Touhou: Illusionary Nirvana (IC)

Yumetou

The early morning mists crept through the lowlands. Obscuring one’s vision in a thick blanket of fog. The sun had scarcely risen, and its rays were only just beginning to warm the land. This middle land was a long way from anywhere. Resting peaceably between the settlements of Scarlet Castle Town, Genbu City, the Human Village and Misty Ice Castle. Yet despite its vast distance from these realms, the Fantasy Plains knew no peace. It had only been a year since the armies of Hakurei marched across these same fields. Moving to strike the Scarlet Empire’s armies as they contended with the Fairy Queendoms. Now, Empress Remilia’s former servant Sanguine Rose called these fields her domain. The wily warlord and her private army rode across these lands, threatening every neighboring nation. Finding her was a task beyond the ken of most, returning to tell the tale was only a grander challenge.

Naturally, Shrine Maiden and President Reimu had sent Senji Yamamoto to find Sanguine Rose. The Wonderer’s knowledge of the wilds and talent with a horse made him the perfect scout to find the Scourge of Genbu. Only telling him to take four of his best riders west, and hope that Sanguine Rose did not find him…

The Wonderer was crouched on the ground. One arm pulling his cape closer around him as he studied the tracks on the ground. Senji could see them as well. Engraven in the mud and on torn stems of grass were the marks of hooves and of high heeled boots. A simple hunter could have surmised the warband had passed through here. But there were further secrets in the tracks for those who dared to look. The length of the tracks showed a slow pace. Likely from exhaustion. Imperfections in the soles and horseshoes hinted at the warband’s size. The Wonderer Kenzo Sano stood. The wind tousling his wild hair beneath his sheepskin cap. His mustache and goatee swaying with the wind over a thick layer of furs and wool.

“Chieftain. The Sanguine Warband passed through here, just the night before. They likely made camp upon a hill nearby. The lands here have little wood, and it is likely set in a circle to the center. In this fog, we may have the chance to sneak into the camp itself, if we can evade her patrolling guards.”

Sure enough, through the fog, Senji could just make out an encampment upon a low rise ahead. Dirtied tents of striped linen sat in circles, six lanes passing through the tents towards a red pavilion in the center. Even at this hour, members of the Warband could be seen. A pair of exiled Scarlet Librarians blearily consulted their books near a fire at the center. In the distance, pairs of Blood Knights, dressed in their plate mail, rose side by side. Lances resting by their sides in the dim morning. Yet the dozens of pitch tents promised the hundreds of other soldiers remained asleep. Blissfully unaware they were being observed...

---

“I bid you enter.”

The voice was softly spoken, almost enough to drown it against the sound of flames nearby. The door opened, the familiar face of Orin pulling at the handle. Despite the austerity of her mistress’s voice, she could not resist giving Keiki a bright smile. The room was dim. Illuminated only by a pair of candelabras along a great table, and a massive fireplace to the side. A pair of large leather chairs sat before the roaring flame. One empty. Upon the other, was the queen of the Underworld.

Satori turned her face towards Keiki. Already, the weight of her newfound position pressed upon her. Her eyes were ringed with shadows, which blinked blearily in the dim light. Still, she managed to offer Keiki a small knowing smile beneath her golden coronet. A hand rose, petting the third eye upon her lap as it gazed into the fire. A copy of the same eye carved into a ruby in the coronet’s center.

“Keiki Haniyasushin. Thank you for joining me. I have a request. Please, sit down.”

Her hand extended to the chair. Before her gaze drifted back to the flickering flames. For a moment, she gazed ahead. Before the will to speak returned to her. “Keiki. I have a request of you. Though Chireiden’s wealth has put an end to the starvation in Former Hell, I am unsure how long this can last. Former Hell needs new life and industry breathed into it, if our new kingdom is to sustain itself. In the chaos of the collapse of magic, the Nuclear Furnace has faded in power. If we can restore it to working order, we can insure starvation will never plague us again. But the means to repair it are outside our knowledge. Please, deliver this to Kanako Yasaka. I am certain she has the knowledge to help us.”

A small, pale hand drifted inside her familiar blue blouse. Slipping between a gap in the buttons before it emerged with a letter. Upon the front in Satori’s elegant hand was ‘Kanako Yasaka’ in fine kanji. The queen raised the letter to Keiki’s hand. Her purple eyes gazing into Keiki’s as if to see her soul. An uncomfortable thought, given the third eye which gazed lazily at her. Satori’s lips moved, though the words did not match the motion of her lips, repeating her name.

“Kiki...Kiki...Wake up Kiki! I have breakfast!”

The world shifted as Keiki was pulled into the waking world. No longer in the Palace of the Earth Spirits, but in a tent, deep in unclaimed wilderness. Her Oni guards had thankfully gone to bed long ago, though the drunken snores of some could be heard. Even over the Hellraven sentries chatting with one another outside. They were hardly what one expected for a diplomatic mission. But in the wilderness of Gensokyo where all manner of monsters roamed, both would keep her safe. And leading her guards were…

“Wow, you’re a sound sleeper! I keep cawing and you’re still down there! Guess I’ll help myself.”

Crouched over the goddess was the grinning face of the captain of her guard. Senkarasu, a towering and sturdy Hellraven. Utsuho Reiuji had reassured Keiki she was one of her toughest girls, though that sadly was not the only trait they had in common. Like her mistress, Senkarasu had black hair, though hers was woven into a thick French braid that went down to her waist. The head of a large hammer hanging from the end of it. Senkarasu was dressed in a dark blue and white sailor suit and skirt. Though Keiki's view upward was thankfully blocked by the plate the excited Hellraven shoved towards Keiki’s face.

“Made you breakies. Couldn’t remember what you wanted, so I made a little of everything.” She said around a mouthful of bacon. “There’s bacon, potato, grilled fish, some berries...umm, this mushroom I found, steamed rice…”

The Hellraven made it sound like she had a small feast. Though looking at it, Keiki would find herself disappointed. There was only one half-slice of bacon left, the rest rapidly disappearing between Senkarasu’s teeth. ‘Potato’ on the other hand had clearly been impaled on a stick and rotated over the fire, while the grilled fish were scarcely the size of anchovies. The mushroom was enormous, but its safety far from guaranteed. Senkarasu eased back onto her butt, the hammer head slamming onto the ground in front of her crossed legs. Smiling broadly as she chewed Keiki’s bacon. Gazing expectantly at her, and probably entirely ignorant of Keiki’s impressions of her, for good or ill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Our foes do not appear to be heavily defended, nor are they on the alert. I, for one, question Sanguine Rose's decision to conduct a forced march in this hostile terrain; which makes me all the more suspicious, Rose can not be this foolish!" said the Wanderer as he surveyed his surroundings. "However, this encampment is too close to our borders..... any raids on the human village may cause the humans(in the Human Village) to doubt our ability to protect them. Moreover, open terrain is great for our force to operate on-I could also use this fog to act as a concealment". he was not wrong, for he could call all his tribesmen through Oghuz, and they would respond without delay to his call. But he had a issue. He had half of his men on a reconnaissance missions to scout out any weapons depots the Eientei's, Lunarians, or the Diggist's may have, for every bit of modern weaponry would be a great asset for the Hakurei Republic, not be mention his tribe as well. Recently he was worried about the nightmares and visions Reimu has been having; his tribe had to well prepared for the oncoming battle between extinction or survival. The End Battle might be nearing; all the more reason to be cautious due to Reimu possessing a degree of divine essence inside her.

"Well then comrade, we do not know the designs the enemies possess, but I believe we should ignore them, whilst strengthening the Hakurei Frontiers with our men. Do they do not seem to possess enough men to mount a successful raid", he explained to his hellraven(his hell-raven was the only soul he had to talk to in his times of solitude)

___

Joint Military Council Report by the Frontiers Armies of the Hakurei Republic(FAHR)

We have compiled this report to highlight to you some of the exigencies facing our armies at the moment. Youkai Mountain as you know, was a important source of materials for the firearms. However, with the establishment of Moriya-land(the entity currently occupying The Youkai Mountain), and the subsequent banning of free trade by CEO Kanako,  we have had to strictly ration our supplies to the point where we have had to retreat for shortage of gunpowder. We can not access our ancient lands situated near the Forever-Green Pastures because of large concentration of Wild Youkai. Although not directly advisable from a military point of view, it will help us recover and mine much needed war material should we eliminate the Wild Youkai concentrated in the area. We recommend a joint expedition with either the Theocracy, or the Fairies, whatever comes out politically achievable.

(Hope this suffices for now)

Edited by Saathi
  • Like 2

Mina Katt woke up on a carriage headed for Scarlet Castle Town, where she intends to gain an audience with Empress Remilia the first and ask for the whereabouts of the Sanguine Warband. She woke up just in time to hear the driver announce that they have arrived, and promptly stepped out of the carriage. She got a lot of glares from the citizens going about their daily business, likely because seeing foreigners was not something they were expecting today. Mina, however, didn’t mind their stares and just walked towards the most prominent building in the town and the political centre of the Empire: the Scarlet Devil Castle.
“State your business here,” the guard at the gate of the Castle said.
“I am here to request an audience with the Empress, further details as to why is in this envelope,” Mina answered while giving the envelope to the guard.
“…That all checks out, you can continue to the waiting room,” the guard said while opening the gate for her. While waiting for her audience with the Empress, she decided to review the case one more time so she got her facts straight.

Two days ago, a guard in her prison noticed that a spirit was missing, which resulted in an internal investigation trying to find out who was missing. The prison also went into lockdown for the duration of the investigation as they tried to find the escape route and seal it off, so there is no way more spirits broke out. The spirit was nameless, likely because it recently became one. Testimony from other phantoms suggest that the spirit was involved in the First Scarlet war, which would mean that its vengeance is likely to be directed at the Scourge of Genbu.

“Mina Katt, your audience will begin shortly. Please follow the me to the audience chamber,” a librarian asked. Katt complied and went to the audience hall. She kneeled before the throne before starting the audience.
“I am sorry to drag you into Underworld affairs, but a vengeful spirit has escaped Former Hell and likely headed towards the Sanguine Warband. As that army was under your employ, may I ask if you know the whereabouts of them?” she politely asked.
“If that spirit causes chaos for those extremists, wouldn’t that be more interesting than the running around they’re currently doing?” the Empress offered.
“I’m afraid that would set a precedent that would cause the collapse of any kind of government. I would like to avoid that, if at all possible,” Mina stated.
“…We last saw the Warband heading towards the Fantasy Plains, you can test your luck there.”
“Thank you for granting me an audience, your majesty.”
Katt then immediately set off for the Fantasy Plains, hoping that the Empress of the Scarlet Empire didn’t set her off on the wrong foot.

• Like 2

May Gensokyo bless you~

Senji Yamamoto

Spoiler

Kenzo raised a hand to his brow as he gazed at the fortified camp on the hill. The Sanguine Warband was a prolific force, if little else. Reports of the Warband’s actions stretched from the foothills of Youkai Mountain to the Fairy Queendoms and the frontier of the Hakurei Republic. It was said after the Battle of Genbu that when the vampire general left Empress Remilia’s service, Sanguine Rose rode with a third of the Empire’s army. The desertion had been a major factor in the Scarlet Empire’s weakness after a war they supposedly won.

Looking at the tents, it was clearly a sizable force. Though not matching the size of the army that sacked the Kappa. Much of these forces were likely elsewhere. Raiding caravans or pillaging frontier towns in small detachments. The fact so many were gathered in one place was unusual, as the lines of tents told. Sano silently counting as he did.

“At least two hundred tents. If we assume as many on the other side, that could mean as many as 500 soldiers…”

He did not continue to speak. He didn’t need to. Sanguine Rose had preferred the use of small, mobile forces since her banishment from the Scarlet Empire. Her columns of capable troops had allowed her to exert control over the wild forests and great plains of central Gensokyo with surprising efficiency despite the distance. For so many to gather in one place meant she was preparing for something big. The question remained what…

“Guess that leaves a few targets,” The Hellraven Karsiptar by Senji’s side said. One hand rising to scratch her head. “Umm...Too far east for the Fairies. She normally doesn’t bother with Hakurei though. Maybe Byouren...She does hate the Kappa and Youkai Mountain especially. That’s without all the other nasty things to worry about out in the wilderness though.

So, what do you want to do? We found ‘em, that’s enough for Reimu I bet. But maybe we could sneak in or ambush someone...Idunno boss.”

Rika

Spoiler

The morning calm of the Human Village had always been an uneasy one, ever since the Protectorate of the Human Village collapsed. Though it had not ended in bloodshed, the departure of the Senkai Theocracy and the schism between Byouren and Hakurei still loomed over the town. Nothing showed this more than the Canal of Willows. The canal biforcated the village into two halves. Once, the Canal had been strewn with bridges, letting people from both sides visit markets, other temples and neighbors. Now, there was only one bridge. A checkpoint on either end manned by armed guards.

As the morning sun glowed on the horizon, most of the village was still asleep at that early hour. Some farmers were leaving into the morning mists to begin their labors, and a couple enterprising merchants were preparing their stalls, but most of the village was silent. Though if Suika Ibuki took any notice of the quiet, she seemed to ignore it. The normally carefree Oni hurried down the narrow sidestreets with an unusual sense of urgency. Her sandalfalls leaving thick footprints in the dirt as she stumbled forward. Excitement glimmered in her eyes as she finally found her destination. A plain-looking warehouse of wood. A large sight overhead reading ‘Hakurei Research and Development’. A smaller sign she passed without notice read ‘Restricted Area—Keep Out!’.

With strength ill fitting her small body, Suika grabbed the great wooden door of the armory. A large sliding piece of wood to allow cannons and Rika’s custom tank to leave. It thudded loudly to the side to reveal Rika’s workshop. Before the Oni raised her hands to her mouth with a desperate shout which filled the workshop and the bedroom beyond with her cry.

“WAKE UP RIKA! We have an emergency!”

Suika immediately bolted inside. Weaving her way around half-finished cannons, rifles and the handful of working tanks they had completed. Before throwing open the door of Rika's room with a firm kick that sent the reinforced wood flying open. Paying no attention to Rika, she hurried inside, before crawling into one of the cabinets. Before emerging a moment later, clutching a tall bottle of sake. Eyes glimmering with joy.

"Thank goodness...my 'hidden friend sake' is still safe. I was afraid I was sobering up. Hey Rika, you want a drink? Its the least I can do to thank you for keeping this bottle secret~"

The clock on the wall ticked as the hand turned to 6:20.

Mina Katt

Spoiler

As Mina Katt awoke, the mists of the Plains swirled around her. The morning fog was a staple of the Plains, hanging thick before the sun could dispel it. The clouds and the green grass should have given one a sense of wonder and excitement. But since the closing of the Hakurei Barrier, it was a false impression. All manner of things called the Plains home. Packs of Wild Youkai hungrily hunting for their next meal. Platoons of Lunarian skirmishers laid in wait in key locations. And of course, the Sanguine Warband roamed the grasslands in small raiding parties. The touch of the grass may have been inviting, but danger could be anywhere…

As the Nekomata packed her tings in silence, the memories of her meeting with the Empress drifted through her mind. The figure of the dead princess seated upon a throne. Idly sipping tea as she gazed down at the Nekomata...

“You may approach...ahh, Mina Katt, is it? Understand, I would not normally interrupt my luncheon for an audience. But I understand you are searching for a spirit you believe to be with…” A pained grimace crossed the Empress’s lips. Her small fingers tightening around the cup, threatening to shatter it.

“...Sanguine Rose. I must caution you. If your quarry is with Sanguine, you would be wise to return to Queen Satori empty handed. Sanguine Rose was once one of my greatest generals, as capable as Sakuya, but with a keen mind for strategy. She led a third of my army when I tried to restore order to Gensokyo after the Hakurei Barrier became impassable. But she had a much more...callous, idea of how to bring order. Her moniker ‘Scourge of Genbu’ is well earned.

When we exiled her, she left for the Fantasy Plains in the center of Gensokyo with much of my army. She has roamed those lands since. Outside the reach of any nation. Where she is there, is impossible to say. Perhaps the Wanderer Humans could help you? My spies have reported a search party has left for the Plains to find her. They know the plains better than anyone."

The tent flopped forward as the last of the wooden stakes were removed from the ground. Revealing Mina was not alone. Behind it, crouched on the ground and staring at her was what looked like a human boy. Though it didn't take much to realize this was no child. Its teeth were too long and pointed, and there was a look of malice in its eyes as it stared at Mina. Dressed in long pants, a white shirt, vest, tie and fisherman's cap, he might have been cute were it not for the drool seeping over his lower lip. Patches of soot shifted across his skin as though alive as his blue eyes stared at her. A wild Youkai.

"Hi there Miss. You look tasty. I hope so, my friends and me are hungry."

From the edge of the space that had been her camp, two more figures could be seen from the corner of Mina's eye. One wore cowhide old west clothes and cowboy hat. Thick brown curly hair covering her head as she yawned. The other was short, scarcely coming to Mina's waist. With tanned skin and long beautiful black hair, and wearing a cream dress. Her long blue tongue emerged from her lips, wetting them greedily. The one in the cowboy hat rubbed at her eyes.

"Can we get this over with...I want to go back to bed."

"Nono Kudan! We have to eat first! Finally, no more frogs. Meatmeatmeat! I'm so excited, even if its another Yokai!"

"Speak for yourself, Mizuha. You and Enenra always take the best parts..."

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Yumetou said:

Rika

Hide contents

The morning calm of the Human Village had always been an uneasy one, ever since the Protectorate of the Human Village collapsed. Though it had not ended in bloodshed, the departure of the Senkai Theocracy and the schism between Byouren and Hakurei still loomed over the town. Nothing showed this more than the Canal of Willows. The canal biforcated the village into two halves. Once, the Canal had been strewn with bridges, letting people from both sides visit markets, other temples and neighbors. Now, there was only one bridge. A checkpoint on either end manned by armed guards.

As the morning sun glowed on the horizon, most of the village was still asleep at that early hour. Some farmers were leaving into the morning mists to begin their labors, and a couple enterprising merchants were preparing their stalls, but most of the village was silent. Though if Suika Ibuki took any notice of the quiet, she seemed to ignore it. The normally carefree Oni hurried down the narrow sidestreets with an unusual sense of urgency. Her sandalfalls leaving thick footprints in the dirt as she stumbled forward. Excitement glimmered in her eyes as she finally found her destination. A plain-looking warehouse of wood. A large sight overhead reading ‘Hakurei Research and Development’. A smaller sign she passed without notice read ‘Restricted Area—Keep Out!’.

With strength ill fitting her small body, Suika grabbed the great wooden door of the armory. A large sliding piece of wood to allow cannons and Rika’s custom tank to leave. It thudded loudly to the side to reveal Rika’s workshop. Before the Oni raised her hands to her mouth with a desperate shout which filled the workshop and the bedroom beyond with her cry.

“WAKE UP RIKA! We have an emergency!”

Suika immediately bolted inside. Weaving her way around half-finished cannons, rifles and the handful of working tanks they had completed. Before throwing open the door of Rika's room with a firm kick that sent the reinforced wood flying open. Paying no attention to Rika, she hurried inside, before crawling into one of the cabinets. Before emerging a moment later, clutching a tall bottle of sake. Eyes glimmering with joy.

"Thank goodness...my 'hidden friend sake' is still safe. I was afraid I was sobering up. Hey Rika, you want a drink? Its the least I can do to thank you for keeping this bottle secret~"

The clock on the wall ticked as the hand turned to 6:20.

By the loud noise Suika caused, she wakes up with full alertness. She rubs her eyes and looks at the clock. The time is 6:18 A.M. She is in shock on how early the time is. Getting annoyed, she thinks to herself...

Rika: (Man... doesn't she realize that others want to fully rest?! Plus, I've been making a lot of stuff, so hopefully she doesn't break them.)

Then, she hears a loud step that's coming near to her room door. Suddenly, a strong kick, which not only opened the door, but to the point it goes flying and almost hitting her. After Suika finally finds a bottle of sake and finishes talking, she responds to her, with a tone of an angry mother screaming at her dangerous child.

Rika: "What the heck?! What do you think you were doing?! Now I've to fix the door later today. *Sigh* What do you want, and why were you screaming all the way here?"

Edited by Sir I
  • Like 1

…Perhaps Katt should’ve listened to the Underqueen’s advice about taking more weapons with her. If she were to battle those three, she’d likely lose. Yet she can sense a slight desire for vengeance against Sanguine Rose for bringing them to this situation. Perhaps if she can rally these youkai and others with such desire, she won’t have to actually go meet the Scourge of Genbu directly…
Then again, they did just talk about cannibalism. Even if they had to meet her directly, making them die a painful death will make Mina’s surrender seem more believable.

“You three seem new around these parts. I myself am somewhat of a veteran of the area, so you can ask me anything about these parts,” Mina said to buy more time to think about what to do with them. She recalled her past experiences and a few hidden stashes she made a while back to keep them engaged in conversation. Her hand on her whip if she needed to fight.

“Aw, the Youkai is trying to gaslight us. How about we talk about your time here while we eat you?” Enenra rhetorically asked as she ordered the other two to attack. They both tried to get close enough for a jab, but Mina’s whipping kept them a safe distance away... for now.
Now that the original plan has failed spectacularly, she decided that it was time for her vengeance. She unleashed a whipping on the Youkai to the right of her and dashed out of the encirclement. Looking behind her to see if they were still following her, she changed the scenery from her camp to open plains. What might have seemed like an incredibly idiotic move, were it not for the pitfalls she knew were here. The leader of the group seemingly forgot that there were pitfalls here, or they were new arrivals of this area, because he fell in one of those deceptive tricks. Alternatively, they just didn’t know where the ground was going to collapse because they avoided this area like the plague. The others, in their hurry to save their leader, also fell into very deep pits. Katt’s final act of vengeance for these youkai driven to pure insanity by hunger was to hunt frogs and gut as well as dissect them, leaving as little nutrients as possible for when they eventually dig their way out of the holes. One for each potential cannibal.

Back to the mission at hand, she recalled a hill overlooking this area of the Plains and the Central Valley, nicknamed the Great Hill by the locals, that people were constantly fighting over. So, after packing her things, this time not getting interrupted by people or barbarians, she decided to pay a visit there and see if it was still the absolute warzone it was when she left the Plains. Also, if these Wonderer Humans actually existed, they’d probably take a keen interest in the strategic positioning of the Great Hill.

• Like 2

May Gensokyo bless you~

• 2 weeks later...

"Is that so." replied Rumia Senji Yamamato

"Now, might as well tell our men to alert the fairies as well, they are useful partners against our foes; we would not want them to be subdued now would be?" The hell raven replied in the affirmative to that.

As Senji mused, he had to deal with another thing that was irritating him lately: some of his men were not happy about the defensive stance being adopted by the Hakurei Republic. They wanted to go on the offensive and eliminate all entities that wish to enforce authoritarian control on Gensokyo. Loyalty was a core tenent of the Wanderer Humans principles, but was not a absolute. Maybe a little military adventure would also satisfy the wishes of the 'Militarist Camp', and it was not like Senji was against their stance. He repeatedly expressed his desires to Reimu to go on the offensive and secure Youkai Mountain, but was rejected due to the tenuous situation the Human village came in after the disastrously split

'For now, let us le them be'.

---

Back in the Human Village, the Wanderer Humans have been training the Humans to defend themselves in case of an invasion. As a result, it is believed the Humans can defend themselves in the absence of FAHR. On the other hand, some are

(sorry guys I did not have much time, hope this suffices)

Senji Yamamoto

Spoiler

At Senji’s words, Kenzo nodded. Accepting his leader’s words as though they were absolute. If only all Hakurei soldiers were so obedient…

With Myouren standing between Hakurei and most other factions in Gensokyo, it was accepted among most members of the government it was better to let their power grow inside their borders. Some still hoped to achieve an alliance, or even reunification with Myouren, and saw any act of aggression around their neighbor as a threat. The least common but fastest growing was an urge to suppress any faction which threatened Hakurei. Though which factions were a threat often depended upon whom one asked…The tensions between the camp were not aided by the Hakurei Miko's strange moods of late either.

Kenzo turned, stowing his bow, before his posture shifted instantly. He squatted down and stiffened, before easing himself into the grass. The other Wanderers followed suit, taking cover in the thick grass. Before a moment later, a pair of knights in their black armor rode past upon their mounts, riding at a gallop. Senji’s aide remained in the grass for a moment, before slowly easing himself up. Then paused. His eyes staring into the depths of the fog, before he turned his head back towards Senji.

“There is a woman in the fog...I think she is a Nekomata. She seems to be observing the camp.”

Rika

Spoiler

“Don’t worry about that!”

Suika happily chimed. One hand holding up a drinking bowl as she filled it with her favorite drink. Before she raised the bottle and started to chug. Letting the rice wine ease down her throat with a ‘glug’ Rika had no trouble hearing. The sigh that escaped her lips as she lowered the bottle sounded heartfelt. A moment later, the red drinking bowl was shoved into the inventor’s face as Suika smiled at her. A drunken blush beginning to blossom in her cheeks.

“Come on! Drink~drink~drink~dri--”

“Ladies and gentlemen, Humans and Friends of all ages! May I have your attention…”

Normally the workshop dampened any sound from out in the streets. The scrapping of manual drills and the sound of hammers mixed with the thick wood kept all but the most persistent of noises out. With the main door pulled aside and the workshop empty however, the voice in the street outside had no trouble being heard even over Suika’s merry chant. In an instance, the happy cheers were replaced by curiosity. Curiously, the Oni stood. Wandering back through the labyrinth of work benches and weaponry. In the street outside, not far away, someone had erected a stall, though perhaps a ‘pavilion’ would be a better word. It set with a number of items. Books, kits, weapons of both Gensokyan and Outsider make. A man, well-dressed in an opulent western suit, stood calling out to passersby.

He was tall, handsome as well. With his styled dark hair and trim build complimenting his extravagant burgundy vest and black cravat. With the air of a practiced showman, his arms eased to both sides as though presenting himself.

“In these trying times, it is difficult to find peace of mind. No matter how much you want to mind your own business, there is someone out there who wants to take what you have. Fortunately, no matter your problem, I have the solution. My name is Oscar Diggs, and I am here to offer you the finest wares Otherworldly Ventures Incorporated has to offer. Whether it is dealing with a pesky Youkai, keeping spirits at bay or insuring that our friends and neighbors across the river stay there, I have all manner of wares that…”

At the sight of the figure, Suika gazed at him with fresh curiosity. Her stare only broken by a fresh chug from the rice wine at her side. “Otherworldly Ventures here...Marisa said they prefer the countryside. They must be growing cocky if they are opening a store here in the Village.”

A flutter of yellow drifted from behind the pavilion. Though Suika seemed too distracted to give it any attention. A length of yellow cloth rippled as a hooded figure gazed over the crowd. An Outsider gun nestled comfortably in her arms. The figure in its bright raincoat was still, save for the head which swiveled out over the crowd. Face dark under its hood, save for the faint glow of a cigarette end. Before the cowl of the hood turned to glare directly at Rika and her oblivious companion.

Mina Katt

Spoiler

The plains were mostly quiet as Mina walked. Mostly. The presence of wild Youkai and Fairies was an ever present danger out here. And while there was a chance they would be innocents trying to live their lives or even agents of the other powers, it was risky to tempt fate. Carefully maneuvering over the flat and misty lands, it was not long before Mina found her destination. There in the fog the hill lay, though it was not as empty as she might hope. The hill had been fortified with wooden palisades. Rings of tents standing in line up the hills. A handful of soldiers wearing old and disheveled Scarlet Empire uniforms could be seen here and there. Standing watch over the grim clouds. There could be no question this was Sanguine Rose’s Warband. Though how many of them there were and if Sanguine was among them, was questionable.

The only question remained...what now?

Her warband had called these plains home for years now. Even if they seemed gathered for something big. They would need a few days' rest to be in fighting form. But by the time Mina reported their position to Chireiden, Scarlet Castle Town or the Human Village, they would be on the move again. Vanishing into the grasslands like a phantom...

Edited by Yumetou

Mina could tell that her quarry – the vengeful spirit – had already infiltrated this camp. Getting noticed would likely also alert the spirit, so her original plan went out the already shattered window again. She was looking at the palisades from a far enough distance to not alert the guards to her presence, though her black uniform contrasts with the green grass…

The fog covered most of the fields she travelled on, she had to rely on a map, a pencil and her faint knowledge of the position of the vengeful spirits, both escaped and imprisoned, to sketch an idea of where she was. That same fog kept her covered for now, but she couldn’t see farther than five meters. She turned the parchment on which she recorded her probable position around, and drew how she knew the Great Hill went… and then the fortifications she could see or infer… As expected, it’s impossible to slip in undetected. Ramparts, she understood.
She was thinking about such things when she noticed that she was being watched and readied her whip in case it was an enemy.

May Gensokyo bless you~

• 2 weeks later...

(I am back my dudes!)

Senji ignored the women and resumed his journey back to the camp. After a moderately long journey, he finally reached the human village, where he was greeted by his comrades with great enthusiasm. The divsional commanders all give him a proper welcome appropriate for a commander(supreme), but first things were first: he wanted a meeting with the Miko of the Hakurei Shrine regarding the new threat on the border. After some further customary greeting and responses, he sent a messenger to the Hakurei Shrine. Meanwhile Senji look around the human village. Despite the division and the hostile outskirts surrounding the Human Village, life continued normally. People were once again doing what they always used to do for thousands of years. The only difference now was that the village was heavily fortified at all points, with regular training being performed by every single individual should the threat come to the Human Village. That was what the Frontiers corps was supposed to avoid from occuring

'Sir, one of your men wants to share with you soemthing', informed of the soldiers.'Bring him in'

Entered the tent Hirahito Zhymosa, one of the Senji most trusted commanders despite the clear doctrinal differences between the two men. He was overtly aggressive, Senji preferred not to take quick decision

Hirahito: First of all, many blessings be on you. You have led us through this troubled time during which he have had to flee our motherland. We of the Wolve Division(and clan) fully appreciate your efforts. Once more, we our loyalty lies with the Hakurei Republic. However, like before, this is we have always believed in the Miko of Gensokyo and have looked on to her and her predecessors as protector of our rights. So we once more plead that you ensure the Miko does take some action against the Tyrant denying us access to our lands

Senji: Thank you, I will try my utmost to ensure the Miko does take that course of action. Although for the time being we have a possible border threat. Could you relay the Fairy Kingdom about this brewing situation as well so that they are made aware. 

Hirahito: Yes

Now, Senji waiting for the meeting with Reimu which could decide what course they would take

• Like 1

(I was impatient and don't expect your forgiveness, but please allow me to add this.)

…She was noticed by the guard on the hill.
In response to this realization, she dropped all pretense of strategy and started running towards the pillars, but she tripped over something and plummeted onto the ground. The thing she fell over now decided to start running towards the pillars as well, leaping a gigantic length to the guard and started grappling with him. Seeing an opportunity in this chaos, Mina found a hole in the wall she didn’t see before and entered the ramparts.

Inside, she was able to pinpoint where the spirit she was hunting was and sneaked her way there. The camp was very lively due to the person who was grappling and winning with one of their own. When she found the spirit and forced it to stop possessing the member of the Warband it was possessing, murdering said person to keep the vengeful spirit from thinking about escape. The Nekomata used her spirit-capturing tools swiftly and was going to the exit, when she noticed that the person she tripped over was someone she knew: the grasshopper youkai known as Kusa. Though, before she could acknowledge the fact, he was decapitated in a gruesome spectacle… Mina took long enough finding and capturing the spirit, she doesn’t have any energy left to take vengeance against an entire group of outlaws. Leaving the ramparts through the same way she came in, with blood dripping down her hands from clawing someone to death, she ran away from the outpost until she couldn’t see it anymore before failing to orient herself. Luckily, there were tracks to follow to somewhere.

May Gensokyo bless you~