing Force, but I never finished it because it's kinda boring I have tons of work to do.

I think i'll play it, till nowadays i only played mods of Half Life like CS: 1.6 or GMod, i think is time to take a look into it xd

Yesss, please play ittt, it's awesome

G-Man is a has a really curious atmosphere, i gotta be honest, i used to be scared of him so when i started the first mission map in GMod i used to burn him when he appears talking in the start xd (idk why was so funny to see him talking perfectly even while catching fire xd)

Yeee, but tbh, I never really got scared by him... I always found him cool and menacing, but never really creepy, I always loved seeing sightings of him in HL2, and I love a HL2 beta map in which he appears in (which is kinda creepy to a degree, it's called "hazard01" if you're curious). The only time I ever really got scared by him was when I played Gmod, I forget that I have an addon which just spawns him at random places in the map you are in, so when I was posing some ragdolls once, and I randomly heard FOOTSTEPS, you can guess that I was fucking shitting myself from how scared I was lmao

And this art really looks amazing! I can imagine it in something like a comic, you did a really great job, keep going with it! =D

Thank you so much! One of the things I'm really proud of is that I drew that without a sketch, so I just started blocking in the colours and then put a gradient over it.
Half-Life is one of the biggest reasons why I want to pursue game art as a career. Thankfully, in my country, there is a uni with that path as an option, so I will probably go there xd
I mean, just look at the HL2 concept art:

070919124549_003-Jf3ZXz3g-9k.jpg070919124549_001-POo-78FWRdU.jpg

070919124549_005-edvt16tjARg.jpg070919124549_019-BWUIWyZ-yg.jpg

070919124549_023-stRw1ADBbb4.jpg070919124549_030GPeGg47jRA.jpg

070919124549_036-8Tn2f51-9CA.jpg070919124549_045-nqZFn-Z5os4.jpg

Some NPC art as well...:
070919124917_062-6egA7NtTno.jpg

070919124917_060-Dosbc8Ei-o.jpg070919124917_061-cpVlpMv7D-A.jpg

070919124917_005-9sDCZBHmZQg.jpg070919124917_010-DfHmYXFkkA.jpg

Yeah, see why I wanna be a concept artist now? (btw, that's how Alyx looked back then!)

Also, the Half Life 2: Episode 3 stuff is great as well. Even if we didn't get that game.  (for some reason it won't display images.. oh well)

But yeaaah, I kinda went on a personal ramble there, didn't I? xd

I recommend you watching some of the animes, i wrote a list in the last post if you wanna see it =D

I'll check it out. Like I said, I did see some scenes and they made me go bLEERGH

Spoiler

Primarily the nails scene, and the torturing Satoko scene, but I also saw the scenes of Rika hitting Satoko with a chair, Rika getting killed by a truck, and Mion killing Shion in a newer Higurashi, that last scene was heartbreaking, I hated hearing Mion cry from how damn realistic it was...

Also, Rika is a shrine maiden, right? With her being immortal? I remember hearing something about that...

I do want to check the games out, especially since it seems they're focused on sound, and I like that kind of stuff xd

Edited by sodaodaoda
  • Like 1

Oh I actually like it now! I finished HL1 in November, and I finished it in like 2 days, which means I spent my whole damn weekend just playing HL1 to the point I could see it and PLAY IT when I closed my eyes LMAO
I started playing Opposing Force, but I never finished it because it's kinda boring I have tons of work to do.

That's nice xd

I wanted to play HL1 because it has more weapon variety than HL2, i think it will be a worthy experience!

Yesss, please play ittt, it's awesome

I imagine! A lot of people i know talk good about it, and since i like GMod, is another reason to take a look into it!

Yeee, but tbh, I never really got scared by him... I always found him cool and menacing, but never really creepy, I always loved seeing sightings of him in HL2, and I love a HL2 beta map in which he appears in (which is kinda creepy to a degree, it's called "hazard01" if you're curious). The only time I ever really got scared by him was when I played Gmod, I forget that I have an addon which just spawns him at random places in the map you are in, so when I was posing some ragdolls once, and I randomly heard FOOTSTEPS, you can guess that I was fucking shitting myself from how scared I was lmao

I think i got scared because, my first contact with him was when i was really young (i think i was 7-10yo), so, yeah, he did scare me xd

But within time, i started liking his design, mostly his eyes, there's something in his eyes that makes him way less human and way more mysterious

I'd have a theory but i'm not expert since i never played HL2 at all xd But, it reminds me of the aliens in the game, i wonder if maybe there's something of them that is related to G-Man

GMod kinda has some scary stuff, mostly in that big maps when you play alone... They're lonely, you feel kinda watched, mix it with footsteps sounds and is perfect to turn GMod into a scary thing

Thank you so much! One of the things I'm really proud of is that I drew that without a sketch, so I just started blocking in the colours and then put a gradient over it.
Half-Life is one of the biggest reasons why I want to pursue game art as a career. Thankfully, in my country, there is a uni with that path as an option, so I will probably go there xd
I mean, just look at the HL2 concept art:

It really looks amazing, you did a amazing job! You have a lot of potential, work into it and get way better, but don't give up, you're really good with it!

Is nice that you wanna be a game artist, i know you can do it! Do your best!

Btw, i took a look into the concept art and honestly, that's so beautiful! Like, it makes me imagine a amazing story just by it's art, it really has a cool atmosphere!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, _.Mevs said:

I think i got scared because, my first contact with him was when i was really young (i think i was 7-10yo), so, yeah, he did scare me xd

But within time, i started liking his design, mostly his eyes, there's something in his eyes that makes him way less human and way more mysterious

I'd have a theory but i'm not expert since i never played HL2 at all xd But, it reminds me of the aliens in the game, i wonder if maybe there's something of them that is related to G-Man

GMod kinda has some scary stuff, mostly in that big maps when you play alone... They're lonely, you feel kinda watched, mix it with footsteps sounds and is perfect to turn GMod into a scary thing

They made his eyes super cool in Half-Life: Alyx, I love the way they glow. His HLA model is great, it both looks and doesn't look like him.
I actually made something for myself as a reference for drawing, but here's a comparison of his models (I found the images on Reddit, I just merged the 2).

Left: Half-Life 2
Middle: Half-Life: Alyx
Right: The two models merged

image.thumb.png.78b9276f7bb6f5e7e5f0512e99dbe2d9.png

Also honestly, I'd love to hear that theory, even if you don't know much about HL! :D I love sharing theories around.
And about Gmod, yeah, it can get really scary. The first time I played it I had to spawn Touhou NPCs because it felt like someone was there...

23 minutes ago, _.Mevs said:

It really looks amazing, you did a amazing job! You have a lot of potential, work into it and get way better, but don't give up, you're really good with it!

Is nice that you wanna be a game artist, i know you can do it! Do your best!

Btw, i took a look into the concept art and honestly, that's so beautiful! Like, it makes me imagine a amazing story just by it's art, it really has a cool atmosphere!

Aaah, thank you once again! :D I still have tons of stuff to learn and to practice, but I sure as hell won't give up, I have been drawing for like 5 years, and I don't plan on giving up anytime soon.
And it is amazing, that concept art. That's why I love video games, everything about them is beautiful. I know I'm talking about Half-Life now, but I want to show you some areas in some games that are great as well.

Another favorite game of mine is Celeste. It's a platformer, and it's pixel art styled, but the areas in that game are breathtaking.
Free 'Celeste' update adds 100 levels and 40 minutes of music | Engadget

Celeste - ITNetwork

The first time I got to these 2 levels, I had to stop playing the game so that I could just... Appreciate it all. It's really beautiful~

• Like 1

Also honestly, I'd love to hear that theory, even if you don't know much about HL! :D I love sharing theories around.

I think that Gman can be something like, a mix between a human and another species, mostly because of it's eyes and the fact he takes longer to die than other npcs when you try killing him on GMod xd

Maybe that can explain his eyes and also why he's everywhere

They made his eyes super cool in Half-Life: Alyx, I love the way they glow. His HLA model is great, it both looks and doesn't look like him.
I actually made something for myself as a reference for drawing, but here's a comparison of his models (I found the images on Reddit, I just merged the 2).

I have some interest in HLA (my brother talked a lot about it xd), if someday i get the chance to try it, i'm sure it will be a nice experience!

Aaah, thank you once again! :D I still have tons of stuff to learn and to practice, but I sure as hell won't give up, I have been drawing for like 5 years, and I don't plan on giving up anytime soon.

That's nice! I support you, i think you can do a lot with your ability with it =D

Another favorite game of mine is Celeste. It's a platformer, and it's pixel art styled, but the areas in that game are breathtaking.

Oh, Celeste is nice! What i like the most, the artwork was made by a Brazilian studio!

9 minutes ago, _.Mevs said:

I think that Gman can be something like, a mix between a human and another species, mostly because of it's eyes and the fact he takes longer to die than other npcs when you try killing him on GMod xd

Maybe that can explain his eyes and also why he's everywhere

Yeah, it's definitely alluded that G-Man isn't a human being, considering his powers.
Maybe he was a human who got those powers somehow, or a shapeshifter, or something else, we don't know, but that's what I like about him so much :D

10 minutes ago, _.Mevs said:

Oh, Celeste is nice! What i like the most, the artwork was made by a Brazilian studio!

Celeste is such a cute game :D
I love it a lot, the art is really adorable, I love Amora's art, it's so soft and nice.
Heya. I stumbled across Amora Bettany's (Celeste's artist ...

• Like 1

Yeah, it's definitely alluded that G-Man isn't a human being, considering his powers.
Maybe he was a human who got those powers somehow, or a shapeshifter, or something else, we don't know, but that's what I like about him so much :D

It makes sense!

Maybe he was part of an experiment, or some creature took the form of a human, there's lots of probabilities!

Celeste is such a cute game :D
I love it a lot, the art is really adorable, I love Amora's art, it's so soft and nice.

I haven't played it yet but, the art is beautiful and i like to know it is from my country =D

You should really play Celeste, it's incredibly fun.
It can be a bit hard at times, but once you get the hang of the controls, you can just glide through the stages.
I have been playing Celeste for almost 3 years, I completed every stage, including the DLC Chapter 9, which is the hardest chapter in the game (I died around 3000, or more times there :D)
So yeah, try it out, the music is great too, Lena Raine knows how to make an amazing soundtrack :3

You should really play Celeste, it's incredibly fun.
It can be a bit hard at times, but once you get the hang of the controls, you can just glide through the stages.
I have been playing Celeste for almost 3 years, I completed every stage, including the DLC Chapter 9, which is the hardest chapter in the game (I died around 3000, or more times there :D)
So yeah, try it out, the music is great too, Lena Raine knows how to make an amazing soundtrack :3

A hard game and a good soundtrack is all i need to have hours of fun, i'll make sure of try celeste xd

Btw, isn't Lena Raine the same person that made the Minecraft nether update music? She makes great music! =D

11 minutes ago, _.Mevs said:

Btw, isn't Lena Raine the same person that made the Minecraft nether update music? She makes great music! =D

Yeah, she made Pigstep! And she also worked on Guild Wars 2, but I haven't checked that out.

• Like 1

Speaking of games that people like, a certain game I really like is Rain World.

What is Rain World? It's a 2D survival game taking place in a ruined world. You play as the Slugcat, a species which is located somewhere at the bottom of the food chain. You have to navigate through the perils of several regions. SInce you are at the bottom of the food chain, everything can (and will) kill you. From Lizards, to Noodleflies, to Vultures. This game is known to be hard as nails, sometimes even unfair, but I think this was intended. After all, this game is supposed to represent what true real life animal survival is like, especially for something as weak as the Slugcat. Oh, and there is also the rain, getting closer and closer until drowns everything.

Oh, and did I mention the AI? It's probably the best AI in video game history. The creatures in this game act very close to what their real life counterpart would act like. It's like every single individual thing has it's own mind and personality. Oh, and since the entire region you are currently in loads all at once, there is so much happening outside the room you are in.

Here is a video that covers this game's AI: 

Spoiler

We also have the art and the OST. It's just gorgeous. The animation is very fluid, as well.

Overall, Rain World is an experience that one should play, but in order to finish it, you especially need patience and persistence. You are gonna die a lot, but you will learn how to deal with the hostile environment of each region.

Oh, and if you ended up liking the game, Rain World: Downpour DLC will release in January, which doubles the already existing game content.

• Like 1

Speaking of games that people like, a certain game I really like is Rain World.

What is Rain World? It's a 2D survival game taking place in a ruined world. You play as the Slugcat, a species which is located somewhere at the bottom of the food chain. You have to navigate through the perils of several regions. SInce you are at the bottom of the food chain, everything can (and will) kill you. From Lizards, to Noodleflies, to Vultures. This game is known to be hard as nails, sometimes even unfair, but I think this was intended. After all, this game is supposed to represent what true real life animal survival is like, especially for something as weak as the Slugcat. Oh, and there is also the rain, getting closer and closer until drowns everything

The story of the game is actually very interesting!

They were creative with the idea of being in the bottom of the food chain, it sounds like a very hard game that i'd love to try!

I'll try to play it someday, i imagine how would it be to escape from a noodlefly xd

Oh, and did I mention the AI? It's probably the best AI in video game history. The creatures in this game act very close to what their real life counterpart would act like. It's like every single individual thing has it's own mind and personality. Oh, and since the entire region you are currently in loads all at once, there is so much happening outside the room you are in.

Here is a video that covers this game's AI: 

Hide contents

It seems interesting, mostly since i'm someone curious about some stuff in biology

The game is so beautiful! And seeing the AI, it makes me think the effort they did put into it, probably they had to do a lot of search work, and after that, programming and doing the artwork, it sounds incredible!

This is the kind of game i appreciate a lot, not only by being fun, but also because of all the love and work that the developers put into it!

We also have the art and the OST. It's just gorgeous. The animation is very fluid, as well.

Overall, Rain World is an experience that one should play, but in order to finish it, you especially need patience and persistence. You are gonna die a lot, but you will learn how to deal with the hostile environment of each region.

Oh, and if you ended up liking the game, Rain World: Downpour DLC will release in January, which doubles the already existing game content.

A hard game with a great OST is all i need to be entertained for days xd

The art is something i noticed, it looks amazing! My brother program some stuff and also draw the sprites in pixel art, i see him doing that and honestly, i just see how hard it is to make, and seeing it in a such beautiful way like in this game, it just make me appreciate way more the effort they put into it

I liked the game, i'll check about it! I'll also see the DLC, i probably will watch some videos about the game before playing it =D

• Like 1