RT6: Revenge of the Remix Tournament

Ken Hisuag

This caught me by surprise, I forgot there was going to be a sixth round.

Spoiler

U.N. Owen was Her

Why so many organ???
Wait, someone must have gone with all organ.

For an organ arrangement this feels very fast, it's pretty unnatural. The sound is punchy at some times, which can get a bit harsh on the ears, but at most times it's actually very smooth, which is good. However, it is pretty much just U.N. Owen... on organ. Seriously, what else do I say about it?

Apart from the speed feeling really weird it was done pretty well, but it also fails to stand out to me, which isn't helped at all by how short it is, so 5/10.

WHY DOES FLAN NOT HAVE THE FUNNI WINGS IN THE PICTURE????

Oriental Heaven of Scarlet Perception

Ken said to let the hunt begin, it was kind of sus, and now I've been way too fixated on trying to pick out some reference in the music during my first listen...

I mean, remember that arrange of Heian Alien I posted waayyyy back? The opening is literally THE SAME as the original Chameleos theme.

but he's not wrong, it does sound like it would fit in MH
and the picture is pretty MH-ish too
the uploader thinks so too
now I know what Ken googled to find this
anyway, I should listen again and comment on the actual music

Epic SWR credits theme time. This has a bunch of different parts in with some really nice progression between them. Very intense bit at the beginning, that's a battle theme right there. I really like the violin with the stings at 0.50. And then the part where it goes all grand at 1.30 is great, it even feels a bit march-y. There's a more laid back bit after that, and then a tension-build up thing. come on proof of a hero is going to start any moment now The song reaches a very clear resolution at the end.

Overall this has a really adventurous feel to it, and I can feel there's a journey from start to finish here. I feel like I slightly botched my first listening, but I'm sure this is a 9/10.

..also, I count two things in the background of that image which I have no idea what they are, and it's really annoying me...

silenced majority

Silence, huh? That's certainly how this starts out...

Then the retro noises started and it really surprised me... where is this going?

And then the rock hits.

The mix of the rock and chiptune is here is just amazing, and that's not to mention the piano going on here too.

AND THEN YOU THROW IN VOCALS TOO? Her voice sounds kinda raspy, I guess it fits with the tone of the music. I also really like how the actual Fate of Sixty Years theme is integrated into this, later I also hear Higan Retour thrown in there, I think even brining a few folk instruments in the back with it? All this different stuff in there adds lots of depth, although for me the main to take away is still the blend of rock and chiptune. The song is overall strangely very eerie...

Phenomenal and otherworldly. 10/10.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Ok, while i more or less liked previous piano ones this one is just out for me for me it's quite bland, also what was that at 2:05 lmao

5/10

2. This one on other hand sounds great for orchestral it's "majestic" enough while also feeling good to listen to and hey it's SWR best theme 

8/10

3. Ahh i love this one, i remember storming thru all Tsubaki albums to find something like this and never succeeded this one is just great how mysterious and kind eerie/ominous it is vocal in this case is really fitting too imho
also i rarely listen to midtempo metal it's chiptun-ish quite a lot but it even makes it better while guitar is cherry on top, and let's not forget about themes, Riverside and Fate Sixty Years is all good but what i really love is Another Dream (could argue it's one of the best of credit roll or even themes in general in entire 2hu for me but unfortunately SA Future Daybreak exists and i just can't pick between those) also 5:58 is just so amazing that it always makes me shiver when it kicks in

10/10

I'm sorry everyone, I keep meaning to get to this, but I keep forgetting after work . . .

1: U N Owen was Organ - Another straightforward organ piece, but it works very well with U N Owen.  In fact, I would say that the organ actually changes the tone ever so slightly in favor of intensity and menace.  Not my favorite version, but definitely one of the better ones.  7.5/10

2: Oriental Sky of Scarlet Perception - A more different one.  Some parts that are more relaxed, resembling the original, others more energized and dramatic.  Both are nice, and the more dramatic take on the calming piece is great.  9/10

3: Silenced Majority - Definitely different.  I might have guessed that this was Last Judgement based on the length, which is a bit much, but the song is good anyway.  A (generally) slow paced rock piece with some techno thrown in on occasion, and a few moments that more closely resemble the original piece.  Very nice. 8/10

The votes are in!

It's rather difficult to decide how to post the results without making it inconvenient to read. I don't know if DF is going to attempt guessing submissions as he alluded to previous tournament (or if someone else wants to try their hand at it, for that matter), but just in case I'm going to put the results in a spoiler box.

Spoiler

Highest Rated Submission was TsuBaKi's silenced majority, submitted by Dana Iclucia, with an average of 8.6/10.

Highest Rated Participant was buskerdog, with an average of 7.7/10 across his three submissions.

Tournament average rating was 6.9/10.

There was one unassociated 10/10 rated given, conveniently to TsuBaKi's silenced majority.

Melodic Taste's Oriental Sky of Scarlet Perception deserves honorable mention, with an average rating of 8.7.

I'll be back later to reveal my own submissions and give some additional commentary.

TTT

This spoiler tab contains things in Ken's spoiler tab ⬇️

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Highest Rated Submission was TsuBaKi's silenced majority, submitted by Dana Iclucia, with an average of 8.6/10.

Melodic Taste's Oriental Sky of Scarlet Perception deserves honorable mention, with an average rating of 8.7.

ummm 8.7 > 8.6? (Wait I forgot normally host can't "win", so I guess that's why.)

Tournament average rating was 6.9/10.

nice

This is the obligatory post I do where I thank the host for organising and everyone for participating. And I have to say for me at least, wow this tourney got really good all of a sudden right at the end! Ken, did you order these?

My favourites are of course songs I rated very highly in the last two rounds; silenced majority, On My Own, Hymn of Haniwa, and Oriental Sky of Scarlet Perception, but there was also definitely solid stuff from before that point too, OHKAMIYOHOTOKEYO in particular stands out in my memory.

Props to Ken for figuring out some way to get the last of Jerome's reviews in before he had to head out, and also props to Drunken for getting us to put reviews in spoiler tabs more, it's something he suggested last tournament but it has legit helped a lot for navigating this thread.

Well then...

This spoiler tab contains my submissions ⬇️

Spoiler

Crazy Beats - Passport

GET IN THE RING - traumatic

AQUA STYLE - 六通 (Six-way)

ok guessing time!
it's my turn this tourney right?

(i wrote this before ken announce the winner and i havent read it)

Spoiler

there may have been some misdirections or me just being paranoid

0% 25% 50% 75% 100%

starting with me because im pretty sure i can remember what i submit.
probably....

Spoiler

Liz-Triangle - Blue Moon
hehe Surf rock, I still don't understand the lyrics

Touhou Jihen - OHKAMIYOHOTOKEYO
funky traditional yeah! i shoulda stop putting NSY stuff in this tourney

Shinra-Bansho - Haniwa Saka
banger, arguably better than hanipaganda

then uh... Dana
because easier to guess overall

Spoiler

Mami Mami Bad Funk
Admitted

Rolling Contact - On My Own
Amane's Subscriber

Tsubaki - Silenced Majority
this the last one in the tourney, and every other song already got an owner.
after the elimination process and reaction review and some complex logic, I decided this belong to thee.
could be anyone though since we all like Tsubaki

now Jerome

Spoiler

kauroko - Jester of the Star-Spangled Banner
Admitted? also Crusade = Medieval

Stas Gavrik - Kitten of Great Fortune (Ambient ver.)
it seems that im the only one that havent listen to stas gavrik
ken and busker seems to know this channel too, but they already got other assigned to them
tl;dr process of elimination

Logical Emotion - Lullaby of Deserted Hell
he seems to like kalm stuff so this goes here

busker?

Spoiler

Crazy Beats - Passporte
Eurobeat

Get in the Ring - Traumatic
this can belong to you or Ken

AQUA STYLE - Six Ways
same as above but with less confidence

and Ken
kinda hard since he aint comment

Spoiler

Faith is for the Transient People Experimental Mix
he likes experimental stuff and likes to dip in smol obscure channels

Melodic taste - Touhou Hisouten
Ken likes Orchestral
and the result of process of elimination
or busker got me

Vegitotenks2002 - Complete Darkness Organ
yes
why i think this one is Ken's while there's another 2 organ arranges.
because for some reason i already assigned one other song to Jssf, so he wouldnt be able to put all 3 organ.
ken is the only one knowing all the submitted songs and can change freely midway during registration according to any circumstances.
and i have paranoia that he trying to mislead me thinking all of the organ arrange belong to one person.

lastly Jssf
this mostly guesswork idk what he thinkin

Spoiler

Erica-Angelina Kanarska-Sabat - Uranian Folk for "A Soul as Red as Ground Cherry"
the only one who likes this
although this also could be Ken since he aint comment

Septet for the Dead Princess
it's a couple with U.N Organ
also extreme process of elimination

U.N Organ
it's a Couple with Septet for the Dead Princess
also extreme process of elimination

it's all Organ Conspiracies

On 8/21/2021 at 8:32 AM, buskerdog said:

..also, I count two things in the background of that image which I have no idea what they are, and it's really annoying me...

Spoiler

it's Iku riding a velocidrome 

read Tenco's Story, it's a Doujin, 100% would recommend

018.thumb.jpg.d00693e4662c3508666d6dda86d71a14.jpg

all hail short haired Tenshi

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

9 hours ago, jssf1992 said:

Yes, the organ was me.  I like organ, but I guess I shouldn't . . .

i lowkey suspected organ picks are your as well honestly

10 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

Amane's Subscriber

Who else could it be, unless i have a impostor!

16 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Spoiler

wooo i finally got this, nah but seriously i expected it to be a good pick but i didn't expect it's going to win (and i was even more surprised by On my Own rated this high too)

Alright, let's see if I can remember everything I wanted to get out here.

First up, I really enjoyed hosting this. It's a surprisingly effective change in perspective; I don't have to think about how to articulate my own thoughts, but get to take in more fully the differing viewpoints presented by others. Behind the scenes, I took a bit more initiative in arranging submissions to maximize efficiency in presentation, and intentionally held off on deciding some of my own submissions so as to potentially assist in diversifying the variety of genre representation. Figuring out formatting and troubleshooting resulted in a satisfying sense of things coming together that I hadn't expected to experience, and very much appreciated.

Secondly, on the matter of the tournament overall average. For some reason, I recalled this being a standard tally, but now looking back I find it's only been explicitly recorded once (though alluded to on other occasions). I included it because I consider it a useful statistic, as it theoretically helps define in a mathematical way how tournaments compare to each other. That being said, I don't personally believe we should be aiming for a high average, since that would presuppose aiming for submission that would appeal to other participants rather than discoveries that appeal to us personally. Ultimately these tournaments are about discovery, but they also present a unique angle of exploration beyond what we might be familiar with, and instigation to understand why we each enjoy some styles and not others. I might even go so far as to present (though not outright encourage) the possibility of submitting pieces we don't necessarily like ourselves but consider worth discussion, even though such submission might bring down a tournament's average ratings.

Thirdly, three most personally memorable remixes. Not technically a spoiler, but I'll put it in a box anyway.

Spoiler

CrazyBeats - Pasporte
There's such a charming fun to this piece, even if you don't know/look up the lyrics.

Touhou Jihen - OHKAMIYOHOTOKEYO
IMO, underrated (literally); this would have gotten no less than a 9/10 from me, and possibly higher.

Rolling Contract - On My Own
Even now, I'm surprised how much this one has stuck with me.

Honorable mention to silenced majority, which completely blew me away when I heard it. I knew immediately that I'd be saving it for the end, and it would have gotten a no-hesitation 10/10 from me.

And finally (for this post at least, there should be at least one more), my own submissions.

Spoiler

1: SoggatariaDuätschmatschInc. - Ukrainian Folk for 'A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry'
What a mouthful.

This is one of the most unusual styles I've ever come across. That being said, I confess that I don't like it very much; it lacks any sense of progression or balance, leaving it sounding (though, surprisingly, not feeling) chaotic. I expected it wouldn't be very well appreciated here either, and part of me wondered what kind of response it would get based upon that. Then I found out I might host a tournament, and figured that would be the perfect opportunity to slip it in. I was actually surprised it wasn't rated lower, and Jssf's review was unexpectedly fascinating to me. Though I initially considered it as low as a 2 or 3, after hearing from the rest of you I believe I've come to appreciate it a bit more. Therefore, 5/10.

2: Melodic Taste - Oriental Heaven of Scarlet Perception
Touhou Project x Monster Hunter

I originally found this just around the time Busker first mentioned Monster Hunter in Musical Discoveries, and thus before I'd ever actually heard any music from Monster Hunter. I later re-discovered it I'd done the Other Game Music feature and Busker expounded upon it, appreciated it better, and thought I'd save it for when Rise released. Then I forgot, and decided to wait till busker made good on his Rise feature. When that happened, I realized we were close to another tournament, and by that time I was more familiar with Monster Hunter music and far more impressed by this piece as a result. I'm very glad I held onto it, since it balanced out well against the other prevalent styles in this tournament. I didn't expect it to rate so high, though. The intro seems to me a bit off balance from the rest of the piece, and the whole thing somehow feels too short despite being a reasonable four-and-a-half minutes. Regardless, it's a superb stylistic arrangement, and I wish I could find more like it. 9/10 (8.7ish in decimals, but I'm still not sure about that).

3: logical emotion - Lullaby of Deserted Hell
The great equalizer.

I've wanted for some time to get Logical Emotion into a tournament, but for a while I hadn't decided on a specific piece. The charm to me was the masterful performance of a few instruments, rather than creativity in the arrangement itself. However, I still wanted something that sounded like an arrangement, rather than a cover. There were several tracks I deemed too elaborate or too basic to fit my needs, and I eventually settled on this one fitting close enough between the two to satisfy. In hindsight, I might have rather chosen a piece with a contradictory source, as in something originally faster and/or louder. However, I still very much like this piece for not simply retaining but also amplifying the mood of the original. 8/10.

I shall return to provide further commentary one last time.

TTT

On 8/26/2021 at 11:01 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

I might even go so far as to present (though not outright encourage) the possibility of submitting pieces we don't necessarily like ourselves but consider worth discussion, even though such submission might bring down a tournament's average ratings.

It's an interesting thought, though, for myself, I just like the organ.  It started with wanting to share Joshscorcher's arrange/remix of UN Owen, then just decided to find more organ.  I am kind of sad that every time I've done the "I'll make all my picks themed in some way" I seem to be the only one that likes, though, so maybe I should stop doing that.

Miscellaneous responses and clarifications time!

On 8/13/2021 at 2:21 PM, Drunken_Flower said:

why do i feel ken arranging the music ascending

On 8/25/2021 at 4:46 PM, buskerdog said:

wow this tourney got really good all of a sudden right at the end! Ken, did you order these?

Short answer: yes, but not entirely on purpose.

As I received each batch of submissions, I compiled them into a private Youtube playlist. Once they were all in, I experimented with order and round arrangement. Ultimately, it was a half-hazard process, but there were a few goals I had in mind. Firstly, I determined to select the opening round and closing feature; the first round serves as the foundation of the tournament, and the ending will influence its retrospective appeal. Beyond that, I confess to a limited degree of "ascending arrangement," in as much as I focused on getting a higher concentration of low-energy pieces toward the front and saving some of the more progression-heavy high-energy pieces for the back. Just as a musical arrangement ideally increases in energy over its duration, I figured the tournament itself would benefit from this consideration. However, I wanted to avoid a round of all low- or high-energy pieces for the most part, so as to create a contrast that would keep each round interesting on its own (I considered the organ solos and the Faith is for the Transient People to be low-energy pieces for their lack of progression). Attempting anything beyond that in terms of "ascension" carried a degree of inherent risk, since such intentions would likely be influenced by my own preferences (and thus subjective); while actively deciding upon the order of presentation, I did not consciously apply any such strategy. That being said, I've noticed in hindsight an unintentional consistency, in as much that each individual participant's submissions were featured in the tournament in what I would consider an ascending order, with the exception of Jerome's. I was not aware of this bias at the time, and cannot be sure it isn't a coincidence, but I like how it turned out nonetheless.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:18 PM, jssf1992 said:

I like organ, but I guess I shouldn't

On 8/29/2021 at 12:00 PM, jssf1992 said:

I am kind of sad that every time I've done the "I'll make all my picks themed in some way" I seem to be the only one that likes, though, so maybe I should stop doing that.

Did you see my most recent post in Musical Discoveries? I went looking for organ solos because of what you shared, and I very much appreciated the instigation. I don't think thematic submissions are a bad idea, but they should showcase different aspects of that theme to provide perspective. As stated earlier, the primary goal of the tournament as a concept is to discover new things in the realm of Touhou music, and more variety in submissions can help facilitate that. However, I believe that variety can be achieved within a conceived theme, depending on the situation.

On 8/25/2021 at 8:39 PM, Drunken_Flower said:

i have paranoia that he trying to mislead me

I try to avoid directly misleading or deceiving, intentional or otherwise.

On 8/25/2021 at 4:46 PM, buskerdog said:

nice

?‍♂️ How did I not notice that?

TTT

Since it is currently not predetermined, should we decide who will host the next tournament?

Side note: Why can't I delete my own posts anymore? I decided I wanted to add this note on the end of the previous post rather than devote an entire post to it, but I can no longer dispose of this one.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, Jerome estimates he should be back by the end of next May.

TTT

On 8/31/2021 at 7:09 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

As I received each batch of submissions, I compiled them into a private Youtube playlist. Once they were all in, I experimented with order and round arrangement. Ultimately, it was a half-hazard process, but there were a few goals I had in mind. Firstly, I determined to select the opening round and closing feature; the first round serves as the foundation of the tournament, and the ending will influence its retrospective appeal. Beyond that, I confess to a limited degree of "ascending arrangement," in as much as I focused on getting a higher concentration of low-energy pieces toward the front and saving some of the more progression-heavy high-energy pieces for the back. Just as a musical arrangement ideally increases in energy over its duration, I figured the tournament itself would benefit from this consideration. However, I wanted to avoid a round of all low- or high-energy pieces for the most part, so as to create a contrast that would keep each round interesting on its own (I considered the organ solos and the Faith is for the Transient People to be low-energy pieces for their lack of progression). Attempting anything beyond that in terms of "ascension" carried a degree of inherent risk, since such intentions would likely be influenced by my own preferences (and thus subjective); while actively deciding upon the order of presentation, I did not consciously apply any such strategy. That being said, I've noticed in hindsight an unintentional consistency, in as much that each individual participant's submissions were featured in the tournament in what I would consider an ascending order, with the exception of Jerome's. I was not aware of this bias at the time, and cannot be sure it isn't a coincidence, but I like how it turned out nonetheless.

how do you write this? 606563898535051270.png.67a66ec9268b252d324738e7f853438b.png

On 8/31/2021 at 7:12 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

Since it is currently not predetermined, should we decide who will host the next tournament?

might as well set the date
though im not very certain we got enough people

hmm yeah, gonna take a while until the next tourney
we hafta recruit someone to continue anyway

oi Dana, aint there's like one person in your server who comment on every youtube video
*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

maybe i should comment more in Musical Discoveries
i really dunno what to say though

On 8/31/2021 at 7:12 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

Why can't I delete my own posts anymore? I decided I wanted to add this note on the end of the previous post rather than devote an entire post to it, but I can no longer dispose of this one.

yeah you cant delete message after certain amount of time passed
for security options and behavioral control and something like that

actually better if you to post new one since i believe no one here check the topic front page, no more

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Archived