🎄 Touhou Fan works, the Doujin works (Manga/Visual Novels) 🎄

Reitisen

Ah the joys of December, and a time for posting again.

Alright! Hello! I'm interested in what you guys find interesting in certain Touhou Doujins! (Manga/VN types) This means fan work, not official work. 

You can list as many as you want, but I'm going to list one series to make this short and simple as the jumping point for others to add on and explain for themselves. I hope that the works you guys add here aren't just pure Yuri shipping and have actual lore and story, but that's for what you guys think is good in a Doujin manga.:Vergil:

The series I list is one that is mostly looked over due to the nature of what Gensokyo's other side is, that being Zounose, which is a cup of tea for some and not for others given their works being more on the graphic and dark side.

Though to begin, this kind of aspect of Gensokyo also has some deep meanings that I generally don't find in other Touhou manga's, given that most of them are lighthearted and/or don't really push for some story that gives weight to the characters involved or a bigger story that has lore implications.
Zounose really likes to expand a lot of things that are found in games and sometimes make things more interesting to get into.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/last_supper

One work that I found especially impactful was "Last Supper," which, yes, is indeed the nitty-gritty of being a human in Gensokyo getting eaten, but it is slowly telling the story of a Youkai exterminator on his last vestiges of a new era in which he has forgotten the fear of Youkai as he slowly gets wounded and eventually reaches the end of his journey, eventually dawning as he is the last of his kind to go against Youkai in Gensokyo.
It is very interesting to read as it practically involves a human trying to fight back against Youkais, eventually realizing that their old age and current balance in Gensokyo have left them outcast from both humans and Youkai alike, ending their lives with a journey to the end accepting the fate of the forgotten leading to the new era of Youkai dominance. (To which I'm not going to spoil how it ended)

So? Got any to share that you guys think deserves more attention? :SekiThink:
Come to think of it, I've posted something like this before.

image.thumb.jpeg.c3bc609c7a231f5f1b2b1d78cc5deac4.jpeg

Edited by Reitisen
Added Images and some text
  • Like 1

1683735564_GapEyeIcon.png.510261214f2118b1068fb86f8b100dcb.png Touhou Enjoyer & World Building Enthusiast  1683735564_GapEyeIcon.png.510261214f2118b1068fb86f8b100dcb.png

So my personal favorite is Kaaragetarou’s “At Chirei,” where it tells the prologue and events leading up to SA, with some additional elements explored. It has very solid interpretations of the characters, feeling close to canon and is one of the few that does parsee good justice. It is close to canon, but fills in blanks that arise, like Orin’s origins, okuu before she got yatagaratsu in her, and some smaller points. Finally, the art is just soooo adorable, and captures the characters really well. https://dynasty-scans.com/series/at_chirei

• Like 2