RT6: Revenge of the Remix Tournament

Ken Hisuag

It has been the standard approximated two-and-a-half months: the time has come for another remix tournament!

Spoiler

As usual, submissions will be open for the next sevenish days. Each participant shall submit three remixes via Messages. The tournament itself shall consist of rounds of three remixes each, with each participant reviewing entries in their preferred manner of numbering system and commentary; rating of participant's own submissions is not discouraged, but will not affect the final score. Once all submissions have been featured and reviewed, the ratings shall be tallied to determine the "winner." Anyone and everyone is invited!

If there are any questions, feel free to inquire! Also, referencing previous tournaments is advised, though not required.

[Current] Participants:
@Crusader Jerome
@buskerdog
@Dana Iclucia
@jssf1992
@Drunken_Flower

TTT

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 5/9/2021 at 5:26 PM, Dana Iclucia said:

however i wouldn't mind if someone would DM me on discord when it happens because i can miss it when it's announced only on site and i 100% won't miss it on discord (my profile should be on my userpage iirc)

As I do not have Discord, would someone else please ensure this request is fulfilled?

TTT

Yo, I'm within 3 hours of the remix tournament announcement!

also, how do these always come at the perfect time?

23 minutes ago, Crusader Jerome said:

I got you fam

I was gonna do this but then I guess Jerome commented while I was still on this page

Let it begin.

Round 1:

1: kaoruko - Jester of the Star Spangled Banner
A medieval folk arrangement.

Spoiler

2: Strange Days - Septet for the Dead Princess
Solo for the pipe organ.

Spoiler

3: Liz Triangle - Blue Moon
Vocal rock/metal, lyrics provided.

Spoiler

TTT

ohno i just realized
ken is the host
now we have no one that gives indepth review...
wait there's one more guy, we rooting on you busker!

Spoiler
Spoiler

kaoruko - Jester of the Star Spangled Banner

uh... I have complaints
this theme is simply too intense for bard arrangement
the opening for example, I dunno harp(?) can do such sound

00:27-00:53 is nice, this how I like my folk to be.
1:20 I hear a bit of clipping, I doubt those crackle noises are intentional since it doesn't make sense in medieval style.
1:45 this nice, seems to improve overtime

this sound like a carbon copy, but I hear some improved supporting melodies so that kinda helps.
actually, Im more interested in the supporting melodies instead of the main one.

also I just realized they use roman number instead of latin
V/X

who previously posted medieval touhou?

Spoiler

Strange Days - Septet for the Dead Princess

oh? we having independent(?)novice(?)obscure(?) uh... SMALL arranger round?

sadly I cant say much about this one
another carbon copy
doesn't work well in a remix tourney
well yes it's an organ, fitting for a vampire, but still

4/10

no i won't say anything about the title

Spoiler

Liz Triangle - Blue Moon

this a sudden change
surf rock? quite an unusual genre for touhou
though I cant say that after the medieval bardstyle touhou

I uh... outta comment... must think!
the guitar is lit!
and there's translation, but for some reason I fail to comprehend the meaning of this song.. so yeah

8/10

this reminds me noe eno hasnt said anything since end of 2019

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

All right, let's get cracking!

Star-Spangled Jester

Spoiler

I'm a big sucker for bardcore instrumentation, even if it sometimes swings toward modern use of percussion to mimic the feel of certain songs. I think that's what's going on here. It does have a vanilla sound to it, since it's mostly a direct adaptation of the midi with different soundfonts, but there is a significant difference in which parts are highlighted, due to the lack of electric guitar for the melody. The main melody is more subdued, allowing the harmonic counterpoint to come out, which is an effect you don't get in the original song.

7/10 since this is a remix contest, would rate higher but as Drunken_Flower said, it's fairly vanilla.

Pipe Organ Septet

Spoiler

This is basically the arrangement of this song which I play on piano, except that the "left hand" harmony is moved up an octave in traditional organ style. I've noticed that organ arrangements don't use the lower notes for alternating patterns very often, only for the extended single notes that make your gut vibrate.

I do notice the rather slow start and gradual acceleration to full speed through the opening bars. It's a stylistic choice, though not a particularly remarkable one.

4/10 too vanilla. It's good listening, though.

Blue Moon

Spoiler

though why does it use Red Hecatia in the picture instead of blue?

Anyway, this one is fun. It's not particularly hgh-energy as vocal performances go, but it's very smooth, and the artist sounds like she's having fun.

Accompaniment is repetitive, no instrumental solo, which could be a missed opportunity, but maybe it wouldn't fit with the tone and pace of the song.

Lyrics are unnecessarily edgy, as is Touhou vocal cover tradition.

7/10 Not the kind of thing I'd listen to often, but it scores high on the "remix" count. I wouldn't mind more from the artist.

(Actually, more on that picture. I gotta say it--this Hecatia has a jacked left bicep. You can't unsee it.)

God is my judge.

8 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

ken is the host
now we have no one that gives indepth review...
wait there's one more guy, we rooting on you busker!

bruh, way to put the pressure on.

I kinda want to go a bit easier on myself for the music commentary this time, so perhaps a bit less depth than usual, but I'll do my best.

Spoiler

Jester of the Star Spangled Banner

Wasn't super sure with how this would go at the beginning but once the flute started I got a lot more into it. There's some nice atmospheric haha space pun mood changes in there which give it some progression, even if the changes feel a little randomly spaced, and I love the bit just before 2 minutes with all those different layering parts. The whole piece stays pretty close to the original, but there's a lot of added flair in there. Good ending too. 

Maybe I'm rating a notch too high given it's the start of the tournament, but damn I like it, 7/10.

Septette for a Dead Princess

I'm correcting the spelling of the title. You can't stop me.

So, we're sticking to ye olde ages, are we? Futo would be proud.

This one started good, but it gets really messy towards the climax of the song. I feel like Septette for the Dead Princess on organ should work on paper, but there's just too much going on here. Also wtf that ending note came out of nowhere???

Sadly, 3/10.

Blue Moon

f a s t  g u i t a r

Now this, has some real funky bass. I'm a fan of the clapping, too. I feel like the vocals are carrying the melody pretty hard in this one, not that there's always anything wrong that, but in this instance I feel like they could have done a bit more with the instrumentation. Overall still a strong arrangement though. 6/10.

3 hours ago, Crusader Jerome said:

I gotta say it--this Hecatia has a jacked left bicep. You can't unsee it.

She's holding the EARTH in that hand, what d' you expect?
Now the real question is, how much does hell weigh?

1. Folk is usually pretty good shoot for me when it comes to calmer music this one is pretty decent too honestly and considering that it's one of two themes from LoLK i can remember clearly so, wouldn't listen to this as daily routine but occasionally, yes

7/10

2. This on other hand, piano was never my thing on itself (difference is when it's works as addition in other songs) especially pipe piano which i probably consider even worse than your usual piano, isn't that bad but could be much better, still not my grounds tho

6.5/10

3. More rock than metal imo, i never was really fan of liz triangle either but ngl it's maybe second or third song i've ever heard from them (but i'm usually not too big fan of pop either but that depends) this one is LoLK again huh, i like the vocal and also 3:06 that solo was actually pretty good reassuming, this one is rather winner of this round for me

7.5/10

Star Spangled Jester:

Hmm, fairly good.  There are a few times near the start that the pitch is too high and hits the irritating area, but otherwise a decent piece all around.  A nice set of instruments and used rather well.    7.5/10

The septette in organ

Which is a combination of two wonderful things.  Sadly, it's pretty straightforward, not really any deviation from the original piece, and . . . not the best performance, as on more than a few occasions I can't help but notice the notes running together.     7.5/10 sadly due to the performance.

Blue moon 

This one is curious.  I think I detect a few different styles, or at least some different instrument choices than one would expect for a rock piece.  It still has the nice 'spooky fun' vibe that Pandemonic Planet has, and I think the voice mixed well with it, but I can't say much on it otherwise.     7/10

10 hours ago, Dana Iclucia said:

pipe piano

. . . this choice of words hurts me . . .

ROUND 2:

4: Experiment121 - Faith is for the Transient People
MIDI mix. What does "experimental" mean?

Spoiler

5: CrazyBeats - Pasporte
World tour eurobeat. Japanese and romaji lyrics are available.

Spoiler

6: Diverse System - Mami Mami Bad Funk
I don't have a precise genre for this; title says "electronica," which is fair. I don't know if I'd call this vocal, but there are lyrics.

Spoiler

TTT

12 minutes ago, Ken Hisuag said:

I don't have a precise genre for this; title says "electronica," which is fair. I don't know if I'd call this vocal, but there are lyrics.

i don't have enough time to rate rn but gotta clarify real fast. This one's called Funkot (which also tends to be sampled really hard that's why uploader said vocal perhaps) from Funky Kota House and "Electronica" is just a mistake of uploader

1 hour ago, Ken Hisuag said:

What does "experimental" mean?

I'm subscribed to the guy on Youtube, and while he has a distinct style, it seems to be either flavor text or a nod to how he's making the instrumentation up as he goes.

God is my judge.

8 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

It's a general term for electronic-based music

as far as i recall electronica is just "unusual" electronic music so not exactly something you would listen to in a club or during a party

example: 

in my opinion when it's done by experienced artist it may turn out goddamn amazing just like this one above

8 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

so I wouldn't call it a mistake

and by that i just meant that i wouldn't really count funkot as electronica (at least that's how it is for me)

and now about my rates because we got offtopic a little

1. Surprisingly this one hits quite hard, i really could see it used in some kind of fangame it just has that vibes of Faith is for Transient People which i like quite a bit when it comes to originals (i also quite like the claps here)

8/10

2. oh, it's Tsukasa i remember how i adored Sound Online circle mostly because her but after it got disbanded (?) i really stopped looking further for her works.
now i'm not huge fan of eurobeat in most cases despise it's a electronic music however that would be quite good for some more intense and fast paced games also vocal is quite good

7.5/10

3. now about funkot, it's quite simple music usually not complicated and with a lot of sampling, it doesn't even seem that hard to do when you know what are you doing honestly, however in this case i would say simple can be much better than complicated, it's just that something what causes that i can listen to funkot all the time and it's not even that it's catchy as heck, i just can't explain it

9/10

Archived