The Remix Tournament Awakens

jssf1992

Spoiler

Stray House Performance

I really love those mysterious vibes at the beginning, and beyond that it progresses into a great folk tune. I appreciate all the different sections it progresses through, which sometimes implement orchestral and and folk elements together really well. I guess I really dig folk + orchestral fusion. Has some really fun folk energy going for it at the end; Fantastic Legend of Tono is not a piece you hear arranged often and this arrangement was a great listen that I personally think used the source theme well. 8/10.

Hyper Flavour

Because there's so much that goes on in this one it's difficult to explain, but I'll try my best to summarise. Going into this, I really didn't know what to expect, and I still felt that way even after listening to the beginning, all I knew was that I thought the beginning didn't seem bad, but I just felt indifferent about it. Eventually after hearing some of the Touhou parts I felt like I was understanding it a bit more - and some of those parts I thought were really good by the way, such as the Faith is for the Transient People section and the electric guitar version of Hartmann's Youkai Girl. But I struggled to ever get into the "non-Touhou" parts in between those sections, and didn't find that there was really much coherence about it all. And then things only got stranger when suddenly, jazz? Overall, it's all a very strange mashup of things, where I feel that most of the individual sections are done well, I just don't understand why it was all put together. In the end I just feel indifferent about it, since I struggle to even think of the song as a single, connected thing. I can understand why some people might find appeal in having a showcase of several different styles, though.

Since I'm indifferent, I have to go middle of the road with 5/10.

Somehow, this song left both the biggest and the smallest impression on me.

CALL OUT!!

Ah, a vocal song, and dual vocal at that. I like the kinda threatening/foreboding vibes from the vocals before the main chorus. I had to listen really hard to pick out the inspiration from the source theme the first time - was a bit easier to pick out on the second listen, it's definitely one those very loosely based arranges - of course not anything wrong with that, just pointing out my experience. At first I wasn't sure that I liked it all that much, but on consecutive listens I really appreciate what the dual guitar and synth instrumentation does for this song, as well as just the overall structure and energy. Dual vocals also really bring this up. I think I'll settle for giving this 7/10.

EDIT: I seen a few other people saying the vocals don't exactly sound right. I can't know exactly what was meant by that, but... am I the only one who noticed there were two singers?

EDIT: AHAA! I AM THE KING OF PAGE 2!!

On 1/26/2022 at 10:24 PM, Shionne Imeris said:

2. This is quite intriguing i would say not only a medley but more importantly it's Full Flavor or by some also called Omnigenre

oh that's what it supposed to be
somehow that flew over my head.
that reminds me this kind of genre been on rise lately, wazzup with that?

2 hours ago, buskerdog said:

am I the only one who noticed there were two singers?

uh, it's listed in the description
they're sisters even
also ive known tennenjemini so yeah

though the mastering problem still persist, sometimes it sound muffled

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

3 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

that reminds me this kind of genre been on rise lately, wazzup with that?

yeah, recently Colour Bass, Riddim, Full Flavor and several niche genres were popping hard. i'm not sure it's just music trends or something else really
not that i mind though i'm really into stuff like that so i'm happy

On 1/26/2022 at 8:24 AM, Shionne Imeris said:

Omnigenre

I like this word. I will remember this word.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:11 PM, buskerdog said:

am I the only one who noticed there were two singers?

I noticed; I hadn't really considered the unique sound the dual performance created, and now I recognize the novelty. That wasn't the source of audio issues, though.

TTT

First?

10: Joulez - Wasted Neverland
It's available on regular Youtube, in case anyone else finds that information convenient.

I appreciate the sound of this piece; it's decidedly hard EDM, but it doesn't get too bass-happy, emphasizing rhythm rather than noise. That being said, I have some complaints. This is a rather loose adaptation of its source material; I could identify one musical phrase out of the original's five[ish]. This isn't an unusual concept, but is usually mitigated by structure of progression. Here, there is little to no progression, with the piece reaching its peek energy within the first three seconds. Then there was the dip at 2:20; while the piece didn't come to a full stop, it still seemed to be an unnecessary fake-out. These are small issues, and didn't prevent me from enjoying the track, but the lack of anything noteworthy meant there was little else to focus on by the end.

Not much else to say. 6.8/10

11: C-CLAYS - Djedefre
Did anyone else have their ears blown out by that intro?

The buildup definitely captures attention for the main body of the song, and the entrance of the familiar motifs was wonderfully integrated into the original sections. I've said before that I consider Nuclear Fusion to be a bit jerky, so it was pleasant to hear an arrangement that customized and reimagined it in such a way as this. The progression structure here is exemplary. I was surprised it ended when it did, but I believe this is only because we've had so many long pieces in the tournament thus far. Sometimes a piece doesn't need to be long to satisfy its goal.

Thoroughly enjoyed. 8.5/10

12: Ibiza - Stalking the Night with a Cross
Had better luck finding the arranger for this one.

What's the statistics on featured themes for the collective tournaments? I feel like we've heard quite a few unique interpretations of Apparitions, yet this still manages to surprise me. I'm not sure if this is intentionally taking inspiration from Akiyama, but I recognize a strong similarity to some of his work from the fighting games (mainly the focus on the accordion-sounding instrument). There's a good balance of holding to the original motifs and adding more original elements, not all of which is improv-interlude. The loop transition is also refreshingly well handled, neither jarring and abrupt nor ambiguous.

Thoroughly enjoyed x2! 8.7/10

TTT

THIS ROUND SLAPPED

Spoiler

Wasted Neverland

Well, first thing's first I gotta say that this is kind of a cursed platform to share it on. But no matter as I was able to find it elsewhere anyway.

With that out the way, I'm glad it was still shared though because I enjoyed this. I like the long build up this has, it creates a pretty ambient feel since the build up (and the drop) are not actually that intense and it makes for that sort of relaxing style of trance, which is something I like. And then there's the use of flute, unexpected but really cool use of instrumentation which supports that relaxing vibe. That dip into silence is just great too. I could wish more was done with the source theme, but nonetheless the simple implementation has its own appeal, and it's an appeal I get. 8/10.

Djedefre

First thing to talk about is the middle-eastern instruments, they're present all through the piece and that's already a good start as I'm very much a fan of those. I love the build up in this, it has a very intimidating feel to it, not quite tense, but foreshadowing that something is about to happen. And of course, something DOES happen, things get super intense when the rock instrumentation starts to be added, but it's a slow kind of intensity, the kind that just sets such a powerful tone. The subtle layers of techno instruments are the cherry on top of a piece that uses diverse instrumentation to create a very focused mood.

9/10, will remember to keep a safe distance from Okuu.

Stalking the Night with a Cross

From the previous appearances of this game soundtrack, I think I had a certain expectation of what instruments to hear going into this. I was immediately corrected about that. This is an incredibly bouncy and fun remix of Apparitions Stalk the Night, featuring traditional instruments, and I'm all for it. There's a string instrument which I can't think the name of playing an alternate part in the background, and I need to point it out because I really like what it's doing there. Those rapid note flourishes are incredibly entertaining; and of course let's not forget, P I A N O. I love how the original theme was used here, with all those interweaving parts, and the whole thing is just so energetic and groovy. The only disappointing thing is the fade out, since it's looping game soundtrack... 8/10 overall.

1. i always liked trance mostly for it's sounding and how long it can get, depending on artist they can also get a bit stale or not and this depending on someones tastes might be a downside as well as upside
this was mentioned twice above but i wish this one would meddle more with original but it's really good regardless i love trance with ambient/choir parts and this flute definitely adds to it and while theres almost no progression it doesn't get boring for me

9.5/10 (would be 10/10 if original theme would be utilized more)

2. another orchestra although a tad different this time i'd say, it was kinda hard to guess what theme it is for me until 0:40 but i that's pretty normal. This really gives me arabish vibes (doubt i'm the only one it was probably supposed to sound to resemble that) but i like it instrumentation and progression is great too

8.5/10

3. fantasy maiden wars again wooo, this definitely sounds like a game ost to me although my first thought was house set which should be quite reasonable i guess, gives also a very little bit of jazz-ish vibes to me but i don't really mind it here this sounds decent though ngl

8/10

8 hours ago, buskerdog said:

THIS ROUND SLAPPED

i have to agree there, this round was nuts!

ah sorry for the delay
i had to clear my ears

Spoiler

Joulez - Wasted Neverland
eyy i can name this kind of genre

quite a long track
took a while to find the theme, ofc they put it in the kalm part
it feels a bit repetitive but i think that's the point of trance. so yeah...

i cant find anything to comment on
i dont feel attachment to this but neither dislike it
7/10

C-Clays - Djedefre
i didn't expect that opening holyshit

oh this sounds egyptian? middle eastern! we got quite a few lately eh?
a very powerful piece, i mean.. yeah that's how Nuclear Fusion arrange usually is.
the buildup and transition sounds perfect.
and the original theme is easily recognizable so that aint a problem
2:40 I'd like to know what they say in arabic... egyptian use arabic rightt?

i can imagine what this trying to convey.
9/10
if Djed is the son of ra
then is Okuu the daughter of yatagarasu? ?

Ibiza - Stalking the Night with a Cross
the first 2 second gave me impression this is a chinese style arrange, maybe no, tibet-india yes, just slightly.
The "Those rapid note flourishes" i think they use some kind of harp, probably some kind of Koto. it's not traditional but somehow it's often used in modern fusion.
fade-out again? yeah game soundtrack, understandable.

this is a fun piece
8.7/10
Goodbounce ?

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Okay, time for the final round!

First up, an orchestral arrange of Flowering Night (with some salsa in there too I think)

Spoiler

Second, an arrangement of Autumnal Waterfall:

Spoiler

And last but not least, an electronic mix of Bamboo Forest of the Full Moon:

Spoiler

1. oooh someone just reminded me about that circle, really unique in 2hu fanbase imo mostly because of their intros and the fact that songs tend to tell some kind of story 1:59 is just straight amazing but whole song is just a real banger with good progression and instruments choice

10/10

2. aaaand there we go with another fantasy maiden wars ost (third one i think) it's quite short piece but it does a good job in original theme representation, a little bit repetitive but i don't mind especially it's short (although sudden cut at the end was kind of surprise, i guess someone had to cut the loop there) 

7.5/10

3. i have my concerns about a bit misleading title because i'm pretty it's a house not electronica (or with just very little influence of electronica) but that aside, this piece would be real good if you'd want to focus on something while also listening to music it's soothing and not too sharp to make you wub like frozen starfall stuff often tends to be which has it own charms 

8.5/10

previous round was neat but this one was also really good and those two definitely been my favorites from this tournament so far

a

Spoiler

Nanagen Straße - 黄昏のステップ
uhh um im not sure what this genre, i do hear ethno elements in the voice it but im not sure what to call the other. House ethno? lmmao i checked their site and they say... Epic Trance... ok.
anyway ignoring them, this definitely has the influence of latin and medieval folk with modern touch and epic symphony.

i have no idea what he's monologue-ing, ACTUALLY I DO! summary:

"man born to this world blindfolded,
questioning oneself, is it so they don't see unnecessary things?
someone else asked, is it so they see no evil?
why are they choose to keep living under the blinds? the truth is that's because they are all cowards!
the moment man open it's eyes, they afraid to be left behind.
and so everyone continue to dance under the blinds."

but not the female voice i have no idea what she sayin.
i have a feeling this probably a part of bigger story, that's how usually epic symphony goes, for example: ICDD.

it's quite catchy though
9/10

Fantasy Maiden Wars P - Momiji's battle theme: Observe, White Wolf!
I instantly feel like this a game credit/victory music instead of a battle theme lmao
01:10 the loop transition is not as smooth as the previous rumia theme, the menacing drums feels quite out of place in the middle of upbeat music.

i'd like to give this a 9 for some reason, probably because i like autumnal waterfall but then considering i prefer the execution of previous rumia theme i may need to change both.
8.5/10

Frozen Starfall - Rainforest
house?
idk why the opening so slow, it took like a quarter of the music to change melody and another quarter to start the beats
yeah it says chillout but it's too repetitive

now the one after 02:00
i personally like the part at 2:15
and im outta things to comment...
yeah sure this probably would play in my BG playlist but then it wont give much impression, probably wouldn't even realized this was playing 
6.5/10

13: Nanagen Straße - Twilight Steps
*deep sigh*

The music is great; I love the blend of standard orchestra with vaguely varied folk influence (referencing hinted instrumentation and an ever so slight stylistic bend). The vocalists both do excellent jobs, and their performances contrast and compliment each other very smoothly. This arrangement was clearly constructed with the utmost care toward the intended effect, and I believe successfully so. However, what that intended effect precisely is, I can't be sure of; I could not find a translation of the lyrics, and this track seemed especially reliant upon the listener's ability to interpret it for its progression. As such, I am left with too many unintentional questions to be entirely satisfied with my experience.

Though it should not impact my judgement of the piece, I should also note that I did not appreciate the accompanying image, and was unable to find an alternative upload. Nonetheless, 7.6/10

14: [insert composer for Fantasy Maiden Wars P here] - Observe, White Wolf!
That should be sufficient to find it later, if necessary.

Aside from a slightly more bombastic presentation (most notably the intro), this seems a simplified adaptation of its source material. I infer the idea was to replace the signature MoF specific instrumentation with something resembling the standard Zunpet, and adjust as necessary to change the track from a stage-type to a boss-type. Unfortunately, too much is lost in the transition, and the end result feels lacking compared to the original. It didn't sound "bad," though . . .

I'm curious to see how DF categorizes this into his taxonomy of musical adaptation. 5/10

15: Frozen Starfall - Rainforest
Strange note to end on.

The piece has a slow start, but eventually adds layers and gets its progression going. It seems only loosely connected to its source material, in as much as it isn't the kind of piece to hold to melody much to begin with, and the source was something of a medley anyway. I'd compare this to earlier entry Wasted Neverland, in that there is a similar emphasis on the mood rather than progression. I still prefer my mood music to have elements of good progression, but I can respect what these kinds of pieces are going for. There may also be some genre-associated expectations that I need to address to better appreciate this style. Regardless, this grew on me over time.

Let that be it. 7.8/10

TTT

Sorry about the wait guys, I am now here to finish reviewing these.

Spoiler

Steps in the Twilight

I do certainly like the buildup in this piece, although without nay translation, I can't know what the male vocals are saying. Beyond that, what I have to say is this is very unique for a Touhou arrangement, and I like the beat that runs throughout the piece. I do have a few gripes with it as well, namely the fact I can't hear what theme it's meant to be based on, and that the part with the violins sounds too fast to me (they might not be violins I'm not great at identifying string instruments but you should understand what I mean). 

Pleasant and unique sounding, didn't have me jumping out my seat though. Gets a solid 6/10.

Observe, White Wolf!

The ZUNpet influence can be felt strongly in this, although I have to say, this is almost all trumpets. There are occasionally some nice things going on in the background which add some identity, but overall there's just not enough layers to it for me, and it comes across as a pretty surface-level adaptation. I was hoping for more. Not much else to say really, I can only give this 3/10.

Rainforest

This is one of those pieces which I like, but struggle to explain why I like it. I'll try my best; there's definitely a hard, driving beat to this, but it doesn't feel intense or overwhelming in anyway, and it's contrasted nicely with the actual main Bamboo Forest of the Lost melody later which is much calmer. This piece is made up of a lot of simple repeating melodies which are overlapped in different ways throughout, and I think that's why I can easily get into the relaxing mood without getting uninterested in the music. The bit where the main melody is layered on top of a counter melody is really good too. For me this is a relaxed and enjoyable piece that cleverly uses its simple parts to make a chill atmosphere that also prevents itself getting boring. Huh, I've outdone myself, I think I actually have done a good job explaining why I like it. It should also be noted that I am very biased for rain ambience. Anyway, I'm ranking this 7/10 overall.

Alright. I finally got the numbers worked out (sorry for the delay), but here they are:

Highest average song: a tie between Nuclear Fusion and Reach For the Moon x Doll Maker of Burcusti, each at 8.6 of 10

Highest average participant:  Drunken Flower, at 7.9 of 10

Other things

Only one 10/10 was given that wasn't by the one that picked, and it was for Steps in the Twilight.

The range of scores was 3/10 to 10/10, the range of averages was 6/10 to 8.6/10.

My personal favorites were Reach For the Moon x Doll Maker of Burcusti and the Stray House Fantastic Legend of Tono

does this mean i won?
i thought im doing terrible lmao

so yeah time to guess who's who i guess

Spoiler

my submission

Spoiler

Nanagen Strasse - Twilight Steps
this was a disastrous choice
i initially choosen another one from the same arranger, but apparently that was not a 2hu arrange.
and i insisted to pick another song from the same arranger since i really like this guy.
time running out and this is the one of few 2hu arrange that uploaded on youtube.

C-Clays - Djedefre
i love middle eastern touhou.
pls send.

i forgot the other one i submitted, pls wait girls are thinking.
Tennenjemini - CALL OUT!!
i uh... cant rember why i choose this one.
probably because i like tennenjemini, they aint very pro but a fun one instead.

Jssf

i think he's the one choosen all 3 FMW OSTs, quite confident since his tournament history consist a lot of game OST

Shionne
he said earlier that he aint using youtube and admitted some of his submission.
chizhidoo - Falling Pegasus
Youkai Sound Team - Hyper Flavour

now just 6 left for 2 people, basically 50/50

Busker

Sonic Hybrid Orchestra - Soul Concerto
Busker is the type that will choose SHO, sick guitars

Gurdian of the Shrine - IZMIZM

because i dont think Ken choosen this two, and you're a bit of an Electro guy right?

Ken
this all what left
dont think you're the type that will pick EDM stuffs, i dont even recall you ever posted EDM.
and the remaining is all orchestral.

Maiden's Cappricio/Armpit Maiden - Blooming
月まで届け、不死の煙×ブクレシュティの人形師 - Melodic Taste
O-Life Japan - マヨヒガ演舞

On 2/8/2022 at 8:42 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

I'm curious to see how DF categorizes this into his taxonomy of musical adaptation

me too want to know

Woo, back here at the end again! Thanks again to all for participating and Jssf for coming back to host.

I don't think it's a secret that my favourites came from the fourth round. Djedefre was actually a song I had heard before, but I'd forgotten about it since it was in a compilation of other songs, so nice to see it brought back to my attention. Stalking the Night with a Cross also left a big impression on me, it honestly might be my favourite rendition of Apparitions Stalk the Night. And to mention something that wasn't from that fourth round, I loved the dual vocal performance of CALL OUT!!

My submissions!:

Spoiler

Maiden's Capriccio - Blooming

Melodic Taste - The Doll Maker of Buccuresti x Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke

Now, regarding the hosting of the next tournament: I was going to sign myself up for it, but... I have some songs that I'd kinda like to comment on myself next time. If no one else wants to host now then I'll still do it and save those songs for later. If someone else does want to host, then great! And I'll offer to host the next one afterward.

While it's been commented on, I have really talked much about how I keep coming back to fan games remixes.  This time in particular I picked three from Fantasy Maiden Wars: Scarlet, one of my favorites for a number of reasons, the soundtrack definitely being one of the highlights (though I did pick one from a later game).  Observe! White Wolf! is one I very fond of, despite being different, and honestly simpler, than the original, for it's energy.  It's what I think of as Momiji's theme, as opposed to the original stage theme.

I generally feel that the fan game mixes are kind of the other direction to go with the music.  Most remixes/arrangements will become 'active listening' pieces, that you could/should follow along with or focus on, while most video game music is 'passive listening' pieces, meant to be part of a whole, and having a purpose in that whole that doesn't require you to focus on it.  A great deal of my praise for the Touhou soundtracks is that Zun's work can do both well as-is, providing feeling and character to music while keeping a driving energy that is oh-so-neccesary while playing such fast paced games.  When the fangames manage to keep this element of the music through the remixes/arrangements, I'm all the more impressed.

FMW, though, is interesting in that being a strategy game, it doesn't have to keep the energy level high, but usually does anyway.

i kinda agree to that about fangames music and that they often can be a different approach to same theme which may lead to great outcome!

now, thanks for everyone participating i had plenty of fun there

submissions of mine:

Spoiler

chizhidoo -Falling Pegasus
Youkai Sound Team - Hyper Flavour

and since i'm always full of stuff let's say i'm already waiting for next one!

I need to work on my punctuality, I've been slipping of late.

Where to start? I'd like to take a deeper look into DF's clarification of terms, but I should probably get the more formulaic parts out of the way first. So, here's my three most memorable submissions for RT7.

Spoiler

1: Youkai Sound Team - Hyper Flavour
By far the highest moment of the tournament for me. Looking back, I probably should have given this a 10/10.

2: Ibiza - Stalking the Night with a Cross
Surprising, but pleasantly so.

3: Tie between C-CLAYS - Djedefre & Melodic Taste - Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke x The Doll Maker of Bucuresti
Both of these are victim of unfortunate circumstance; I was already familiar with Djedefre before the tournament, and the novelty of Melodic Taste was worn away by subsequent rounds (I would have placed it later in the tournament, but I'm probably overthinking it).

Next up is submitter guesses, and I think I've got it pretty close. I'm making more assumptions this time, in as much as I'm taking obvious patterns at surface value. But, as no obvious contradictions arise, I'm committing to it.

Spoiler

First up is Jssf, who's thematic submissions seem pretty straightforward this time around. It's rather interesting how wide a variety of musical genres exist within the Fantasy Maiden Wars series, even if it seems a bit hit-or-miss sometimes.
1: Paranoia Step
2: Stalking the Night with a Cross
3: Observe, White Wolf!

Then of course is He Who's Name Keeps Changing, who I presume pulled a Garison and made all his submissions unique links, whether for novelty or familiarity. Either way, the pieces themselves fit his tastes, so the shoe fits.
1: Falling Pegasus
2: Hyper Flavour
3: Wasted Neverland

busker's commentary style is an unreliable indicator of whether he's previously familiar with a piece or not, without being explicitly biased about it. I admire this ability, as much as it makes this part of the game more difficult.
1: Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke x The Doll Maker of Bucuresti
2: Blooming
3: Reflection

Finally, we come to the wild card. There's always a couple points in a tournament where I say to myself, "That's one of DF's submissions," just by the sound. But then I second guess myself, lacking supporting evidence, and it usually comes down to a process of elimination.
1: CALL OUT!!
2: Djedefre
3: Steps in the Twilight

I feel so much less confident now then when I started, but I still ultimately enjoyed it.

Almost forgot to put down my own picks. ?

Spoiler

1: Guardian of the Shrine
I thought this would be my wild card this tournament, but by the end I think it became pretty obvious. Less commonly remixed track.

2: Soul Concerto
Phantom Ensemble is my favorite Touhou theme, and I have not found many arrangements of it. This is one of the best I've found.

3: Stray House Performance
I've been holding on to this one for a while. My appreciation for Touhou meets my appreciation for Irish folk.

That will do for now.

TTT

Okay, let's do this.

On 1/15/2022 at 7:48 AM, Drunken_Flower said:

- Cover is basically where someone play faithful to the music sheet with barely no change. e.g Piano Cover
- Remix is where you add something to the original music like effects, mixes, enhancements and such while keeping the original feeling the same.
- Re-Arrangement is where it gets interesting. Basically you play music with your own style, your own image. Altering the original meaning and mood to fit your own views and expression.

This definition of musical cover is consistent with my previous understanding, and I appreciate the clarification being made. I realize I tend to estimate these differently from how I would an arrangement, though perhaps not as much as I should. The intent of the cover is to recreate the original with different instrumentation, presumably adjusting the tone in the process to fit the new genre. Thus, the difference between a good cover and a bad cover is mostly technical quality, i.e. how successful the adaptation was. The remix tournaments tend toward analysis of creativity and emotional perception, with some (but less) focus on technical quality, leaving covers at a disadvantage. While I don't expect I'll be submitting many covers, I will remember in future to approach such submissions with an appropriate mindset.

The description of musical arrangement is artfully worded (I appreciate the presupposition of music as a medium of meaning and intent), and sufficiently distinguishes the concept from that of the cover. I'm not sure the term "rearrangement" fits, given that the word implies a moving around of what is already present in a similar way to the word "remix." At the same time, I understand the intention and justification of creating the distinction. I might use the word "metamix" myself, but will remember the context for other references here.

A remix is assumed to be a "mixing" of the musical material being worked with. This process takes inspiration from what is currently contained in the source material, hence the "re-mix." I question what the qualifications are for a musical adaptation to be more than a cover without becoming a metamix; even a cover will alter the mood and feeling to a limited extent, so it seemingly becomes a matter of subjective perception. How much can you add without effecting the fundamentals? What even are the fundamentals?

As such, I propose that a remix is a limited reinterpretation, without drifting too far from the source material. This is still subjective, but allows for the first two categories to broaden and gain more versatility, and limited the third category to become more manageable without losing significance. The farther away from "cover" an adaptation becomes, the more reliant upon its creativity its estimation becomes. My specified curiosity concerning Observe, White Wolf! had to do with the limited distance from its source material. I considered this a cover, albeit in a style normally complex enough to qualify for DF's "remix;" similarly, Soul Concerto is mostly a direct genre adaptation, up until it introduces interpretive elements in its second half (as appropriately noted by DF in his review). All that being said, this taxonomy is still very subjective; it will be up to the individual to justify their classification should the need arise, and convincing levels of justification will likewise vary. I doubt it will come up often, but I think it will be fun when it does. :)

For further consideration, a selection of other terms that may or may not fit in:
Mashup
Extension
Medley

"Inspired by"
Remastered

Bonus question: Are the musical adaptation of the fighting game spinoffs predominately covers, arrangements, or metamixes?

TTT

Archived