If a Touhou character came to Smash Bros, what would be their special moves and their Final Smash?

Minecraft Steve

If a Touhou character came to Smash Bros, what would be their special moves and their Final Smash in your opinion? (Just doing this for fun)

I would think of Reimu Hakurei...

Neutral Special: Reimu throws a simple ticket (or whatever it's called) 
Side Special: Reimu blasts Yin-Yang orbs depending on which direction she is facing
Up Special: Reimu charges and flies into the air, if still in the air, she can float until she gets to the floor
Down Special: Reimu emits an aura which can be used for counterattacking 
Final Smash: 'Spirit Sign "Fantasy Seal"' is used; throws large colourful aura balls (or whatever it's called lol) at opponents. (kinda like Mario's final smash)

Do you have a Touhou character you could think of a move set for? 

スティーブ

I'm not really sure about the move set but I would like to see Sakuya more, but I guess Reimu is more recognizable. I would be kind of scared too because I feel like the community of the games that come to smash get a little bit worse, the best example of this is persona 5 imo.

Yep, I made some Touhou mods for RoA which idk maybe you'd like to see. You can find them as well as some discussion on other Touhou RoA mods here: https://moriyashrine.org/forums/topic/562-touhou-mods-in-rivals-of-aether

So while the moveset I created is of course one interpretation, I think there are a bunch of ways Reimu's moveset could be implemented. Since the mod I made used sprites from Hisoutensoku, I wanted to make the moveset be representative of how she is in the Touhou fighting games, however when it comes to representing the series as a whole I think her moveset could be taken in all kinds of different directions. Even though I already made a functional moveset for her once, I still have loads of ideas for completely different attacks she could have. So for me I think there's simply too many options to suggest what her special moves might be, as it depends on the overall context of the character design (especially when you start to introduce things like special moves that interact with other special moves, or special moves that interact with a central gimmick). I just want to be surprised by how Sakurai decides to interpret the character and hope she isn't an annoying campy projectile spammer even though she probably will be. 

For things like the final smash though, I definitely think fantasy seal would be the most fitting, although a cutscene attack where she teams up with other protagonists could also work.

5 hours ago, Garison DeCrick said:

Ah yeah, a Reimu For Smash thread!

First off, I really hope she has a float mechanic similar to Peach/Daisy. Plus multiple jumps considering how air-focused the series is. Considering both Joker and Sephiroth have a winged-meter, it shows they're fine with at least reusing similar mechanics.

Neutral Special: I imagine something similar to Buskerdog's Reimu character in the Rivals of Aether workshop, where you can charge the B move into 3 different tiers from Small, Middle to Large. Similar to Sephiroth's B movie. Plus, this'll be the Kirby copy ability so it'll be good representation on that front! (Kirby mains rejoice!)

Hide contents

Haxy on Twitter: "stan reimu kirby… "

Up Special: Again taking inspiration from Buskerdog's character, (If he actually joins this thread, I may have taken everything he wanted so say, whoops!~) it'd be cool if it's similar to Incineroars where she dives up and straight down. Except diagonally up and diagonally down. Since she already has a way to fly upwards with double jumps and floats, having a way for her to descend onto the ground quickly will help further cement her flying abilities.

Down Special: I can imagine them using a counter since a lot of DLC character's have it. I think it'll be funny if this was Fantasy Nature where she becomes invulnerable for a short time (based on Marisa's added time limit for the spell card). Or maybe whenever she dodges this is active for a very short time lol.

Final Smash: Fantasy Seal is pretty spot on already, so I'd go with that as well. If they wanted to be creative, maybe she could have something similar to Min Min where all of the Touhou characters would show up and help her out. This would be insane considering how many characters there are, but it's something I could see Sakurai doing considering how much he loves referencing the original series.

In terms of how likely she is to make it in, I might be biased since she's my most wanted, but with all the third parties that have gotten in, she's definitely in a better place now than she was back in the Brawl days. But no matter who gets in, I'm still excited to see who will be the last two remaining firsters in the Second Fighter's Pass! Still can't believe it's the last year for the announced DLC already...

While I personally my most wanted Touhou character would be Okuu, let's be realistic here, Reimu is the most obvious choice. At most, Utsuho could be a Mii Costume for Mii Gunner (this would actually fit really well!)

This is something I see mentioned often when the idea of Reimu for Smash is talked about. Personally though, I feel certain Touhou communities have already gotten worse depending on what places on the Internet you browse XD. It's like that with all fandoms, not just those that crossover with Smash specifically. There will always be a few Bad Apples, no matter where you go~

But what's inevitable is that ZUN wants to expand the series as shown through the many Touhou mobile titles that have recently released like Cannonball (RIP) and Lost Word. Of course, with more people comes more crazy people, but that's just fundamental to human nature in general. A drop of tainted water does not pollute the entire ocean... or however the quote goes lol. No matter what happens, there will always be places where people can communicate things in peace, like here lol. 

What can be determined is where ZUN expands the series into. And the best venture is with Smash Bros considering the love to the series Masahiro Sakurai gives it. It would give Touhou the most representation out of any other crossover. Even ZUN himself said in an interview it's something he wants back in March 2019.

I like your points! I could definitely agree with those thoughts there. Small, medium and large tiers for the Neutral special is a good idea in my opinion, (I'm a Kirby main lol) I also like the fact that maybe instead of just Fantasy Seal there could be a bunch of other Touhou characters coming to aid Reimu. Very epic!

Okuu could be a costume for Mii Gunner; I think that'll fit so well! I could imagine Youmu as a Swordfighter costume too.

Since Touhou is quite popular in Japan, I hope Sakurai will add her in soon. There will be some cool Touhou tracks and remixes as well!! Woot!!
But what if Marisa went into Smash Bros too? Well, what if she was an alternate skin to Reimu, kinda like Hero, Steve, and Bowser Jr. but with different stuff? That'll probably be cool.

スティーブ

23 minutes ago, buskerdog said:

Yep, I made some Touhou mods for RoA which idk maybe you'd like to see. You can find them as well as some discussion on other Touhou RoA mods here: https://moriyashrine.org/forums/topic/562-touhou-mods-in-rivals-of-aether

So while the moveset I created is of course one interpretation, I think there are a bunch of ways Reimu's moveset could be implemented. Since the mod I made used sprites from Hisoutensoku, I wanted to make the moveset be representative of how she is in the Touhou fighting games, however when it comes to representing the series as a whole I think her moveset could be taken in all kinds of different directions. Even though I already made a functional moveset for her once, I still have loads of ideas for completely different attacks she could have. So for me I think there's simply too many options to suggest what her special moves might be, as it depends on the overall context of the character design (especially when you start to introduce things like special moves that interact with other special moves, or special moves that interact with a central gimmick). I just want to be surprised by how Sakurai decides to interpret the character and hope she isn't an annoying campy projectile spammer even though she probably will be. 

For things like the final smash though, I definitely think fantasy seal would be the most fitting, although a cutscene attack where she teams up with other protagonists could also work.

I'll go check out that mod there, despite not knowing how to use mods lol

True about the moveset stuff, she has lots of moves. I hope she isn't some camp projectile person as well, they're annoying lol

About the Final Smash, I could agree it would be a cutscene with all the Touhou protags instead of some Mario-style one actually. Nice thinking there.

スティーブ

Archived