Touhou Boxart Appreciation Thread

buskerdog

In light of the recent announcement for Touhou 18, I thought now would be good time to make this thread. Touhou boxart looks really cool - and that extends not only from the games, but also to things like album covers. It's not something you really think about when you have the games just downloaded on your computer though, which is why I wanted to make this thread to talk about them since I've always liked how stylized they are. So these are some of my favourites:

Spoiler

File:Th08cover.jpg

File:Th11 Cover.jpg

File:Th16front.jpg

Interestingly, the Touhou games on Steam also feature some alternate boxart for the steam library page in order to fit the required aspect ratio that, as far as I can tell, is the only use of those artworks. Which is pretty interesting and goes to show that ZUN cares about high quality, since there are some games that don't have a dedicated image for this. These also look super nice, I like them just as much or even moreso than the normal boxart, some examples:

Spoiler

libraryart-th15.jpg.39f082a91def2134d9ff9d7ea2c6e32a.jpg

libraryart-th16.jpg.037008b8ff2c6953324edc1f3bd1758b.jpg

libraryart-th17.jpg.26bd56031a745aed3db76e7595780fb6.jpg

I also want to give a mention to the PC-98 boxarts. Very different in style, yet still incredibly appealing in their simplicity and colour choice. They certainly have an old-school vibe to them.

Spoiler

File:Th01cover.jpg

File:Th03cover.jpg

File:Th04cover.jpg

So, what are your favourite Touhou boxarts?

For the record, I always liked Touhou 8's boxart for the details. The moon is visible through Kaguya's silhouette, making it seem less like a shadow and more like hole in game's cover giving us a glimpse into what lays behind. Then there's the second moon at the bottom, hinting at some of the plot details and illuminating a second silhouette. Mokou remains inside of Kaguya's shadow, which marks the first of only four times so far that multiple characters have featured in the boxart. As Garison noted, this may reflect the link between these characters, though I find it noteworthy that, in the other three cases, the silhouette-sharing characters also share equal importance to their game's incident.

ZUN's boxart has also inspired fanwork! The Kaisendo Group games have consistently used the silhouette style of art for their covers, and the quality of said art is quite impressive. There are also other fangames which have incorporated it, though less often then I would have expected.

Spoiler

TriFocuser.png.7ee648a00321ce0c5a1a355b978a94c9.png

cover.jpg.b4bfbe944b0e2fb90b46e4ae00791816.jpg

Interestingly, while most other fangames I've come across do not choose to incorporate this art style for their games, they may instead use it for their soundtrack covers.

Spoiler

cover.thumb.png.ded1b9366c25e6a25dd3823f8851ee20.png

I have more, but I've reached the file upload limit, so I'll make another post later

TTT

• 1 month later...

Archived