How did you find Touhou?

jssf1992

I was a fan of 2D platforming games and anime back then, until I discover Touhouvania, which is a fan-made game for Touhou. I liked the lore and the characters, and because of my interest in anime I tried searching for Touhou anime then I discovered Gensou Mangekyou - Memories of Phantasm. That is the primary work that hooked me into the series, and right now I enjoy playing the official games ❤️ Touhou Forever!

Well...I had "false" memories of playing it,I really did not know about it at that time,but it was just me having wrong memories. What pretty much attracted me was my false memories.Of course,my older sister helped me in saying wether I played Touhou or not,of course,she also helped me play a touhou game.

#Touhou

"The Fool Arcana does not mean it can be taken lightly."

The first time I got into Touhou was weird to say at least. It was when I stumbled with weird beatmap (U.N Owen was Her, but with clown sound lol) on osu! when I seek for entertainment with osu! video (it was like 4 years ago?) and then I ended up found the original song and here I am, I love its music especially. 

• 1 month later...

I never expected to encounter something new at all, but here I am.

So, I was surfing through youtube for some good music of my type when suddenly I find an acapella of "U.N. Owen Was Her" or "Flandre's theme".

I thought I'll just give it a shot, and guess what, I really liked the theme.

Then I went on to discover more of touhou and finally became a big fan of the games and soundtracks. Challenging games are very appealing to me too.

Sounds like a lot of people got into Touhou through it's music and apparently fan games.

For myself it was a song from SWR "Drunk as I like". Heard it on some random tf2 gmod video years back 
Then I looked for source -> Which led me to gameplay videos of SWR -> which led me to looking for download links -> which led me to the shrine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine too is an odd one. Around 2016 I was really into super old games, and so I had the original OST for Touhou 2 appear in my recommended. Very interested, I searched up for Touhou 2 (I already had a PC 98 emulator) and I *believe* I got it from here. However, Touhou 2 is notoriously... not the best. So turned off from the series as a whole, I deleted it and didnt think of it again.

That lasted only for a few months. I was also really into the Geometry Dash community at the time. One of the songs that had recently been beaten and was causing controversy was a level called "Yatagarasu" which used the song "The Flawless Wings of Yatagarasu." This was, unknown to me, a remix of Birb boss song. I later played another level with a remix, that had the real song's name in it. I YouTubed it and groaned at "ugh touhou again, those games are trash."

And almost a year later, another level in Geometry Dash was released named "Subterranean Animism" which caused a little bit of controversy. Going through videos on it, I found out that was the name for Touhou 11. Surprised at how many Touhou games there were, I came back to here and downloaded a few, curious as to how such a seemingly bad game could last so long. I played Touhou 10 and haven't looked back.

• 5 months later...

uh well i actually got with touhou pretty recently (february 14) because of this

basically one time on a discord server (2018) someone was mentioning how they liked hentai of marisa and something was interesting to me about the name 'marisa kirisame' so i pinned the name in one of my own servers and used a bot to image search (that gave me her hsif art) but other than that i didnt think much of the whole thing, i concluded she came from an anime.

fast forward to 2019 february, im playing osu and i play the default map tear rain and think 'the blonde girl is a little familiar' but dont think much of that. then i play a map called getsurei 11.3 no candle magic (arrangement of patchy's theme) and wonder why the artwork makes the girl look like a rabbit. on my menu of maps i couldnt help but stare at the source that said 'embodiment of scarlet devil' i thought that was a pretty weird name. so, the tags of that map mentioned it being the theme of patchy, so i used google and theres that. then i googled the actual game because i wondered who would name something embodiment of scarlet devil.

then i downloaded it from some sketchy website and so i got to the player select and didnt recognize reimu but was like O H S O T H A T S M A R I S A and decided i should instantly start the game with her. i wondered what the hell i was playing but i sorta got the hang of it quickly because i at least didnt mess up anywhere on stage 1 on the first try. i really liked the character interactions so after playing more and more osu, i kept finding out that there were more touhou games, so i finally found this website and started getting them from here. i found most of the games through this website or through the wiki. thats touhou for me.

First time I ever heard about Touhou was from an Osu! beatmap - Tear Rain. I thought Reimu and Marisa were cute and googled them. Learned it was about some games. Got more interested and googled the games only to see images of the in game sprites :). My search promptly ended.

Fast forward some months - I am listening to anime music Madoka Magica OST's and Bad Apple gets put in my recommended. I watch it thinking it's something related to Madoka Magica and thought it must be from some weird spin off about it. Also the song did not give me a good impression so I closed it it never to play it again.

A couple more months pass and somehow I found EastNewSound's Un Owen Was Her and got hooooooked on the song. Thought it was the best thing ever. Listened to it nonstop for days and then after my hype went down I still put it on from time to time - once every week or so. I learned it was from Touhou and slowly became interested. Some more Touhou music got in my recommended and it's been a down hill ride from there. I kind of like the in game sprites now and love Bad Apple.

• 2 months later...

It was me finding IOSYS's Marisa Stole the Precious Thing flash sometime around 2008-2009. Found out about it through that one nico nico douga medley- you know, the one that had that automatic mario video.      

Found it really charming and looked up what else was under "TOUHOU PROJECT", which eventually led me to the official music. Music blew my socks off, eventually found out they came from the games, and then started to play those and love those as well. I remember initially being horrified at ZUN's art at first compared to what the fandom was outputting but now I find it somewhat adorable lol, especially with his recent games. I mean, it's certainly a unique art style at the very least.

So as lame as it sounds, it was basically because of internet memes.

Having discovered Undertale and Celeste, I was scouring Youtube for videos on exceptional video game soundtracks in mid-2018. One of those videos was this:

Why Solo Devs Make Great Music

This was the first time I heard about Touhou. It was a few months after when I got around to looking further into it. I naively searched for "top 10 touhou themes," and was met with this:

Touhou Top 50 Boss Themes

Two months later I could name every theme and game source in the video. I've tried my hand at some of the games, but I've never really gotten the hang of them (bad reaction time on my part). The music, on the other hand, has become a standard part of my life.

TTT

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Skelerin said:

Found the game through memes, ended up downloading LoLK and spending my entire summer trying to beat the game on normal. After that I had too much affinity for the series to let it go, so I dove headfirst into it.

Lmao, yes
someone actually try LoLK as first game
this epic

Keep spreading LoLK glory!!

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

• 1 month later...

As with most others on this forum, my introduction to the series was weird and took awhile. I don't quite remember how I found it but I started listening to the EOSD soundtrack somewhere around late 2017ish. I was also really into Pokemon at the time and started playing the Touhoumon GBA hacks. It was quite a trip playing those with no context. Eventually I decided I was gonna start playing the official games and download EOSD and LolK. I don't know how far I made it in EOSD but I made it to Clownpiece in LolK then gave up because I decided I was getting too angry over my repeated failure. Fast forward to now and I've beat 3,6,7,8, and 9! I'm still far too intimidated to try LolK again though. 

The first Touhou game that I played was Perfect Cherry Blossom years ago. As for finding this website, One day at work, I was surfing the internet, but the school that I work at has a lot of websites blocked so that the kids won't access bad sites. Luckily, I searched for Touhou, and behold, this website was one of the few that wasn't blocked by the tech administrators. 

me is pretty special too :
i had a weird phase where i was constently thinking that i was missing something, and i was starting to do a lot of different things in order to find what i was missing.
after a while, i thaught that i could discover a new kind of video game, so i started to think about what kind of games i never played and if i knew a game of such kind, and the name "touhou" crossed my mind.
without thinking twice, i immediately searched online the first touhou game that i could play (sorry pc 98) and bought it, physically.
after around two weeks of playing EoSD, i decided that this was the holy land that i have been searching my whole life, and imeditely downloaded every games, spinoffs and all (i'm not rich).
so i was just lucky i guess

• 7 months later...

Mine is...

Bad Apple! English cover-Game over nitro fun, got a link to cir9's theme-Perfect piano Lunatic princess midi-Undertale stuff-Osu-Tearrain-Sakuya boss battle-Mobile fangames-Downloading the game-Got stuck and never regret (I usually change fandom for like per 1 year, but I'm still faithful 2019-2020 and counting)

"Wait It's all Touhou from the start?"

"Always has been"

From 2012 to 2019, I was exposed by Touhou without me knowing that

Once you go in, you could never come back~

Learned about it when I was younger from Bad Apple!! and Ronald McDonald Insanity, forgot about it, and a whole bunch of stuff came up in my recommended literally 7 years later