Touhou on Raspberry Pi.

FiliStradivarius

I'm playing Touhou on a Raspberry Pi 400, and I can safely say that it works.

Except the text. The text for some reason doesn't like the ARM architecture on a Pi, and the fact I'm using Box86 and Wine together means that some errors are inevitable. I'm essentially converting Windows software to Linux, and converting it again to ARM from x86.

I know Pytouhou exists, but it's not finished. Bombs aren't even implemented. Now, if someone could suggest an environment for Linux dedicated to running Touhou (6 to 10), like using Qemu, that would probably fix the broken text on a Pi. Or maybe a mod or something.

How this started was, I was playing Ginka Densetsu Sapphire on my Pi Zero with an arcade joystick one day, and then I was like "Wouldn't it be cool to play Touhou like this?"

Then an idea sparked in my head. I could make a Touhou arcade cabinet! I have the cabinet I made in shop class, so I thought I was halfway done.
But NOPE! So it turns out that Linux god hates me, and I spent several weeks trying to get Touhou 6 (my favorite game in the series) running on my 1GB Raspberry Pi 4 with the help of Twister OS.

Whenever I reinstalled the OS, it would work fine, but after messing around it stopped working.

Fast forward to today, and I have Touhou 6 running on my 4GB Raspberry Pi 400. 6 works great, although the physics aren't accurate, and all the games after that just freeze the system after a while.

One day, I saw a video labeled "Touhoubuntu" which supposedly was an OS dedicated to running Touhou. That was it. It was the OS I needed in my life!
So I clicked on the video and it turned out to be joke video.

And that got me thinking, what if I could make this a reality? Maybe by playing on Ubuntu, the OS will have the text work.

Long story short, no. Now I'm wondering if I can use a virtual machine like QEMU to emulate windows XP or 98 or whatever 6 runs on, thereby getting rid of the stubborn text problem.
Or just wait for someone to make a mod or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it's a hassle. Having text on a Raspberry Pi is a lost cause, and Touhoubuntu will never be a reality.

I guess I'll make my own then...

2021-05-09_22-04.thumb.png.8d528d9002ce1565bc45947c71b7ccfe.png

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present TouhouBuntu running on my Linux laptop. Every single main-line game on the desktop, and even a Sakuya wallpaper! (I just put the hotbar on the side and called it Ubuntu.)

EDIT: Screenshot taken with FlaaaaameSHOT! (Yeah, it's a Legend of Dragoon reference in the form of an app.)

Yes,It is my raspberry pi 4b 4GB.

I got an idea just now,you see,

it usually takes more than 1GB to run TOUHOUproject after th06.

So I suggest you use ZRAM to expand the RAM of your RPI4,maybe it can help you...

• 3 months later...

Archived