Just a thread where I express my thoughts

buskerdog

@CountVonNumenor dude don't feel so down, nothing wrong with being a Touhou fan even if you don't play all the mainline bullet hell games, or play them but aren't "good" at them. Not everyone's into them.

That being said, the mainline games are pretty sick.

Don't worry yourself so much, Nitorium has plans for the site going forward.

On a another note, wow, I never expected this thread to get so many replies!

• Like 4
  • Up 1

Thank you! As for the other part of the reply? Like what are things that actually count you as a fan, and what just makes you a fan of anime girls that somehow got into Touhou (even if I can hardly call myself an anime fan - the only anime thing I have ever watched (and knew I was actually watching an anime - Pokemon does not really count despite seeing it as a child, as I thought it was a regular cartoon) was Hellsing Ultimate Abridged, and that was a parody of another series. But yeah, am I just someone who got attracted to pretty girls doing badass stuff and have tons of absolutely awesome fan art and music arrangements? For reference, part 2 of my previous reply, in relation to cute stuff.

But again, thank you anyway ?

spacer.png

I seriously don't understand the DMCAs on soundtrack section, since ZUN himself never released soundtracks of actual games (not just albums with some tracks).

Also, I hope that the forums will stay, and the (file) servers move.

1 hour ago, CountVonNumenor said:

what are things that actually count you as a fan,

I consider this question applied more broadly to other concepts. The Lord of the Rings has a sizable fandom, but some have read all the books, some have only read the original four, and some haven't read any books at all; all are "fans" of the franchise, because their interest is in the concept rather than the material.

I'm a bit of a Sonic the Hedgehog fan. I'm especially fond of the Archie comics continuity, although I've never read any of the comics' material; my experience is limited to second-hand depiction and summary. My first experience with the franchise was Sonic X, and to date I've only played one of the games (that being Sonic Mania, and I never got beyond the third zone).

As I've mentioned before, I have not played any actual Touhou games. I tried out the Fantastic Danmaku Festival games, and decided curtain fire wasn't something I wanted to invest much time in. I dabbled a bit in Antinomy of Common Flowers, but I couldn't figure out the controls. My interest in Touhou began in the music, and over time expanded into the world-building and character designs.

That was the compatibility of my previous interests of music appreciation and story theory. I believe that's what it means to be a fan of something: to find aspects of the thing that relate to your interests. Your interests will likely align with others who are "fans," but others will be "fans" for completely different reasons. You may gain new interests from your interactions with other "fans" (or perhaps at least new appreciation for their interests), and you may lose interest as you change over time.

Regardless, I don't think anyone should be worried about whether or not they are a proper fan; so long as you have a related interest, that will be the determining factor in your interactions anyway.

• Like 2
  • Up 1

TTT

45 minutes ago, Drunken_Flower said:

ask yourself
do you like touhou? just answer yes or no
that's all, it's not that deep

I have to agree with them, as long as find any enjoyment with anything related to Touhou then you're still a fan, don't let anyone define who you are you enjoy what you want to enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Up 1

So I guess everyone enjoys Touhou for one reason or another. Some like the games, others the music and fan works, while others just like the design of the characters (bonus if they catch your curiosity and make you want to learn more about the myths and influences they are inspired from). So I'm not just a loser coping with fictional characters due to no girlfriend? 

• Like 1

spacer.png

11 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

So I guess everyone enjoys Touhou for one reason or another. Some like the games, others the music and fan works, while others just like the design of the characters (bonus if they catch your curiosity and make you want to learn more about the myths and influences they are inspired from). So I'm not just a loser coping with fictional characters due to no girlfriend? 

Bro what does not having a girlfriend have to do with you being loser?

I'd argue you're not really a loser to begin with, I've seen people on images board sites are huge losers with no lives whatsoever, compared to them you're relatively normal, after all there's nothing wrong with coping with fictional characters even if there just pixels on a screen.

Trust me bro, it's not THAT deep.

Edited by TheM3ds
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheM3ds said:

Bro what does not having a girlfriend have to do with you being loser?

I think it is more related to the "stereotypical anime fan" thing? Like you know, they like anime, are not very good at socializing, have no gf and love their JPEG waifu. Especially since by now, at the age of 20, most around me already had one or more.

But keeping it closer to Touhou. In my country, this thins is not seem differently from anime in general. The whole thing is still ignored at best, frowned upon and called degeneracy at worst. I do remember going with a colleague from Belarus (and me as a Romanian) in a book shop, and when seeing a manga, the reaction from him was rather negative, while mine was that of curiosity as I never really saw a printed manga novel until now, and was curios to see how you actually read such a book. But yeah, there is stil some strong reticence towards such things where I live, and that is where the idea comes from. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

I think it is more related to the "stereotypical anime fan" thing? Like you know, they like anime, are not very good at socializing, have no gf and love their JPEG waifu. Especially since by now, at the age of 20, most around me already had one or more.

But keeping it closer to Touhou. In my country, this thins is not seem differently from anime in general. The whole thing is still ignored at best, frowned upon and called degeneracy at worst. I do remember going with a colleague from Belarus (and me as a Romanian) in a book shop, and when seeing a manga, the reaction from him was rather negative, while mine was that of curiosity as I never really saw a printed manga novel until now, and was curios to see how you actually read such a book. But yeah, there is stil some strong reticence towards such things where I live, and that is where the idea comes from. 

I Honestly don't see how you would fit into the category of being a "stereotypical anime fan", I mean you like cute characters in a game, so what?

Just because someone saw you looking into some Touhou or Anime related stuff doesn't mean you should be ashamed of it, who cares?

I'd say screw them, you don't need to take shit from them, who cares what other people think you can like whatever you want, you shouldn't buy into that shit man, it'll only drag you down and make you feel awful, besides I'd argue your interests are WAY more common then you think, don't let some faceless nobody or society define who you are, you can enjoy whatever you want while not caring what other people think.

Hell, that's what I've been doing for years now, I love learning about obscure/niche video games, I like learning about Japanese culture (Both good and bad aspects of it), and I love me some Japanese cuisine but does that make me a weeaboo? No, absolutely not.

My point is you shouldn't let anyone push you around just because you like Touhou or have picked up a manga before, you shouldn't people define who you are.

You like Touhou for the characters? That's great!

You like ZUN's music? Awesome!

Don't like SHMUPS? That's okay!

You love a specific character that's near and dear to your heart? That's perfectly fine.

If it makes you happy in life then that's what matters most.

I hope I was able to get my point across, even if it helped only a little.

Edited by TheM3ds
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 9:45 PM, Drunken_Flower said:

eyy a suika

hi

aye aye whats up oni how you doin?

On 4/1/2022 at 3:37 PM, Tenkko said:

coming from a country where buying stuff from outside even digitally is more expensive than others (except on Steam now, thank God for regional prices), this always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't even know about videogames in the first place if it wasn't for places like this.

right? like this is the kinda bs that makes hate over litigious copywrite holders. its just making it harder for people to play your games. honestly makes me respect zun a lil less if he signs off on stuff like this. I mean the man obvs makes a shitload of stuff and fun chars and puts in a lotta work. an indie dev to idolize for sure, but like I respect the devs at nintendo too, but lord knows me, everyone else, and everyone's grandma hates the company for shit like this (obvs they are way worse in multiple ways for multiple reasons but still)

• Like 1

Man countvonnumenor, that reddit post looks terrible. Imagine all those rules just make some touhou post.

Honestly, I dont think Zun and his legal team will have the scale really enforce his will on the Touhou fanbase in this matter forever. I have met many Touhou fans and many of them will never spend a dime on anything and never will on anything Touhou related. Eventually, he will probably realize he is spending too much on resources to even bother anymore. Its like the Cafe De Touhou on youtube. That shit would get instantly reuploaded the second it got taken down.

This situation makes me think about the Warhammer guys, I forgot what the name of the company was called, but I remember being told that they spend so much on legal copyright that it makes up a massive chunk of their revenue. And man, have you see the prices they charge on their stuff? highway robbery. I highly doubt Zun really gets that much money from the rest of the world compared to his Japanese base.

Edited by Macbeth

On 4/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, Macbeth said:

that reddit post looks terrible. Imagine all those rules just make some touhou post.

That is very well the reason I haven't used reddit to post anything at all. It's like Walmart version of youtube with extra BS. Most of the individuals there aren't civilized compared to here. 

On 4/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, Macbeth said:

Honestly, I dont think Zun and his legal team will have the scale really enforce his will on the Touhou fanbase in this matter forever. I have met many Touhou fans and many of them will never spend a dime on anything and never will on anything Touhou related. Eventually, he will probably realize he is spending too much on resources to even bother anymore. Its like the Cafe De Touhou on youtube. That shit would get instantly reuploaded the second it got taken down.

Yeah, I do think it's inevitable. Prices are too high for a single doll and there're regional difference in currency. Mine is poor so, even able to afford a steam sale is a blessing to me. Regarding of Cafe De Touhou, I'm surprised to how many time it got taken down and got reuploaded. 

On 4/2/2022 at 12:27 PM, CountVonNumenor said:

So I'm not just a loser coping with fictional characters due to no girlfriend?

Dear good sir, there're two answers to your question: the short one & the long one.

The short one is, Objection! 

The long one is, your honor I was once in your state for as long as I can remember. Coping with a bunch of pixels in itself has no shame whatsoever. Every one has a different coping method. I'm with TheM3ds on this topic. Truly, you aren't a loser in my eyes good sir.

On 4/3/2022 at 3:23 AM, CountVonNumenor said:

If the sun was cold, I say you would be in the "stereotypical anime fan" thing. 

Damm, those people whom have the nerve to tell you that liking a specific content related to "Japanese" stuff makes you a "weeb" have the same IQ as a donkey. In every case, the donkey is smarter then them. Don't really pay them any mind as they're basically saying "you are normal? & likes to do what you enjoys. Then, you're definitely a loser who likes to do what you enjoys." Seriously, I've had those so called "friends" of mine telling the same exact thing to me 4 years ago. I'm glad that I cut ties with those ungrateful "friends" of mine.  

Which means in reality I've no friends in middle school and had a fake girlfriend.

My point is the same as TheM3ds but with one thing added on top. I'm truly sure you have it which is balance. I've seen many people go down-hill because they were focusing on one thing and one thing only. Being obsessed with it. Like the yin & yang (I really like that word) you should have balance: having fun in life, enjoying something and having no regrets.

If this help you even by a little, I'm truly glad. After all, brothers looks after each other's backs.

• Like 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

33 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

pretty much as you said, the second you start throwing in rules left and right, thats when things lose their charm

Especially, if the rules contains more words than the Bible, you know something's uncannily wrong. 

• Up 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

• 1 month later...