How did you find Touhou?

jssf1992

Probably mid way through high school i had a liking for techno and anime osts. With youtube being the primary free music source at the time it was inevitable that the touhou themes came up. Got hooked on the remixes and looked into the source. While the bullet hell was interesting, i didnt get hooked on anyone/thing until playing swr.

W2HhOfH.pngThe ケロ happened here?

I actually discovered it through the games, courtesy of TVTropes.  No idea what drove me to actually play them in the first place, or why I got interested in the series, but MoF was probably the first one I really liked.  The music is what keeps pulling me in though, probably half of my library is Touhou remixes mostly of Bad Apple.

Minoriko.gif

Mines a weird one, so probably around freshman year of high school i believe i was super obsessed with this mario game making engine called SMBX, some may have heard of it, some may not have but i'll get to the point, a lot of the "episodes" i played on that engine used music from the touhou games, though i didn't know it at the time. I also happened to be part of a fire emblem community known as serenes forest at the time and good friends with someone by the name of elfirelight who currently resides in our discord funfact. Anyways I basically asked him if he knew anything about these kickass themes and he said they were all touhou themes, at which point he reccomended me to give them a shot starting with imperishable night. I played that until i got an easy 1cc then decided to give touhou 6 EOSD a shot, at which point i got completely hooked on touhou. TLDR thank Mario and Elfirelight for my touhou obsession.

• Like 3

L

I have no idea what touhou was until i found the former admin on PSO. I click on his profile and he had the link to the shrine old site...And it just began there for me. 

I must say though...touhou is such an interesting and quite fun type of games. I can see how they can be addictive as fuck. 

• Like 2

Easily deploy an SSD cloud server on DigitalOcean in 55 seconds. Sign up using my link below and receive $10 in credit.

Deploy with DO!  \o/

For me, it started with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZuidKexBQ

As I was watching, I was thinking, "This looks absolutely insane. I wanna try something like this!" I ended up coming across the term "bullet hell" and asked a few of my friends if they knew any good bullet hells. One friend pointed me to Touhou and the Moriya Shrine, and here I am.

• Like 1

2f68b90a5ff48b4a52a4d52aa52a58d5--number

The people who've been on Discord for a long time will understand this.

Oh boy, I like this topic. Have I a tale to tell.

For me, it started with Smash. Super Smash Bros. has always been my favorite game series (even over Touhou), and back in the Brawl days, I watched a lot of Home Run Contest videos. And I came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt77Y5saO2Y
And later, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3rCqeMQooc
(Well, not those specific ones; those are reuploads of the originals that I had watched at the time.)

Basically, HRC videos with Touhou music. When it comes to music, my tastes are based heavily on nostalgia; even if the music is really great, if I can't associate it with something (a character, a level, a video, etc.), I will forget it much more easily. So the remixes in those videos stuck, because I enjoyed the content, and they went well with the visuals.

Not sure of the details, but I had at some point learned where the music came from, and I believe my search led me to this very site to download some of the games. I had started with EoSD, since that was the first of the Windows games and origin of the remixes in that first video (I also got SA, which was the most recent at the time, but that's another story, and I'm only mentioning it to give you guys a timeframe). Never made it to Flandre because it was too bloody hard, but I absolutely loved the dialog of the characters, the music, and the art made me feel better about my own art while still being above what I generally accomplish. So while I thought the gameplay was terribly difficult, I loved pretty much everything else about it.

But probably the biggest pull was learning about ZUN. Being a lover of games and wanting to make my own, ZUN inspired me (and still does). Because I learned through Touhou that if you have the right skillset (and circumstances), it is possible to be a sole developer for a franchise, which is pretty much my dream. I enjoy Touhou not only for its content, but because of knowing that it was generally created by a single person, and that type of position is where I aim to be in life.

• Like 3

Found this series through that (what I feel to be the most) well-known let's play of Touhou Mother, Nakateleeli's, complete with character introductions for those new to the series. (Even though I had originally heard "Windows Error Remixes" of Marisa Stole the Precious Thing years prior, I didn't know it at the time, as those videos never had any sign mention of that song.)

Edited by Kurzov
details

On 1/20/2018 at 5:48 PM, Kurzov said:

Found this series through that (what I feel to be the most) well-known let's play of Touhou Mother, complete with character introductions for those new to the series. (can't remember the person's name that did it). (Even though I had originally heard "Windows Error Remixes" of Marisa Stole the Precious Thing years prior, I didn't know it at the time, as those videos never had any sign of that song.)

That would be Nakateleeli's LP of Touhou Mother. If you're interested, he's actually doing a playthrough of Puppet Dance Performance, if you're interested.

2f68b90a5ff48b4a52a4d52aa52a58d5--number

The people who've been on Discord for a long time will understand this.

I should probably give my own story.  Which starts with this video:

It was my first year of college, and the internet (and especially countdown videos) led me to learning of all sorts of games that I had never heard of before.  I've always had a preference for video game soundtracks, and this was one that I found and came back to a couple of times.  Once, I noticed a similarly drawn Flandre over to the side, realized it was probably more from the same series and listened to it.  Then there was a ton of different versions of U.N. Owen in the recommended videos, making me more curious about the actual series these pieces came from.

Now, I was 18/19 around this time and didn't really understand much about the game industry, and once I found some gameplay on Youtube, I actually thought it was just a browser game(s) that had a rediculously large/active fanbase.  I went looking for it, and eventually found Ace's site before Moriya shrine.  I was hesitant to actually download the games, but eventually my curiosity got the better of me, and I started with EoSD, SWR, and Koumajou Densetsu, and Senguko Gensokyo soon after.  I loved each soundtrack (of course), but SWR and Sengoku Gensokyo gave me a love for the characters.  I spent a year or so as an anonymouse lurker, but eventually joined the very first forum.

And I'm still around, funny how it all worked out.

• Like 1

My introduction to touhou was pretty weird when compared to most people since it was my summer programming class teacher from when I was 10 who first showed me the game. I first saw him playing it(the game was PCB) on lunatic and asked him if he could give me the files so I could play it too(not before telling me to only play on lunatic). Soon after I had discovered more games like UFO which was my second game and the one touhou game I only ever played lunatic on(to my own torture and regret). about a year or 2 later I had found the MS site and there I had been proper introduced to the the fandom and games of touhou. And tbh at first I was never a fan of the music which usually is what draws most people into touhou, I only kept playing because the games for me where very challenging and extremely fun. I don't dislike the music and I do kinda owe it to helping me find out about touhou again after I had taken pretty much a 1-ish year leave from the internet as whole to focus on school and during then I had forgotten about touhou as a whole. about 10 months ago I had found a cover of medicine's theme on YouTube while randomly listening to music and that brought back some deja vu and I started getting back into the serise. Honestly I still owe a big thanks to the MS site for properly getting me into the series/fandom since without it I doubt me back then would've given the series much of my time since downloading the games other wise at the time was a lot harder.

320424213527920640.png.bab232960a11b825aae303d29aed3941.pngForever thinking about what I post320424213527920640.png.bab232960a11b825aae303d29aed3941.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I took a more conventional approach
Once, in the times of yonder, when Pokemon Black and White was new, i was watching Undertale Black Scores by EpreTroll(as we all do)

Then, i some stuff popped up, and then i clicked on some stuff

Several Videos Later...

What is this, and why does it sound so good.

Boom. Touhou

• Like 1

Back in 2011, I had a friend randomly show me a video of a dude going agaisnt Flandre in Lunatic. I liked the music and the game seemed hard but I didn't really show much interest on it tbh.
After that, most of my interaction with touhou for the following years were random posts online but MOSTLY the music of the series being used in Super Mario World Romhacks:

Songs like these constantly plagued the hacks, I didn't know what they were from at first but after some time I could tell wich ones were touhou music just from the general style of the music writing... even if I didn't play the games, ZUN's music is personal and easy to recognize.

This led me to look into the fandom a bit and I noticed they had tons of fun and produced lots of content, I told myself I'd try to get involved and play the games, that was back in 2014 or so and well... I did! 4 years later BUT I STILL DID! So here I am now, been drawing lotta 2hu and enjoying the fan content.

Also losing my head everytime I'm playing the games and go OH I KNOW THIS FROM THIS MARIO HACK! lmao

Gonna use my Site Editor Necromancy, because I can.

I found Touhou back in 2009 when a music video was uploaded to YouTube, and showed up in my feed. I believe it was dBu Music's arrange of Retrospective Kyoto.
I quickly became interested, and now here I am.

• Like 1

Sakkun - Moriya Shrine Site Editor

Find me on:
Discord: Sakkun#3800
Twitter: SakkunTouhou

4 hours ago, Jlegobot said:

I went and dove straight in the rabbit hole gap.

That's what happened to me too... Just went in and never looked back...can't now even if i tried. 

• Like 1

Easily deploy an SSD cloud server on DigitalOcean in 55 seconds. Sign up using my link below and receive $10 in credit.

Deploy with DO!  \o/

As far as I can remember around 2008-2009 when people were heavily into it and it was a game series that seemed to just stick with me as I got older. Wasn't too much into the games but I really liked the character designs and music. Then roughly around 2014 or so there was also a Pokemon ROM hack called Touhoumon World Link I played that spiked my interested back up in both Pokemon and Touhou. Been with it ever since.

https://animackid.wordpress.com/touhoumon-world-link/

Edited by GreenFighter42

• 3 weeks later...

I found this series through a Youtuber named TheAnimeMan. I saw him playing PCB on Lunatic and I thought to myself, "Hmm, this seems pretty fun. I'll give it a go."

I fell in love way too quickly.

After beating PCB several times, I found another game, Imperishable Night, through a guy named JZBoy. After that, well, you can imagine what happened. I just went WILD with the series. I have, counting fighting and fan games, around twenty games in the series.

Because of the Rabbit.

I found touhou because of a friend, kinda got involved and wondered what the hell touhou is. So he passed EoSD to my computer and I was completely amazed at how hard it is yet satisfying. So, I coerced asked him to pass all his touhou files which starts at th 6 to 15.5.  I downloaded 1-5 later on because I was utterly curious. 

Pretty sure some people got to touhou thanks to it's oh so wide doujinshis. And so beautiful fanarts. 

Webp.net-resizeimage.png.c4e2a2b3fd5444f0c1ae29d5ff35a5a9.png

I'm kinda hungry.

Well, the first Touhou-related thing I found on the Internet was a U.N. Owen remix. 12 year old me listened to a lot of Pokemon soundfont remixes for whatever reason, and I found this video. 

I thought it was pretty good, but I didn't even consider that it might be from anything in particular. I ACTUALLY got into Touhou about 4 years later when I started browsing TVTropes regularly. The name kept popping up there, eventually I read the page, curiosity led me to look up some gameplay videos, and I found MegamanOmega's channel. He recommended downloading the games from the old version of this website. Honestly, it's not the most interesting story.

Edited by talesofgames
Should have read embedding guide FIRST.

First I heard of Touhou Mother (being a huge EB fan), and ignored the shit out of it. Then it kept haunting me, and I kept ignoring it. When I looked at it, I was addicted to those McDonalds you-know-whats, and September First. Now I think you know where this went.

As i could remember i randomly search youtube and found Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea (Black Midi) without knowing 2hu, right after that is Bad Apple!! (Black midi) >  EoSD boss theme rock arrangement > Bad Apple!! (silhouete(and 2 minutes ago (literally) i just find out it's not an official video!!)) > Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke >  Flight of the Bamboo Cutter  ~ Lunatic Princess (still dont know 2hu) > osu! (I regret playing this) > cYsmix - Tear Rain > Everything

Edited by Drunken_Flower

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif