Yet another newbie arrives to the Human Village

Hello there!

After some years of being with an on-and-off relationship with Touhou I have finally decided I would like to take my playing seriously and work my way up from the basic basics. Even after biting more than I could chew in the past or being terrified of the insane skills of the top players (and being shamed) I still came back to attempting to play like an idiot, so I figured out deep down I enjoyed playing Touhou. Maybe bullet hells in general. But guess I never knew where to start.

I have never 1CC nor finished with continues any Touhou entries before :_) If I recall correctly, I managed to 1CC the first Len'en game (if anyone here knows those), Evanescent Existence, on Normal. Lately I felt the need to come back to Touhou again, and I got gifted TH16 HSIFS but I got burnt out and now I wonder if it wasn't a very good place to start (most probably). Now I'm into playing CAVE's Deathsmiles as I need to satisfy the craving of the pew pew pew even if I suck because I  n e e d  t o.

And that's pretty much it. Aside from starting from zero and seeking some guidance I would love to meet more people working towards the same goal and be able to share the love for the PEW PEW PEW.

Glad to be here :3 !

Don't feel intimidated by the skill of others. Just enjoy the game really. There are some games even I can't beat on easy.

Btw +rep for Psychonauts squirrel.

33 minutes ago, Sci said:

Don't feel intimidated by the skill of others. Just enjoy the game really. There are some games even I can't beat on easy.

Btw +rep for Psychonauts squirrel.

Thank you for the reassurance, hearing it from another player really helps. There is no point if there is no fun involved, so I shouldn't beat myself up for failing so much when everyone starts somewhere and take it at my own pace.

OMG YOU RECOGNIZED MY PROFILE PIC hello there fellow Psychonauts fan :AyaSmug:

Greetings there! Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll like it here.

Best entry point for Touhou? Well, not counting the PC-98 games (1-5) I played them mostly in order, so I always suggest starting with 6 or 8, 6 also being a personal favourite of mine. But then again I also feel like "StARt WiTH tOuHOu 6" is a small brain opinion that everyone says, so feel free to ignore me.

I guess best advice I can give for enjoying the games is, if you can't 1cc one of them it's fine to move on to another. You can always come back to it later once you've improved. Or just leave it. I certainly haven't 1cc'd every game on normal. And at the moment I'm super rusty at the PEW PEW PEW anyway.

3 hours ago, buskerdog said:

Greetings there! Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll like it here.

Best entry point for Touhou? Well, not counting the PC-98 games (1-5) I played them mostly in order, so I always suggest starting with 6 or 8, 6 also being a personal favourite of mine. But then again I also feel like "StARt WiTH tOuHOu 6" is a small brain opinion that everyone says, so feel free to ignore me.

I guess best advice I can give for enjoying the games is, if you can't 1cc one of them it's fine to move on to another. You can always come back to it later once you've improved. Or just leave it. I certainly haven't 1cc'd every game on normal. And at the moment I'm super rusty at the PEW PEW PEW anyway.

Thank you!

I was going to ask if the PC-98 entries were beginner-friendly, but I guess I should stick to the Windows ones for now. I think I will go back to EOSD and start from there and try to face my mortal enemy Sakuya once more stage 5 bosses make me cry, but avoiding being stubborn to the point of frustration like you advise, no need to suffer more than necessary. Maybe I can jump in and out between 6 and 8 too scared to even touch PCB at the moment.

20 hours ago, The squirrel that goes nyoom said:

Hello there!

After some years of being with an on-and-off relationship with Touhou I have finally decided I would like to take my playing seriously and work my way up from the basic basics. Even after biting more than I could chew in the past or being terrified of the insane skills of the top players (and being shamed) I still came back to attempting to play like an idiot, so I figured out deep down I enjoyed playing Touhou. Maybe bullet hells in general. But guess I never knew where to start.

I have never 1CC nor finished with continues any Touhou entries before :_) If I recall correctly, I managed to 1CC the first Len'en game (if anyone here knows those), Evanescent Existence, on Normal. Lately I felt the need to come back to Touhou again, and I got gifted TH16 HSIFS but I got burnt out and now I wonder if it wasn't a very good place to start (most probably). Now I'm into playing CAVE's Deathsmiles as I need to satisfy the craving of the pew pew pew even if I suck because I  n e e d  t o.

And that's pretty much it. Aside from starting from zero and seeking some guidance I would love to meet more people working towards the same goal and be able to share the love for the PEW PEW PEW.

Glad to be here :3 !

PCB is a very good start point

Archived