Tall or short Eiki?

CountVonNumenor

Curious how such an important character for the world of Gensokyo has been ridiculed like this by the fandom.
My first contact to Touhou characters was by Memories of Phantasm, so I really got a first impression of her as a annoying loli that just scolds you because she doesn't have anything better to do.

But when I started to play the games, hearing her banger theme and looking to some good PV's, such as 60's Xanadu; my vision of her has changed for sure. A being that is supossed to be the Judge and Supervisor of many realms like Hell, Gensokyo... needs to have the characteristics of a Authority figure: serious, mature, polite, impartial... Even her theme gives you the feeling that you're in front of someone BIG.  Therefore, I'm separated from that Fanon-Irritating Eiki; She deserves respect (tho the fanon Eiki can be funny for some memes or comics hehe).

Regarding to the height topic; well... Touhou is hard to deduce heights, we can just use Sprites from Fighting games... But in the case of Eiki we only have her Background Sprite in HM, which it's not very helpful to get an idea of her height; since the rest of background characters are sitting or lying; while Yoshika is not standing still properly, so her measure is kinda wrong and Tojiko looks bigger because of perspective. Anyways, she must be average; at least, or as tall as Komachi.
image.thumb.png.5c79113be111f81f5db402c56c71d770.png

Edited by LordgyMer

46 minutes ago, Drunken_Flower said:

imagine around Akyuu's height

I've seen this MBT video (and whatever video he has featuring Eiki). As for this bit. How tall is Akyuu? She's an adult, but from what I've seen in images from the manga, it's not very clear if she's just short/petite, or something different like artistic liberty was going on. 

spacer.png

8 hours ago, LordgyMer said:

Curious how such an important character for the world of Gensokyo has been ridiculed like this by the fandom.
My first contact to Touhou characters was by Memories of Phantasm, so I really got a first impression of her as a annoying loli that just scolds you because she doesn't have anything better to do.

But when I started to play the games, hearing her banger theme and looking to some good PV's, such as 60's Xanadu; my vision of her has changed for sure. A being that is supossed to be the Judge and Supervisor of many realms like Hell, Gensokyo... needs to have the characteristics of a Authority figure: serious, mature, polite, impartial... Even her theme gives you the feeling that you're in front of someone BIG.  Therefore, I'm separated from that Fanon-Irritating Eiki; She deserves respect (tho the fanon Eiki can be funny for some memes or comics hehe).

Regarding to the height topic; well... Touhou is hard to deduce heights, we can just use Sprites from Fighting games... But in the case of Eiki we only have her Background Sprite in HM, which it's not very helpful to get an idea of her height; since the rest of background characters are sitting or lying; while Yoshika is not standing still properly, so her measure is kinda wrong and Tojiko looks bigger because of perspective. Anyways, she must be average; at least, or as tall as Komachi.
image.thumb.png.5c79113be111f81f5db402c56c71d770.png

This is actually very nice. Unfortunately, we really cannot rely on official art, because it is extremely inconsistent. Characters tend to get a different height from one artist to another, and from the same from one game to another.
Another quick example, precisely related to Eiki (spoilers for Touhou 17):

Spoiler

We know that the common discussion about Yama's height is the she is around the same as Komachi. This info is apparently based on the comparison of game sprites, particularly those from PoFV if I am not wrong. And we know Komachi is rather massive. However, Eiki appears again at the end of Touhou 17, and when put next to Youmu, ZUN drew her as barely taller. Which comes as a bit inconsistent with the previous discussion. 

So yeah, even the official materials can be confusing at times.

Edited by CountVonNumenor
Typo

spacer.png

On 4/17/2022 at 9:11 PM, CountVonNumenor said:

This is actually very nice. Unfortunately, we really cannot rely on official art, because it is extremely inconsistent. Characters tend to get a different height from one artist to another, and from the same from one game to another.
Another quick example, precisely related to Eiki (spoilers for Touhou 17):

Hide contents

We know that the common discussion about Yama's height is the she is around the same as Komachi. This info is apparently based on the comparison of game sprites, particularly those from PoFV if I am not wrong. And we know Komachi is rather massive. However, Eiki appears again at the end of Touhou 17, and when put next to Youmu, ZUN drew her as barely taller. Which comes as a bit inconsistent with the previous discussion. 

So yeah, even the official materials can be confusing at times.

Sometimes ZUN should give heights and other data about the characters... We're losing our minds for just a single number hahaha xD

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 1:58 PM, LorWkey said:

Another reason for which we cannot really rely on sprites, at least those from Hopeless Masquerade can be seen here

unknown.png

I have put some of the sprites together, and oh dear how weird the proportions are. I guess this is really explained by the fact each of them are at different distances. As for inconsistencies in general with the official art, check this out:

hlrn666lhfd51.png

That moment when even official art messes up perspective and proportions (image from Silent Sinner in Blue, notes added by a Reddit user -  I have lost trace of the thread in which this was discussed)

spacer.png

On 4/19/2022 at 2:00 AM, LorWkey said:

Sometimes ZUN should give heights and other data about the characters... We're losing our minds for just a single number hahaha xD

Zun really like to give vague descriptions of characters doesn't he? I have a feeling he just want to make fans their own theories. About heights, we're going to having a lot of inconsistencies between official print works and game sprites like Von has stated. (If my memories are correct, I've seen a gnome height Marisa in one of the reddit post discussing about heights and Rinnosuke was so tall in there)

16 hours ago, CountVonNumenor said:

Another reason for which we cannot really rely on sprites, at least those from Hopeless Masquerade can be seen here

unknown.png

I have put some of the sprites together, and oh dear how weird the proportions are. I guess this is really explained by the fact each of them are at different distances. As for inconsistencies in general with the official art, check this out:

hlrn666lhfd51.png

That moment when even official art messes up perspective and proportions (image from Silent Sinner in Blue, notes added by a Reddit user -  I have lost trace of the thread in which this was discussed)

This is the point, there're too many inconsistencies between art styles. So, multiple height values were created causing confusion around the community. 

On 4/30/2022 at 6:49 AM, CountVonNumenor said:

That's the Yama I know. Not too tall nor short. A respectable judge. o7 

• Like 1

Truly is Yin & Yang. 

21 hours ago, Gou the frog said:

This is the point, there're too many inconsistencies between art styles. So, multiple height values were created causing confusion around the community. 

I can see this being a problem with the sprites from 13.5. I wonder how it would work though with those from the early fighter gamer (IaMP, SWR and Hisoutensoku), since supposedly all the character sprites are on the same level. Even if those are still quite stylized, we can at least see how the artist for the (battle) sprites interpreted it. 

21 hours ago, Gou the frog said:

That's the Yama I know. Not too tall nor short. A respectable judge. o7 

Yeah, I really like the style of Iganashi. The characters look cute drawn that way

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 3 months later...

Coming back to this though a plus to another Iganashi1 art (seriously, I absolutely love the way that artist depicts lady Eiki). All my respect for someone drawing such a gorgeous looing Yama. I feel tempted to post all of his art, but I have to limit myself to just a few.

FY5_-MyaIAAVB0p?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Source https://twitter.com/Iganashi1/status/1553320025947533313/photo/3 

__shiki_eiki_touhou_drawn_by_iganashi1__

Source  twitter.com/Iganashi1/status/1448288826309308417 (dead Twitter link)

Source https://twitter.com/Iganashi1/status/1538919555841785856/photo/1

https://twitter.com/Iganashi1/status/1533826731031023616/photo/1

__izayoi_sakuya_and_shiki_eiki_touhou_dr

Source https://twitter.com/Iganashi1/status/1524045465586921474/photo/1

Spoiler

Besides lady Eiki, I see Iganashi1 also likes to depict Yuuka (even if that seems to be more like the territory of @tohoyuukarin)

__hakurei_reimu_kirisame_marisa_kazami_y

Source https://twitter.com/Iganashi1/status/1537823886267805696/photo/1

__kazami_yuuka_touhou_drawn_by_iganashi1

Source (again, the Twitter link is dead) twitter.com/Iganashi1/status/1533085766766989312

Edited by CountVonNumenor
  • Like 1

spacer.png

• 11 months later...
On 4/10/2022 at 8:00 AM, Tenkko said:

im a believer of towering junko

On 4/10/2022 at 9:30 AM, DavidX123 said:

Tall Eiki
Pretty sure the ending cutscene to Touhou 9 also revealed it to be that Eiki was a lot more taller than Komachi and Reimu?

I thought Eiki would be the tallest character in Touhou, being around 179 cm in my headcanon.

• Like 1