Alstroemeria Record's "Bad Apple" Synthesizer Information

marchkarcz

Hi, I'm not sure how many people can help me with this, or if anyone will care, but it's worth a shot.

A bit of context, I first discovered Alstroemeria Record's "Bad Apple" way before I knew what Touhou was. I think I discovered the song in 2017, and was obsessed with the song at the time. In the back of my mind I've always wanted to find the synthesizers used in the song, mostly so I could play certain parts on my keyboard, listen to things solo, etc. Fast forward 4 years and Bad Apple had a resurgence. When I listened to it again for the first time in a while, this want for synthesizer presets came back to me, and now that I had the means, I went looking.

For the past three or so weeks I have been searching for synthesizers (and more recently, searching through those synthesizers presets). Via a Video Game Music discord, I was given the synthesizers that Masayoshi Minoshima, the composer, uses or used in the past.

- Native Instruments Massive https://twitter.com/M_Minoshima/status/540633646428745728

- Native Instruments FM8 (suggested to look into it)

- reFX Nexus https://twitter.com/M_Minoshima/status/540633646428745728

- Steinberg Halion https://twitter.com/M_Minoshima/status/192026802988920832

- Lennar Digital Sylenth1 https://twitter.com/M_Minoshima/status/590253694463115265

I'm asking anyone out there who's interested, willing, and has any of these synthesizers to help me look through them, or if anyone knows any information on synthesizers or synthesizer presets used, to put them here. I've only been able to look through a little bit of Massive, FM8 and Halion. I've also contacted Minoshima at his email address asking for any information in a Japanese+English email when I started, but received no reply.

I have found one thing in Native Instruments Massive, which I'll attach here. (Native Instruments Massive - Sat).

BA_Original_Part.mp3 BA_NI_Massive_Sat_Part.mp3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm kinda curious about this as well.

I haven't found anything on my own yet, but will continue looking through these synths for patches that were used in the song.

Did you ever get a response back from Minoshima about this? Because I'm also curious about the samples used in this track, which I suspect are Vengeance, considering I found a somewhat similar sounding loop to the main drum beat in Essential House Vol.3 a while back, which I've attached for reference. It may not be the actual loop used, but the elements here sound similar to me. It's also possible that a loop wasn't used at all, and the beat was instead constructed completely from one-shot samples too.

VEH3_Housebeats_128BPM_03.wav

Hey, sorry for a late response, I forgot about this post.

Unfortunately I never received a response back from Minoshima. I may try following-up in case he just missed the email, and hopefully he'll respond to that.

I'm having a bit of a hard time seeing the similarity in that .wav file you attached, and I'm leaning more towards the beat being constructed completely from one-shot samples. However, I did some looking on his twitter again, and it does seem like he has Vengeance, or at the very least mentions it:

https://twitter.com/M_Minoshima/status/146926277629198336

Honestly a good way to check if he has something may be checking his twitter for certain synths/sample packs, using Twitters search advanced (My query was "vengeance (from:M_Minoshima)", without the quotes).

I haven't found anything new either, but I'm still interested and looking through the synths I have.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:19 PM, Subtrot said:

Hey, I'm kinda curious about this as well.

I haven't found anything on my own yet, but will continue looking through these synths for patches that were used in the song.

Did you ever get a response back from Minoshima about this? Because I'm also curious about the samples used in this track, which I suspect are Vengeance, considering I found a somewhat similar sounding loop to the main drum beat in Essential House Vol.3 a while back, which I've attached for reference. It may not be the actual loop used, but the elements here sound similar to me. It's also possible that a loop wasn't used at all, and the beat was instead constructed completely from one-shot samples too.

VEH3_Housebeats_128BPM_03.wav 327 kB · 0 downloads

• 5 months later...

Hey! I'm coming back to update this thread, as a friend of mine has actually found one of the drum loops used in the track. It was in EastWest Breakz From The Nu Skool. I've attached the loop here for reference. I haven't gone through the whole library yet to see if any other loops from it were used, but when/if I do, I'll add more here.

125_Vocoder_Freak.mp3

Archived