How did you find Touhou?

jssf1992

my friend was actually really into touhou for like years before i started playing, and he told me about this game called "touhou luna nights" which is really fun if you like metroidvanias (pretty short though)

i liked the funny clownpiece and decided to play the game with her in it, and, to this day, still cannot beat her

• Like 1

awsm.png.67315e744a2917033a71111657a7df4e.png

src: yumemimeme on twitter

• 2 months later...

When i was little I randomly came across this video, looking for piano tutorials (since I play piano frquently) 

This video has a very special place in my heart, it was the first black midi video I had ever seen and blew my mind, and I also loved the melody, which was in my head for years. I go back to that video and a similar bad apple piano tutorial all the time for nostalgias sake.

oh, and I found out the original song was from touhou through the comments on the video, and I looked up the game and was shocked at how hard the game looked, just like anyone else.

• 4 weeks later...

Rampaging Sakuya somewhere in 2009, unfortunately I forgot about it and only in 2019 remembered it after hearing Night of Nights in a different meme

Edited by HellBorn99
spelling

• 4 weeks later...

So a couple of years ago I saw videos with rampaging sakuya theme (I cant remember the videos) and I never saw the themes of touhou again until... I used to play and watch battle cats, so one battle cats vid used touhou music and some time later I got reccomended tohou themes from a youtuber called ScarletFlame (or something like that) so I didn't know ANYTHING about the games yet as I got hooked on touhou music. After a year or so (after moving on from tohou music) a close friend of mine looked into the description of the video and searched the characters up and found the tohou games and told me, and I got promptly hooked. So yea.. my first piece of tohou I ever saw was from random videos I can't even remember.

Edited by Maribel

• 3 months later...

It started around October of 2020. I was as usual browsing Youtube until I came across a Touhou animation. I've gotten these time to time and anytime I watched some my recommendations get bombarded by Touhou stuff. This time was no different, but it finally made me go and actually find out what Touhou actually was. I played TH 6 1st and slowly but surely I made it to where I am now, a huge fan of the series.

Oddly from nintendo youtuber, Nathanial Bandy. He did a video of Mario 64 rom hacks (I think it was slide rom hacks), and night of nights was the theme for one. Me, knowing nothing about touhou, said "what the heck is this music and why is it so fast?". I then saw a comment saying the name of the song, searched it, and the rabbit hole opened there. I watched loads of videos on it until one day I said to myself, "why don't I play a Touhou game?", searched on youtube for "how to download touhou", found the website, and thats pretty much it.

My introduction was rather odd. Okay, so back in around 2010, I was interested in the YTPMV/MAD community at the time. So naturally, I will come across many different types of songs and sources people used. My first ever pieces of Touhou I heard were Night of Nights, Marisa Stole the Precious Thing and Ronald McDonald Insanity. However there was one other piece of media that I kept seeing. I could only tell that they were the same characters popping up time from time. It was mostly just Marisa and Reimu as I only recognized those two by design at the time. I didn't search anything up about touhou until 9 years later. I saw those pieces of media and it kept bothering me on how I didn't know what it was from. So I did a 30 minute search on where it was. And dear god, what a glorious mistake. When I found the sources, I figured out that they were the Cookie Touhou voice dramas. So I did a bit more research and found out why it has such a meme status. If you search it up, you'll also wonder how it got to this and probably say "This is really what got you into Touhou?". After that, it was a normal journey, I stumbled upon a 6 hour video called Cafe de Touhou 1-8. Then later found a channel that has videos with up to 10 hours full of music from Comiket. This only happened in about 2 or 3 weeks but I instantly got hooked on Touhou after I searched it up. It just took me almost 10 years to finally realize my fate. I later found this site when I got interested in playing touhou games and now its gonna be a year since this happened. Hopefully this will be a good one.

you know the omae wa mou song? that cute song called already dead? years ago i found that that song was actually a remix of another song called tiny little adiantrum and the creator of already dead stole that song. tiny little adiantrum was a remix as well, and you know what the original original song of already dead was? IT WAS YUUKAS POFV THEME AND I ABSOLUTELY  LOVED IT. i loved the character (yuuka) AND the music and i found out that it was from a game called touhou 9. i installed touhou, i likes it, and today im here answering this question

• 1 month later...

Those Automatic Mario videos on Youtube were how I find out about Touhou.

But I got into it years later when I played Imperishable Night, which is my favorite game of the franchise.

Marisa_gif_1.gif.6d28322ebf4b7e21d1f756b1e0f6357b.gif

I used to (still love) enjoy listening to this song called "Marisa Stole the Precious Thing",  which I found out from Windows Crazy Error videos you can find on YouTube, so then I started researching where it came from. When I found out, I noticed that Alice was in one of the multi-fandom games I was playing, so I did even more research, and when I downloaded one of the games... That's where it all started.I also watched this video called "Asriel Dreemur V.S. Marisa Kirisame", a crossover between Undertale and Touhou.(I enjoyed Undertale back then too.)

i first heard about touhou when i was frequenting smashfaqs (gamefaqs smash boards) due to people requesting for reimu to be added in smash, didn't really think much of her until i stumbled upon cirno's perfect math class which got me hooked on 2hu music and iosys stuff. Several mouths later + after learning about fumos, i finally decided to pick up the series by watching that one touhou introduction video on youtube and logging in moriyashrine.org.

by far the best thing that happened to me since picking up undertale and the my biggest regret is not joining the 2hu fandom sooner.

165057880.gifegf.gif165057880.gif

I first heard of Touhou when one my fellow piano students suggested a duet version of Cool&Create's U.N. Owen Was Her? mix (from the exact video Seamus posted a page ago) for a performance piece. So we did, and it was awesome. The basic background research on the song gave me only the name of the game, "Embodiment of Scarlet Devil," which gave me a really inaccurate picture of the nature of the series.

A few years afterward, I ended up finding more of the music, then got on a listening kick with some piano arrangements, and got so hooked on the music that I learned a bunch of it for piano. Then I downloaded EoSD to try it out, and I kinda fell in love with it on first play.

Edited by Crusader Jerome

God is my judge.

• 4 weeks later...

A very long time ago (around 2011?) I used to watch a lot of MMD videos and characters from Touhou would show up a lot in them, I really liked their designs but didn't know where they were from at the time.

A couple years later I find U.N. Owen was her? on YT and recognized Flandre, then looked up Touhou and got super into it

Until last year, I've only ever listened to the music, play fangames, draw the characters, etc. (then I got Hidden Star in Four Seasons as my first official Touhou game and I've only gotten more into the series)

I first discovered touhou when I was way younger, when I found Smooth McGroove's acapella cover of UN Owen was Her?. Here's the link if you want to listen to it. At the time I had no idea what the game was, but I liked the music and the pretty bullets. After that I found Night of Nights and Flowering Night, and sort of forgot about touhou. I sometimes remembered it existed, but never really went looking for it.

One day almost a decade later, I was playing TF2 and I happened upon the Saxton Hale mode. It was a little different than usual, since instead of just Hale, there were touhou playermodels. When it was my turn to be Hale, I ended up with Nue. At that point I knew there was an actual shitton more to touhou than I knew, and I immediately went to look up more music. Fast forward a couple years and here I am listening to touhou doujin music and playing fangames. Extremely glad I found it. Thanks Smooth and TF2 for getting me here.

Ah, it started with me coming across Night of Nights in my Youtube recommendations. I liked the music and scrolled through the comments speaking of Touhou (Mostly Sakuya, Dio Brando, and pad jokes). Other than that, I didn't bother with it, as I was more invested in anime and manga. 

After a year or so (I discovered Night of Nights at 2019), I went for a playthrough of Calamity Mod in Terraria, and saw some pretty badass weapons called 'Resurrection Butterfly', a strong pre-Moon Lord summon weapon and 'Scarlet Devil', an endgame Rogue class weapon. Since I like to consult wikis a lot, I happen to discover Touhou again and I finally decided to try Touhou, after watching some prominent Touhou fanworks such as Cirno's Perfect Math Class. I decided to download Mountain of Faith in this very website last October, and I liked it enough to warrant myself discovering more about the franchise as a whole.

Damn, the music and character designs are good.

I either come in peace, or I come to be frustrated.