How did you find Touhou?

jssf1992

On 1/15/2018 at 3:53 PM, jssf1992 said:

How did we all first find Touhou, and get involved with this fanbase?  It seems to me that there's isn't quite a normal path that people take in this regard.

Im fairly a new touhou fan but a few months back, a video released of sr pelo and his animation of eosd. I watched and loved it, I decided to watch more touhou just and gotten into it. Im glad i got into touhou because i gotten back into game development and learning a programming language seriously now. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

4 years ago i playing team fortress 2 and after 1 years i looked for team fortress 2 servers and i didn't find good one so i typed to youtube: team fortress 2 servers and i found freak fortress 2 server (someone playing boss and others trying to kill it) and after i joined the server i really liked the boss musics i searched the google Freak Fortress 2 musics and i found diffrent boss musics (not avabile for my current server) and after that i find a freak fortress 2 boss music playlist after listening the musics i found the Freak Fortress 2 - Sakuya izayoi theme i really liked this music and after the listened i searched Sakuya izayoi the google for found the real character after that i found the game named Touhou Project after that i found thousands of lore/character/game/music and i really love it after months i decied to play games and im teribble at Touhou games but they are so fun (sorry for bad english im trying to learn english so i don't use google translate lol)

This may be a bet lengthy so bare with me here, throughout the years that I've been on the internet Touhou was one of those series that I've heard legendary things about it but knew very little about, my first exposure to Touhou was Ronald McDonald Insanity (Pretty old I know) and various memes, YTP's and YTPMV's though I only knew the popular songs I.E. U.N. Owen was her? and Nights of Nights, needless to say I wasn't familiar with the series at that time, though I used to know a couple of people who were FE and RPG fans who also liked Touhou too and that's how I got to know a few characters like Yuuka, Ringo, Reisen ETC.

And the thing is that I started going down this rabbit-hole since late 2021 so despite being on the internet for a long time I've only gotten into Touhou since 3 months ago.

Edited by TheM3ds

Oh boi...

Long story short (full story in another thread) is that I found Touhou through rather unrelated means, those being Warhammer 40K memes, Kaliningrad General countryball videos, and Rhythm Heaven custom remixes. But the thing that actually directed me towards Touhou actually was totally by chance, an image and short discussion seen on Discord that had I missed it, I would have probably never ever found this series (and fall in love with it)

spacer.png

Think the first I ever heard of Touhou was "Drunk as I Like" in some tf2 gmod vid. After that I'd start watching YTPMVs, MADs and other such videos (Prismriver Sisters on Drugs lives rent free in my head to this day), until the day I caved in and decided to play the first two pc98 games. A bad idea that delayed my entry for about a year until I tried again with EoSD and went from there. And now we're here.

(love pc98 now but it's definitely not a good starting point)

everything is just peachy tonsh.gif.0b4075faabf61d7265e5c3fea342964f.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Some years ago I was in a discord server for an undertale fangame, one of the moderators there is a touhou fan and he always kept saying "play touhou", so one day I decided to try out EoSD. I found it too hard, and forgot about touhou for a couple of years, but I picked it up again recently thanks to wanting to play a bullet hell game.

On 3/23/2022 at 12:13 PM, CountVonNumenor said:

Oh boi...

Long story short (full story in another thread) is that I found Touhou through rather unrelated means, those being Warhammer 40K memes, Kaliningrad General countryball videos, and Rhythm Heaven custom remixes. But the thing that actually directed me towards Touhou actually was totally by chance, an image and short discussion seen on Discord that had I missed it, I would have probably never ever found this series (and fall in love with it)

I think these two videos were part of my first contact with Touhou, even if at the time I did not know what Touhou is 

Surprise, surprise, Kaliningrad actually is a Touhou fan, with him having a secondary channel dedicated to Touhou animations, as well as a Twitter and Pixiv pages where he posts 2hus  

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i saw the bad apple!! video, and how it took over the internet back in the good, old days of 2008... 

and it took many years, but i slowly started listening to more of the music, and started arranging it for piano

and here i am now lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found it creeping into my life in a number of ways:

1. Geometry Dash had a level with a song titled "The Flawless Wings of Yatagarasu", which was a remix of "Nuclear Fusion" from Subterranean Animism.

2. I played osu! and this singular batmap turns out to be "The Dark Blowhole" (Stage 1 Theme) from Subterranean Animism

3. Bad Apple, of course.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Years ago when i was watching a lot of anime, i asked my friend what he was liking in the moment and he said touhou.

I said i heard about this anime sometimes { I DIDN'T KNEW TOUHOU WAS A GAME AT THE TIME OK? =') } and he said it was a game but had some animes, i said i was gonna watch (i never watched xd)

In 2021 i started dating, she liked anime and that stuff too, and in a day, she sent me a Cirno fumo meme, that was when i got interested in touhou, but didn't search for it

September of 2022, i found more fumo stuff and started watching videos and seeing stuff about it (mostly yumemey) and found other channels, and naturally started liking touhou

I downloaded some mobile games and loved them! Then i started playing the PC ones and loved them too!

Then i got into this forum =D

I love touhou more and more each new thing i find out about it, is awesome!

R.png.a3342f3b88f67254714c43c67ae6f17f.png

• Like 1

I was getting bored and decided I would try to play a few shoot them ups.
Then I remembered hearing a long time ago about some games that are good to ease people into the genre, called "touhou".
After playing the games for a while, I thought I would try interacting with the community, which is why i'm here.

• Like 1