about controller support

Tamashi_42

I was wondering if I hooked my Xbox controller up to my pc would be able to play any games with it, the bullet hells are playable with keyboard controls but the fighters are not as playable. if possible to configure the games to use a control please let me know how to do so, I am pretty new.

The way I like to use controller on the touhou games, is by connecting them to steam (by clicking "add a non-steam game" and adding the respective touhou game), and then running the game in big picture mode. You can set presets for which buttons do what, and it has given me no problems so far. It's really simple and easy to use. If you need any more help, just ask me, and I'll be happy to help.

Howdy! Stay puffie! ^-^

Controller support in the fighting games can be... lacking, depending on which fighting game you are playing. For IaMP, I believe you can change the button layout using a config.exe, but its a bit janky, and I think there's no way to make the game use the d-pad instead of the joystick. For SWR/Hisoutensoku, you can assign which buttons do which actions within the game's settings menu itself, but there's still no way to use the d-pad instead of the joystick. In more recent fighting games like AoCF it's better, you can configure the game's controls including the directional inputs all from the settings menu. (I can't remember how it is in HM and ULiL, but imagine it's the same as AoCF).

So, it depends on what game you are playing and what controls you want to use. Rorogogo's suggestion is good particularly if you are playing the older fighting games, since their built in controller support is less good.

Btw, if you want to play the bullet hells with a controller, you can assign all of the controls from the game's menu, and if you need to change things like controller sensitivity you can do it using the config.exe that comes with the game.

Archived