I'm making an Ubuntu image dedicated to playing Touhou.

Okay so long story short, I got trolled by a video on YouTube saying that "TouhouBuntu" was a thing. It was a lie, so now I'm making it real.

To be clear, I know very little about programming and I only know C64 BASIC and Batch, so I'm using a program called Cubic to do the programming for me.

This project is not an OS made from the ground up, but rather a customized Ubuntu installer that I plan to have 2 main features: It comes with Touhou 6 (probably the demo for legal reasons) and the starting web page is Moriya Shrine. Oh, and the wallpaper is Touhou related as well. (Just something I found on Wallpaperflare, credit to the original artist.)

The first hurdle I'm facing is how I can get Firefox to default to Moriya Shrine before I install it.
Maybe I can copy-paste a script and put it on the Desktop?

And the second hurdle I'm facing is how I can customize the installer itself. Is there like a file I can access from within Cubic or something?
Or maybe I can get someone to make an installer and I can write the text on the setup page.

I'm going to start testing now, except for the whole installing thing. I can't afford to wipe my OS right now (at least, I think so.)

I'll post a link when available.

Here is the first release of TouhouBuntu 1.0: Sakuya!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17OZBQ2X3ZOpUFow0dH6mLuTB4PP_JKll/view?usp=sharing

It should have some stuff on the desktop, a wallpaper or two, and even a Terminal assistant!

I like this idea lol

Gonna try something similar with arch, but in addition with configured for touhou wine.

Also I will be using just a window manager (didn't decide which one yet), without desktop environment, so I can make it maximally touhou themed with things like polybar.

Would also try making the entire system controllable with a gamepad, but idk how yet.

And for browser: I don't suggest you changing the default home page, most Linux users don't like it, customize and make it touhou-themed instead.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is how I can have the installer put folders onto the Desktop. I know nothing about making an installer, so maybe there's a tool out there that will help with that.

This isn't going to be under active development, it's just a hobby I'm doing. Hopefully this will help me learn more about Linux as I go on.

(Also, I might have to ask someone else to customize the installer, because there's no way I can do this myself.)

I just had an idea.

What if TouhouBuntu had Sakuya as a desktop assistant, like Microsoft Clippy, or Bonzi- actually no, not Bonzi Buddy.

Anyway, what if the installer asked if the user was male or female, which would effect whether Sakuya called you Master or Mistress? I have no idea how to do that, so if anyone is smart enough to do something like that, let me know. (You don't have to. I'm not your mom.)

So Instead of a Desktop assistant, I made a Terminal assistant. What's supposed to happen is that you are given 4 choices. Three of them open an app, the other exits the shell.

None of them work, and I get an infinite loop of Sakuya telling me she can't do anything.

Here it is if anyone wants to take a look.

Sakuya.sh

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/17/2021 at 2:34 AM, FiliStradivarius said:

So Instead of a Desktop assistant, I made a Terminal assistant. What's supposed to happen is that you are given 4 choices. Three of them open an app, the other exits the shell.

None of them work, and I get an infinite loop of Sakuya telling me she can't do anything.

Here it is if anyone wants to take a look.

Sakuya.sh 1.21 kB · 2 downloads

pls look at what i changed (the edit starts after the first "if" statm), compare to the original file you created, and learn something new idk im trying to be helpful
hope you get it

have a nice day

Sakuya.sh

• 5 months later...

I'm finally working on a new debug build of Touhoubuntu in Cubic, so I can experiment with getting a new default wallpaper on startup, and with trying to get files in /etc/skel to actually appear on the Desktop instead of the Home directory.

Another cool thing I would like to have is a setup screen with custom artwork on it, but I can't code for the life of me, and I'm not exactly a whiz at Linux yet. Maybe someone can make some art for the slides at the install screen and can tell me how to put them into the installer. I know basically nothing about installer programs (or just programs in general outside of Commodore BASIC. And even then, I can only to very simple programs.)

Oh well. It's not like it needs a custom install screen. Anyways, I might post the Debug build (by Debug, I mean I just installed random crap and fiddled around with files for testing purposes) when my internet data resets on the 15th. That way it might actually be safe to upload stuff without going over my 100GB data limit. (For those wondering, I live out in the middle of nowhere now with only satellite internet.)

Also, thanks to XSH for fixing my Shell file. I haven't taken a look at it yet (or maybe I did and I just forgot) so I'll have to re-learn Batch/Shell scripting so I can fully understand what changes were made.

As for what the Debug build is for? Well, I'm gonna use it to get rid of Gnome and install Xubuntu in it's place. Then I'll install Cubic on the build and make the next version on the Debug build. Heck, I might even include a script that installs TwisterUI so you can to whatever the heck you want with the desktop, cause let's face it; Stock Ubuntu isn't very reliable if you want to do something simple like create a file/folder with a right click.

~FiliStradivarius.

Archived