wait, im last?
oh nay, Jssf haven't replied

also welcome hell, new soul.

Spoiler

Gensokyo, Past and Present ~ Flower Land

i feel like we have Tokyo Active NEETs in every tournament lol, but it's not
how peculiar
who usually post Active NEETs?

can't comment much on this one, y'know the usual Active NEETs vibes which i already talked before(?).
although my point of view for Jazz is more like to the Lounge, Blues.
i still can't understand the range of Jazz stuff
at the very least i say this pretty nice.

6/10

im not biased since Yuuka is my number 2,
not because her theme tho.

(now you question where does Suika ranked in my list)

nomico - Dreaming

the upload quality aint that great
i move to newer uploads, just search in youtube

this pretty nice actually, i can see myself listening this in some occasion.
quite counter intuitive but for some reason aint like the 2hu part, the Maiden Capricio part, 2:24 lel
i cant think why
7/10

TashMusicCircle - paraguas

lol i'll send this to my paraguayan frens

i think i expected too much from this, considering what's in my playlist
was hoping it be a bit more latin-ish. the instruments and melody seems right?
i think it's because the theme? maybe it aint fit so much?
OH it missing claps YEA

still another addition to my latin playlist

8/10

now that Jerome has joined
It'll be harder to guess who submitted which
since aint know how his music taste are.
it's a joker card

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Sorry to keep you waiting.

Jazz, Past and Present

Spoiler

Sadly, Yuuka's 'modern' theme is one of the handful of pieces that I don't care for, despite thinking it to still be good (kind of spoiled for choices with Touhou music).  This cover is, to me, a nearly one-to-one comparison with the original, just trading the slight electronic sound that PoFV still had for brassy jazz sound.  Not bad, and I must admit that I prefer the real brass, but there isn't much to really comment on musically.

6/10

. . . though, that guy in the video (you know which one) looks like he's having the time of his life.

Maiden singing a capriccio

Spoiler

Hmm, an electronic remix.  Maiden's Capriccio has some good remixs out there, and this has some good points.  There's something odd about the vocals, sometimes it doesn't mix well with the music, leading to a sort of messy sound, but sometimes it's fine and works well.  Otherwise, it's fine, but not standout.

6/10

Latin Umbrella Dancing

Spoiler

This is definitely a style I don't here often.  Clearly not often enough.  This was definitely similar to the original, but took a pleasant divergence into a new style.  I'm not sure how much my complimenting the piece would be more complimenting the style/genre (is it salsa?  Not sure if I'm using that right.)  Mostly, I like the quickened pace but still having a somewhat calm feel compared to other fast pieces.

8/10

Next round!

First is big band jazz for Love-Coloured Master Spark.

Then we have a Stack vocal arrange for Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly.

Last in this round, is a remix of Fragrant Plants. Nice to see an overlooked theme from SWR show up.

Me, looking back at my previous ratings: Boy, I didn't remember rating that song quite that high...oh well.

Jazzter Spark

Spoiler

A more typical jazz offering than the last. I have some issues with performance jazz that I've listened to, but this track doesn't have them. Wasn't impressed with the opening; lone trumpets are somewhat grating, especially to start a piece off. Fortunately, the rest of the track more than made up for it. I very much enjoyed everything after the piano came in.

Ending is not the strongest, but jazz doesn't tend toward bombastic endings, so it's more a matter of my taste.

Rating: 7.9/10

White Spirit, Ultra Red

Spoiler

The first thing I notice about this piece is that it's very techno. The melody and the quality of the vocals makes me think of insert songs for magical girl anime, although with that said, this piece could definitely stand some violins in the instrumental. Especially in the instrumental solo--that part was all techno and lost the melody.

Okay, but not my cup of coffee.

Rating: 5.5/10

Fragrant Weeds

Spoiler

I was not expecting this kind of song at all.

The harpsichord at the beginning had me excited, as did the emphasis on the minor key of the original song. However, both of those features were underutilized in favor of the techno elements. Not that I minded that much, but still. The singer sounds casual, as though she's not putting a lot of energy into her performance.

Overall, probably my favorite song so far of this contest, but partly on potential. With a little more feeling in the vocal performance, or a more even balance between the harpsichord and techno instruments, this would be an easy 9 or higher.

Rating: 8.7

God is my judge.

7: a-TTTempo - YOU ARE MINE!
Lotta jazz, lotta love. I think I'm finally coming to terms with my appreciation for jazz, thanks in no small part to the wide variety of remixes in the Touhou fandom (not to mention Akiyama's work).

There's a lot going on in this performance, and it's very fun to listen to. While the focus of this arrangement is (ironically) trumpets, there's a very distinct difference between them and the iconic ZUNpets from the source theme. Master Spark only has three or so motifs, one of which is transitional, so this remix attempts to mix things up with a pop song structure where the first two motifs represent verses, the primary motif functions as the chorus, and an improve adaptation of all three for the bridge.

By the end of the second chorus on first listen, I figured the song was about done. Unfortunately, that perception didn't recede through the rest of the piece, which was almost half the length. On subsequent listens, this doesn't bother me as much, but it makes me question the progression quality of the arrangement. There's nothing wrong with the tried-and-true pop structure, but you have to set it up earlier in the piece so that your audience is prepared for the bridge; either that, or lead into the bridge in such a way that the audience is aware of it.

For all that, I prefer this piece to previous round's Flower Land, and will acknowledge here that I rated too enthusiastically overall in the first round, and am now stuck. 9/10

8: Akatsuki Records - The Floating Orb Shapes' Line of Faith ~ White Spirit, Ultra Red
Obligatory Stack feature: ✅;

. . . and as Stack songs go, this is especially good! Managing to strike a balance between the hardcore and serene that she's known for, the vocal performance perfectly compliments the accompanying blend of rock, electric and orchestral instrumentation. Yet there are brief points of contention in the music itself, moments where one style is almost overcoming the others before being smoothed back into the preordained pattern; the vocals are also subject to these events. Then there's the ending: it comes suddenly and with finality, but without feeling rushed or improperly telegraphed. Whatever conflict existed throughout the arrangement is not resolved, but ended. With improper setup, this could have had a disastrous effect on the audience, but in this case it is the finishing touch to the song's theme.

I appreciated the instruments used here. As stated above, they reinforce each other in unexpected ways with no one part dominating the whole performance (even the vocals). A part of me wanted to isolate a few of them for discussion (like the guitar at 3:40 or the hard electronic instrument at 1:36), but the blend is so well accomplished that I can't feel justified in doing so.

Alright, that's it; I have to go back and change my ratings. If need be, feel free to ignore the changes in the final tally, but this one needs to be higher. 10/10

9: ESQUARIA - Repeating Greenery
Elusive Lyrics 2: Search for Meaning

Blending house with the original theme's gothic classical somehow results in a very diverse arrangement. There's a sinister edge to what is otherwise a pleasantly head-boppin' piece; it sounds very much like the theme of a 3D animation. The house style makes it a dance song, but then it breaks away from that into purely classical interludes. More so than previous round's submission, I'd really like to know the lyrics to this one; either they'd tie everything together, or establish this as a purely stylistic remix. The vocal performance is superb, alternating between clipping words and sliding through them as the accompaniment calls for. The ending also stands out as being unlike the rest of the piece. It's neither the house nor the classical; a serene middle ground, perhaps?

I'll have to come back to this circle, see if they've done other stuff like this. 9/10

TTT

Spoiler

1. that's just a big nope from me, sorry but jazz is like my worst enemy and i absolutely can't stand it (i've listened this one for sake of tournament tho) it's almost same with electro swing etc. i've never really liked it and i doubt i'll ever do so this is probably gonna be my lowest grade in this tournament unfortunately

4.5/10

Spoiler

2. Stack's versatile voice strikes again huh? it really never gets old (however this one ain't best of her works it's pretty solid) i prefer more metal-ish arrangements, but you can't have everything

7.5/10

Spoiler

3. Yes please ESQUARIA is one of my top 3 circles mostly because kind of arrangements they are creating in this one we have pretty rare theme CHICACO vocals and CleanTears arrangement and it's gorgeous it also quite hits my "go to zone" so (and i know this song as well, like most of ESQUARIA tracks)

9/10

9 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

I have to go back and change my ratings. If need be, feel free to ignore the changes in the final tally

I haven't actually started making a note of what scores were given yet, so your changes will be in the final tally. I should like to remind everyone though, only go back and change old scores if you really have to.

1 hour ago, Dana Iclucia said:

also reminds me that i had to ask @buskerdog is it possible to change one pick that wasn't posted yet?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... m a y b e. You could always save it for another tournament. If you really, really want to, you can tell me about it in PMs and we can discuss there.

i constantly changing my volume while listening
is it bad?

Spoiler

a-TTTempo - YOU ARE MINE!

someone seems posting jazz only for this tournament

eyy i see this often in my watch again recommendation
i like a-TTTempo more than Active NEETs
is it because i play Scarlet Carnival and TPDP too much i get acquired taste?
usually the opposite happen if i listen too much though.
shoulda posted the PV video, it's more enjoyable although it's basically not much.

what should i say here? lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

8/10
also Marisa's thighs very long
can't unsee

Akatsuki Records - The Floating Orb Shapes' Line of Faith ~ White Spirit, Ultra Red

the opening reminds me of Kagome Kagome
Stack's voice sound not as powerful as usual, though i cant complain since i ever posted her ballads.
but yeah considering the bg sounds, it aint feel that strong.

also that kicks feel really repetitive, yeah it paused in once a while, but aint it feel too much?
especially this part 1:22, those kicks are taking away the vocal, maybe if only slow down to every 2 beats.

i rated too high last rounds
6.5/10
time to abuse my powers mwah

ESQUARIA - Repeating Greenery

oh ESQUARIA
i feel like i know who posted this, but after listening im not so sure anymore
feels like a circle Dana would pick but yeah, seems too kalm for his usual taste
Garrison? you? and i keep forgetting Busker also submitted some

i love SWR tracks, U2Akiyama is quite underrated yea, feel sad about it (except for broken moon)

everyone seems rating this 9/10
so imma join the bandwagon

if anyone has Fragrant Plants or Dancing Water Spray or Ridiculous Game or Drunk as I Like or just ALL SWR arrangements
pls send

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Here we go!

Jazz-Colored Master Spark:

Spoiler

A bit of a messy start, but it quickly launches into a powerful and energetic sound that just works so well for Master Spark.  We've got a couple of slower sax solos in there, but that's still pretty cool.

8.5/10

Diochromatic singing butterfly

Spoiler

Hmm, this is one of the pieces that I don't really have a lot to say about, but enjoy it nonetheless.  It's just solid all-around.

8/10

Electronic Plants

Spoiler

Definitely don't see Fragrant Plants often.  It's a simple piece, and it transfers pretty well to electronic style.  It's pretty interesting that this piece has a number of tonal shifts, notably spending quite a bit of time in both a minor and major key.  It gives it a bit of a mysterious sound, despite that not being something I would associate with electronic genres.

8/10

Round 4.

First is a curious arrangement of Prince Shoutoku's Pegasus ~ Dark Pegasus.

Next is a piano MIDI arrangement for one of the new themes from Touhou 18. Due to the nature of the file type, you'll need to click through the link to listen on a different website.

https://musescore.com/user/23794121/scores/6680794

Lastly is... uh, actually I'm not really sure what this is. But it has Faith is for the Transient People in it?

Dork Pegasus

Spoiler

I really like the variety of instruments in this one. It has a very good beginning, but I was hoping for a buildup to a more powerful section. The piece stayed at about the same energy level the whole way through. Still good, but a bit disappointing. Movement/development = higher score from me, I guess.

Rating: 8/10

The Perpetual Snow Of Komakusa Blossoms – ZUN

Spoiler

A very solid arrangement of an atypical stage theme. This tune is utterly delightful, and the only reason this doesn't get a 10 is that it's not actually remixed--it's a straight piano arrangement of the original track, with an extra bar or two for an ending.

Rating: 9/10

FGO thingy? with FIftTP

Spoiler

Ooh, this one's a mixed bag. I like the opening, and I really like the midsection with the violins and bombastic harmonies, but the techno sections are incredibly grating, even painful to listen to. I'd love to listen to a piece like this with the grinding noises removed and everything else extended. My rating is skewed toward positive, but I really can't put it any higher. It was a struggle to convince myself to go higher than six.

FGO picture is a strange choice as well, but has no impact on the rating.

Rating: 7/10

God is my judge.

Spoiler

1. Quite interesting arrangement of Dark Pegasus, i like variety of instruments here and it was actually probably my favourite theme when 17 came out progressive folk isn't really a thing u see in daily motion, it's also quite catchy

7.5/10

Spoiler

2. 2hu 18 huh? personally parts of it kinda reminds me Dark Pegasus (but that's prob just me) sounds pretty decent overall but i'd rather listen to original version not piano honestly

7/10

Spoiler

3. Nhato + Taishi are both artists from my top 3 (even though Taishi almost does not arrange 2hu songs and Nhato does it more) i don't think i need to say anything past that lmao

9.5/10 (not 10 actually but close)

Speaking of which this is from ESQUARIA INST BEST 001 and i have no slightest idea why someone picked FGO image as background lmao

im bak

Spoiler
Spoiler

hmm how should i translate this title
Teppo Oyabun no Charge Time
Teppo Oyabun = Archduke/Gunman/Gun Boss
Mafia? Mafia Boss???????  eh...

O-Life Japan - Gang Boss Charge Time

this actually feel chill
contrary to the title name
was expecting more folk-ish and intense stuff
but nice regardless, i can see myself picking this song some time.

idk what to say more about this one

7.5/10

everyone likin Saki's theme
i just cant understand.
i mean it's the usual, nothin special.

image.png.9d316a889ffd37ef305a3258724bc640.png

Spoiler

The Perpetual Snow Of Komakusa Blossoms

whoever post this
ihy :^)

The moment i opened the link and read the title....
"OH NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
i seriously haven't even listened to the new themes yet
then i kinda gave up and left that message up there

but after extensive research, im back.

kind of a romantic song eh? the anime vibes are strong here.
ngl if you send me this song without telling me the title,
aint gonna notice this a 2hu song.
although i also feel slight ZUN on the opening and 1:00-1:24 but that's too short.

also a carbon copy?
i actually like the original more
ZUN did a great job with the instruments and the whole vibes thing.

6/10

i still havent listened to other th18 songs beside this one.
also why it's in Major key?
because Sannyo is not the other way around. hehe hoho

Spoiler

Edelritter (Nhato × Taishi) - Humanity

this definitely Dana's submission
no one goes to there channels except ya

i actually like this one, this kind of genre is one of few exceptions in my hate list.
but due to it's nature, it's hard to combine it with 2hu themes without separating them in parts.
like ya hear it in here they put the 2hu in calm parts.
seems they aint plan to make a 2hu theme but nhato just does it anyway.
still has more 2hu in it than rolling contact does lmao.

3:43 hmm?? the square waves aint that bad, i like that part.
*looks at volume slider* it's at 15 percent!!
*increase volume* "OHGOD NOOO"

7.5/10

pbtbtp
this hard.

Here I am again.  Sorry I keep being late.

Dark Pegasus

Spoiler

Wow, that is a very interesting set of instruments/sounds to use together.  Folk and electronic is an odd mix, but this is a fascinating piece to listen to.  We've got pipes, strings, banjo, synth, and it works shockingly well together.  What's more, some genuine emotion is coming through as well (technical expertise + genuine emotion makes some of the best music, obviously).  Some calm moments, some mysterious, followed with a more paced, adventurous feel.  A wonderful thing I think I'll actually come back to on occasion.

9/10

Perpetual Snow

I'm assuming this link is safe, but that is definitely a site I've never heard of or seen before . . .

Spoiler

Ah, this is definitely a classic Touhou feel . . . wait, is this an arrangement at all?  Regardless, this is pretty good.  It has the usual Touhou quality of keeping a quick pace while also feeling somewhat calming.  I'll consider that a point in it's favor, though it doesn't really stand out . . .

7/10

Faith is for the Transient Jalter (sorry, couldn't help it)

Spoiler

For once, I'm going to do this a little different.
It starts with a bombastic, somewhat darker, arrangement of Faith is for the Transient People.  I very much like the original and very much like this style, so it's a great start.

Then, it ruins it.  It builds up, cuts out for anticipation . . . then has a section of rapid fire electronic noise with no melody.  I've heard this kind of thing before and I'm completely lost as to why anyone does it.

We do eventually get to an actual electronic melody that builds back into Faith, but still with the electronic noise getting in the way.

Then a slower section with Faith back for full instrumental power.  Faith in song restored.

A quicker, more electronic Faith, good.  Until the electronic sound overwhelms it, with it becoming grating again. (also, someone's trying to beat their snare to death)

And we go back tot he noise.  Frustrating.

Oh, a more percussion focus.  Okay.  Better than the electronic.  Doesn't sound like Faith though

This . . . is hard.  I absolutely loved the parts that actually sounded like Faith is for the Transient People.  Enough that, if the whole pieces was that, I would give it at least 9/10, possibly 10/10.  But the rest . . . is irritating.  Grating electronic noise rather than synthesized music, the lack of a melody, let alone the melody of Faith is for the Transient People, and the severe difference with the rest of the piece just drags it down so much I can't really enjoy it.

With sadness, 4/10.

10: O-Life Japan - The Truant Boss's Time to Charge
Good ole' O-Life, as unusual as ever.

I struggle to find a proper word to describe this piece. It's too active to be ambient, and has too little direction to be anything else; "rambling" comes to mind, but that doesn't make any sense. The oriental folk is strong, but offset by the traditional orchestra elements, synthesized percussion and whatever-you'd-call-the-beeping-instrument. I'm reminded of Hiveswap at some points, and Okami at others, but not as a hybrid of those styles; this arrangement doesn't really fit in any specific genre. But it's uniqueness is less experimental and more comfortable, presenting itself and fully intentional in its oddities without trying to be odd. Ultimately, I don't think I have much to say about it, but I did like it; even though it's lacking real buildup, it doesn't drag or even risk dragging, managing to remain calmly engaging throughout.

If this is my lowest score so far, it's only because it has been such a good tournament. 7/10

11: shtm1 - The Perpetual Snow of Komakusa
Just when I'd started complying the tournament entries into a playlist . . .

I doubt any of us have had the time to familiarize ourselves with this theme to the same extent of older Touhou pieces, though the high quantity of remixes may have helped. As stated in the previous tournament, I'm not as big a fan of cover/transcription class remixes, of which piano arrangements more often than not are a part. There's nothing wrong with these remixes, and they are no more easy to do than the more interpretive kinds, but a big part of what I like about remixing in general is its potential to showcase differing perspectives on a musical piece. However, there is certainly a time for standard covers, and it's not impossible to get creative with these either.

This remix is not necessarily a cover, though it leans heavily in that direction. I had to bring of the original theme and listen to it a few times to determine what parts of this arrangement were directly inspired by it, and what elements were more interpretive. Despite my efforts, I'm still not as familiar with the theme as I'd like, so I'll try to be careful about my examinations. I perceive instances of adjusted style when a motif is repeated, allowing the second run of the motif to sound unique to its first; this is usually done through instrumentation, and the artist does a good job at adapting to the situation. Additionally, and though a little thing, I really appreciate the grace note in measure fourty-two; this was a very creative and audibly distinctive way of recreating the effect of the original theme.

There are two aspects that cannot be properly appreciated due to the medium of presentation, a.k.a. the MIDI limitations. Musescore is not a professional software, and thus has some understandable playback issues in regards to dynamics and ritardandos. When playing a piano, there is a certain degree of relativity to these articulations that require customization to properly program into a MIDI. I imagine this arrangement would sound better played on a real piano, where these articulations could be more capably interpreted.

Overall, I'm going to rate this 7/10 as well. I actually really like it, but the cover-leaning and poor MIDI playback leave a bit to be desired.

12: ESQUARIA - Humanity
I am rather torn on this piece, but no more than the piece seems torn on itself.

Instead of explaining what I like first and then getting to what I don't, I'm going to start with the part that confuses me and then explain why. 1:04-1:55 could be completely cut out of the song, and the overall progression would be improved. I was so sure of this, that I decided to prove it.

Spoiler

Y'all know I don't like heavy EDM percussion solos overly well, but this particular instance clashed and even detracted from the surrounding parts. Note that I left in the identical section at the end; by that point in the arrangement, the climax of the piece has passed, and the heavy EDM percussion works as an epilogue.

I'd describe this arrangement as "cinematic EDM," in that it feels like a film score that changes moods according to the scenes it plays over. With this in mind, the sudden changes in style could be understood as scene transitions, or back-and-forth conversation and action sequences, etc. It would be for a sci-fi fantasy epic (though more in the vain of Lord of the Rings than Star Wars), and would play during the climactic finale.

The source motif is well integrated into the arrangement, and I wish it had better structure to take advantage of the scene it was setting. If it had proper buildup, this would have been a nine from me.

As is, I'm giving it 7/10.

Maybe I should start using decimals in future tournaments?

TTT

Woah, I can't believe Ken started uploading the soundtrack to MORIYA! That's one of my favourite game OSTs!

Alright, onto the next round!

We've already had two very different ESQUARIA remixes in this tournament, and now we're starting the round with yet another different-styled ESQUARIA song!

Second in this round is a funky rock version of Rigid Paradise.

And lastly is... look, don't ask about why this video is on the site it is. Just know that it's a miracle it embeds.

Spoiler

1. ah, i just love it and it hits right in the spot, DnB with a lot of sampling, good theme, and yeah even thought it's almost 7 min it never gets stale (at least for me) with a lot of variety can't be anything else than:

10/10

Spoiler

2. funky rocc eh?, ain't that bad ngl i expected worse vocals are quite calming however i'm not really a fan of Rigid Paradise overall it's fairly decent song i've also expected a little bit better solo for some reason but..

7/10

Spoiler

3. oooh, i'd rather know it as House set of Undefined Fantastic Object, i remember listening to them quite long time ago (except newer ones TD was latest one i've listened i think) they are actually quite popular and quite catchy not all of them are really house tho, i don't mind

7.5/10

13: ESQUARIA - Emotional Bigwave
Arranged by ziki_7, leading composer for Touhou 17.5

Coming from the O-Life remix of last round, I was having similar impressions for the first half of this piece; it doesn't build up, but neither does is stagnate, maintaining a comfortably active state. Then it it changed up the strategy and went for an interlude, building out of that towards something that feels like a climax, but without raising the energy of the piece too much. From there, it returns to the first half's bass line for a while before closing out with a variation of the same.

I speculate that the prevalent bass line was composed first, and remained the foundation of the arrangement throughout the composition process. The piece only sacrifices this bass line for about a quarter of the song, and even then you can hear elements of it being incorporated. It's a good bass line, so I can't exactly blame the artist for capitalizing on it, but the piece doesn't really go anywhere by the end. Again, it's very similar to Truant Boss's in that it has little substance, but is still a pleasant listen for what it's worth.

As such, it gets the same score as Truant Boss's: 7/10.

14: 鶫 -Tsugumi- - LOVE in the BLACK
Elusive Lyrics 3: Obscure Sources

I get heavy noir vibes from this piece, but I couldn't really say why. It's a bit too rock to be jazz, but I hesitate to call it funk. There's a strange tone to it that I can't identify, distributed between the music itself and the singer. Of the few vocal arrangements I couldn't find the lyrics for in this tournament, I think this is the one that will make the most difference. I think I can catch a few English words sprinkled in (most notably "marionette") which, taken with the name of the song (a variant of which is part of the lyrics) infer to me some kind of disillusioned-love song. This would fit the style (and arguably the character who's theme it's based off of), but I'm still left questioning the general tone, which is ever so slightly more positive then I'm expecting.

Without more information, the best thing I can say about the piece is its creative incorporation of the source motif, though it's so slight that I initially questioned if it was a remix at all. Compared to the piano entry from the previous round, this arrangement goes to the other extreme of almost not being an interpretation of its source theme at all, but rather being inspired by it to a more original piece. I'd consider this approach on the same terms; there are definitely times when it works to the piece's favor, but generally I prefer interpretive types of remixes.

That makes two parallel entries between these two rounds, ironically enough. 7/10

15: Kuroneko Lounge - Myorenji set 07 ~ Interdimensional Voyage of a Ghostly Passenger Ship
House: the quieter younger sibling of funk, child of jazz and EDM.

First thing's first: this upload is a shortened version of the arrangement, which comes from the album's crossfade. I am genuinely unsure whether this was intentional or not, but for sake of clarity, here is the full piece:

Spoiler

That makes the third parallel between these two rounds. Anyway . . .

Interdimensional Voyage is my favorite theme from Touhou 12 entirely for it's unique style among ZUN's usual compositions. I'd argue that it captures the thematic mood of the story for that game, in that it hints at the tension of the characters while lacking the urgency that is typically present in Touhou themes. It's laid-back tone lends itself to swing arrangements, so it's not surprising to find a house set for it, nor that it works so well. Initially listening to it, I was worried that it didn't sound very different from the original. In reality, this arrangement emphasizes its own swing elements in a way that perfectly compliments the theme, to such an extent that it almost sounds more "correct" than the actual source!

To that impression, I'm giving it an 8/10; but if I were using decimal scoring, it would be on the higher end of eight.

TTT

Spoiler
Spoiler

Emotional Bigwave 「ESQUARIA」

im not gonna discuss who posted this

oh waitaminit i have this album in my storage...
image.png.1b71115a6c3273256c38c26493b385d8.png

yeah... aint listen to this much

i cant find the 2hu feel i it
where? oh 4:45
oh 2:15
ngl but this feels really repetative for me
not mentioning this aint my taste

if you post track 1 or 2 i would like it more

5/10

Spoiler

LOVE in the BLACK 「鶫 -Tsugumi-」

probably Ken

IM GLAD I LISTENED TO THIS LAST
other 2 was kinda hard for me
now i cant comment

seems rock is too broad of a genre, i want more of this

9/10?
since this kinda refreshing i upped a bit
9.5/10

Spoiler

image.png.48a19d99cc271b066011b933d68e8d93.pngI HATE YOU DAMN YOU

i was here first then i see this.
then i just plan to wait for someone else to name the title
then Garison posted but it only say "Interdimensional" which really help NO
then Dana said something about UFO House Set

so i guess it's the Myourenji set 7
yes my brain smooth after slep, now i can think smarter

image.png.902f819ad13cb6d20e67b345ffe75229.png

Luckily i got em ALL sAveD
I CAN LISTEN TO HIGH QUALITY WITHOUT COMPRESSION SCREW YOU AND GOOD FOR YOU I CAN RATE BETTER(?) WITH THIS.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

kinda crisp opening
i heard some annoying sharp noise in the back

2:16 hmm? what?
The noise gone! huzzah!
the sax is great, feels smooth after those rough start

brain fried cant comment

House is a good genre
Interdimensional Voyage is a good track

if only i dont hear that sharp noise in the back constantly
7/10

Here we go

Esquaria (I can't tell what this is supposed to be)

Spoiler

Sadly, I think this sits in the space of "it's good, but there's nothing here to talk about".  Decent pace and energy, but there needed to be something more.

6/10

Jazz Paradise

Spoiler

Jazz feel with electric guitar?  It works quite well actually.  Gives it an old 'goofy monster' feel.  A nice driving pace with a catchy melody.  

7.5/10

8-bit Voyage of a Jazzy Passenger Ship

Spoiler

A pretty simple arrangement, but one that feels a little fitting . . . woah, hold on, did we just get more jazz?

Okay, a style switch can be bad or good, but both of these are done very well, and the transitions are rather good.

7.5/10

Whoops, I'm the last one. Thread notifications are weird on this site...

Esquaria - Emotion thingy

Unlike Humanity, this one is listen-able the whole way through, which I appreciate, but the melody and instrumentation are less memorable than Humanity's good parts. Rating: 6/10

Jazz Paradise

I enjoyed this one more on second listen, so thanks @Garison DeCrick for pointjng out how catchy you thought it was. Weak on the melodic development, but it's a fun background listen. Rating: 7.5/10

Myourenji House Set

My favorite of this round. The chiptunes and the swing beat work very well with Ghostly Voyage. I particularly liked the part with the reverb and the gradual addition of depth to the sound. Rating: 8/10

God is my judge.

Archived