RT6: Revenge of the Remix Tournament

Ken Hisuag

Spoiler

Faith is for the Transient People

It sounds pretty good, but it feels a bit empty to me, and is incredibly close to the original. I think there are some speed changes in there at least, which I appreciate, but other than that there's not much to say about it.

It's not bad, it's just kinda unmemorable. 4/10.

Passport

This is absolutely my jam. The background guitar is just great, and that synth riff is hella fast. These things give it a great driving energy, and then layered with the very pleasant and catchy vocals, and complimented with that piano break in the middle, just makes for an incredibly fun package overall. It's just so fun to listen to! Keine underrated character btw.

Yeh, I really like this song. 8/10.

Mami Mami Bad Funk

This sounds like Funknot. I'm not normally a fan of Funknot, but I kinda enjoy this. I was hooked on the opening, and I like all the different synths used in this, but I do find the use of samples a bit excessive. And then suddenly... lyrics? Sort of?... I'm sorry, but all I can think of is DK rap listening to this bit :KoishiXD:.
I think I'd really like this were it not for the excessive voice samples. As it is, I'll rate it right in the middle, 5/10.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright . . .

1:  Faith is for the Transient People - Quite nice, though I don't feel that there is much added other than the electric guitar.  It works fairly well though.  7/10

2:  Plain Asia vocal (I think) - This is different . . . it's most good, but the occasional rapid electronic sound gets on my nerves.  6/10

3:  Futatsuiwa from Sado - What?  We have a good electronic mix of the theme, pretty faithful to the original and rather good piece, but we also have somebody that shows up and . . . I don't know, starts trying to rap?  What even happened?  4/10

( As I'm sure many have noticed by now, I'm not very good at explaining how I feel about music. )

suddenly! im busy in this past few days, but seems fine, i just dont sleep
and ohgod electro round

Spoiler
Spoiler

Experiment121 - Faith is for the Transient People

aint experimental is.. experimental?
where you try to create something out of standard genre

what's with the straight copies this tourney
although i do hear original supports so yeah i can pass
i do have another complain with the sudden guitar, it scares me

5/10

lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Spoiler

CrazyBeats - Pasporte

despite eurobeat is a bit too much for me
i cant stop laughing, although some meaning is a bit serious but cmon who aint laugh when you heard someone just singing country names.

7/10

kinda sad your country isn't mentioned

Spoiler

Diverse System - Mami Mami Bad Funk

huh, feels too sharp for a funkot, maybe hardbass but the name contains funk.... this stand vaguely between hardbass and funkot.

i confus a lot

6/10

i cant think of anyone in this tournament submitted this

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Sorry I'm late with my responses. Reactions abridged because I listened to these a few days ago.

Faith is for the Transient People:

My favorite part of this one is the touch of bass as the sole harmony line in the bridge sections near the end. It adds a greater variety of tension in the flow of the music.

6/10, decent mix but not standout.

Keine Eurobeat:

I don't listen to eurobeat often, but I have never regretted doing so. A bopper.

8/10 boppin

Mamizou electronica:

Not the most memorable of Futatsuiwa from Sato remixes, but it got me to look up some more (which I'm now wishing I had submitted instead of one of my picks, so it gets a

7.5/10 meme theme

God is my judge.

I may or may not have been haunting this page all day to get this in asap . . .

ROUND 3:

7: Touhou Jihen - OHKAMIYOHOTOKEYO
Funky rock, but not really.

Spoiler

8: vegitotenks2002 - Complete Darkness
Live performance pipe piano.

Spoiler

9: GET IN THE RING - traumatic
Not funky, but really rock.

Spoiler

TTT

emptiness

Spoiler
Spoiler

Touhou Jihen - OHKAMIYOHOTOKEYO

it's pretty catchy, traditional rock always a welcome
i like the Choir(?) part, and the Percussions also nice

im having hard time recognizing the original theme in it, just like other NSY stuff smh.
i only "feel" it at 3:03

we've been having too exact copy and now too original.
why it's so hard

7.2/10

this recommendations line up nicely forming a circle

image.png.b2b639760c625007e20af8082503ebd1.png

Spoiler

vegitotenks2002 - Complete Darkness

whose theme again is this?
again why... carbon copy
please refer back to my comment on septet for the dead princess which have no review basically

i hear minor imperfections but he's doin a live performance so okay
4.5/10

on other note, those 2 probably a nice listen if not because of this a remix tourney

Spoiler

GET IN THE RING - traumatic

i definitely can hear the original theme in this

after all that happened i feel like this is nice

8/10

im always out of comment for 3rd song

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

1. i like rock (in most cases) but this one ain't my type sadly, it's not bad but i just can grip around it and listen to it for more than a few mins, don't get me wrong funky rock in plenty of cases is more than enough for me but this just doesn't hit as hard as some other does

6/10

2. Drunken has a point here, although i'm going to rate it a little higher that's for sure, i really, really (and REALLY) like Complete Darkness and it's played nicely here, i'm not piano expert and i usually don't listen to it much especially when it's solo like in this case but i can say it's decent enough for me

6.5/10

3. oh, i know that song now i recall how could i listen to it quite a bit with loop enabled just because it was good this was also one of the first song i heard from GET IN THE RING so it made a really good first impression on me (later diminished by listening to other stuff) regardless this one's good and mixed along with some a lil older memories so

8/10

Touhou Jihen - OHKAMIYOHOTOKEYO

Spoiler

It was okay. Fun, but I didn't get all that into it.

6/10

vegitotenks2002 - Complete Darkness

Spoiler

I do like the organ performance. I'm not too familiar with Complete Darkness (had to look up what it was), but it's mostly well-executed. Loses points for being a basic arrangement with little remixing.

7/10

GET IN THE RING - traumatic

Spoiler

I actually really liked this one. The vocal performance is stellar, especially the harmonies. Very upbeat.

Also sufficiently different that I'm having trouble pinpointing the melodic inspiration.

9/10 (I really enjoyed it.)

God is my judge.

Sorry for the delay.

1: Touhou Jihen - Not sure what to call this either, but I rather like it.  It has a fun energy to it that reminds me of some Disgaea music.  8/10

2: Complete Darkness - Straightforward, but well performed.  A good piece on a good instrument is a good listen.  8/10

3: Get in the Ring - Fast paced and energetic, and so pretty fun. 8/10

Spoiler

OHKAMIYOHOTOKEYO

Very curious opening, with the oriental parts mixed with modern rock. To me it's pretty chaotic at the start, but it felt promising, and indeed the further it went, the better it got. The vocal parts in this are also super quirky, with got parts that feel sorta like monastic chanting but with rock in the background, and other parts that go all funky, and also parts that are melodic, which is where it starts getting properly good for me. I can't hear Kagerou's theme in this, though...

There's something which feels a bit same-ey throughout the song, but nonetheless this was super interesting to listen to. 7/10

Complete Darkness

No, please don't all start calling it pipe piano...

Woah, this looks difficult... at first I thought the slowdowns were intentional, but now I don't think they are. Sadly the number of mistakes starts increasing further into the piece, but hey, he's doing it live. He clearly knows what he's doing.
Anyway, about the actual music, it's Complete Darkness on piano... what more can I say about it? It's Complete Darkness on piano, and I like that. 6/10

Traumatic

Wow, this has a really good opening hook, a very energetic opening which pretty much sets the pace for the rest of the song. This is some non-stop rock that really doesn't let up. The vocal in this is very anime-feeling, and you can really feel the power when the chorus hits, and also when the opening part is repeated. Overall a very cool song, highly upbeat but also somewhat hardcore. 7/10

ROUND 4:

10: SoggatariaDuätschmatschInc. - Ukrainian Folk for 'A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry'
A pizzicato arrangement with a helpfully self-explanatory title.

Spoiler

11: Stas Gavrik - Kitten of Great Fortune (Ambient Ver.)
Minimalist folk with elements of synth and another self-explanatory title.

Spoiler

12: AQUA STYLE - Six-way
"Folk rock," emphasis on folk, with a title that is not at all explanatory.

Spoiler

TTT

Spoiler
Spoiler

SoggatariaDuätschmatschInc. - Ukrainian Folk for 'A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry'

i haven't listened it when i typing this, i just think "oh cool, ukranian folk!"
and then i saw the arranger name on the title and i kinda bit worried now..
she made uh... Avant-garde stuff

this next is after i listen to it

it starting out nice
but sadly the longer it goes the more chaotic it become
i'd say this one lack of focus, some part blend with one another, some even conflicting.

5.5/10

i had high hopes actually, probably because bias or something

Spoiler

Stas Gavrik - Kitten of Great Fortune (Ambient Ver.)

this actually reminds me of UFO and TD stage 6
wait no, Mound where Flowers reflect from PoFV is the closest one

the first 20 seconds feels too menacing lmao
this does feel ambient, and i just listened to Beach House - Space Song, that probably helps a bit with my mood (yes we've talked about how arbitrary our rating system is)
there's also curious vibes to it, probably came from the original theme.
and 1:42 that background melody thing is cute

this nice actually
aside from i feel the drum kicks is a bit too much hmmmm

7.5/10

full of decimals today eh

Spoiler

AQUA STYLE - Six-way

this very good, pretty solid, cant comment much.
is it middle east-ish? probably just my imagination, ive been wishing them lately.
and it does have a fair share of rock in it.

despite my eternal hate to their goddamn grindy technical precision game

8.2/10

why do i feel ken arranging the music ascending

Ukranian Ground Cherries

I generally like folk arrangements, but this one is so aggressive with the strumming that it almost drowns out the melody. I shouldn't have to put forth effort to follow the tune of a folk song. 4/10

Ambient Kitten

I was first introduced to Stas Gavrik's work when his arrangement of Doremy's LoLK extra theme was featured in an episode of Perldrop's SpriteSplit series. Minimalist/lofi Touhou isn't something I would think I'd like, but the guy pulls it off. 8/10

Six-way

Well, it's folk rock. It works, but I didn't find it very memorable. (Maybe I need to listen to Sumi's theme more.) 7/10

God is my judge.

1. hmm that's something new and while it starts pretty decent it gets repetitive way too fast (i don't mind repetitive songs and in some cases may even prefer them) but this is too much i appreciate unique idea but that ain't for me

5/10

2. this one's quite good, maybe not to bang your head to but i could really see it as some mysterious (forest-ish perhaps) location in some game it feels quite calming and soothing thus why

7.5/10

3. oh no it's another folk-ish climate, and i bet it's a one of Genso Wanderer games ost but it doesn't sound that bad, i'm not that familiar with Sumireko's theme but

7/10

Spoiler

A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry

This started out interesting. I thought it would get really good actually, I start to hear the melody breaking out and I expect some kind of change any minute... and then that change just never comes.

...That being said, I actually still kinda like this, and on subsequent listening I warm up more to it now that I know what to expect. I like that it has this sort of magical aura. But I also think that, as it is, it's a bit boring.

Rating this was difficult, but I think 6/10 is fair.

Kitten of Great Fortune (Ambient Ver.)

Nice, I like Stas Gavrik's ambient remixes.

I have mixed feelings about this one. Normally these songs are very relaxed, but this one actually feels strangely energetic with the percussion. It is still ambient, but that high-pitched ding is kinda just drilling into mind and taking me out of the moment. If it weren't for that I'd say it makes a sort of fun ambience, maybe curious like Drunken said. So actually I like that it's strangely energetic, it's pretty different. It's just that ding noise is so piercing it's sadly destroying it for me.

I will still give it a 7/10 though.

Six-way

Wait, I just realised that, intentionally or not, this is the folk round.

The way the folk and rock elements are intertwined here is awesome. It's both energetic and atmospheric. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but I also love all these small flourishes with the flute that are layered over what's already happening, and it adds interest to this really solid repeating part with the electric guitar that it keeps coming back to. Also, 2:02 is basically like a metal breakdown but with folk instruments, and that's cool.

Overall this is a very cool song with a great choice of instruments, it's got a pretty unique atmosphere. 9/10.

Sorry for taking so long.

1: Folk Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry - Hmm, I had to listen to this one a few times to come to a solid place about it.  It's a got a really interesting tone, that sort of slight mystery and melancholy mixed together (at least to me).  It's not a very active piece though, in that there isn't a feeling of lot happening despite there being plenty going on musically.  It feels more like a background kind of piece than for active listening, and I quite like it as such.  I do feel like there's a degree of the notes running into each other as the piece goes on, but I'm not sure if it's intentional or not.  Either way, I don't think it detracts from the piece.  8.5/10

2: Kitten of great Fortune - Hmm, similar in a few ways to the previous, but I have to admit that I find this one simpler.  Not a bad thing in and of itself, but doesn't leave as much to talk about. 7/10

3: Folk Rock Occultism - Now this is nice.  A nice, driving beat provided by strings and percussion, and driving melody with pipes, with strings sometimes stepping in for dramatic effect.  Makes me feel very much like a casual battle theme in a JRPG, which is very good. 9/10

ROUND 5:

13: Rolling Contract - On My Own
Officially, the 100th Moriya Shrine Remix Tournament feature.

Spoiler

14: Shinra-Bansho - Hymn of Haniwa
Shinra-Bansho without the animated music video. The lyrics are recorded somewhere.

Spoiler

15: logical emotion - Lullaby of Deserted Hell
Something different.

Spoiler

TTT

Spoiler

On my Own

What? There's no way we've listened to 100 of these...

This took me completely by surprise. It sounds a lot like Stas Gavrik's work, but it has vocals. And they're really nice together. This has a heavy industrial/futuristic atmosphere to it, and unlike past rolling contact stuff here, I can actually hear the theme it's based on, which is a big plus. I seriously like this. 9/10.

Hymn of Haniwa

So... Shinra-Bansho but it's metal? It certainly still has that fun vibe that Shinra-Bansho do, curtesy mostly of the vocals. The instrumentation on the other hand is pretty intense, and it provides this driving forward momentum that serves to both amplify the rough feel of the whole metal side, and also provide energy to the fun vocals. Also, suddenly marching.

Another one I really like, 8/10. I'm curious to know how different this would sound without the vocals.

Lullaby of Deserted Hell

Really nice piano, with supporting bass and percussion that result in certified chill vibes. It's a pretty linear adaptation of the original, but I'm pretty sure the speed went up and down at points which made it a bit more interesting. Also just generally really good and relaxed instrumentation, and it keeps up a rather high tempo overall actually, so it has this kind leisurely energy to it. 8/10.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Rolling Contract - On My Own
yoo this is very new, just a month ago released.
and the video posted 2 days after release smh.

i definitely can hear touhou in it, shocking!
it's Bell of Avicii if im not mistaken.

overall it's nice, but
1:50-2:26 this part kinda irks me since i was expecting the climax here after the drop.
that part also kinda hard to listen, i just skipped it and that feels good.
yeah the synthwave-ey after that is great

8/10

hmm, that album also include the th18 themes, i havent give em a proper listen
i played this time but aint focusing on that

wait... i said something similar last tourney, but it was still demo... right?
and i shoulda put this comment on mike's theme but st1 is easily recognizable

Spoiler

Shinra-Bansho - Hymn of Haniwa

where lyrics? i expected it had been done considering the hype.
wait what i can understand! I HAVE THE POWER!

this an absolute banger
the vocal feels like traditional japanese poet(?) which is always nice.
and the chant(?) marching also feels fun
i have no complain

8.5/10

im trying to remember hanipaganda in my head to compare this

kinda sad that Joutoujin of Ceramics ranked 91st in last poll
well yes it decent and would be a hard climb but i hoped it would be better

Keiki's ranked 4th which is mindblowing

Spoiler

logical emotion - Lullaby of Deserted Hell

it's clean, well balanced
basically nice

i dunno what to say, Lullaby of Deserted Hell itself is nice
even for the original i still put it competitively with the arranges

kinda hard to rate this in relation with other music in the tournament

8.2/10

image.png.58e1a5cbce77d047f2cd631fd9b64957.png

1. Ahh, This Rolling Contact album is really something and it's hard to comeby in 2hu music which is already kind of accomplishment considering how wide 2hu arranges variety goes this (and whole album honestly) feels really good to chill with it's synths tickling your ears and also it's Infinite Nightmare  

9/10

2. This is quite nice and classical to Shinra Bansho Ayaponzu vocal this has quite the instrumentation (?) for a metal track and vocal is quite nice, not a super fan of theme (it's probably just me but i prefered older touhou themes waaay more than more recent ones) at first i expected it to be Hanipaganda rip off ngl but it turned out to be decent on it's own

7.5/10

3. And this one plays quite nicely too but it's a little not in my "go to zone" i usually avoid purely acoustic arrangements (unless acoustic support is a part of something bigger so precisely plays as a support not a main dish)
so i'm probably going to rate it as mediocre to me (also, hey it's a Lullaby of Deserted Hell so)

6/10

1: On my own - A rather fun one, despite being not quite my style.  The music and voice usually blend well, though some of the electronic gets too loud and overpowers the rest of the music. 8.5/10

2: Shinra Bansho - Another one that is simply fun (and funny in it's own way), energetic is definitely the word for it.  Kind of odd that, for no appearant reason, there's something I know from C&C stuck in the middle of it? 8/10

3: Lullaby of a Deserted Hell - Pretty close to the original, but more instrumentation and focus on the sort of nostalgic melancholy of the original.  It's good, though frequent use of the piece. 7.5/10

On Jerome's behalf:

On 8/13/2021 at 10:28 PM, Crusader Jerome said:

13. On My Own

There some good stuff to be said for the synth pad work and vocal performance; the Engrish isn't understandable, but it sure sounds good. However, the majority of the song is alternatelt interspersed or overlaid with dubstep and square wave patterns that squander what could have been an enjoyable song. The first 45 seconds and the short section at 3:10 are a pleasure to listen to, but the techno mixing doesn't allow the song to go anywhere with that theme.

5/10

Joutounin of Ceramics

This song really grew on me as I was listening. The variety of the vocals for multiple voices to the energy of the chorus, even the military cheerleader section at the end. Furthermore, the tone and progression of the song give the sense that it's telling a story, which no other mix so far in this tournament has done. I like this one a lot.

8.9/10

Logical emotion

Ooh, marasy piano with some chill lofi beats? Sign me the heck up.

I enjoy the lightly altered chord progression compared to the original song. Overall, similar to the original, but I don't mind since Marasy does good work with slight improvisation.

8.5/10

TTT

Final round!

ROUND 6:

16: The Fiery Joker - Flandre's Theme (U.N. Owen Was Her?!) Organ Arrangement
One organ to rule them all.

Spoiler

17: Melodic Taste - Oriental Heaven of Scarlet Perception
Let the hunt begin.

Spoiler

18: TsuBaKi - silenced majority
A worthy conclusion.

Spoiler

TTT

On 8/13/2021 at 10:50 PM, Crusader Jerome said:

U.N. Owen Was Her

Huh, 3 for 3 of vanilla organ arrangements. Wasn't expecting it. It's a decent arrangement, but it loses points because vanilla in a remix tournament.

6/10

Epic Fighting Game Credits Theme

Well, Melodic Taste has certainly filled Tutti Sound's shoes. (I didn't see the 'epic' descriptor at first, so I was in for a slight shock when the beat dropped.) Somewhat more chaotic than I expect from orchestral suites, but this one is quite moving. I think it's my favorite so far this tourney.

9.3/10

PoFV Medley

I kind of wish I could like this one more. It has a lot of good parts; multiple good themes, good instrumental with chiptunes for spice, and competent rock for a base. However, it feels too long, and other parts have to make do with being loud and repetetive.

7.2/10

TTT

Spoiler
Spoiler

The Fiery Joker - Flandre's Theme (U.N. Owen Was Her?!) Organ Arrangement
GAahHhhh!!!

y'know i had retaliationship with UN Owen
im wahsing away my burnout ok, but it just so hard
gimme 5 years or so

also another organ? 3 of em? uhh who?

4/10

i got blisters on my ?????

wait what that music on the end that sound nice

Spoiler

Melodic Taste - Oriental Heaven of Scarlet Perception

on the other hand, y'all might know i love SWR themes

i thought the opening was kalm and suddenly caught me off guard.
Orchestral is very delicate i dunno how to comment.
there's lot of up and downs in this piece, i dunno if i like that, but also kinda like it.
although some part feels a bit short

8/10

Spoiler

on other note, no relation to the music, I recognize... no... way more than recognize.
I love, adore, worship that Tenshi design (minus the armor, that wasn't there). Tenco, some may call her.
i recommend read the doujin Tenco's Story 【天子の旅】from Sirakannnu or just Kannnu
that is so good

Spoiler

TsuBaKi - silenced majority

NO why! who put this here WHY! this one is too good
although id say i prefer the off-vocal version, j-just a teeny bit more.

also where lyrics?

unusual for me that i like the long slow start, bias maybe?
i especially love the bit at 1:24. and the guitar is lit, love that heavy kind of guitar.
the vocal at 3:04 5:02 and 7:47 feels a bit outta place for some reason, maybe not powerful enough.
or Riverside View doesn't fit too well with Another Dream. hmmmmmmmm

9/10

too bad tsubaki only sell physical disk at events, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Archived