Do Touhou and gacha work together? (2022 - Touhou LostWord, Danmaku Kagura - closed/going to be revived, Arcadia Record)

CountVonNumenor

Do touhou and gacha work together?
well.. it depends, it's all boils down to the individual opinion whether they want to spend their time collecting digital characters.

i played a bit of LW
got my favs and now im kinda lost.
now all i do is just grind SC to collect them all characters.
didnt really care about the ultra fes at the moment.

also a bit of topic detour,
really love Scarlet Devil Tower saga story. it's simple, no nonsense and has really interesting concept.
and really loving how it's formatted as a children's story.
unlike the Hakugyokurou Arena, that one is a lot more complicated.
and what's with the latest chapter, throwing in more characters that has nothing to do with current events, it's like they desperate to elongate the story. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

also i really wanna play Danmaku Kagura but system not supported...cry...

• Like 4

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

40 minutes ago, Drunken_Flower said:

really love Scarlet Devil Tower saga story. it's simple, no nonsense and has really interesting concept.
and really loving how it's formatted as a children's story.

unlike the Hakugyokurou Arena, that one is a lot more complicated.
and what's with the latest chapter, throwing in more characters that has nothing to do with current events, it's like they desperate to elongate the story. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yeah, I really like the story in this. But I completely lost the interest in the Hakugyokurou chapter when Letty appeared. Before that I felt a sense of dread and emergency. Now? Absolutely nothing lmfao

• Like 3

Number 1 Alice, Meiling and Youmu fan! jaooooooooo

8 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

i played a bit of LW
got my favs and now im kinda lost.
now all i do is just grind SC to collect them all characters.
didn't really care about the ultra fes at the moment.

I am still in the process of getting my favs, as I still need Raiko and eventually Tenkyuu (whenever the UM cast will appear in LW). Until then, there is a bit of uncertainty of what to do. I have 2810 Seal Crystals right now, yet no interest in the SFES banner ongoing (Hifuu Remilia and Flandre, Mysterious Sword Master). I was looking out of curiosity for when PCB Yukari and Alice are coming (13th and 15th of May), but I do not like the fact the two are separate banners. Plus, I do not really want any new SFES unit in my collection as I already have two of them (Lunar War Reimu and Toyohime), unless I want some dupes for MSM (have her stuck at lvl 70, and wanna save my Divine Paper Dolls for later). 

8 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

You mean the Scarlet Devil Tower challenge that comes every now and then? I never really got too much into it (I am only at Stage 11), so better get a bit more work once it comes back on the 19th of May. I have not seen too much story of it yet outside the intro cutscene. 

7 hours ago, sodaodaoda said:

Yeah, I really like the story in this. But I completely lost the interest in the Hakugyokurou chapter when Letty appeared. Before that I felt a sense of dread and emergency. Now? Absolutely nothing lmfao

That story has become so messy as a whole once they added Act 3. I think all of us wanted that one to be the conclusion of the story, we though it might finally get over in the final stages, but then NOPE, it ends in a cliffhanger for adding a new chapter. It does indeed fell a lot like "everyone is here", randomly throwing in characters left and right. There are just so many you end up losing track who is who and on what side. At one point, we literally something you could describe as a three-way battle that felt a little bit pointless. I just hope Act 4 will be the conclusion of this story, as I fell it dragged for way too long. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

5 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

That story has become so messy as a whole once they added Act 3. I think all of us wanted that one to be the conclusion of the story, we though it might finally get over in the final stages, but then NOPE, it ends in a cliffhanger for adding a new chapter. It does indeed fell a lot like "everyone is here", randomly throwing in characters left and right. There are just so many you end up losing track who is who and on what side. At one point, we literally something you could describe as a three-way battle that felt a little bit pointless. I just hope Act 4 will be the conclusion of this story, as I fell it dragged for way too long. 

Yeah, the build up for Act 3 made it seem like this was going to be the end. Then it shows to be continued and I'm wondering why? I'm glad we're able to see so many characters even it can be overwhelming, since this might be only time we'll ever see them in the story. Once chapter 3 is completed, I might not continue unless something genuinely interesting is taking place. 

I'll talk more about the recent events now. Since we have both PCB Alice and Yukari on the way, I'm predicting that MoF Nitori and Sanae will arrive together at some point. I'm also glad they've shown the roadmap for fantasy rebirth. Here are more predictions:

June - Mokou, Kaguya and Eirin

July - Kanako, Byakuren and Suwako

August - Luna, Star and maybe Yuyuko?

It's great that the global version is catching up to jp now for fantasy rebirths.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Isaac said:

Yeah, the build up for Act 3 made it seem like this was going to be the end. Then it shows to be continued and I'm wondering why? I'm glad we're able to see so many characters even it can be overwhelming, since this might be only time we'll ever see them in the story. Once chapter 3 is completed, I might not continue unless something genuinely interesting is taking place. 

Yeah, now with the way Act 3 ended, I really wonder how could they drag it even more for a whole more act. But after that, good question in regards to what Chapter 4 might be. I will probably play it too, and I hope the story will remain engaging (and not just a big cluster like Chapter 3 Act 3 has been). 

Anyway, have you started the new event story? The one with the band has come a bit earlier than I expected (yesterday instead of late May), so at least we got something new to do. As for the Scarlet Devil Tower story, I was confused, and misunderstood. sodaodaoda more than likely referred to the 3 stages + story with the Witch of Scarlet Dreams. What I liked about that story is that it actually makes sense, and explains a little how you become able to access Alterisa as a friend. I wish more stories like these were made for the other SFES units, just that you could get a bit of connection and sense in regards to how you end up getting them besides meta reasons like "game wants new content to make money from". The story is simple, cute, and actually had quite a bit of fun when the two Marisa met (what do they do - let's have a demonstration fight to see how the other performs). As said, I really wanna see more of that in the future. 

Also about the roadmap for Fantasy Rebirth, this is what we know as of now:

unknown.png

Edited by CountVonNumenor
  • Like 1

spacer.png

3 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

Anyway, have you started the new event story? The one with the band has come a bit earlier than I expected (yesterday instead of late May), so at least we got something new to do. As for the Scarlet Devil Tower story, I was confused, and misunderstood. sodaodaoda more than likely referred to the 3 stages + story with the Witch of Scarlet Dreams. What I liked about that story is that it actually makes sense, and explains a little how you become able to access Alterisa as a friend. I wish more stories like these were made for the other SFES units, just that you could get a bit of connection and sense in regards to how you end up getting them besides meta reasons like "game wants new content to make money from". The story is simple, cute, and actually had quite a bit of fun when the two Marisa met (what do they do - let's have a demonstration fight to see how the other performs). As said, I really wanna see more of that in the future. 

Also about the roadmap for Fantasy Rebirth, this is what we know as of now:

unknown.png

I haven't tried any of the events for a while but this band one looks fun, so I'll check it out. I want more characters like Alterisa (amazing nickname) to have events too. I'd love to see MSM Youmu interact with our Youmu more.

Those fantasy rebirth costumes are so beautiful! I always think about more of my favourites getting these outfits one day.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 8:50 PM, Isaac said:

I want more characters like Alterisa (amazing nickname) to have events too.

Yeah, it is actually quite a good nickname. The other nickname I can remember from this game, but used for MC, is "Lossie". It was used both in the prologue by Yukari, and in the Hifuu storyline by Maribel (coincidence? I think not). But yeah, I would like to se the other SFES getting something similar, in order for us to understand how they got in our service. But I get we cannot get it yet due to the stories not being complete yet (Hakugyouku Arena needs one more act, and both Lunar War stories seem to have ended in some sort of cliffhanger; the SDM story is also a bit in limbo, and would definitely need some explanation how are we able to summon Remilia and Flan).

For something different, now that we are into the Anniversary and first Forever Prayer (there will be one more once this one ends). For that, I will just repost here my question from r/touhou_lostword:

I know, it has been discussed quite a lot... but I am not sure what to pick at this Forever Prayer. If I am to go by the "waifu > meta" route, I already have all the units I looking for. If I am to go for the meta, I am not sure what to pick. I already have Suika, Tenshi, Iku, Hecatia and Yuuka (also coinciding with the waifu part), as well as two SFES units.

For this edition of the FP, I was thinking to get Toyohime, Miko or one of the EoSD retros. I got Miko in Day 2, and ever since I am not decided whether to keep her or go for something new. I mean she looks cute and all, but I am not too impressed of the elements she carries. besides, I was looking to slow down a bit the pace of getting new characters, as I got a few recently and cannot keep up with upgrading them. (gonna get back to that a bit later).

As for the miscellaneous stuff, it is more like a round-up of questions and things I have realized after playing Lost Word for a year now:

• may or may not be a mistake on my side, but I have not spent a single God Cube since I started the game. Therefore, after this Everybody Winds campaign, I will have 4K of them; I have not found yet a costume to be 100% sure I want, and did not upgrade the dojo or school - I have seen how much emphasis is put here on the idea of using GCs for those upgrades, but until now I have gone quite well with the default number of assets
  • I am quite curious when will PCB Yukari and Alice get a rerun; since they are separate banners, even if I would like to get them (3K SCs to spare), the fact they come separate is putting me off a bit, and was thinking when would they get a rerun with maybe both characters in the same banner like we got recently with other retro units
  • on a similar note, any idea what the next retros coming to Global might be? I do not really have a particular one I am looking for, but curiosity is always a thing
  • in the end, what characters from your Top 10 list do you already have, and for which are you still waiting for to be brought to Global? In my case, I already have Akyuu, Eiki, Youmu, Yuuka, Mayumi, Okuu, Junko, Hecatia and Iku, and I am still waiting for Raiko and Tenkyuu (whenever the cast of Touhou 18 will come into Lost Word). I would have also added Maribel and Renko, but I do not think they will get past the NPC status.

What makes this even better is the one answer I got yet - Sunny Milk or Cirno. Jokes on you, I already have those two 

• Like 1

spacer.png

On 5/17/2022 at 11:08 PM, CountVonNumenor said:

Roadmap for the next week, following the maintenance tomorrow (19th May 2022). We are getting the "Blonde Reisen" SFES, and most of the things that started this week will keep going as they are.

uvw0fzv3evz81.jpg

Time to catch up on everything. With the forever prayer, I've been trying to find either Yuugi, Saki or Miko so far.  I really want to have a team with all the characters from SA.

It was surprising seeing reisen arrive early. Guessing we will get the other hifuu ones within a similar time frame. I like how the global version is on par with jp for ufes characters now.

I actually joined the lostword discord recently and I've been trying to convince new people to not disregard anyone who isn't Flandre or Remila. I still don't like the obsession with tier lists and think everyone should just pick characters they like. There have been nice people I've met though.

As for my supposed top 10, I guess I nearly have everyone apart from my number one. I'll continue to wait for Parsee like always. (:

It has always been the nature of gacha to be the cash-grabby archetype, and this time is no exception.
But, I do think this is working kinda well, and I can see Touhou working with gacha in the future, just not in the way it is now. I played both LW and Dankagu, and found them to be quite entertaining. Mostly Dankagu, since rhythm games has been my soft spot for years. 
So, yes, it has potential to work, but keep it in the right hands who knows what they're doing with their arts of microtransaction-barganing, or else we'll have a dumpster fire of a game that dies off and hurts the series just a little bit more.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Time to catch up on everything. With the forever prayer, I've been trying to find either Yuugi, Saki or Miko so far.  I really want to have a team with all the characters from SA.

Welcome back. Until now, I did get Miko in the forever prayer, but went further in the idea of getting one of the EoSD retros. Today I need to spin the wheel again, but I am not sure if I wanna remove the Okina I got yesterday. She looks cute, but I am not sure about her usefulness. 

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

It was surprising seeing Reisen arrive early. Guessing we will get the other Hifuu ones within a similar time frame. I like how the global version is on par with jp for ufes characters now.

I am honestly feeling quite hesitant about this whole rush Global has been going through in the past half a year. Blonde Reisen is a new record for speedrunning a character from JP to Global, record that was initially held by EoSD Reimu. After all, Global is a game that was released 1 year after the JP version, so there is a need to recover quite a lot. In a way, it is not a bad thing, as it would make it easier to manage things if they are synchronized. Otherwise, it means a lot of content (including banners) will be rushed.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

I actually joined the lostword discord recently and I've been trying to convince new people to not disregard anyone who isn't Flandre or Remila. I still don't like the obsession with tier lists and think everyone should just pick characters they like. There have been nice people I've met though

How is the atmosphere in there? Is it as bad are people make it be? Alright, now for the units part. There is this whole debate i general about whether you should go for waifu or for meta. From what you have seen, many seem to be meta slaves, who want to keep up with the new strongest stuff. Which in a way is fair, as the game seems to favor these very strong units with some of the new stuff added. Which brings me to a few new gripes I have developed recently with this game:

• I might be very dumb, but I simply cannot win any of the EX stages; I might need better strategy, and more suited units for each kind. Even if I have the units needed, I am lacking the story cards needed. If you go by the NextNinja guide in terms of what story cards to equip your units with, you will notice a lot of those are cards that are hard to obtain

• the part that annoys me the most is how much you have to grind for those cards, as they have rather low drop rate (Witch of Scarlet Dream, Mysterious Sword Master, the Okina story card etc). I tried my luck recently at getting a few more WoSD cards, but in 160 battles at x4 drop rate, I got 1 SINGLE CARD. Great... when I asked other gacha players how they get their cards, they said they just keep a duplicate version of that character for "purple-heart farming" (aka worst level of relationship with a 2hu in the game). But what really made me feel sick was seeing a photo from another user flexing with 24 MLB copies of WoSD (this means the person managed to get 120 copies of that card). Which I am not lucky at all. In the case of the MSM card, it is even worse, as it is obtained from a 3 waves battle, and those battles last forever. I do not want to keep unit copies for exhausting them, nor am I too used to staying and grind for hours just to get a stupid card. However, I feel this is become harder and harder to do without those special cards, as you are not presented any other, easier to obtain alternatives. Besides, my PCB Yukari, PCB Alice and Murasa need a story card with HEAVY Bullet bonus in their Last Word, yet I cannot find any alternative, easier to obtain that the Okina cord that requires you to farm a stage against a 100K HP mini-Yuyuko and 2 HP bars Back Youmu

• which brings me to the next point - is it just me, or some of those new mechanics to make battles more difficult feel a little cheap? Like introducing multiple HP bars ("Spell Gauge") and the Binding mechanic (you can no longer use abilities, barriers, boost or spread/focus shot for 5 turns unless you have a character with the ability to remove those binds - until now, this ability I have only seen at SFES Toyohime)

• I have been advancing through the Scarlet Devil Tower, but now I am stuck at Floor 21. If only there wasn't a Tanuki who applies +2 barriers to the enemy team almost every turn. I really need to get rid of that Tanuki as soon as possible, but afterwards I have to deal with Yukari as well. Currently, my team revolves around SFES Toyohime + 2 more units that have fitting elemental breaks. However, looking at stuff like Floor 120 or 210. with characters that have HP bars in the millions of points, multiple HP bars and binding galore, it feels a bit too much.

• last but not least, Hakugyoku Arena, Phantasm Stage. That thing is so annoying, especially when your units barely do 10% of their normal damage while the bosses have their HP increased 10 times. I was told that even with 6 fully upgraded SFES units ("bricked" as they see to call fully upgraded units), Phantasm would take you 30-40 rounds to finish. I do not think I have enough abilities, spell cards and patience for something like that...

I feel like I might be too much of a casual player, mostly focusing on playing with his favorite girls from Touhou. But maybe I am even less than that, because others who say are also casual players have even better results. Like lots of resources (seen an account with 10K Seal Crystals, all allegedly coming from f2p, and still had lots of good upgraded units + dupes), or almost everyone who had a banner until now. I was also asked why I do not upgrade all my characters. My answer is simple: I just do not care about them. Most of those that have the lease upgrades are also the ones that score the lowest in my sorter. Especially since I focused more on upgrading the waifu ones, since I wanted to have m favorites perform well. But now, with the way stuff is being added, I am getting worried they are becoming irrelevant, and have no place in a team. 

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

As for my supposed top 10, I guess I nearly have everyone apart from my number one. I'll continue to wait for Parsee like always. (:

You actually made me curious about Parsee too. As for my personal list, I am still waiting for Raiko (she got a gorgeous costume for the music event right now, as she is part of the band with the Prismrivers), and whenever UM will bring its cast into the game (really looking for Tenkyuu, Tsukasa and Sannyo)

• Like 2

spacer.png

35 minutes ago, waddlewaffle said:

or else we'll have a dumpster fire of a game that dies off and hurts the series just a little bit more.

Let's be honest now. It is not as if most of the fans that found and joined this community in the past year only know about Touhou due to gacha games like Lost Word, without having any knowledge about the actual games, publications or at least other parts of the fandom. I just hope Touhou will not be treated as "just another gacha game", since this looks to be becoming an increasing concern for some of the people who have been fans of this series from before these games were released.  Or how some of them say, "I have been a Touhou fan for more years than how old you are, gacha player". (not that I a in a much better situation; I've been into Touhou since October-November 2020, when LW was already half a year old on the JP server, and there would be half a year more until Global would be released)

• Thinking 1

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, CountVonNumenor said:

I feel like I might be too much of a casual player, mostly focusing on playing with his favorite girls from Touhou. But maybe I am even less than that, because others who say are also casual players have even better results. Like lots of resources (seen an account with 10K Seal Crystals, all allegedly coming from f2p, and still had lots of good upgraded units + dupes), or almost everyone who had a banner until now. I was also asked why I do not upgrade all my characters. My answer is simple: I just do not care about them. Most of those that have the lease upgrades are also the ones that score the lowest in my sorter. Especially since I focused more on upgrading the waifu ones, since I wanted to have m favorites perform well. But now, with the way stuff is being added, I am getting worried they are becoming irrelevant, and have no place in a team. 

Correct, it hard to find players that doesn't care about the whole meta and wifu, don't worry about having a no place in the team, deep down I know you love to enjoy the game with your favs but also the ones that score lower in the list. As for me, I might be the most naïve player as all I think about is gotta to collect 'em all as I love all of the characters of Touhou even in a gacha game. (Darn banners and Rng, I haven't got the Yuugi) Hey, they will come in play as you fight the SDT. 

I'm simply tired and out of touch with LW to answer most if not all of your points as it's time that got wasted while playing that darn game which screws me over with Dups. Oh well, guess it's for another time.

• Like 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

46 minutes ago, Gou the frog said:

Correct, it hard to find players that doesn't care about the whole meta and waifu

Personally, I understood this whole affair as whether you are using a character either because they are strong and fit the meta/what is needed to beating the stages, or because you like the character. Therefore, useful in quest challenge vs using the character simply because you like her.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Back again, I'll try to be more active now and check the other threads.

I'm glad that Nue and Nazrin are here in the global version. It's been ages since we last had another UFO character join. Peacekeeper Reisen is also here meaning space Kaguya will be very soon too.

For the the phantasm stage in the arena, I couldn't be bothered playing through it. Like you guys said, the amount of damage we do compared to how much HP they have is ridiculous. The rewards don't seem worth enough to spend that much time.

I also don't want to keep grinding for those rare cards. Even with the increased drop rate, they still might not appear after 100 battles. I didn't even know what purple heart was until people mentioned the farming method. I wouldn't try it at all even if it meant I could get the cards quicker. The meta doesn't matter much to me either. I just like having as many characters as I can, but still use my favourites.

At least there is the story update to look forward to.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 4:18 PM, Isaac said:

I'm glad that Nue and Nazrin are here in the global version. It's been ages since we last had another UFO character join. Peacekeeper Reisen is also here meaning space Kaguya will be very soon too.

Welcome back. Indeed, today we started the new banner featuring Nazrin and Nue. There is still no sign of Kogasa though. Maybe she will appear together with Raiko? (more about the taiko tsukumogami later). I am not not very interested in the SFES Reisen, so I can just hoard more SCs to recover the losses from PCB Yukari + Alice.

For the the phantasm stage in the arena, I couldn't be bothered playing through it. Like you guys said, the amount of damage we do compared to how much HP they have is ridiculous. The rewards don't seem worth enough to spend that much time.

Yeah, that stage looks a little too much like pain. I am not even sure what is that prize thing, and how it works. If it is indeed a new item used for the already existing material currencies.

I also don't want to keep grinding for those rare cards. Even with the increased drop rate, they still might not appear after 100 battles. I didn't even know what purple heart was until people mentioned the farming method. I wouldn't try it at all even if it meant I could get the cards quicker. The meta doesn't matter much to me either. I just like having as many characters as I can, but still use my favorites.

That is probably the most annoying part right now. Especially since I do not have ANY of the required cards (no copy or too few copies) to fill in the characters I have, especially the newer ones. And without those, they might be useless, or at least not be able to do their full potential. An the fact there are no easier to obtain card alternatives, even if not as good, feels criminal to me. 

This is the photo I was talking about with 24 MLB Witch of Scarlet Dreams story cards 

Screenshot_2022-05-19-22-36-28-44.jpg

Alright, time to switch a little bit towards some more person things, followed by the news roundup.

In terms of personal experience with the game, I finally acquired my first GCs costume. It took me 480 of them, but I finally have the Iku winter clothes. I was thinking about getting that outfit, and was ready to wait until winter. However, with the event rerun, I had the chance to acquire it now. All i can say is that it looks adorable.

20210924_109002____FIX.png

Now, for the roundup. Looking through the r/touhou_lostword community, a few posts have caught my attention. Some of them are bringing interesting info, others are stats, and others are just humorous with a layer of irony. 

• Lost Word Global has skipped two events by now, one of them twice seemingly. One of them has received some photos of new outfits we have lost, while the other one could have made the Epilogue story of the Masked Dance Rebellion event make more sense. We were apparently supposed to get an event related to the Prismriver sisters and their marching band outfits, and probably would have gone into how they ended up playing in a band with Raiko (this probably would have also given us the Raiko banner, which pisses me off quite a bit we did not get). 

Spoiler

6vnol3ti0p091.jpg?width=1947&format=pjpg

shp634ti0p091.jpg?width=2021&format=pjpg

p69bj3ti0p091.jpg?width=1980&format=pjpg

1psul4ti0p091.jpg?width=1979&format=pjpg

wrgnl4ti0p091.jpg?width=1994&format=pjpg

I wonder if we will ever get these two events, or how long will it take until. Meanwhile we are having fun with repeating the Christmas-New Year event at the beginning of summer. Cannot fully complain though, as I got the Iku outfit out of this ordeal. 

• We have 4 SFES banners going on right now, out of which two are reruns. The thread I will link is 4 days old, so some of the stuff no longer applies. However, I do agree with the general opinion. From Anniversary 0.5 onwards, it feel as if the emphasis was on adding as many SFES units as possible, while general units did not get too much attention. Apparently so much that we are behind with the schedule. 

• The monthly list of "characters not yet in the game" has returned. This time, I have noticed there is also a full list of all the alt characters (playable or just encounters of all sorts), for both Global and JP.

The alts list is as it follows: 

Alts

If a character is italicized then it means they only appear in cutscenes

• A universe (Retro): Reimu Hakurei (Scarlet/EoSD), Marisa Kirisame (Scarlet/EoSD), Sakuya Izayoi (Scarlet/EoSD), Youmu Konpaku (Cherry/PCB), Reisen Udongein Inaba (Eternal/IN), Aya Shameimaru (Flower/PoFV), Byakuren Hijiri (Fantastic/UFO), Cirno (Scarlet/EoSD), Yukari Yakumo (Cherry/PCB), Alice Margatroid (Cherry/PCB), Sanae Kochiya (Wind/MoF), Kanako Yasaka (Wind/MoF), Nitori Kawashiro (Wind/MoF), Toyosatomimi no Miko (TD), Patchouli Knowledge (Scarlet/EoSD), Hong Meiling (Scarlet/EoSD), Ran Yakumo (Cherry/PCB), Eirin Yagokoro (Eternal/IN), Suwako Moriya (Wind/MoF), Yuyuko Saigyouji (Cherry/PCB)
  • B universe (Hifuu Club Chapter 1/Mechas): Marisa Kirisame (Enchanter), Reimu Hakurei (Shaman), Youmu Konpaku (Gardener), Sanae Kochiya (Oracle), Sakuya Izayoi (Servant), Reisen Udongein Inaba (Soldier), Watatsuki no Yorihime (Kannagi), Watatsuki no Toyohime (Otohime), Reisen (Rabbit 2) *, Sagume Kishin (Azusa), Kaguya Houraisan (Nayotake), Junko (Terror), Reisen Undongein Inaba (Rabbit 1)
  • E universe (Hifuu Club Chapter 2/Scarlet Devil Mansion): Remilia Scarlet (Little Devil Mistress), Flandre Scarlet (Hunter Vampire), Sakuya Izayoi (Hunter), Patchouli Knowledge (Mage), Hong Meiling (Gatekeeper), Koakuma (Butler)
  • F universe (Main Story Chapter 3.5): Reimu Hakurei (God Summoning Shaman) * , Yukari Yakumo (Tiny Great Youkai)
  • R universe (Main Story Chapter 3): Youmu Konpaku (Mysterious Sword Master), Yuyuko Saigyouji (Little Ghost Mistress)
  • Z universe (Main Story Chapter 2): Marisa Kirisame (Witch of Scarlet Dreams)
  • Unknown/Miscellaneous universe(s): Reimu Hakurei (PC-98), Marisa Kirisame (PC-98) Sunny Milk (Maid) (Could be apart of the A universe, but I have no idea so she’s down here), Sanae Kochiya (Yellow/Red)

Note: God Summoning Shaman Reimu and Rabbit 2 Reisen are playable in JP [the Reisen alts are now in Global too - original text is 1 week old by now]

• This little comment made my day better, especially because it is is true in regards to what we saw, or at least the impression created as of yet by MC/"Lossie"

Basically a continuation to this one 

Also, I can probably say the same thing about this meme:

a96dfik8zc191.jpg

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou_lostword/comments/uwjfla/ufes_who_needs_that_im_building_an_army_of_sunny/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I have also launched a new thread on the subreddit in the hope of creating a retrospective of this one year since the global version of the game was released 

• Like 1

spacer.png

News roundup for the end of May 2022:

1) Updates for June 2022

Global

• Conflux Battles ft. the Youmus (L1, R8, and B3). Unknown if it will be rerun.
  • Special tasks for Fantasy Rebirth. A free Ring of Fate can be obtained.
  • Good monthly login bonus for June with 50 cubes in total, Paper Doll, Divine Doll, Fortune Dust, 50 mirrors for characters with pre-existing rebirths
  • Fantasy Rebirths for June are Ran, Chen, Mokou, Kaguya and Eirin (Note: at the time of this post, both Kaguya and Eirin do not have the costumes in JP yet)
  • Weekly Arena planned for June 24th
  • Event in June is Yakumo’s Ambition (about time) (one of the events Global skipped)
  • General pool units for June are Kogasa, Mystia, Futo and Kutaka

JP June Rebirth 2.0

• Marisa (again)
  • Sakuya (again)
  • Reisen (again)
  • Byakuren
  • Kanako
  • Nitori

Red further in the original thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou_lostword/comments/v07xn8/text_based_news_summary_more_jp_fantasy_rebirth/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

2) More of the Touhou 18 cast has started being featured on the JP version (we might be getting Chimata and Tsukasa soon...)

Spoiler

voq3oiz2os291.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

gzuynhz2os291.jpg?width=1334&format=pjpg

uj9iijz2os291.jpg (1334×750)

The original thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou_lostword/comments/v1nsoq/jp_spoilers_new_character_galore/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

3) Maintenance summary - Global will have maintenance on the 2nd of June, and the following will be added:

mwdxtnznot291.jpg (1995×6831)

• Lunar War Kaguya (SFES)
  • MoF Sanae Retro + Mononobe no Futo banner
  • some new battle type - "Conflux Battle Stage"
  • already ongoing things continue or have been extended (as in the case of Star EX)

4) Results of my poll are up. I am surprised about the overwhelmingly good reception of Lost Word after 1 year on Global, especially after all the things that have happened. Dis the developer team actually manage to redeem itself after the controversy at the half a year anniversary? Is the game just that good? Or people in that environment are just too used to gacha game they have become desensitized to absolutely anything? 

Results (based on 376 votes, voting pool closed after 3 days):

"I like it quite a bit" = 53.72%
"It is OK/could have been better" = 42.02%
"I don't really like it" = 2.12%
"I hate it" = 1.06%
"I have not played the game" = 1.06%

For more results, I will try the poll again, this time in a more neutral environment like r/touhou (or at least anywhere else but on r/touhou_lostword)

• Like 2

spacer.png

Following the second survey, this time, on r/touhou, results are up. Unfortunately, I could only get half the number of people involved, and so things are slightly less interesting. But, when it comes to the results, this is where we are (based on a 3 days poll):

a total of 160 participants
"I like it a lot/Ilove it" - 8.75%
"I like it quite a bit" - 30.62%
"It is OK/could have been better" - 28.75%
"I don't really like it" - 6.87%
"I hate it" - 3.75%
"I have not played the game" - 21.25%

This with this poll have gone...the way they did. At least in initial stages, based on poor reception. Which might explain the lower number of votes, as Lost Word has become in just a year some sort of stigma in the Touhou community. I think the following post reflects quite well the situation presented:

NGL I don’t think there’s anything particularly wrong with the post, just that ppl don’t see LW/gacha favorably. It lined up with/contributed to the popularity increase last year, and having people introduced to the series through a gacha wouldn’t sit well with people, because there’s that crowd that only know Touhou as that gacha and remain in that bubble, something similar to the Become Fumo/Fumo discourse. This is just from observations with opinions on LW. Which to be fair, to each their own. I wish this poll can stay up because it can give a better opinion based on the wider community as a whole instead of just the LW community which would obviously have bias.

But of course, the most popular comment was the one saying "I have not played Lost Word", to which "based" and "the only correct answer" ensued. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

spacer.png

News roundup 10/06/2022

Game update coming in a few hours after maintenance:

l9b7i1uku7491.jpg

s1w2qis8og491.png

There is also a cleaner version of the update info, done by a user of the subreddit (I think this Kakashi Spirit thing will sort of becoming a recurring element of that group, and I am very much up for that):

sm6mg9umuk491.png

This is the beginning of what I said in regards to the Kakashi style news thing https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou_lostword/comments/v5dukf/kakashi_spirit_news_issue_no1/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

vjzggax16t391.jpg

Also for some other news from Global and JP servers:

• Touhou 18 cast is actually coming - first unit released on JP seems to be Misumaru, rated as FES unit. More about that here: 
  • meanwhile, Global will receive Keiki and Kutaka (time for the community to continue the Kutaka & her KFC style outfit jokes continue - that is a legit costume she can get)
  • Yakumo Ambition event starting in a few hours on Global
  • not really big news, but someone found a funny reference in regards to a pose done by Kanako and Suwako:

• Last hours of Conflux battle stage, I guess. I was thinking to talk a bit about it, but got way too annoyed by the locking mechanic that I dropped the stage after trying to get more than 0 stars of Hard (funny how they actually give you 0 stars, but still count it as a Clear). And after that, everything else happened, so I lost the chance to talk about that event battle. Anyone else played it or wants to share? I just think it was extremely annoying, and quite the epitome of my hate for the "Binding" mechanic. 
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Time to make an update and bring the news roundup (it seems like I am pretty much the only one still keeping alive this place, so at least I should do it properly)

News and Updates

Maintenance starts in a few hours, so here are the things we have or will have soon enough:

• maintenance brings up another SFES character, the version of Sakuya we have seen in the newest Hifuu story, a special battle stage against Hifuu Remilia, Kogasa and retro Kanako banner, Mirror of Rebirth stages can be played 6 times a day instead of 3 for a limited time and Daily Quests are back (time to beat lvl 10 Star, Luna and Sunny again)
  • Kakashi Spirit News has returned with a second issue (always good for getting a condensed, more focused version of the updates list) - thank you Hatate, I guess
Spoiler

oyfjb0oyjt591.png (1080×1994)

ihiqozyyjt591.png (1080×1994)

• already mentioned in the two bits of info, we are getting new Fantasy Rebirth outfits, as well as a glimpse at what will come next (I know where I will use a ring at some point) - right now. 6/17 update gives us Mokou, Kaguya and Eirin

• JP is getting a bunch of new retro characters - both Scarlet and Komeiji sisters have been featured in Scarlet Devil Tower, so they will most likely come as a banner as well at some point (although retro Koishi banner seems to have already been announced)

unknown.png

now on with the next category

Miscellaneous community talk and memes

• a bit of talk in regards to the final act of the Hakugyokuro Arena story - after the mess that was Act 3, Act 4 ended up a bit quickly, and after some potential buildup that went nowhere 
  • there seems to be a trend nowadays of drawing renditions of what would MC ("main character"/insert however you decided to call her) look like based on the info we have received in the story and interactions; this is one of my favorite versions of her

• Sr Pelo has decided to delight us with some Patchouli art - everyone jumped to notice the reference he seems to have made to the Scarlet Win, White Win story card and the pose Patchy does in that artwork 
Spoiler

FU2H_SsXsAANd-E?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

435345534.png

I just love how much of a meme status this image got, especially since it is very much done after another meme. Yet everyone seems to love pointing out Patchy's thighs of all the things

• looks like it took someone quite a bit to realize Alterisa, Blue Reimu and Mysterious Sword Master are basically Hisoutensoku palette swaps 
Spoiler

xiclm3fks7591.png?width=303&format=png&auto=webp&s=ceb2a4b4e886ff23bd22b845ef6c30d72b6a192e

"Mysterious Sword Master"

zixj754ys7591.png (329×286)

"Blue Reimu" (seriously, we could not get a more original name?)

wwar8goys7591.png (283×256)

"Witch of Scarlet Dreams"

• and last but not least, this meme

7p2vsxngb5591.jpg

• Like 2

spacer.png

I'mma write some of my thoughts on the first anniversary, since I didn't rlly write anything here in a while.
I liked the first anniversary! It looked very overwhelming to me, but it was okay.

I pulled PCB Alice in 2 step-ups, and now she's my favorite friend. So in terms of pulls, I didn't suffer that much. I also got PCB Yukari in 3 10-pulls. I also did a step up for Keiki, and got her twice in one pull! And considering she is an EX tier, I am very happy.

As for the story, I was... Dissapointed with the finale of CH3. It was very anti climactic for me. Like, in Part 1 and 2, you had a very urgent feel to the whole story, but from part 3 onwards, nothing. It just made me very sad.

Overall, it was pretty nice! We got tons of resources. I also put my email for the fumo and other 2hu merch giveaway, so I hope I win.
Also....

Spoiler

Playable Misumaru in Global when? Have you seen her damn Lost Word?!?!

• Like 2

Number 1 Alice, Meiling and Youmu fan! jaooooooooo

On 6/17/2022 at 9:26 AM, sodaodaoda said:

As for the story, I was... Dissapointed with the finale of CH3. It was very anti climactic for me. Like, in Part 1 and 2, you had a very urgent feel to the whole story, but from part 3 onwards, nothing. It just made me very sad.

That is true. I feel like Chapter 3 has been quite a mess. Very long, with unnecessary detours and a lot of characters coming out of the blue, especially at the end of the chapter. The beginning of the Finale did not really help either, but I think that is perhaps I did not understand all the cultural references as an outsider. But at leas it was a little bit shorter than the previous chapter... Did Japan get the next story, or we pretty much caught up with them?

Also a question for everyone: out of all the events in the past year, which one has been your favorite?

• Like 1

spacer.png

Instead of bringing the news roundup (don't worry, it will come soon), I have decided to go back to the very origins of this thread in the old days of regular Reddit posting. This whole thread about LostWord, despite starting with the criticizing of the characters system, was also inspired by a video created by Megapig9001

Going again through the video and its comments, especially the newer ones (anything after my comment - also PLS MEGAPIG continue making videos on LW, I really liked the reviews based on different events and other in-game stuff), I have seen a few that caught my attention.

the reason why i despise lost world so much is because this series is so beautiful because of both the original content and the fan content. ZUN was the big bang for all of the fan content that we al enjoy on the internet: being music, fan arts and games, all inspired by this series of games made by one man. The fan made music especially is the type of content with the most quality and effort. All of this was made with passion for the series, every piece of content is a gift for and from the fans. I'm not against creating a piece of fan content and making money out of it, you deserve to be rewarded for your hard work, lost word however is a different story. Lost word is the representation of how soulless the gacha business is. a template of a game, repeated over and over, same concepts, same automatic battles, same "roll the slot machine" sistem, the only difference are the girls that you are able to obtain. A complete waste of money and time, a lot of gacha players are even aware of how bad it is this is not the type of content where the money made are to reward the devs hard work, this is using something already existing, and exploiting it to make money. It's like taking all of the water from a river and selling it to it's people who always drank it for free

I'm not a big fan of LW and gachas at all but i don't understand the arguments against gachas here.

First, the beginning statement about how spending a lot of money doesn't make you happier doesn't describe touhou gacha players but really small percent of them who actually spend a lot. Majority of touhou gacha players are f2p or low spenders and almost none of the arguments describes them here. Maybe if you meant spending any money on these games but then it's not "spending a lot can't buy you happiness" but "spending at all can't buy you happiness" but then it could be said not only about touhou gachas at this point but literally every touhou thing cause you have to buy the manga or original touhou games. The paradox here would be buying manga and then reading in this manga that money doesn't give happiness.

But okay there's argument that gachas are against original games principles because they exist to make money. But you can say the same thing about anything that doesn't come out from ZUN himself or isn't fanmade. Figurines, Fumos, collaborations with other franchises and overall touhou merchandise are also bad because they are made to make money? You also have people that spend too much money on this which also is a minority and most people buy things because they like particular something or don't buy at all.

This paradox isn't really characteristic to touhou games either. In bigger gachas like genshin you also have stories about how being greedy and putting too much value on money is bad. It is hypocritical but when talking about that it would be nice to not saying that it is problem of one particular franchise.

Also I have no idea what poor game management and dramas that come out of it has anything to do with critique of gacha as a game genre. The same way you argument against LW using drama someone can counter saying about content outside gacha like gameplay etc. both of these have nothing to do with the gacha system itself. I'm not saying that this drama doesn't deserve talking about but it isn't the subject here, is it?

Again I believe it'll be good to repeat that i don't like gachas, I don't play any of them, I'm against this system but I didn't find any good arguments against gacha here. It's understandable that touhou channel would focus on touhou gachas but it doesn't work here. Not even talking about the fact that you portrayed touhou gachas as something you can't get happiness from which I'm pretty sure people can and do and also reminder to other people in comments calling them 14-year olds, it doesn't make them worse in any way

This is my though: The real problem with gacha games is that most of the time they use high quality drawings to attrack people to play their game. Some say its more like a "waifu Casino," and some say its "totally fine." I don't mind games exist on phone, but I dislike when the developers focus WAYYYYY too much effort on design rather then game play.

Take example the official Touhou games, Its all made by ZUN himself so he can do whatever he wanted. Even though the character art isn't that good (expicially Sakyua EoSD), but the gameplay is really really fun. But when you play like a gacha game, you are basically playing it for the character rather then having fun. A serious problem with gacha games is when the player got left out for one day or longer, they are extremely left behind. Well It gives me the feeling of hopelessness, and for many they don't have money for games.

Some people will say "oh I don't pay money and still not addicted to it. I'm totally fine with it" is actually in big problems. Playing these games is more like mine control, and using cute girls as a way to milk weeb's money. Some people dedicated their entire life with these games, and spent MILLIONS over some cute girls pictures. In my words its basically a attachment, it stays with you and tries to control you as much as they can. Yes making games cost money, but what matters the most is fun.

The reason I prefer canon Touhou works is I can understand the effort ZUN put into his works, and believe it or not he is the most humble video game dev out there!! He basically support any opportunity he can to support his fans, and give licence to great projects like Touhou Lost word and many. Some days ago, ZUN even give licence to CAVE the licence to make their own official Touhou games. So this is why I prefer the original rather then fan made sometimes. Its basically Art, and the art of independence and free expression.

Many will say, Its hard to balance in both Quality and Quantity, so I would just simply say thats true. For example, I can make my own music and can draw, but doesn't know how to code and make sprites for a game. So I have to ask others for help, and sometimes finding help becomes a mess in times. So just because a game has good art, doesn't really mean its good gameplay.

Its a toxic business strategy to make Gacha games, this is why some fans starts to realize the problem with these mobile touhou Gacha games. I feel like the industry of Gacha games needs to be stopped, because its using attractive waifus as ways to milk money from weebs. So In the end, we should start thinking of how we should stop this toxic business trend from happening. (for people who finished reading this, please do not send hate to anyone who makes gacha games. They are just people, and is the company behind it is the problem)

Gacha is the worst type of videogame there is, the worst part of the gacha is that you'll never finish them, there is no closure to a gacha game, there is no ultimate power you obtain, there is no final boss to defeat, you'll never spend enough money to say "that's it", you can't master a gacha game but you can always spend 1 buck for the newest "nothing"

While LW has nice art, I really dislike that it's become so popular that people think it's an official Touhou game. I worry that people who would like other Touhou works are disappointed when they conclude that it's a gacha franchise at a glance. I really wish ZUN could boost marketing for North America and partner with THCRAP to release English ports on consoles to rectify this issue. :(

Well, even taking into consideration how evil gachas tend to be I think that these two gacha are welcomed imo. I remember when LostWord was JP exclusive. A lot of ppl was sad that they weren't able to play, others just found means to download it and play it (I know a guy who spent a lot of money on it) so LW coming to the west in a global release was pretty good imo. It has collabs from tons of well known artists, tons of arranges, new art, events, etc. Really good stuff overall. Up to this point most people know what a gacha is about. It's common place so a touhou gacha would do the same. That's how they work. I honestly think that the main reason things like this happen is that we the touhou community are both fragmented and we like cheap stuff (consider how most high quality content is/has been free). Overall I am happy to see games like LW making some noise on the west and the mountain of games getting into steam is great too. I agree that Touhou is the biggest fan-community nobody has heard of. I don't think that the ppl of LW or Kagura had evil intentions when they made their gachas. It's just how the world works. Everything needs money.

I remain an optimist to think that Lost Word is not about to reach it's End of Service apocalypse, but this is instead a heavy push to get the global server debut roster up to date with the JP server in order to prevent users from saving up by predicting the banner schedule the JP servers followed in order to only roll to spark OP character banners. This is similar to what NA Fate Grand Order players do, but they don't have the luxury to actually spark their chosen characters. With that said, this was still too sudden and a bad look to focus on the profit margin so harshly without at least giving the players a heads up. Just having a stream telling players that the global server is planning to catch up with JP would've been a good enough of a heads up.

I think part of the problem is the reason I call Touhou "The most popular series nobody has heard of". While current Touhou media has so many songs, fan works, fan art, games, etc that put many mainstream series to shame, it never had an explosion in popularity that many series with this amount of content did. All of this is because the fandom is VERY fragmented.
You got your music, games, doujins, fan art, manga, and even Fumo cliques all sharing the same huge building with fans moving back and forth among the cliques, but you simply cant get everyone to congregate in the same room. Without a main source to rally on like FGO became for Nasuverse fans; the only way for a Touhou gacha game to gain strong "support" from the fandom is to basically move the canon material to that game. This however would also create an insane amount of fan backlash that could ruin the series all at once. Now we all know this will not happen because while ZUN has given more leeway to his series as of late, he will always make sure that the grassroots movement that made Touhou as big as it is remains much stronger than the for-profit movement gacha games and studio sponsored anime follow.

So here we go. As said, news roundup should be coming soon, given that Blue Reimu has become a thing on Global too, one month after the JP release. On Wednesday, we should also probably get the infor on next maintenance, as well as maybe a roadmap for July content?

• Like 2

spacer.png

I have been talking so much about LostWord, yet I absolutely forgot about the existence of another game: Touhou Cannonball. That game literally shut down one day before I discovered Touhou, on the 14th of October 2020 (my earliest interaction with this series comes from the 15th of that month). A bit of a shame to be honest. I m adding it here in this thread because it also had a gacha system, so it fits the category. And also saw a video about the game for the first time, freshly released

As I said in the opening of this comment, now that I think of it, this game shut down literally one day before I found Touhou (shut down on the 14th October 2020, while my first interaction with the series was on the 15th). I have only learnt about the existence of Cannonball a few month afterwards, and exactly when I was thinking "this looks interesting, maybe I should try it out", I saw the mention of it no longer being a thing. This was still like 5 month before LostWord was going to get a Global release, and all I was looking for was to play a Touhou game that is not bullet hell (as I am an utter disaster at those kind of games). I mean, this game even decided to animate its characters in the cutscenes and whenever they had a dialogue to say in main menu (I presume) thanks to Live 2D, while LostWord is literally a PowerPoint presentation whose only changing element per character are facial expressions.

• Like 3

spacer.png

• CountVonNumenor changed the title to Do Touhou and gacha work together? (2022 - Touhou LostWord, Danmaku Kagura - closed/going to be revived, Arcadia Record)