Do Touhou and gacha work together? (2022 - Touhou LostWord, Danmaku Kagura - closed/going to be revived, Arcadia Record)

CountVonNumenor

Time for news roundup

News and updates

With the latest maintenance, a few new things have come into LW Global. The stars of this patch have to be Tenkyuu, Momoyo and Mike, who came together in the same banner.

Meanwhile, LostWord JP just announced their next retro unit. This time, we are talking about PCB/A7 Yuyuko.

Also, this week's news have also been presented by the colleagues from Kakashi Spirit News. Looks like Hatate is back at her job after a rather long absence, time in which she was replaced by the new (more) famous Scarlet Talk.

Community discussion and memes

Probably a good way to put the relation between your average Touhou fan and the existence of Touhou LostWord:

Sorry for the shorter edition, but this time there really is not so much to talk about. It s getting very late, and my internet connection has been rather bad for the past couple days. 

• Like 4

spacer.png

Another news roundup, snack edition (I think I will go by this name when there is just one or two things I wanna talk about):

News and updates

Yet another PC-98 character reveal. But with the way this game is handled, we really should not expect her to become playable (at least any time soon, just like the rest of the PC-98 cast). Interesting we did not really get any new JP character banner news in a while that was not a retro though... I think their latest alt was the Hifuu universe Patchouli. [EDIT: oh wait, I forgot about smol Satori and White Koishi] Anyway, on with the retro era character:

Yes, yes, Mima is here. But just like in any game made by after Mystic Square, she is/will not be playable. 

Edited by CountVonNumenor
  • Like 1

spacer.png

I’m so glad to see a rerun of the Watatsuki sisters prayer !! 🥲
Since I haven’t finished th18 yet I've just discovered two new and interesting character… but this rainbow lady doesn’t have a really pretty and catchy design for a final boss it looks like that have ZUN made her design on Paint 😐

Anyway, she's still cute ☺️

I’ve found some early Touhou costume concept by the way (ZUN has made a fanservice costume for Reimu 🙃)

57767129-4709-43DC-BED7-45F0DA465900.jpeg

• Like 2

Alright, here is something I forgot to add:

The one thing I noticed from the video is how much of a power and utility discrepancy there is between game release characters and characters from much later/today. Simply reading the skills for Daiyousei show much outmatched the early units are, or how much stronger, almost "do everything" characters got since. And don't get me talk about many, if not most game release characters had no elemental break at P0, many did not have any break even at max boost or had any element break AT ALL (looking at cases like L1 Alice and Chen, or Ran who only has element break in her Last Word). The game has changed quite a lot...

I’ve found some early Touhou costume concept by the way (ZUN has made a fanservice costume for Reimu )

That images are so cute! Are they all related to Reimu, or there is also for Marisa? Given there is both purple hair Reimu and a blonde girl looking like our favorite ordinary magician.

• Like 1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, CountVonNumenor said:

That images are so cute! Are they all related to Reimu, or there is also for Marisa? Given there is both purple hair Reimu and a blonde girl looking like our favorite ordinary magician.

There is only Reimu and Marisa in those images ☺️

By the way, it’s really a shame that we cannot play with our favorite characters with our favorite costumes in Touhou LostWord, I mean, Sakuya LostWord is weaker (or maybe not ?) than Sakuya Scarlet but the problem here is that Sakuya Scarlet doesn’t have the costumes that Sakuya LostWord has… I also like Minoriko a lot but I really can’t challenge the Scarlet Devil Tower with her or any lunatic level because she is way too weak and doesn’t have any potential for it (so sad) 😔

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nekofire said:

By the way, it’s really a shame that we cannot play with our favorite characters with our favorite costumes in Touhou LostWord, I mean, Sakuya LostWord is weaker (or maybe not ?) than Sakuya Scarlet but the problem here is that Sakuya Scarlet doesn’t have the costumes that Sakuya LostWord has… I also like Minoriko a lot but I really can’t challenge the Scarlet Devil Tower with her or any lunatic level because she is way too weak and doesn’t have any potential for it (so sad) 😔

I guess it is how it is. The developers preferred releasing a duplicate character in which they fixed past mistakes instead of repairing the already existent ones. Even the most outrageous ones, where improvements would be absolutely necessary (and not that Fantasy Rebirth, both normal and 2.0, are that much of a help in improving their stats or even access to elements - something I was greatly disappointed with in regards to 2.0)

• Like 1

spacer.png

A7 Yuyuko has just been announced to Global, along with a Taoist Dedicated Banner and a lite rerun of Remi's Trick Or Bullets. I'm not sure if I should be impressed or disappointed that we haven't received news about F1 Koishi or Small Satori

unknown.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plasmy said:

A7 Yuyuko has just been announced to Global, along with a Taoist Dedicated Banner and a lite rerun of Remi's Trick Or Bullets. I'm not sure if I should be impressed or disappointed that we haven't received news about F1 Koishi or Small Satori

unknown.png

Tojiko!!! She's finally here and I'm glad to see PCB Yuyuko arrive earlier too! We'll probably see Satori and Koishi in the next dev letter!

4 hours ago, Plasmy said:

Thank you for the summary, This makes things a little easier for me, as there's less content to cover at the following news roundup.

spacer.png

News roundup time. A bit shorter this time as most of the important stuff got already covered:

News and updates

JP has just announced two new units. Unless there is any sign for a Yuuma release, it means this is the end of the Windows era cast. They actually did it... the cast has been exhausted. From now on, it is either shifting focus towards PC-98 (just as likely to happen as Half-Life 3), or just create new alts. I guess we will have to expect new EFES and Relic FES from now on, since these are the only ones that still have content to release. While regular FES is slowly getting merged with the General pool. Retro is also possible, but we know nothing new besides the the A7 Yuyuko. Only EFES are clear because Chapter 4, while Relic FES because they have to go through all music videos.

Anyway, get ready for Sannyo and Tsukasa (obviously they are separate banners):

dohec76y9qu91.jpg?width=984&format=pjpg&

1nak776y9qu91.jpg?width=984&format=pjpg&

Apparently another Dev Letter will take place, and Patchy & Remi are looking into what may come out of it:

alfwygypzgu91.jpg

Just another day in the world of gacha pulls:

o2iofi0p2yt91.jpg

Man, the story creators really implied the idea MC-chan may have a crush on Sakuya. However, they also shot themselves in the foot when they decided to turn her into a small child (and confirmed it) during Chapter 3.5. Which ruins a little bit the double meaning of this meme:

0k2zepm8u4u91.jpg

Closing thoughts

As I am writing this, it is already 20th October 2022. Just 5 more days, and DanKagu will close forever. Even if I never touched that game, and cannot 100% confirm I would have enjoyed it even if we had a global released, I still feel very sad about its shut down. As if I lost someone who was dear to me. My feelings would probably be mixed of LostWord suddenly decided to shut down tomorrow, but DK really got me a strong feeling.

I am always getting mad when I look at even the tiniest character animation, let along an entire animated dialogue cutscene from DanKagu. Not only that the characters were moving and felt more lively, but the artstyle for them was also extremely cute. This is probably one of the greatest losses for me, since no other Touhou (at least mobile) game really wants to go that animation route. LostWord's dialogue cutscenes are as interesting and awkward as a PowerPoint presentation, and I have no idea what Arcadia Record is doing with their characters since nobody talks about that game. 

unknown.png

Imagine the fact these characters were really moving in the cutscene, and this was not just me posting a simple screenshot

(actually, you do not have to imagine anything; here is an animated cutscene - credit to the person who uploaded this to YouTube)

Before I get into some more opinions, I will leave here the recent video from Suwawako. I already posted here his videos about Cannonball and LostWord, and now he also covered DanKagu just to have the trilogy of famous Touhou mobile games:

Since I did not have the chance to play the game, I will let other people try analyze what went wrong with it:

"I've played the game and I can say that TO ME, some other factors caused its failure were 1) its music game part feels generally odd and out of place compared to PJSK and Arcaea or those excellent mobile music games and there were several fatal bugs at the early launch that caused missing notes which u don't suppose to. And that lost those core music gamers to drop out. 2) the chart design is lame, every chart was almost the same. some will stand out but not many. it's not bad but there was nothing exciting and ngl this problem was kinda solved AFTER their announcement of stopping maintaining the game. 3) I don't think only doing Touhou songs is the problem, the problem is that the songs they chose are just not thrilling to a music game and that kinda connects to problem 2 yet still they could come up with better charts when they didn't. Those are kinda regarding the gameplay and they are important to me. I very enjoyed the game but because of those I kinda AFK now". 

"So the reason this game failed is because it's just an Touhou skin of already existing games with the same mechanics. There are many Touhou fangames out there who are "Touhou versions" of other Popular games, but what make them interesting is how the mechanics translate to Touhou universe."

"Aquastyle was such a good developer. I really enjoy the game only spending my time and zero cash... and that should been a red flag. They failed catching whales/"hard-content" consumers cuz there was not such thing. The lack of making you spend money in the game for gameplay 0 cosmetics was good for the player but a bad decision for the life of DK. And no, it's not about being a "greedy gacha game" it's being profitable... At least GoodSmile recognizes the flawless point of their game and makes money with their merch, probably the reason why NextNinja can't go all in with  LW development."

"As a long time veteran of both Touhou and gacha rhythm games I have a few opinions on this. 
1) The game was in competition with too many other games, not just gacha rhythm games like: Idolmaster, bang dream, Hatsune Miku, etc. , but also other Touhou games, but even deeper than that, a plethora of Touhou based rhythm games, such as Spell bubble. It found itself in two small niches that were already over saturated: Touhou  gacha games and Touhou rhythm games 
2) The Touhou community is more hostile towards gacha than most anime/game communities. 
3) Bringing no new characters into the mix because it's a derivative work means fans have no cool new units to look forward to, which is killer to a gacha. We can only be excited for getting a Chen so many times.
4) No compelling story as we go and meet the same characters we've seen hundreds or times over the years.
5) Touhou community too far spread to gather around one thing like fate fans can over FGO, and at the budget they went for, they needed a bigger concentrated chunk of fans to gather a round it to sustain a live service."

"Why bother with a generic flat design Touhou gacha rhythm game when I can play Muse Dash or Touhou Spell Bubble?  It has better HUD, you can select the unlocked characters with in game animations, and you can add extra songs as DLC (Touhou collabs works wonderful here).  Or even better, have secrets inside the gacha system like Trombone Champion.  To make a successful gacha game, is doing something unique and dont copy paste other repetitive rhythm games"

Anyway, with DanKagu shutting down, what should we expect next? Will we, the scrubs not willing/being able to spend a single penny on a Touhou official/fan game, have anything else left to play an have the Touhou theme slapped all over it? LostWord seems to be following the same path once the producers realize they have no new idea what to introduce? They already do seem to be slowly running out of ideas. And to make it a coincidence, we are now getting a second back-to-back event rerun (last time when 2 successive events were reruns on Global was apparently back in spring). And once Chapter 4 will be over, what should we expect next? Will there be any  new content? There are already discussions behind the corner that LW is not doing so hot, and that we may expect an EoS announcement at some point. So buckle up, these sure are interesting times.

Just please, don't show me an of the cute DanKagu animated characters at least for the time being, because I don't think I will be able to handle it. It is already bad the game is going down, I don't want to be reminded again what we have lost. Although I will probably do it myself, just because I may have masochistic tendencies. On this depressing note, I dont really know when will the next news roundup be. Nothing new is happening, and it feels ever more tedious to just spend anywhere between 30 minutes - 1 hour just for writing one of those updates. It was fun when I started, but now I feel like the drive is slowly doing down since the source material is barely giving me anything exciting to write about. Not even getting Chimata (and basically finally completing my top 10 Touhou waifu collection) made me more excited for the game. This does not mean the end of the news roundup (and by extension of this thread). I took a commitment to keep updating this, so I guess I will keep being around for at least making this thread be 1 year of continuous discussion (which should be in March next year). 

• Like 2

spacer.png

Here is the content announced from the 2.5th anniversary dev letter of jp lostword.

Screenshot_20221026-114334_YouTube.thumb.jpg.09f1afff8c442c30677c10b2b10ab941.jpg

Screenshot_20221026-114425_YouTube.thumb.jpg.850561bd661fa0d8d7d3c3e7af4d8efd.jpg

Reimu and Marisa now have an Epic swimsuit variation. As much as I love both of them, it's just disappointing to see characters that should've been costumes instead. 

Screenshot_20221026-114641_YouTube.thumb.jpg.69a027e4924efa2560d7a0dd9a5ec525.jpg

Tewi and Mokou also have Ultra festival variations on the way. I actually thought blue Mokou would be an Epic character and while she does look cool, I'm still not interested with any of the Ufes. They're probably just focusing on these characters now, since everyone from Touhou 6-18 has been implemented already.

Screenshot_20221026-114854_YouTube.thumb.jpg.67100ab2a837a1b49afad552b9f93b53.jpg

However, there's another Mokou arriving shortly after. Her MV variation doesn't have a introduction video yet, but I still believe the Relic characters didn't need to exist at all. Even ZUN seemed confused about them in the dev letter livestream.

Screenshot_20221026-115708_YouTube.thumb.jpg.e198e24988678a627443f34c34bdea50.jpg

The Prismrivers finally have their fantasy rebirth outfits and they're all beautiful! Lyrica looks really cute while she's sitting on her piano!

Screenshot_20221026-121234_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6565ea469d353a4123cf081ff18dbd02.jpg

For the jp christmas event, costumes for Eiki, Narumi and Eika were revealed. I think all of them are adorable! Since the global version likes to include costumes with new characters, we might see Narumi and Eika arriving soon!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Here is the content announced from the 2.5th anniversary dev letter of jp lostword.

Screenshot_20221026-114334_YouTube.thumb.jpg.09f1afff8c442c30677c10b2b10ab941.jpg

Screenshot_20221026-114425_YouTube.thumb.jpg.850561bd661fa0d8d7d3c3e7af4d8efd.jpg

Reimu and Marisa now have an Epic swimsuit variation. As much as I love both of them, it's just disappointing to see characters that should've been costumes instead. 

Screenshot_20221026-114641_YouTube.thumb.jpg.69a027e4924efa2560d7a0dd9a5ec525.jpg

Tewi and Mokou also have Ultra festival variations on the way. I actually thought blue Mokou would be an Epic character and while she does look cool, I'm still not interested with any of the Ufes. They're probably just focusing on these characters now, since everyone from Touhou 6-18 has been implemented already.

Screenshot_20221026-114854_YouTube.thumb.jpg.67100ab2a837a1b49afad552b9f93b53.jpg

However, there's another Mokou arriving shortly after. Her MV variation doesn't have a introduction video yet, but I still believe the Relic characters didn't need to exist at all. Even ZUN seemed confused about them in the dev letter livestream.

Screenshot_20221026-115708_YouTube.thumb.jpg.e198e24988678a627443f34c34bdea50.jpg

The Prismrivers finally have their fantasy rebirth outfits and they're all beautiful! Lyrica looks really cute while she's sitting on her piano!

Screenshot_20221026-121234_YouTube.thumb.jpg.6565ea469d353a4123cf081ff18dbd02.jpg

For the jp christmas event, costumes for Eiki, Narumi and Eika were revealed. I think all of them are adorable! Since the global version likes to include costumes with new characters, we might see Narumi and Eika arriving soon!

Beat me. Now how am I to present the news if the news have already been presented? I guess this is what I get for procrastination instead of trying to defend my monopoly on the news. Anyway, good to see I am not the only one interested in presenting what is happening. 

spacer.png

Pfffft. ZUN being confused on the concept of Reli. Even he understands that something like that doesn't need to exist.

Swimsuit Marisa and Reimu being Epic sucks. A lot. But I guess their fate was sealed the moment Yukari and Hecatia were released.

Tewi and Mokou are so cool. God it's been a while since they've given us a character with a really sick design that isn't just a recolor.

• Like 2

With a slight delay due to an overcharged beginning of the week and lack of energy as a result, the news roundup is only coming out now.

News and updates

Just like Isaac pointed out, JP Dev Letter has announced a great variety of content. At the same time, just a couple days prior, we also had a Dev Letter for Global. Therefore, I will go through Global first, then get into what JP has to offer to the players:

1) If I am to use the summaries done by r/touhou_lostword, probably the easiest way would be to split everything into character and event releases. Anyway, in terms of characters, White Koishi makes her way into Global as an EPIC FES, while Little Satori will be Ultra FES. 

1nvku15brnv91.jpg?width=2002&format=pjpg

wcent15brnv91.jpg?width=1172&format=pjpg

2) Kagerou and Wakasagihime are also making their global debut, which only brings us closer to having the full roster of L1 Gensokyo characters. And they are not alone, as they also come with costumes. I still wonder what will the evet be if they ended up swapping clothes between the Grassroots Youkai...

p8lec25brnv91.jpg?width=2002&format=pjpg

iyksc15brnv91.jpg?width=1963&format=pjpg

xgdle35brnv91.jpg?width=1968&format=pjpg

2kktn15brnv91.jpg?width=1989&format=pjpg

3) The already released Halloween costumes for Remilia and Yoshika will soon be accompanied by that for Eirin, Tojiko and Hatate, part of this year's Halloween event:

ndwgr15brnv91.jpg?width=1975&format=pjpg

evn9635brnv91.jpg?width=2008&format=pjpg

nnrn625brnv91.jpg?width=2014&format=pjpg

jcd7v15brnv91.jpg?width=1976&format=pjpg

(is it just me, or Tojiko's pose has always looked like in the "I guess you are like little pogchamp" meme? And I mean ever since ZUN came up with her art from Ten Desires)

71ruk96brnv91.jpg?width=1945&format=pjpg 

4) Now moving to the events, Global will have a bunch of stuff in the following weeks. First off, the head of the banner this time around is Gensokyo of the Dead. Makes sense, given Halloween is less than a week from us. Apparently, the event will also reward you if you grind enough resources into it. Or at least if you are lucky enough to win the lottery...

qrtc8kn2rnv91.jpg?width=2063&format=pjpg

3g5t8kn2rnv91.jpg?width=2076&format=pjpg

5) Scarlet Devil Tower is receiving new content. Maybe this time we can get closer to how much JP does. My question is however - is any of this newly released content translated? Given all the promises we are going to get translations, it looks as if the team doing it works at the pace of a wheeled hamster having to supply electricity for entire building. And let's not talk about the story cards which still need translation from over half a year ago already...

vz4m4ln2rnv91.jpg?width=2068&format=pjpg

6) More characters are being moved to the General pool. Does this mean there is an even greater chance for the Festival category of friends to disappear? I was talking about this possible switch in categories for at least a few months already, yet it seems to be slowly happening, at least in the case of L1 Gensokyo characters. FES would disappear or only be used for the retro units, UFES would become the new FES, Epic FES would become as common as the former UFES units, and Relic... well, it's Relic, it does whatever the hell it wants.

2qphfro2rnv91.jpg?width=2070&format=pjpg

7) Time for Touhou LW to feel proud about participating at the Autumn Reitaisai back during the weekend (hey, at least I think we got like 15 SCs out of that ordeal):

fky07kn2rnv91.jpg?width=2070&format=pjpg

8) Finally, we can sip grinding for the Mirrors and just get the results. If only we could get the same for story cards too. The multi-skip should have also been the way of doing regular farming, not waste hours in auto battles. Like the way you do the errands, but instead it farms resources and cards. So no more having your phone locked for hours in auto-play battles.

8szmjkn2rnv91.jpg?width=2070&format=pjpg

9) I guess Touhou LW is getting a manga of its own. Well, if we can't get an anime like Genshin does, at least that. However, I see the creators are not too subtle when it comes to the message even if we are to talk just about these 4 panels:

qqu41nn2rnv91.jpg?width=2067&format=pjpg

10) This Ultra FES thing is coming back. I think we had it at least once more in the past.

1wm75ln2rnv91.jpg?width=2076&format=pjpg

11) Everybody Wins (yay). Some GCs ae always good, and a chance for Fumo is a chance for a Fumo. Oh wait, these are the big ones. Well, at least the Seal and God Crystals will be a good addition...

pr3rdkn2rnv91.jpg?width=2074&format=pjpg

12) There is also some news regarding the EFES unit. If we are to judge from this, apparently we are back to getting 100 free prayers, after we though that feature was removed for good:

3de4lro2rnv91.jpg?width=2080&format=pjpg

13) And after praising the devs for something slightly not so bad, here comes the bad part, Another EX stage, quite likely tailored for a new EPIC/ULTRA unit to make it easier. The reward id this story card I am not too sure how good it is, The only thing I know is that this is the first time I am familiar with the artist, Suzuka Kyouka - or the way I know her better, the creator of the "Touhou Drip Month" (each day of March 2021 had a Touhou girl dressed in some cool street clothes I could only describe as "drip" at the time):

wm5wgrn2rnv91.jpg?width=2067&format=pjpg

5yg9eyo2rnv91.jpg?width=2076&format=pjpg

14) Just for a login bonus, Global 1.5 Anniversary is providing 36 SCs to collect through 5 days:

bjvzayo2rnv91.jpg?width=2067&format=pjpg

With that, we are closing the Global section, and now are moving the focus to the JP area:

1) Just one day after Danmaku Kagura officially died, the following announced dropped on r/touhou_lostword: the announced new game mode, “Reimu’s Great Exorcism”, will be a rhythm mini-game. The reactions to this announcement have been varied. While some consider it to be a new way to keep people playing and are hyped about it, others see it as a spit on the grave of DanKagu, especially given the moment it was announced and some of the visuals/interface elements:

7wtc4iavw4w91.jpg?width=2067&format=pjpg

m8v44pbvw4w91.jpg?width=2088&format=pjpg

c3857havw4w91.jpg?width=2080&format=pjpg

xmd31pbvw4w91.jpg?width=2082&format=pjpg

2) Just as Isaac pointed out, there is a new batch of costumes announced for LW Japan, which will come at some point in the future. From the looks of it, they are all cooking-related. I really like the Eiki one, even if it took me a bit to realize it is her dressed like that (I guess the red clothes - red hair combination made me first think of Yuuka, given that Eiki is more quickly associated with her blue and black (or back and whit if you want to take it in accordance to the theme)

6cyb0jx3w4w91.jpg

3) The Prismriver sisters are finally getting their Fantasy Rebirth outfits. They look quite cute, I will not lie.

9wuo33ots4w91.jpg

4) Time for JP to deal with another Relic unit. This time, it is a Mokou, from a music video I am not sure if it was already released or not (I am really not keeping track of all the official Touhou LW music videos)

u7t6v5q9r4w91.jpg

5) Yet another Mokou alt. Now we can no longer make jokes about Shion being "Blue Mokou", because HOLY MOTHER OF SEAL CUBES there is an actual Blue Mokou. The Paripi Koumei style (are we now starting to milk other IPs... I mean inspire from other IPs in terms of what glorified skins unit alts to make?) Tewi is actually interesting though (I am still not for EFES units, but I like the outfit itself). Anyway. More units we barely have story for because there hasn't been new main story in what feels like months! Coming November 7th.

xnvxjxo1r4w91.jpg

6) HOLY MOTHER OF SEAL CUBES x2, they are actually here. Well, they were inevitable, but still. Why in the world are we getting these? They could have very well be skins, but the game decided ever since Summer Yukari to make them separate units, and of an actual different tier of rarity with not chance for pity. Anyway, Summer Reimu and Marisa, everyone:

lobker73q4w91.jpg?width=2059&format=pjpg

lz67rp73q4w91.jpg?width=2059&format=pjpg

Mostly memes this week. There are a couple that really caught my attention:

They have even introduced some puns into the voice lines for Tenkyuu herself...

Instead of just the image, I have inserted the whole thread. Why? Because the titles perfectly tied into the images themselves.

Closing thoughts

We failed, DanKagu is no more. I am sorry to end this up on a sad note. Not too much to say today otherwise.

fucked up the keyboards and accidentally released the unfinished script
  • Like 4

spacer.png

I hope there will be some opportunities to have epic dolls in order to limit break Epic Friends (as for my tropical Hecatia who is stuck on level 70 for 2 months now ^^)

I’ve noticed that the omikuji (those little paper in the animal shaped fortune cookies around Kagerou) are based on the ones ZUN made for some event.

DD0AD8DB-7D2A-4B75-933C-416ECA24B1AF.thumb.webp.f619443f5c97751364c4694cfcf14378.webp706E9DCA-6B86-4F55-ABA6-E72904071317.thumb.jpeg.1fa85af411bb5a561a3804be4bff5eb8.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/26/2022 at 6:04 PM, CountVonNumenor said:

Closing thoughts

We failed, DanKagu is no more. I am sorry to end this up on a sad note. Not too much to say today otherwise.

I have to apologize for yet another mistake. Through the thread, I have wrongly announced the EoS for DanKagu to be October 25th. However, it seems like it is actually October 27th, which is today (or whatever is left of today, since it is Thursday, 27th October 2022, 23:21 when I am writing this). Therefore, the game had a couple more days to live before the shutdown. I guess the final thing we could do is enjoy the final hours of the game, and not be sad because it is over, but be happy it even happened:

On 10/26/2022 at 7:43 PM, Nekofire said:

I’ve noticed that the omikuji (those little paper in the animal shaped fortune cookies around Kagerou) are based on the ones ZUN made for some event.

Huh, I have seen that Omikuji in the past. I think they are counted by the wiki in the "Miscellaneous ZUN drawings" article. The descriptions for each are actually very cool. I guess it is a neat detail on the side of the artist who decided to integrate them into the game.

BONUS: apparently, ZUN drank a lot of beer though the JP Dev Letter livestream

unknown.png

• Like 1

spacer.png

Danmaku Kagura's service has now officially ended. Despite being another touhou gacha, I love all the illustrations and songs they managed to include in the game! There was a surprise announcement at the end of the farewell livestream too!

Screenshot_20221028-122532_YouTube.thumb.jpg.a4d63fa43ee8fa10bf3ca1da29f807dd.jpg

Phantasia Lost is a continuation of Danmaku Kagura and it's arriving on steam in 2023! I hope they'll be able to include most of the content from the main game to this new version.

Screenshot_20221028-122348_YouTube.thumb.jpg.82ac9ddcfd9e6e4d1f15cb09ac106921.jpg

Lastly, it was really nice to see all of the players being credited at the very end : )

• Like 2

I mean, the "gacha" aspect was never really a requirement for the game. It was just the rhythm game section that was the main focus.

I honestly wish I had a chance to play more of Kagura. I grabbed the game but my tablet can't run it smoothly (which is, you know, important for rhythm games).

I'm glad that it's going to release on Steam, but I think it's going to depend on the crowdfunding (they are aiming for 15M Yen. https://camp-fire.jp/projects/623672/preview?token=1lrvoehb). 

The crowdfunding nor steam page never mentions any form of gacha, so there is a chance this game might not be free, or it will be but a chunk of songs will be locked behind a paywall.

Either way, thank god the project is not dead.

• Like 2

It's been almost a week since I last delivered the news roundup:

News and updates

Maintenance is coming in a matter of hours on LW Global. Among the main things we are going to get are the EX stages of current Halloween event, as well as some new units among which Kagerou and Wakasagihime:

Community discussions and memes

It looks like the Scarlet Talk is back. This time, Remi and Patchy are up to talking about the wonders of... Discord. Or maybe should I call it shenanigans?

mpj60h9rn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

ljwb36lrn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

brr62gyrn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

ph3tm9csn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

ikxym2qsn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

wgh1wa4tn2x91.jpg?width=3464&format=pjpg

lsihsbetn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

cgvxjtxtn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

isdku6jun2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

cqnfiqyun2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

tmfp74gvn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

idu4ipvvn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

53prdn8wn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

l5icllpwn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

pbuysv7xn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

pyk833qxn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

x12omj8yn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

gak0wsqyn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

cguagthzn2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

9igc7xq0o2x91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

The two of them were so gentle they even gave us some of the deleted content that did not make it into Scarlet Talk #6:

3fehjmixxax91.jpg

Like always, you can find our colleagues from Scarlet Talk here:

Closing thoughts

On 10/28/2022 at 2:48 PM, Isaac said:

Danmaku Kagura's service has now officially ended. Despite being another touhou gacha, I love all the illustrations and songs they managed to include in the game! There was a surprise announcement at the end of the farewell livestream too!

It is wonderful to know DanKagu will stay alive, even if in a new form. Let's hope this one will actually have a longer life, and will reach a larger audience. I think making it a 1-time purchase game might have been the solution from the very beginning. And I guess using the same model as for Spell Bubble. Unless the new DanKagu will also get into the idea of paid DLCs for new content and song packs (god, I miss the days when downloadable content for games you bought was actually free, and only full-on expansions for games were to be paid for)...

• Like 2

spacer.png

Probably some more news roundup:

News and updates

There will be a new Dev Letter coming to Global in the following days. Apparently, some big stuff has been announced for the international version of the game:

We have confirmation for the following two banners on JP. They will be Blue Mokou and Paripi Koumei Tewi:

m2f93j2hl3y91.jpg?width=984&format=pjpg&

x53t9i2hl3y91.jpg?width=984&format=pjpg&

Just a meme video this time...

News roundup will most likely return following the Dev Letter on the 11th November

• Like 1

spacer.png

De Letter dropped earlier than expected. Therefore, here is a summary of what was talked about (besides Caroline looking to present her "happy news"):

News and updated

A lof of new content coming up on Global through November:

Now, let's get into detail. Just like last time, I will split it into characters and then events. 

rgwye0csumy91.jpg?width=1977&format=pjpg

3h17p0csumy91.jpg?width=2017&format=pjpg

Beach Reimu is coming on the 11th November, followed by Beach Marisa on the 18th. Both of them are Epic Fes units. However, the difference this time is the following: units can be sparked after 400 prayers (2000 SCs), and you can pity them only once. As far as we are aware, this feature is exclusive for the Global version of LostWord. 

pc4121csumy91.jpg?width=1994&format=pjpg

On the 25th November, we are also getting MV Sakuya. I don't really have anything to say about her...

34jrv0csumy91.jpg?width=1959&format=pjpg

7hgj60csumy91.jpg?width=2029&format=pjpg

Wriggle and Eternity Larva are coming in late November - early December. For anyone interested to complete their Team 9, this will be your chance.

u11m60csumy91.jpg?width=1945&format=pjpg

s4ncz0csumy91.jpg?width=1962&format=pjpg

0an570csumy91.jpg?width=1996&format=pjpg

And with the upcoming event (it looks like nurses 2, electric boogaloo and with Tengu), there are also new skins. There were people to notice this is the first skin Momiji gets since her introduction in the game. 

hb5ks0csumy91.jpg?width=2061&format=pjpg

Also new Fantasy Rebirth skins

Now, on to the events themselves...

0mqisnw1vmy91.jpg?width=2068&format=pjpg

ca2w9nw1vmy91.jpg?width=2074&format=pjpg

Like I have mentioned earlier, there are some changed when it comes to the Epic prayer. Pity is finally an option, only available on the Global version.

47qipmw1vmy91.jpg?width=2061&format=pjpg

More content coming for the Scarlet Devil Tower. Meanwhile, I have not gone any further but Floor 45...

i6ic6mw1vmy91.jpg?width=2078&format=pjpg

New mechanic will be added: Overdamage. I think the image explains it better than I ever could. 

qzzl5nw1vmy91.jpg?width=2072&format=pjpg

Story cards setup will be saved during Auto Replay. Wait, does that imply story cards were not counted until now?

bs7wenw1vmy91.jpg?width=2068&format=pjpg

We are about to see the debut of the LostWord manga. It may not be at the same level of Genshin Impact to receive its own studio anime, but at least it is more than nothing. I do have some slight curiosity to see how this will turn out. From the previous images presented, it seems like being either a 4koma style manga, or there are just 4 panels per page and there are multiple pages.

71x3anw1vmy91.jpg?width=2074&format=pjpg

New enemies added to the Hakugyoku Arena

30s206x1vmy91.jpg?width=2063&format=pjpg

Fantasy Rebirth 2.0 for more characters. I wonder when will the next batch get those extra buffs, and if they will be actually useful or just a waste of resources for barely any extra effects...

s0dy7pw1vmy91.jpg?width=2063&format=pjpg

ubekknw1vmy91.jpg?width=2063&format=pjpg

jx2qc6x1vmy91.jpg?width=2067&format=pjpg

sq81q4x1vmy91.jpg?width=2072&format=pjpg

New Story Cards coming from the Epic and Relic Fes prayers and from another CBT session EX stage grind. I think the first two will be added into the pool at some point in the future, so I don't think there is an urge to get them right now.

vxnkj5x1vmy91.jpg?width=2068&format=pjpg

ukh9h5x1vmy91.jpg?width=2072&format=pjpg

h7cu76x1vmy91.jpg?width=2070&format=pjpg

Since we are in anniversary period, prayers and banners can't be missing. From UFES to Retro and Forever Prayer, there in anything for everyone in the upcoming month.

uxahlow1vmy91.jpg?width=2074&format=pjpg

Hey, one more excuse not to spend Seal Crystals for 15 days. Seems like a good chance to gather more resources for whatever else may require them.

9ktfm5x1vmy91.jpg?width=2070&format=pjpg

On the 26th October, I was talking about the announcement of the new rhythm mini-game. Just before the Dev Letter, I was telling @sodaodaoda there is a high chance for the stream to also mention this new feature, and it seems like I was right. All we can do no is hope it will be good.

wqua97x1vmy91.jpg?width=2065&format=pjpg

On a more miscellaneous note, ZUN decided to work even more with the developers of the game. This time, I guess a campaign in which people have the chance to win some merch with the signature of our favorite beer-loving creator (and totally not god) ZUN.

jqvs07x1vmy91.jpg?width=2068&format=pjpg

Overall, here is the timeline for all the things to be added in the following month

Actually quite a bit this time around:

7a4kukk1foy91.jpg

Remi and Patchy are back to presenting the news, a tiny bit more energetic then before. If you want to see more of them, do not worry, there's more to come. For some context: "Caroline being so happy but literally most of the chat during the stream was not happy while the Epic FES characters were being shown lmao. If you watched the latest dev letter, Caroline presented HAPPY Videos and those are the beach Epics and stuff"

odilq59roqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

sv9k9giroqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

dtlvptrroqy91.png?width=3464&format=png&

4ucish5soqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

e6sbd9bsoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

3r8ccsisoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

4zmxabtsoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

ss4dgxysoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

4xyhlz4toqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

yqlouwatoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

7vynqehtoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

mb69j1qtoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

6bb8gjztoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

d22v3y8uoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

dhue3zhuoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

gz2axhpuoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

l237m4wuoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

ge3aei4voqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

lx7johcvoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

gf5m64hvoqy91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

Again, Scarlet Talk is a creation of Kakashi Spirit News and can be found here 

People are talking whether Touhou LW is a fitting game for a gacha player to get into. From the looks of the thread, it seems as if the original post is not familiar with the Touhou franchise, which seems to create them confusion especially in regards to the very large cast 

This animation has been running around on YouTube for a while, especially since it was brought from bilibili to the English speaking world by Moriya Salesman. From the looks of it, even as a non-affiliated product, might have come in the early days before or just after the release of LostWord:

And last, but not least, a meme depicting the Dev Letter aftermath (RIP those who invested in White Koishi and Small Satori):

7y32d4qqfoy91.jpg?width=1920&format=pjpg

• Like 2

spacer.png

• CountVonNumenor changed the title to Do Touhou and gacha work together? (2022 - Touhou LostWord, Danmaku Kagura - closed/going to be revived, Arcadia Record)