How did you find Touhou?

jssf1992

I was attending the Iron Man of Gaming 2008 in Dallas when someone threw one of the games on the big screen and a bunch of us watched for a while. Didn't really think much of it at the time other than "neat!" I think I downloaded ESoD not too long afterwards to give it a shot, but didn't keep at it back then.

Couple of years later, I met a friend who was really into it at the time and I mentioned I thought the games and music were neat. They proceeded to show me a bunch of fan creations like some of the popular music videos, general art, and the immense amount of stuff there just is. Eventually we all went to a local convention where they were dressed as Youmu and they introduced me to a group of other fans who were very nice and fun to hang out with.

Ever since then it was a slow incline which reached the final "get into" part when 16 came out on steam and I thought I really ought to sit down and actually play these games.

I've been at least peripherally aware of Touhou for a long time; the Bad Apple!! video was a big deal in my friend group, even though none of them cared anything about the source of the song or characters. Occasionally I'd try to look it up, but it seemed impenetrable because of how much there was.

Then when Smooth McGroove did his cover of UN Owen Was Her!? I finally saw Touhou gameplay for the first time, and instantly knew I needed to play that game. Now it's several years later and I still can't 1CC any of the games (or even make it through with continues in most cases) but I have a blast playing the games, listening to the music and reading the manga.

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of people have been introduced to Touhou by a friend. The same goes for me; I had somebody online recommend me the games around 2 years ago, though I had been aware of the series before. I decided to give them a try, and now here I am. Just goes to show how nice the Touhou community is, at least in my opinion. I've never really had any strikingly bad experiences with fans of the games.

Best regards,

von Kurtos

A friend back in high school sent some gaming video with an impressively edited intro that used night of nights as the background music into our group chat. I remember being blown away by the editing and the music they used at the time and decided to try and find the music itself one day. Finding the video on youtube led to my recommendation's list getting filled with touhou music. I didn't think too much at first but eventually got curious as to what all these remixes were based off of. One thing leads to another and I ended up somehow getting into the games and reading the mangas

My first exposure to Touhou was by this guy on Twitch who went by the name Yggdrasiface. I watched him for half a year without really looking into the series being lost as to what game I was watching him play. Then he streamed an alttp randomizer while the Touhou Maiden bgm was playing in the background, asked for the link to the playlist, listened to that for two months, then I started actually looking into the series and five months later, here I am.

If I had stopped watching Yggdrasiface out of sheer overwhelmness, I would not be here. Looking back, I’m amazing I managed to continue watching with zero clue as to what Touhou was for half a year.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Basic as hell so Bad Apple!! came on my discover weekly (Or3o's electroswing version), at first I only liked it but

TW suicide

Spoiler

After my Ex killed herself it was the only thing I could listen to for a month straight

and after so long I got curious about where the song was from and stuff.

(BTW now my fav songs are a few of Beloved Tomboyish Daughter's remixes, especially Lonely Dreaming Girl, so i'm not that basic anymore)

• 1 month later...

I have known about the existence of touhou for a long time(I listened to a lot of touhou tracks without knowing they are from touhou) but had never actually checked it out until 3 years ago.I used to be obsessed with a game called geometry dash(i found nuclear fusion,my favorite touhou song, through this game) and used to watch a youtuber named EricVanWilderman who said in one of his videos that touhou music is good which piqued my curiosity so i decided to listen to it and forgot about it for two years.Late last year,i got bored so i randomly watched Eric's older video again and remembered about touhou so i downloaded Eosd from this site and here i am.I have to thank Eric for helping me discovered one of my favorite series of all time.

Edited by Mehmaid123

i discovered touhou when i was finding retro game roms and i found touhou 1 and i searched touhou on google and i found some videos of touhou EoSD and some music like: bad apple, cirno's perfect math class and convictor yamaxanadu because of this i downloaded touhou EoSD and i'm playing the retro era games :)

how i stumbled on 2hou was kinda weird xD
through the random YT algorythm we found the video "Gaben stole the precious thing" (in 2011) but we had NO CLUE where the origin of that video came ... very late like 2019 we found out w8 gaben video is a spoof of an old Iosys song about 2hou ... what is that franchise? now ... i can sing Marisa stole the precoius thing even if i cant speak japanese ... due to overlistining the song over and over and over xD
Also Marine Senchou from Hololive helped out too abit to cement that touhou vibes lol (look at her 2hou spell bubble video when That iosys song comes she freaks out man its addicting her passion)
https://youtu.be/ZpkC8aVrCTM?t=109 here the refference.

I beleive I first found out about touhou when I was in elemtary school, I think i first heard about it just from when I was first experiencing what the internet was and I saw a video on youtube (that is probably over 10 years old now) of someone doing the extra stage of EoSD and thought it was the most insane thing I've ever seen and it inspired me to start playing the games and to learn more about touhou.  (and to this day I still suck ass at touhou).

i accidentaly heard Koishsi's theme in one video and started searching for source... cound't fing it for a while, but after i did, i started listening to touhou music and figured out that many of my favorite songs wich i were listening to were just touhou remixes. and some time after i tried playing (actually started with touhou 11 because of koishi's theme. i got 1cc normal after a month of playing). so that's how i got into touhou!

(sorry, my english might not be perfect because i am from russia, i am still studying language)

• 5 weeks later...

I discovered Touhou when I was just 9 or 8, yeah, I was much young but I didn't know what it was, I kept listening to songs about without know. Well, I growned, I searched more about the game and boom, my first Touhou game was: Touhou 6 - the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, and I downloaded in this website.

That's it!

All I remember is that around 2017/18 I was looking for something to play on my low end PC and somehow stumbled upon one of the fighting games (Think it was HM) but later on I learned it's a bullethell shooter and having never played one of those I tried UFO first (of all the games I could've picked!)

I liked the UFO mechanic back then despite how annoying it is (it allowed me to grind up a lot of life pieces just to lose them all to Shou, very fun!), but haven't picked up another one of the games until somewhat later at the start of 2020 with EOSD. I wanted to go through the mainline games in release order

Guess I always kinda knew about it since the bad apple!! arrangement but I know between me playing HM and EOSD I listened to a lot of the songs. So I kinda only really got into it because of the songs else I'd have just dropped the game years ago

• 2 weeks later...

How i can start this history?

Well, everthing begin when i was much younger, like 2010-2011. I remember watch alot of videos with my brother.

Remember view some Touhou characters appears on some videos but always my brother skip "anime like" girls, and well, i followed it, because was my older brother. The year passed and i remember skip Touhou characters, like always on 2012-2014.

The things begin on 2015, when i finnally know the existense about the music of the "Get Down" meme (i always viewed on videos, but never knowed the music), and then... this is what i find:

(sadly, the first one that i viewed, was deleted, but this is the same)

The thing was, not only the music that i finnally finded, was more the character that appear. And is Nitori Kawashiro! my first real meet with a Touhou character.

I still remember that, i viewed the comments for view from where she is, and they say Touhou. I searched it and i say: "oh, this..." (my brother still hate anime like girls on 2021).

Remember searched things like: Touhou characters, and try to find one that appears Nitori, and Google dont help! remember when i viewed she on some images but never find her name. After a long, long search, i get with her name and well, i decide to search it on youtube.

So, i decide to lisen to her music, dont was the best thing on that momment, but something was on me from that momment. (this one was the first touhou music that i searched and lisen, this expecifict video).

And then... i still get scared for show this to my brother. But was 2019 when i finnally can played one, and that is.... Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil, yeah, i get very hiped when i lisen the Credits music and my goal was finish it. (I really need to thanks to the Soku Marisa's theme, that appears on 2019 and give me the locked part of my Touhou like)

Still my brother dont like Touhou, but im free to do anything that i want. I draw things, play most of the games and lisen music (and videos too).

So, well, that was my history! is abit short of what i really like to say, but well, is what i can say now. Have a nice day!

signature.png.2e3e1d7f81ce9f6d840a2329c394fec4.png