Do Touhou and gacha work together? (2022 - Touhou LostWord, Danmaku Kagura - closed/going to be revived, Arcadia Record)

CountVonNumenor

2 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

Last and not least, I have asked a question in regards to how has this game managed to survive for so long. To be fair, I am not very sure myself. Especially given the relatively low production level and budged compared to the other Touhou games that dies out. It seems though that this one, despite feeling lackluster, actually managed to gain enough money in order to survive not only 2 years, but also expand to global level, while both Cannonball and DanKagu died in their JP phase (despite being games highly regarded by the player base, especially in the case of DanKagu, which really seemed to have had a lot of love put into it by creators). Anyway, an interesting thing I have found thanks to Discord is a (unofficial) chart about the financial gains of the game since the beginning of the year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-GeOwwWrqTREmwB-wEmcnVB01uOA1nOWh9c4sVpBP2M/edit#gid=0 

unknown.png

I could say that by using cheap jpg and putting most of fan work like story cards and music ost can save alot of money from the live 2d and actual dedication in VA for the characters, too much money put in and low profits will just left the game died, and too little money put in and release character to keep the income stable will be able to lead the game to long term survival. Also Marisa icon, that is the main reasons.
Also do any of you have problem with s1 and s3 of Yukari sometimes just unlock 1 bind of 1 character, not entire party?

• Like 1

GUYS, HOLY SHIT, GREAT NEWS FOR ME!!!
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/559669489151508492/1012260387539931146/Screenshot_20220825-092035_Touhou_LostWord.jpg

I FINALLY FUCKING GOT HER!! JESUS CHRIST

I actually feel so dead yet so happy that I finally have her... Why, you may ask? Well.....
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/559669489151508492/1012261309309526096/Screenshot_20220825-092047_Touhou_LostWord.jpg

I think that the exchange points counter gives an answer to that xd
I'll probably spark for another Alice, to use in farming, hehe >:3

Also, if you find my ramblings about what I got annoying, please tell me. I post these just because I'm happy that I got someone I like, rather than to brag.

PCB Ran is next, unfortunately, I probably won't get her. I'll most likely skip a few banners.

• Like 2

Number 1 Alice, Meiling and Youmu fan! jaooooooooo

3 hours ago, sodaodaoda said:

Also, if you find my ramblings about what I got annoying, please tell me. I post these just because I'm happy that I got someone I like, rather than to brag.

Oh, do not worry. this is absolutely welcome. It is actually nice when I get to see someone else rambling, and it is not just me writing walls of text. This the same for everyone else too. Write as much as you wish, and do not shy away from long texts or rambling. I tend to do that all the time.

Also congrats for getting Alice.

P.S: due to the way pages work, the roundup ended up coming on the previous page, which it uncomfortable if anyone wants to comment on that  and stay up to date with the discussions over here on the next page. 

Edited by CountVonNumenor
  • Like 2

spacer.png

4 hours ago, sodaodaoda said:

GUYS, HOLY SHIT, GREAT NEWS FOR ME!!!
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/559669489151508492/1012260387539931146/Screenshot_20220825-092035_Touhou_LostWord.jpg

I FINALLY FUCKING GOT HER!! JESUS CHRIST

I actually feel so dead yet so happy that I finally have her... Why, you may ask? Well.....
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/559669489151508492/1012261309309526096/Screenshot_20220825-092047_Touhou_LostWord.jpg

I think that the exchange points counter gives an answer to that xd
I'll probably spark for another Alice, to use in farming, hehe >:3

PCB Ran is next, unfortunately, I probably won't get her. I'll most likely skip a few banners.

Congrats on having Alice now Soda! Don't worry about rambling as well, I think all of us should start posting more moments like this. Anything to help brighten our mood on the game is nice, just like how Count shared that Raiko interaction from the events!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 3:46 AM, smortkoishi said:

Also do any of you have problem with s1 and s3 of Yukari sometimes just unlock 1 bind of 1 character, not entire party?

If you mean about a gimmick in Chapter 4, unfortunately I cannot help. I have not played it yet, and I do not feel any incentive to play it either. At least not for now. 

• Sad 1

spacer.png

I actually finished chapter 4 at around 12am today, since I couldn't sleep (lol)
Honestly, I find it pretty neat, I have a feeling we are approaching some sort of "end" tho, if that makes sense. I've always liked the story in TLW (ignore the middle of ch3 and beginning of interlude tho)

Stages are pretty damn complicated tho, not gonna lie.
I've read some theories that the main "source" of the Lost Word incident is Rin Satsuki, I doubt that is the case, but if it is, that'd be so fucking cool.
I also got the idea that it may be Mima, but I doubt that as well.
We'll see what happens.

• Like 2

New update is coming for JP.
What's going to be added:

Spoiler

Fantasy Rebirth costumes for Yuyuko and Suwako.
New event costumes for Nue, Nazrin and Shou.
New MV, this time for Koishi.

And the absolute worst thing in this update: New EFes.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/705276035612278904/1013818931296866374/unknown.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sodaodaoda said:

New update is coming for JP.
What's going to be added:

Beat me by 10 minutes. I should have come earlier (yesterday) with the roundup, but I only got back home at like 1:30 AM (1 hour has passes since). Anyway, news roundup:

News and updates

Just like sodaodaoda noted, there is a new EFES coming on JP. Buckle up, because this time it will be... 

Expect one more EFES unit of this kind, because why not have 1 redhead Hecatia and 2 alts. Since I do not want to get so angry at this hour, or better said show my great disappointment, I will instead quote a few relevant comments on the topic:

• "Since C3 hag CQ is dropping with her, and L1 Reimu dropped with the hag, I'm gonna assume this is the new precedent, monthly Efes units along with CQ content tailored to them and exclusively them. Hecc is a debuff unit, so watch this have like multiple gauges with no barriers and you need her debuffs to brute force it or something. Either way, not looking forward to this coming to global next week, since we have a dev letter coincidentally the day this drops on JP."

• "The only good thing about LostWord at this point is it’s grinding feature, and imo, the recent release of the newest chapter, which is actually entertaining and attentive, other than that, LostWord is falling into your stereotypical gacha game that makes you P2W at this point. Shitty development is sending it down that path since global is trying way too hard to catch up with Japans release, character wise at least. We haven’t received a new reg or festival unit since Chapter 2 Act 2, all that’s been hitting is UFES and EFES. Yes it’s cool to see this Hecatia, but the amount of EFES releases are getting boring, GoodSmile and co. should treat UFES and EFES like limited 5 star units, in my opinion"

• Well, that's thoroughly disappointing, but not unexpected. At least maybe the moon one will be UFES so she covers three different banner types lol jk she's going to be an EFES, and so will everyone else from this chapter. Place your bets, how many weeks until she gets added for us? I say two.

For the time being (albeit a short one), Global is safe, because her JP release day coincides with the next Dev Letter for Global. But don't be amazed if the video will also announce a release of the character shortly after JP...

And now for something, completely different...
JP is getting a new set of costumes. This time, those costumes are for Shou, Nazrin and Nue. To me, it is not clear yet what event are they related to. Perhaps Detective Marisa part 2? Since many events seem to be getting a rehash/part after a while (the current Grand Prix event, which was supposed to come much later, is part 2 of Hina's Cheering Saga) 

Suwako and Yuyuko are getting their own Fantasy Rebirth

Community discussion and memes

Since I recently finished Interlude Finale, I had a series of questions.

• First of all, why did we get the story through which we end up meeting the guys in Gensokyo only AFTER 3 Chapters of hopping around alternate worlds? Basically, this is the timeline based on what I could gather until now:

Prologue: MC gets to Gensokyo, meets the protagonists and the more famous characters of Touhou 6, 7 and 8
Chapters 1-3: hopping around alternate worlds
Interlude: MC finally gets to meet the rest of the inhabitants of Gensokyo in a rather rushed sequence.
Events: all I can say is that every event seems to be taking place a long time after the campaign is over, as MC is already familiar to all inhabitants of L1 Gensokyo.
Hifuu: only god knows when is that taking place, or if MC from that story is the same one as in the main campaign.

My question now is, could we not have the story of Interlude (without the Blue Reimu and McDonald's Sanae shenanigans) just after the Prologue, therefore a nice occasion for both MC and many people who got into Touhou LW yet had no idea what Touhou is, to learn about the characters they will meet along the story?

• Secondly, the whole finale of that chapter was weird. As far as we know, it seems to have been a few days at most since MC landed in Gensokyo. In all this time, she shared her time between staying at the Hakurei Shrine with Reimu and getting sucked into alternate worlds. However, when the time comes to choose, she decides to leave L1 Gensokyo with Blue Reimu and McDonald's Sanae despite barely having met the former during Chapter 3 an the latter being a completely new figure to her. Why did she even accept to leave in the first place, therefore abandoning the people she was already familiar to? Again, I have not started Chapter 4 yet, therefore I might be missing critical information. Besides, how did she even get back to the original Gensokyo in the first place to be part of all the events?

There was an interesting discussion on the topic, which sparked from the "Best Friend" line Parsee has: 

6dkh4n2axfk91.png

(image taken from this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou_lostword/comments/wztat9/well_thenparsee_touched_upon_my_head_cannon_i/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3)

Along with the image, a few good comments also came up. Here is what caught my attention:

• Well, think of yourself as Lossy. She woke up without any memories one day and in the same day she got thrown into another world where instead of of doing something tangible and nothing but being a key to journal and later on thrown into another world where once again she wasn't much of a help and had to be carried (I tell you, having people carry you while you do nothing weights a lot in mind) and after that into another world where fighting was rampant. After every fight or flight encounter and being the one who needed to be protected, and even after all three different world "adventures" she still got hugged and patted by many Gensokyo residents and almost drowning (it throws the mind into disarray) and seeing sages of Gensokyo coming to her. She is a child, this much happening in such a short time can throw someone into some extreme emotions. Kindness is a virtue but if you feel undeserving of it, it can become a punishment instead. I mean, when you're pretty much being the key to a journal, it does weigh a lot. She is like Gordon Freeman, experienced so much in such a short amount of time.

• I was thinking again and I realize this would explain why she sided with Blue Reimu against her friends in the end of the interlude. It wasn't just to advance the plot. Blue Reimu managed to convince her she's useful to them and, given her implied low self-esteem, Lossy would do anything to make herself useful. In a world where everyone is special, the only thing that makes her special is not even hers in first place, so she will jump at the opportunity to be useful, even if it's an antagonist. That's an actual flaw of her - Blue Reimu was arrogant, but not malicious, but imagine if a more intelligent and malicious antagonist appeared and would try to feed her with doubt ("Look at them, they don't need you", "This place has existed without you and will continue to", "The moment they find another way to solve the incident, you'll be discarded"), and that would make Lossy work according to this antagonist's intent. Of course, if it happens, it's likely it won't end well the moment this antagonist is discovered. Yukari was willing to put Blue Reimu in a world of pain if she had hurt Lossy. Reimu would probably just straight murder them if nobody holds her back. And given the tone of the writing so far, I don't think the writers will do that, but at one point Lossy will have to face her flaw.

Meanwhile, I am looking for another thread that was a criticism towards the writing of Interlude Finale, particularly MC's decision to leave L1 Gensokyo abut it seems like I cannot find it. I will come back on the topic once I find it again. 

Another interesting situation, albeit from an older thread, is the following:

Spoiler

Did anyone compile a list of canon information for the protagonist?
(It is pretty long so if you just want to share anything you can skip through it)

Currently, based on canon information, I only know that the protagonist (now referred to as Lossy) is small, young, likeable, and kind. She also seems easily flustered and shy (inferred from when Sakuya carried her in the Scarlet Devil Tower main story, stammering such as "H-Hello", and rarely talking) (Edit: Lossy may just have a crush on Sakuya, since she did not get flustered when other people hugged her).

About her ability and journal, she seems to be able to summon copies of her friends through her journal, but how exactly is unclear (it was explained somewhat in the ending of Witch of Scarlet Dreams Special, but I was a bit confused). I am also confused on if and how the gacha plays into this.

About her past and identity, not much is known, but Blue Reimu seems to have known her. At the end of the WoSD Special, Yukari speculated that Lossy may have known the characters before in order to summon them from the journal. Lossy had a line that read "...It is the first time we've met, right?" at the beginning, so she may have had a deja vu feeling, implying that they did meet before, but all forgot about it. The journal is also a mystery, about who created it and why is it only linked to the protagonist. At the beginning, she got her journal from a separate Seal Crystal, and it was not with her. She was also unable to go to the outside world, but from events and details she seems to know things from the outside world.

What is known about her identity is that the Lossy and her journal is linked to the seal crystals and the Lost Words, and her journal is the only thing that seems to be unaffected by the Lost Word, since even though the journal already have the word in it, the Lost Word does not reappear without someone saying it. Lossy losing her memory and everyone else (aside from Blue Reimu) losing their possible memory of her seems like a Lost Word case.

My own theory about Lossy is that she was working to stop the Lost Word, possibly worked with Blue Reimu and Tiny Yukari, but was later targeted by it, causing everyone to lose their memories of her and her losing her own memories, possibly her own name. It might be possible that Lossy lost her own name, but we (as in the player) gave her a name of her own and stopped the Lost Word's influencing her even more (Witch of Scarlet Dreams was a title, more like a description and not a name, so it did not do anything). As for why Blue Reimu did not lost her memories, it might be because she had something to counter it, since her team had been working against the Lost Word for a while now. It might also be something like Lossy is later going to go back in time, creating the journal, sending her past self to Gensokyo, and working with Blue Reimu's team. (Edit: Going back in time is not necessary though, it could also just be her past self doing those things.)

Information is coming from the following thread https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou_lostword/comments/wqc4y8/did_anyone_compile_a_list_of_canon_information/

Last but not least, this expression made people discuss a bit about what it could be interpreted as:

sbia9lpmk5k91.png

Together with a different reupload of this image on r/touhou, it led to a weirdly hilarious situation, as exemplified below:

Screenshot_20220828_144057.jpg

The upload related to r/touhu_lostword however is the following 

Also rando thought at the end. If we are to ever get PC-98 characters, I am afraid they might be coming as EFES units. Imagine wanting Mima, Shinki or the PC-98 version of Yuuka, and having to deal with the EFES bullshit. From now on, we are in FES hell, as everything will be an EFES in terms of main story new characters.

• Like 2

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, CountVonNumenor said:

Meanwhile, I am looking for another thread that was a criticism towards the writing of Interlude Finale, particularly MC's decision to leave L1 Gensokyo abut it seems like I cannot find it. I will come back on the topic once I find it again. 

Edit: I actually managed to find it. And to make things even more interesting, it is an entire long text thing about the game as a whole too. Let's give it a read:

Between the music (some of which is near impossible to find these days due to the remixes used in LostWord being a few decades old.) and the Story Card artwork that's either "OH GOD GET IT OFF MY SCREEN!!!" or "... Huh, Neat." I fear Touhou LostWord may only have so long before it ends up being shut down.

Especially since the concept could've been done so much better than what the JP devs gave us.

The script for LostWord is just so bad... Like someone did a brief Google search on each character and their abilities but failed to actually play the games or read the Print Works and just when for one of those shoddily put together Fandom wikis instead. Sure there are funny moments in the script, but those are far and few in between dialog that makes me want to skip the "cutscene".

The recent update for Interlude: Finale is my prime source of hatred at the moment however. It just pisses me off that the MC (who may I remind all of you is suppose to represent US in place of who we actually are and what we actually think in such a situation) would rather be with two complete strangers who she's barely known for a full day, rather than staying with folks she's known for probably a few months. Logic 100 right there. We don't even get to choose our fate, the MC just stands there and assists P2 Reimu rather than doing the logical thing (which is ironic that I say that) and rush over to Reimu, Sanae and Marisa's side for safety or one of the three just grabs the MC and all four book it to somewhere else in Gensokyo. Glad to know the MC is still a cock-sucking dumbass if someone treats her nice.

Seriously, Gensokyo was in high alert for something that didn't exist and was having staged events happen, SO WHERE THE FUCK WAS YUKARI, RAN OR CHEN DURING THE WHOLE ORDEAL!? I get the whole point of Interlude was to have the MC introduced to everyone else we've seen through the various events that have been released, but there could've been a simpler, less rushed way other than having P2 Reimu pop into the L1 Gensokyo and pretending to be L1 Reimu and having the group go on a wild goose chase to figure out something that was staged to catch P2 Reimu and that freaky, unhinged version of Sanae.

Oh, and speaking of Yukari. PCB Yukari isn't actually from PCB, but rather IN due to the color palette matching up with her palette in IN which is only seen when she uses her Last Word in that game. Sure I get they wanted some way to distinguish the two from each other and the artwork in IN is technically from PCB but at a higher resolution with an alternate color palette, but I feel it would've been easier to base the artwork fully off of PCB rather than using an entirely different game as the source.

[from a different comment - Wait, what happened in the Finale?]

Basically, and spoilers by the way, MC decides that being with P2 Reimu and FUBAR Sanae (who poorly disguised herself and also never stops being a freak like what we saw at the end of Interlude: Act 1) is better than the folks who have been helping her and guiding her through Gensokyo safely might I add. Also whoever has writing the story for Interlude: Finale really wanted the MC to know the characters she's seen in other worlds by rapid firing through nearly everyone in Gensokyo haphazardly. Couldn't wait for a proper moment or just have casual interludes of each chapter that have either no fights or very few fights. First two chapters were pretty good with decent writing, but then everything went downhill after Hifuu and Chapter 3 with plot points that put Neptunia Victory to shame with how forgettable they are.

Source: this older thread on r/touhou_lostword, also continued on r/gachagaming  

https://www.reddit.com/r/touhou_lostword/comments/wmkjrl/i_made_a_post_in_rgachagaming_about_the_recent/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

• Like 2

spacer.png

Well, I really an not feeling in the finest of moods (basically a combination of fear, dread, panic and lack of self confidence) right now due to an upcoming exam retake, so I might be missing for a while, or at least reflect my problems into the way I will address the current news roundup. Anyway, with 1 day delay, emergency news roundup:

News and updates

This week, we have had a Dev Letter revealing the latest, shiniest stuff going to come to Global. Oh boy... - "I can't with this shit, I just don't have the words anymore man, like this is unprecedented levels of plain stupid beyond what I can comprehend, both for Global and JP, like someone explain to me how this could possibly be healthy for the game?" (u/Kdog8273)

Anyway, overall information about the update can be found in here:

Now, let's go into a bit of detail, shall we...

oy3cn4fsfyk91.jpg?width=2065&format=pjpg

Dev Letter has decided to start the roundup with new Fantasy Rebirth costumes - Suwako and Yuyuko

jgd1ecgsfyk91.jpg?width=2074&format=pjpg

Along with them, Nitori, Daiyousei and Patchouli will receive the Fantasy Rebirth 2.0 treatment? How useful will it be? Not very much, as it will more than likely barely make them any better? "2 times 0 is still 0". Since I do not know exactly what else to say, I will leave it in the hands of the users of r/touhou_lostword:

"In response to Phantasma's concern of people not rebirthing their units:

Give more meaningful buffs to characters. Daiyousei's ult is one of the worst ones in the game, yet they decide to make her a weird pseudo tank after she ults? What purpose does this serve? She can't do anything meaningful if she has no spellcards.

- So many older units are terrible because they lack breaks, have no utility, and have unfocused kits that are completely outclassed by almost every modern unit. Rebirths can let these older units be viable in some way. L1 Reisen's ult buff actually makes her do damage. Focus on that, not gimmicky or meaningless stuff like Daiyousei's rebirth buffs.
- Don't penalize farmers for rebirthing units. 14 SP cost is very high for one unit. This is the major reason I dont rebirth units unless they get significantly stronger for CQ. Maybe implement a system where you can choose specific rebirth units to have a lower SP cost."

"You can't suggest them anything related to SP costs, I did try to make that suggestion through discord and it will never go through cause their rules. I bought 2 rings with fortune dust, other 3 were free, I'm not planning to use fortune dust to buy more because glorified 14SP bricks with a wedding dress simply do not work.

1. I don't understand why after Rebirth the exp needed to bring our chars back to 100 is doubled instead of halved.
  2. Rings have a cost and right now two kind of dolls have more value than a nice jpg for a brick
  3. Rebirth 2.0, would be very fine if it only was about farming more mirrors and MAYBE use some coins to buff rebirthed units even more, but since it cost rare tiles and scrolls and since the drop rate of those mats it's now very null, you probably need around a month and an half to farm enough scrolls and tiles just to RE2.0 your 14SP brick, in the meanwhile in a month and an half I can brick around 2 retro units or a generic fes units which are more useful than L1 Marisa and L1 Reisen with RE 2.0.
  4. People it's bundled with waifus, I'm in Touhou cause Ran's dedication, Marisa and Aya freeloading attitude, Yuuka, Kokoro and Nue quirks, a certain Iku and Nue garage kit, Suika, Yuuka and Eiki songs and also MoF orchestra OST, Okuu and Orin cause, fuck it... M1 Grand Prix nonsense and other randomness that steered my attention towards this games which are made for no-braindead people (aka your average CoD, Siege or your generic modern console player). Too many waifus demand too many rings and my room it's filled with scale model kits and I still have my freedom of choice, so rebirth + rings it's a big no, so is a big no wasting SP, school slots, time and whatever to bring'em back to 100."

zbqj06fsfyk91.jpg?width=2068&format=pjpg

Alright, it looks like we are getting the third rerun of this event. Meanwhile, Tojiko and Raiko waiting for their own events to be released because we have skipped them:...

u8zf5dgsfyk91.jpg?width=2074&format=pjpg

7nbdocgsfyk91.jpg?width=2070&format=pjpg

It also looks like the beach hag is getting her own EX stage. How unexpected... At least the story card's art has strong yuri smell, not gonna lie.

tgbv5dgsfyk91.jpg?width=2076&format=pjpg

Since I have not completed Chapter 4 yet, it looks like I will actually have to go through it now. Just for the Epic Doll I will not use anyway...

4vtjd6fsfyk91.jpg?width=2063&format=pjpg

Also I guess 1 free prayer (minus the 1500 coins) for completing a game related survey. From what it looks like, the survey will open up tomorrow and will last for a few days, until...well, scratch that, it will last this whole month. The survey has also been mentioned in here 

o6l82afsfyk91.jpg?width=1997&format=pjpg

5sngcfgsfyk91.jpg?width=1963&format=pjpg  

Oh, we are also having the release of 2 general units. It was about time for them to give us something that is not a FES reskin/UFES/EFES/Relic FES 

m2v9vfgsfyk91.jpg?width=2005&format=pjpg

Let's not forget Summer Hecatia is also coming. This time, she is not coming with the free 140 prayers we got when Blue Reimu and Summer Yukari made their debut.

fxikj5fsfyk91.jpg?width=2014&format=pjpg

And finally, new costumes, The only one that really caught my attention was the one for Eirin. Finally, she got something that is not...whatever the Christmas outfit was, This one is really fitting actually. Funny how we are getting the nurse outfits, given there is no sign for that event actually coming, and that we even skipped it long ago (that was supposed to be the event that would mark the debut of Tojiko)

Community discussion and memes

The colleagues from Scarlet Talk have decided to present the latest update their own way. At least this mad the day slightly better:

4wa929k0w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

d2imxfq0w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

v17r8rs0w0l91.jpg?width=3464&format=pjpg

dldvopv0w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

fqoly8y0w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

zj9x5d11w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

qgh6nt41w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

4jgjxi71w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

wtq6x6a1w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

leubz1d1w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

bxov8tf1w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

7i3gl7i1w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

judwbnk1w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

0qpidbn1w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

wujh3yp1w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

b16t4ps1w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

a0lthiv1w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

6jljiby1w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

xle9s312w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

ygr3ol32w0l91.jpg?width=1680&format=pjpg

You can always find Remi and Patchy presenting the news their own way right here 

Closing thoughts (new category)

I would have written a long text here, but again, I think there are a few comments that, if put together, perfectly transmit the way I am feeling about this game right now:

And there's the reason I started to slow down with/almost drop LostWord. The fucking EFes being dropped into the game every few months or so that have abysmal drop rates and the useless Fantasy Rebirths that should be ashamed to even be called such things.

Between some Story Cards being locked behind paywalls (i.e. practically needing EFes due to the elements they have for the Elemental EX which you might as well be paying for) and the drop rates for any of the Story Cards on Hard/Lunatic, I stopped caring about Touhou LostWord and just kinda forgo about booting up the app whenever errands are finished. Doesn't help that there's still the endless black screens that show up from time-to-time be it trying to boot up the game itself or heading into the school in some capacity.

I haven't even touched the Scarlet Devil Tower since that one update that lowered a few stats for the early floors and even then I didn't touch it after beating a few floors when it first released. The game is just that boring. It was fun at first but with the flip-flopping between updating the story and the constant events happening it stopped being fun and start looking like a wasted promise.

Even the concepts in the game are wasted and stop being cute and start to feel creepy. The Fantasy Rebirths were cute at first, but once it was confirmed that the MC is basically a child thanks to several events scattered throughout the main story, SDT and even the weekly/monthly events (minus Hifuu which seems to take place in an alternate universe) it started to feel weird trying to gather tons of Mirrors just for a literal wedding costume, being booted back to level 1 for the character being rebirthed and some useless stat boosts.

Like they look cute, don't get me wrong. And some characters probably would enjoy wearing such outfits. But canonically most of the characters that have Rebirth costumes could care less about getting married with a human. (Especially a child.) Most of them are youkai after all, they would probably be focused more on trying to either guide us to safety or trying to scare/eat/kill us. (Even youkai have morals and standards, may not be much depending on the youkai but it's there.) The only benefit some characters would have is Reimu getting tons of money or Marisa getting a free chance to steal more depending on the character rebirthed.

Mokou's confuses the everliving daylights out of me. Rather than making it a suit (something that would have pants, something she would be familiar with fighting in), they made it a dress like everyone else. The only ones that don't wear wedding outfits are:

• Reimu (not even sure what the outfit is based off of). [CVN's note: it is a a traditional Japanese wedding dress called shiromuku]
  • Reisen (a clichéd military outfit).
  • Kasen (don't recognize the outfit design).
  • Nitori (a white version of her normal outfit with more advanced machinery and no backpack in the art itself).
  • Youmu (a kimono... yay?).
  • Patchouli (an actual mage outfit complete with staff).
  • Alice (something that looks like it came from the PC98 era or even Alice in Wonderland itself, fitting given the character).
  • Meiling (a more fancy version of her usual outfit without her iconic hat).
  • Sakuya (looks like she's going out for a night on the town if Gensokyo had one).
  • Ran (not sure what the outfit is based off of).
  • Chen (a shrine/shrine maiden outfit).
  • And Kaguya (a strange futuristic princess-like outfit).

Most of the other outfits are either literal wedding dresses or what might as well be the flower girl/ring bearer. They could've done something spectacular with the Rebirth outfits, but instead they just went the lazy route and just made them mostly wedding outfits with the characters listed being the only ones to go against the norm and have outfits that don't typically fit a wedding and look more like something that would be an event costume of some kind. (Which eventually became the case as depending on the event some Rebirth Costumes can be used to gain more Event Points.) Also looking at Kasen's rebirth outfit has me laughing, the dragon and tiger look extremely durpy while the eagle looks either pissed or scared shitless for what might be coming at it.

But regardless, there's a myriad of reasons why Touhou LostWord is starting to dwindle in popularity. One of them is definitely the repetitive gameplay.

It's just unbalanced. You're stuck with a limited selection of resources while the enemy gets an unlimited selection of resources. You permanently lose a Spell Card or Last Word meanwhile the enemy can use as many Spell Cards or Last Words as they please which can and will result in your defeat if you don't plan properly or don't have the resources necessary to beat them.

The meta also doesn't help matters. Like I said before, a lot of popular/useful Story Cards are either locked behind events or Lunatic battles in the Story mode. Witch of Scarlet Dreams for example, is only obtainable through the final battle of chapter 2 and has a notoriously low drop rate like all 5 ⭐ Story Cards. You have to do so many battles just to get a single one of those Story Cards. Also not helping it's case is the fact you need to spend thousands of God Crystals to increase the Story Card inventory to a reasonable amount before having to do it all over again thanks to the max prayers usually giving ten Story Cards at a time which can pile up really quick. So if you want the best Story Cards you need to spill an endless see of blood just to get the best cards and have a shitton of money to increase your Story Card inventory.

This whole situation could've been avoided had they not made the default drop rate of God Crystals abysmal for errands. Because unlike Seal Crystals which have multiple ways of being obtained, God Crystals can only be obtained through either Errands or the occasional Everyone Wins Champaign without paying for them.

Speaking of God Crystals and going back to talking about costumes, I really dislike the fact you have to pay with God Crystals instead of with something like Coins or Event Points depending on the costume. These aren't alternate characters for fuck's sake, they're quite literally just alternate outfits. If you really insist on making us pay God Crystals for more fancy PNGs to look at than at least make them cheap. Not like to voice changes depending on the costume anyway. (Greedy pieces of shit.)

Why is GL so insistent in pumping out the next big character? JP’s at fault making these unsparkable EFes characters and GL’s at fault in trying to keep up. They really need to just slow down for their own good. Ugh, at least there’s a step-up (though I kinda liked the free summons before ngl). Also, skipping both Raiko and Sumireko yet again and not releasing Tojiko or her costume alongside the other event costumes is sorta criminal. But, at least we got more General pool units so eh. The JP team. They don't care if Global's release schedule is cohesive, has meaningful continuity, or is fair, providing it's meeting profit targets. JP is the "main" version, and they will switch Global servers off like a light if it stops making enough money. 

It's enough to question how anyone would invest money into gacha games, given how abruptly they can just shut them down due to the devs' own greed and poor decision making. LW has been spiralling in that direction for a while and is rapidly getting worse. I've spent a bit of money on the game (only on cheap packs/Nitori's delivery mind you) [not me, CVN, but the original person who posted the comment] but as it stands I'm not confident enough in the game's health to invest in it right now; and if enough people share that concern EoS becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Good luck with the exam Count! Thanks for sharing that scarlet spirit talk as well, the style is really cute!

I'll share some thoughts now. I'm very happy that Kisume is here and that the SA cast is finally completed, which is my favourite one! It's nice to see Kyouko too and Tojiko is the only character left now from the TD cast. I also like the fantasy rebirths for Yuyuko and Suwako. However, I agree that they could've done more with all of the characters.

I still feel the same way on the state of lostword. Trying to catch up to jp has been a nightmare for character releases. It's obvious how much they want to focus on the Epic and Ufes, with all the reminders and promotions. It makes everything worse when there's also the balance issues, inconsistent event planning and the incentives to buy god crystals.

Honestly, I'm not sure about continuing once the year is over. We'll probably have the missing characters by then, so there wouldn't be much to look forward to afterwards. I'll be happy enough with Tojiko, Raiko and Sumireko being included, then take a break. I'd still make sure to check the news and talk with you guys though.

Edited by Isaac
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

Well, I really an not feeling in the finest of moods (basically a combination of fear, dread, panic and lack of self confidence) right now due to an upcoming exam retake, so I might be missing for a while, or at least reflect my problems into the way I will address the current news roundup. Anyway, with 1 day delay, emergency news roundup:

Good luck with the exams! I'm sure you will do great, take it easy!

Tbh, Hecatia looks really pretty, even though you know... It has a bit of fan service.. (especially the belly xd)
Also

image.png.690022ac9d3895142da55b529bffd1ae.png

The costumes are nice too, I like Eirin the most. And I'm glad we're getting more gen units.

And yeah, I agree with the fact that the game is getting super boring now... I'd stop playing but I'm so scared on missing out on stuff. I already missed a lot of stuff from July 2021 to Feb 2022. The units are coming way too fast and it's a mess. I'll write something on the suggestion thingy.

• Like 2

On a more positive note, I'm really enjoying the current grand prix event. I love all the interactions between the characters, especially with Parsee and Yuugi! There's something I want to share too!

1284599954_Screenshot_20220903-015515_TouhouLostWord.thumb.jpg.dce19347be061947809ff95fc6bbeb88.jpg

1253495509_Screenshot_20220903-015658_TouhouLostWord.thumb.jpg.285da9a57f1b9cd5c777e7ff0a156a3c.jpg

The expressions Parsee has with her costume are so adorable! I can't get over how unbelievable cute she's been throughout this entire event! God I love her so much! 💚 

• Like 2

Quick news roundup before anything new happens:

News and updates

JP has two new units that will be features as banner. This time, it will be Chimata and Mike. Knowing from the way Misumaru and Takane were released on Global not very long after JP, then we can expect them on Global soon enough. To me, that is fine, as I was really looking to get Tenkyuu. For some reason, it looks like the two will be separate banners though instead of coming together. If I understood correctly, Mike will most likely be the GEN unit, while Tenkyuu will be the FES

tp0678r8e7m91.jpg?width=984&format=pjpg&

enbqh8r8e7m91.jpg?width=984&format=pjpg&

Meanwhile, it looks like Global will receive the SA retro version of Satori instead 

• Like 2

spacer.png

Another quick news roundup, given that maintenance starts in a matter of hours:

News and updates

Not too much besides the maintenance summary, to be honest. Epic Prayer continues, we are getting Fantasy Rebirth for Yuyuko and Suwako, new Scarlet Devil Tower content, retro SA Satori banner and 2nd rerun (third time overall) of Phantom-Human Maid for a Day (get ready to experience again all the Meiling abuse).

Community discussions and memes

Again, no big discussions going on these days. Instead, I will skip to the memes.

nzs3akv4y3i81.png

Old discussion, but it is dubious how much Space/Hifuu Yorihime resembles the Yorihime design from KKHTA

unknown-12.png

Not necessarily about Touhou LostWord, but still in the realms of gacha games. One day, we might even happen to have this discussion about LostWord itself...

• Like 3

spacer.png

Finally, two characters we've been waiting for are arriving in global now!

Really happy to see Raiko and Sumireko! They may have been way overdue, but it's satisfying and a relief to know that we can play as them now! We can have their cool costumes too!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

Finally, two characters we've been waiting for are arriving in global now!

Really happy to see Raiko and Sumireko! They may have been way overdue, but it's satisfying and a relief to know that we can play as them now! We can have their cool costumes too!

Holy shit they are extremely overdue (like about a year of you give listen to the guys from the subreddit community), but now I think I can finally die peacefully*. Also does this mean we are getting the Horismriver March event next? We did skip that one, even if it was supposed to come long ago

* unless I am gonna wait for Chimata too

• Like 2

spacer.png

"* A new event is coming - Capsule-Crazy Gensokyo! This event has two parts, and Extra will start on 9/27. It also comes with a banner that returns Festival Friend Seija Kijin, and debuts everyone's favorite thunder drummer, Raiko Horikawa, as well as everyone's favorite outside-world esper, Sumireko Usami! An Ascending Step-UP option is also available."

What's this event? Is that one of the events we skipped?

• Like 1

• CountVonNumenor changed the title to Do Touhou and gacha work together? (2022 - Touhou LostWord, Danmaku Kagura - closed/going to be revived, Arcadia Record)