what do you guys think about child reality shows? (serious)

suyu_

I took this topic out of my unconscious but I wanted to know what you guys think

I already hate the original ones, but this are the worst to me

I remember I used to watch one specific about girls and their moms wanting to win dance and music competitions, and it had some really heartbreaking and messed up moments. I guess that was my limit

I divide child reality shows (as well as family youtube channels) into two categories. Those are 'boring and unnerving' and 'interesting but absolutely dangerous'. Most pageant or other child reality shows always feel kind of creepy. Maybe there is just something inherently abusive about profiting off your child. They're too young to understand what's really going on, and it gives these shows a weird vibe where you're wondering what's going on in the background.

Then there is something like this masterpiece of television that goes 'Yeah we're dumping a bunch of children in the wilderness on their own, what of it?' No seriously, its a TV show where they dumped 40 children into a Western ghost town, filmed it, and then broadcast it. Its fascinating, its riveting, and you can feel your brain slam against your skull screaming 'What the FUCK?! Who approved this? Who would pay money to abandon children in the wilderness for a month?"

Its a desert with nothing for miles. There are rattlesnakes, coyotes and scorpions out there. The only food and supplies are in the style of the 1800s and cooked by other children. There is one toilet and almost no water. Its hot with the sun overhead, so heatstroke is a constant threat, and its bitterly cold at night. The only adults around are the producers, cameramen and maybe a medic team. Kids are burning themselves trying to cook or accidentally drinking bleach. And somehow CBS signed off on this.

Then again maybe I'm mentally adjusted enough that finding a crying child and asking to film them is weird to me.

Edited by Yumetou
  • Like 2

Wow, i didn't know abou that one. I've seen some really bad stuff regarding this type of reality show, but never something so inadmissible

That's one of the reasons i don't watch reality shows. Most things that happen on them are strictly well planned, with the aim of bringing more audience to the program. And putting children on the way only makes the situation worse, cuz people feel curious on how the kids are going to act in extreme situations.

I also feel very bad about the fact that many of these programs and realities are encouraged by the children's relatives, without them having a choice to participate or not. And let's not even talk about family YouTube channels and the countless controversies involving most of them. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I mean, we all know what happened to kid celebrities when they get older. They go loco or at least say they never had a childhood. I am not a fan of reality show with kids. Those kids shud just play video games instead

• Like 2
  • Up 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone saw quiet on the set but that documentary was a real eye opener. I always expected there to be abuse that would likely occur in the production of childrens television. However, i didnt expect it to be to so bad. I still believe firmly that we should stick to animation and drawings for kids shows and not employing underaged kids to work fulltime jobs

Edited by Macbeth
  • Like 2
  • Up 1