An Old Memory, a New Experience

Yumetou

Hello one and all, its a pleasure to meet you all this fine evening. I am Yumetou, a man with too little time on his hands. My name is a portmanteau of Yume Nikki and Touhou, a game I know very well and a series I don't know that well, and both staples of the 2000s weeb scene.

Unlike most of you, I have never actually played a Touhou game, and for a long time didn't know what it was. References to it were everywhere when I first started using the net, but no one I knew played or even knew what it was. It was a weird circumstance, with fan art and fan music remixes being everywhere. Yet I had no idea if it was a game, anime, manga or something else. I loved the music of course, but it felt awkward to sidle into the Youtube comments section or an image board conversation and ask 'Yeah I like this, but what is a Touhou and where can I get one?' Eventually, my family axed our internet to save on bills. I grew up, got a job, and almost forgot about that part of my life. Almost. 

Touhou recently reentered my life through the magic of the cute and cursed Fumo memes. Sharing some led me to discover a couple friends of mine were diehard fans of the series. While watching a video one of them recommended, Moriya Shrine was mentioned as a place to download older games not available in the West, and a place to meet other fans. Being a longtime lurker on old image boards, nostalgic for memories of the old Internet, and having never beaten a Touhou game, I thought I would join the Shrine.

I have frightfully little free time, but I am hoping to browse, try various games and ask for tips, especially for the early bullet-hells. I used to love play-by-post forum roleplaying, so perhaps I will see you there. I am hoping to make more friends like those who introduced me to the series, and stir a little bit of my old nostalgia, before the last of my gamer skills fade away.

Thank you for taking the time to read my autobiography. I am looking forward to seeing more of all of you!

• Like 7
  • Up 1