How would you approach a Touhou TTRPG

Eshmatarel

I'm a massive Tabletop RPG player, and, well, I like touhou as well, so I've been working on a touhou RPG.

My approach is more as a social interaction-based game, rather than something combat oriented, but seeing as Danmaku is a major part of touhou, I can't help but wonder if i'm going at it the wrong way.

A character's stats are (names are only ideas, suggestions welcome!): 

Magic/Danmaku - How powerful your supernatural abilities and spells are

Smile - How friendly and personable your character is

Book - How knowledgeable a character is, how much they can know or infer about certain youkai, fairies, powers, or incidents.

Cirno/Power - How hardy, quick, and strong the character is.

Additionally each character has 2-6 powers, at least one of which is connected to a personality quirk (or flaw, if you're feeling less charitable). For example, Marissa might have a 'Suitable item back at home' power that relates to a 'borrow first, apologize later' personality quirk.

In Touhou games you mostly go around solving incidents, encountering various characters throughout. Although in the Danmaku games it ends with a thrashing, everyone becomes friends later. Maybe the thrashing part isn't all that necessary for a role-playing game. You gain mana (or whatever the expendable power resource will be called) and meta-currency (bonus points that help with your actions) via interacting with people, creating bonds, and helping people out with their problems.

For anyone more interested in the ruleset, I'm using Golden Sky Stories as a baseline.

Anyways... Are there things that you think should definitely be in a Touhou TTRPG, are definitely shouldn't be? Anything you would want to see and/or play?

Archived