CountVonNumenor
Onshi
I will be honest right now. I am in an awful mood, but not without good reason. Actually, scratch the bad mood part, I am actually at low morale right now.
Hi, my name is Andrei, but most of you may know me simply as CountVonNumenor. I have been around for 9 months at the Shrine, and just tried to have a nice time and forget about all of my problems. However, recently, there has been a series of events that seriously disappointed me in the relation between effort spent and result.
0) Until now, I was very excited to take a hobby into historical reenactment. However, now that I had the chance to get the taste of it, it left me a very sour taste. Instead of enjoying something I looked up to do for so long, I only ended up sacrificing a lot of my free time, ended up getting even more stressed than I was before, and risked my health (I have been living with a constant, unstoppable coughing for over a week, that absolutely no medicine coud help me get rid out of my system). I was really looking to do this as a hobby due to the fact I like history, but I did not want to turn into this, just not very long after I got into it. And now, I am sitting in the dilemma of whether should I retire from the activity (even though I have only been active for a month - a bit of a long story there too), or continue, even if I am risking and putting more effort than it would be worth into the thing. But there is yet worse to come...
1) As you may already know, I am a student in the field of Political Science, second year into the bachelor program. However, I have started to feel like my place may not be in there. "If you are still young and not feeling your place is there, why not just move to another college? Why did you even choose that college?". Let's tackle the second question first. Through high school, I was purely convinced I wanted to follow History. However, in a country like Romania, I had absolutely no idea what could I do with such a degree. Public research is extremely neglected and underfunded, teachers are not respected both in terms of social status and payment, and no other option is very realistic due to the society we live in, having little regard for history. Therefore, when I had the first talks with my parents about where I should go, my mother kept pushing the idea I should follow a career in the field of diplomacy/embassy, especially since it said that the History college also prepared for such fields. Therefore, I ended up with the (mostly induced/influenced) that I want to become a diplomat/ambassador. And when I discussed this further with friends and people who work in close fields of political study, they came up with the recommendation to follow Political Science.
Jump to one week before the final exams in high school. After 2 years of being purely convinced to got to History, the idea of Political Science struck me. I was still with the idea that no matter where I go, I would go study International Relations. And in the end, I got to Political Science, even though I have questioned my choice ever since the day I confirmed my seat there (good thing tuition is paid by the state, so I can study for free). But now, almost half-way through second year, I am not really feeling any sense of achievement. I lack any drive to actually study the field, and only by pure chance have I ended up being at the top of my group just because I was the one who gave slightly one more shit compared to everyone else.
2) Now to answer: "If you are still young and not feeling your place is there, why not just move to another college?" Well, the answer is not a simple one. Or maybe it is. I don't know anymore... The problem is that once I started, I cannot just give up. My family is already looking poorly on me for having the feeling I did the wrong choice in choosing one college path over the other. I have already spent too much time, energy and resources of my family just to suddenly decide to give up. Besides, it is actually frowned upon whenever I bring up the idea, due to "why did you even go there to begin with"? And to make it worse, I have been told I have to get my shit together and do something with what I have available. That I cannot just be someone constantly switching between colleges, as I am still reliant on my family for almost everything. And I can't get into the field of work either, as I have no plan and would be a real waste to just end up working as a shop assistant or whatever low level job after getting academic study. With the harsh times we are currently living in Romania, one cannot be picky about their options, nor solely rely on their dreams.
3) I am the kind of who is completely lacking the sense of realism. I am daydreaming about doing the x or y thing, but said x or y things are unachievable, too expensive or simply unrealistic. I do not know what I want to do with my life once I finish this 3 years long cycle of studying. Especially after a lot of setbacks recently. Let's say that both the History and Political Science colleges are throwing jabs at each other. The ones from History say that those from Political Science will do nothing with their diploma because in the world of diplomacy, politics or just administration, everything is based on corruption, having connections and nepotism if you want to actually get into one of these positions, no matter how skilled you are (Romania is one of those countries where no matter how incompetent you are at your job, you will still be advanced into a high position just because you are some influential politician's pet). Meanwhile, those from Political Science are throwing jabs to wards those from History for a simple reason - those at History are strongly nationalist and purposefully misinterpret history in a desperate 19th century style attempt at justifying even the very existence of Romania as a state.
And now for job opportunities. I was hoping that one my current route, I would be able to continue for a Master's Degree on the field of Military History and Politics, then perhaps work for the National Research Institute for Political Science and Political History. However, that dream sort of got shattered when I learnt that the Institute prefers hiring those from the military field, and while they do accept civilians, there is a strong hate for those civilians working at the Research Institute. If you want to get there as a civilian, good luck finding a connection from the military to get you in, no matter how skilled you actually are. Working at the National Military History Museum is not an option either, because again, for the actually decently/well paid jobs you have to be from the military. On the other side, diplomats and ambassadors are not in a better position either. I was told that if I do not have connections in the field of politics or be a member of whatever party is now in the ruling coalition, I have no choice for being picked into such a spot.
As for other options, I really don't know. I love history and would love to wok into something to bring me joy, but I also need to make sure I am not going to starve. I don't know what else could I do, because one of my biggest flaws is that I am ludicrously lazy to actually look up for options. And now, I feel like it is getting too late for me, and that I have already done all the wrong steps. Many times I have a strong feeling I want to do something, yet when I actually get to do it, I end up disappointed because I hoped I would enjoy that thing more. "Oh, you made this path for yourself. Oh, you are the one who decided to pick that up, you can't just turn now". I can't stay hare and complain. I need to find a solution, but I am feeling more an more discouraged as time goes by. Maybe I will have to just accept a mediocre, soulless compromise of nothing actually works for me. But that would make me feel utter shame given all the effort until now, as I threw it all away. Talking to my parents about all these problems only ended up with me getting even more upset, as they made me feel sick of all the mistakes and fuck-ups I have done or am currently doing/am about to do with my life. I may have the excuse of being just 20 and still having an entire life ahead, but this does not work. I am way too ambitious for my own good, and I feel that will be my doom.
I am lost, and really do not know how to deal with all my problems. I see no option for reaching a conclusion that would both bring me joy in doing it, and help me have a decent-to-rich life. I can't just be a guy who loves military history and Touhou, as I have nothing I can do with these things and be a practical solution to my problems. My life is clueless, I have no idea what I like and am best at, what could I make best use of to my advantage, and at least once I was even if slightly haunted by the perspective of ending it all. But I will not go that far. I need to fight.
But I am afraid I will disappoint everyone who loves me and has put so much effort into me getting as far as I got until now...
Hi, my name is Andrei, but most of you may know me simply as CountVonNumenor. I have been around for 9 months at the Shrine, and just tried to have a nice time and forget about all of my problems. However, recently, there has been a series of events that seriously disappointed me in the relation between effort spent and result.
0) Until now, I was very excited to take a hobby into historical reenactment. However, now that I had the chance to get the taste of it, it left me a very sour taste. Instead of enjoying something I looked up to do for so long, I only ended up sacrificing a lot of my free time, ended up getting even more stressed than I was before, and risked my health (I have been living with a constant, unstoppable coughing for over a week, that absolutely no medicine coud help me get rid out of my system). I was really looking to do this as a hobby due to the fact I like history, but I did not want to turn into this, just not very long after I got into it. And now, I am sitting in the dilemma of whether should I retire from the activity (even though I have only been active for a month - a bit of a long story there too), or continue, even if I am risking and putting more effort than it would be worth into the thing. But there is yet worse to come...
1) As you may already know, I am a student in the field of Political Science, second year into the bachelor program. However, I have started to feel like my place may not be in there. "If you are still young and not feeling your place is there, why not just move to another college? Why did you even choose that college?". Let's tackle the second question first. Through high school, I was purely convinced I wanted to follow History. However, in a country like Romania, I had absolutely no idea what could I do with such a degree. Public research is extremely neglected and underfunded, teachers are not respected both in terms of social status and payment, and no other option is very realistic due to the society we live in, having little regard for history. Therefore, when I had the first talks with my parents about where I should go, my mother kept pushing the idea I should follow a career in the field of diplomacy/embassy, especially since it said that the History college also prepared for such fields. Therefore, I ended up with the (mostly induced/influenced) that I want to become a diplomat/ambassador. And when I discussed this further with friends and people who work in close fields of political study, they came up with the recommendation to follow Political Science.
Jump to one week before the final exams in high school. After 2 years of being purely convinced to got to History, the idea of Political Science struck me. I was still with the idea that no matter where I go, I would go study International Relations. And in the end, I got to Political Science, even though I have questioned my choice ever since the day I confirmed my seat there (good thing tuition is paid by the state, so I can study for free). But now, almost half-way through second year, I am not really feeling any sense of achievement. I lack any drive to actually study the field, and only by pure chance have I ended up being at the top of my group just because I was the one who gave slightly one more shit compared to everyone else.
2) Now to answer: "If you are still young and not feeling your place is there, why not just move to another college?" Well, the answer is not a simple one. Or maybe it is. I don't know anymore... The problem is that once I started, I cannot just give up. My family is already looking poorly on me for having the feeling I did the wrong choice in choosing one college path over the other. I have already spent too much time, energy and resources of my family just to suddenly decide to give up. Besides, it is actually frowned upon whenever I bring up the idea, due to "why did you even go there to begin with"? And to make it worse, I have been told I have to get my shit together and do something with what I have available. That I cannot just be someone constantly switching between colleges, as I am still reliant on my family for almost everything. And I can't get into the field of work either, as I have no plan and would be a real waste to just end up working as a shop assistant or whatever low level job after getting academic study. With the harsh times we are currently living in Romania, one cannot be picky about their options, nor solely rely on their dreams.
3) I am the kind of who is completely lacking the sense of realism. I am daydreaming about doing the x or y thing, but said x or y things are unachievable, too expensive or simply unrealistic. I do not know what I want to do with my life once I finish this 3 years long cycle of studying. Especially after a lot of setbacks recently. Let's say that both the History and Political Science colleges are throwing jabs at each other. The ones from History say that those from Political Science will do nothing with their diploma because in the world of diplomacy, politics or just administration, everything is based on corruption, having connections and nepotism if you want to actually get into one of these positions, no matter how skilled you are (Romania is one of those countries where no matter how incompetent you are at your job, you will still be advanced into a high position just because you are some influential politician's pet). Meanwhile, those from Political Science are throwing jabs to wards those from History for a simple reason - those at History are strongly nationalist and purposefully misinterpret history in a desperate 19th century style attempt at justifying even the very existence of Romania as a state.
And now for job opportunities. I was hoping that one my current route, I would be able to continue for a Master's Degree on the field of Military History and Politics, then perhaps work for the National Research Institute for Political Science and Political History. However, that dream sort of got shattered when I learnt that the Institute prefers hiring those from the military field, and while they do accept civilians, there is a strong hate for those civilians working at the Research Institute. If you want to get there as a civilian, good luck finding a connection from the military to get you in, no matter how skilled you actually are. Working at the National Military History Museum is not an option either, because again, for the actually decently/well paid jobs you have to be from the military. On the other side, diplomats and ambassadors are not in a better position either. I was told that if I do not have connections in the field of politics or be a member of whatever party is now in the ruling coalition, I have no choice for being picked into such a spot.
As for other options, I really don't know. I love history and would love to wok into something to bring me joy, but I also need to make sure I am not going to starve. I don't know what else could I do, because one of my biggest flaws is that I am ludicrously lazy to actually look up for options. And now, I feel like it is getting too late for me, and that I have already done all the wrong steps. Many times I have a strong feeling I want to do something, yet when I actually get to do it, I end up disappointed because I hoped I would enjoy that thing more. "Oh, you made this path for yourself. Oh, you are the one who decided to pick that up, you can't just turn now". I can't stay hare and complain. I need to find a solution, but I am feeling more an more discouraged as time goes by. Maybe I will have to just accept a mediocre, soulless compromise of nothing actually works for me. But that would make me feel utter shame given all the effort until now, as I threw it all away. Talking to my parents about all these problems only ended up with me getting even more upset, as they made me feel sick of all the mistakes and fuck-ups I have done or am currently doing/am about to do with my life. I may have the excuse of being just 20 and still having an entire life ahead, but this does not work. I am way too ambitious for my own good, and I feel that will be my doom.
I am lost, and really do not know how to deal with all my problems. I see no option for reaching a conclusion that would both bring me joy in doing it, and help me have a decent-to-rich life. I can't just be a guy who loves military history and Touhou, as I have nothing I can do with these things and be a practical solution to my problems. My life is clueless, I have no idea what I like and am best at, what could I make best use of to my advantage, and at least once I was even if slightly haunted by the perspective of ending it all. But I will not go that far. I need to fight.
But I am afraid I will disappoint everyone who loves me and has put so much effort into me getting as far as I got until now...
They should always be here to motivate their child, and not to get sick of you...
