Emulation "Optimization" Dosbox-x / Nekoproject 2

I've been recently getting into the pc98 era of Touhou games and other content, and I've run into a slight annoyance. Overall to actually play games Neko Project 2 (NP2) works well. Dosbox-x (DBX) wins in terms of graphical fidelity however. When playing through DBX the touhou games lag to the point of being unplayable and other games such as YuNo (visual novel) stutter upon loading any option box. NP2 avoids stuttering and lag but has fuzzy and oft imprecise pixels whereas DBX renders in pixel perfect sharp edges form. As has been implied I've been trying to get NP2 to display pixel perfect. Anyone familiar with the emulators or perhaps a third option which is the best of both worlds?

After fiddling around a lot more I managed to get pixel perfect however, it is inconvenient.

Using No change screen resolution fixed aspect full screen I can get pixel perfect, IF I set my computer's screen itself to 1280/800 (multiple of pc98 native screen 640/400)

Changing my screen's resolution back and forth every time I use the emulator is annoying. I also cannot for the life of me find an option to just hard fix a resolution for the emulator to go for.

Posted (edited)

Ended up just making a batch file to launch the emulator which changes the screen resolution before launching the emulator and then back to normal after the emulator closes.

For anyone curious, the batch file looks like this:

path C:\pc98\np2fmgen
qres /x:1280 /y:800
np21nt.exe
qres /x:1920 /y:1200

I used the qres utility (search the internet for it) and placed the .exe for that in the emulator's folder for convenience.

Edited by SteelTalon
  • Like 1