Return of the Remix Tournament

jssf1992

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

N.I.G.H.T.M.A.R.E -Nhato Remix-

Oh yeah, when it has Nhato Remix in the title, you know it's gonna be good. This has a really catchy vocal, a funky bass line, great variety and progression throughout the song which keeps things mixed up, interesting, and most importantly moving; and all the different layers of instrumentation just work so well with each other. Don't get me started on that main chorus. 8/10.

Blue Desire

I like this synth remix, it feels very bouncy and also atmospheric, and has this nice upbeat energy to it. I can't think of anything in particular it does well, it's just plain good. I also wasn't expecting Let's Live in a Lovely Cemetery and Rigid Paradise to make cameos, which was a very welcome surprise, especially given the song's length. 7/10.

Sky Dust

Okay, controversial opinion time, I don't like Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind. It's easily my least favourite final boss theme. That being said, for most of this song you don't actually hear that much of it, so I guess it's kind of a non-problem lol. Even so, I wasn't very into this. It isn't bad, but it just came across as kind of average to me. 5/10.

1. I like Nhato mostly for their complextro songs, but yeah after i noticed Nu-DIsco i could only think about Shibayan (also 2:28-2:57 ❤) funky bassline and vocal that reminds me 3L voice (maybe it's actually her voice i'm not sure) it's also really Nhato and Shibayan-like so you can literally tell it's one of those artists even without seeing a title

8/10

2. So not a super fan of synth songs but not really enemy either (rather ambivalent) however a fan of theme which can compensate it somehow in this one, song is composed in a way it feels really "alive" and it doesn't start to feel bland after listening to this beat for a while (especially how long song is) also dat Old Yuanxian 4:58-5:24

6/10 tho

3. Damn that would be candidate to highest grade from this round just because it's Cosmic Mind (one of my top 3 themes) however i was a little disappointed after i listened a bit because song clearly is not my dish even though vocal is pretty good. I just don't like low tempo rock-ish songs (maybe with really few exceptions but it's not one of those)

decent vocal and theme is a + but i can't give more than 5/10 sorry

7: N.I.G.H.T.M.A.R.E. -Nhato Remix-
I was surprised how much I liked this. It starts out relatively simple, the vocals carrying the body of the melody. Every time the vocals cut, the music picks up to create a dreamy contrast to the punchy techno going on around it. The pitch-correction leading into and over the chorus (plus the extra-punch of Locked Girl) lend to the piece's theme. The dip section takes a step back from the rest of the piece for perspective (I didn't feel that way at first, but I get that impression from the source remix and lyrics). Altogether, I'll be listening to this one for some time. 9/10

8: Blue Desire
I love Desire Drive, and this remix successfully retains the tone while making a more smoothed-out experience. I appreciate the interspersed freestyle sections, though I wish there was more of them. The biggest problem is the piece's length. It goes on far too long with not enough to justify it's duration. 6/10

9: Sky Dust
This sounds like an anime theme; that or a rhythm challenge from Yakuza. Even the lyrics seem to point in that direction, and that's not a bad thing. I know this is a bit nit-picky, but the choice to end the piece with a fade-out instead of a final chord bothers me. It messes up the progression the piece seems to be going for. 6/10
also I personally can't hear Cosmic Mind, but the song is still alright

Edit: Now that I've read the other reviews, I realize the "freestyling" in Blue Desire was cameo motifs. That's impressive, and I wish I had noticed it when I was initially listening; but I still say it's too long.

TTT

i dunno why but i cant type long today

1. disco also an easy win, though the nu- variation kinda hit and miss
this one a hit 8/10
also dont hate me, aint usually that fond of nhato 

2.i uhh dont feel any different from other synth song
it feel really repetative, though i like the part after 5:20
maybe i just dont like desire drive? but i have some in list.
if it's retro syhthwave im sold but no. 4/10

3. i like the vocals, 2:50 is supreme
also yeah i dont usually like byak theme
but this one of few exception

also i see ya ?️

image.thumb.png.e821f90522f31693cdb6de70f9ebda84.png

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

10 minutes ago, Drunken_Flower said:

also i see ya

I use shortcut keys in typing, and sometimes I try to go from Ctrl+i to deactivate italicization to Shift+Enter to do a small paragraph break. Then I hit Ctrl+Enter instead, and my incomplete post goes public. It's really annoying, especially because I have no one to blame but myself. ?

Also I didn't know y'all could see our IPs. Not a big deal I guess, but interesting.

TTT

We really are doing this fast aren't we?

Personally, I quite liked Sky Dust, partly due to my liking Cosmic Mind quite a bit . . .

Next, an orchestral of Grimoire of Alice and Alice in Wonderland:

A bit complicated here, our participant had hard time finding this, so, we have a long video, but it's the first song.

And it's an English cover, no wonder it was hard to find . . .

Finally, a . . . different mix of Grimoire of Alice:

1. oh i instantly recognize this one, it's from Ancient Treasures by Oriens.
the whole album is great if you want dramatic orchestral, me myself submitted a song from this album in the first tournament.
one of the song also used in Osana Reimu, which lead me to this album from the first place.
iirc i uploaded the album here??? apparently not... im pretty sure i planned to upload the whole circle.
for the song itself, personally not the best considering the whole album, but still great 9/10
also pretty sure that aint unplugged, he work alone so no way.

2. quite lucky of me someone uploaded this right before the tournament, aint hafta deal with the uploading since i feel awkward doing it with some of the member is around vicinity.
whaddaya think? one of few rare legit english. listening in language you can comprehend really feels different eh?
the second song is also great if you wanna listen, but it aint in the competition.

3. the first thing i feel- chill
the breath used too often, i feel my personal space invaded
for the other parts, really upbeat, it's indeed has game feeling to it.
and for some reason i can listen this for quite a long time, probably that's what's game music is 6.5/10
still tryin to rember what game that have those kind of music

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

1. Quite nice orchestral piece, theme is also pretty nice not super fan of orchestral songs too but it's nice 

However i just noticed 3:22 is where main dish starts (at least for me) easily one of best themes for me too songs also gets a little more intense so overall it's pretty good after 3:22

7/10

2. Damn someone's unlucky i guess because i hate jazz/swing or even despise electro swing too english vocal is acceptable but doesn't make things any better, but yeah jazz and it's subs are easily one of my most hated genres (pretty much no exceptions) i've tried to grow fond to it several times but never succeeded. I don't want to be a jerk and understand effort put to find this song but,

I can't just give more than 4/10

3. Aww someone played Devil Decline here i see. This game soundtrack is really good and for me this boss theme is one of better songs from it, also like i said above + for theme.
I still remember when it played first time during battle in expansion of game, positively surprised someone picked it tho.

Spoiler

Mima

Overall i like it and it brings good memories as well so 8/10

PS: I noticed you can't just use spoiler for one or two words middle sentence because it's just ending up like that above

Grimoire of Alice / Alice in Wonderland Orchestral

MMMMMM YES ORCHESTRA

I've been looking forward to finding some new orchestral pieces in this tournament. I feel we've had loads of techno pieces coming up in the earlier rounds, and while I do like those, there's normally more variety each round, so I'm glad that there's lots of very different stuff coming up now.

As for this orchestra, it's kind of difficult to rate it because it's two pieces in one lol, but I'll do my best. The first section is very powerful and kinda militant, but I do like the kind of menacing feeling it has going on. It's very dramatic. I also like later on when the tempo picks up with the drums. I like the second section a lot, it feels pretty grand and atmospheric, and it also somewhat reminds me of Monster Hunter's main themes. It has a bit of the same march thing going on as in the first section, but it feels more proud here rather than imposing. Overall I will say 8/10.

Blue Diamond

At first I thought it was Love-Coloured Master Spark, but then it became apparent it was Capital City of Flowers in the Sky. This jazz is very smooth, however jazz-style singing isn't really my thing; even though the lyrics were in English I wasn't paying much attention to them. Piano was nice but I personally think I can only give it a 5/10, sorry but for me at least it doesn't stand out as more than average.

Boss Battle 4 (Grimoire of Alice)

Oh, fan game OST. I've never heard of this one, what's this game about? (My first impressions are it might be an SMT / Persona style game.) Anyway, I do like tracks that use spooky sounds in them, particularly for video game soundtracks. Overall I do think it's a pretty groovy spooky boss theme, I especially like the part where the song goes more ambient after the first time playing the main melody, and that climax of the song after the second time playing the main melody; I also like the drops like the one at 40 seconds in, and that bit at 2.15 which it uses before looping... I'm kind of on the fence over whether I want to give this a 6 or a 7, but I think I'll go with 7/10.

1 hour ago, buskerdog said:

what's this game about? (My first impressions are it might be an SMT / Persona style game.)

It's second part of Strawberry Bose trilogy (all parts except 3 can even be downloaded on this site)
It's something comparable to SaGa RPG series produced by Square Enix so turn-based RPG

https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Devil_of_Decline

if someone is further interested in it

10: Sealed Sword / Alice in Wonderland
Y'all know I love orchestral, and these are my favorite pieces from Mystic Square. Both feature an epic classical style, and nail it completely. But where Blue Desire was too long, these pieces are both too short. If the arranger had expanded upon the little bit of Doll Judgement in the first piece (or even better, interspersed such references throughout), and stretched the build-up and interlude a bit more, this could have easily been the best Grimoire of Alice remix I've ever heard. As is, both pieces feel lacking. Considering that the second piece is shorter than the first, maybe it would have been better to put it first and create a transition between the two. Regardless, they're still really good orchestral remixes. 7/10

11: Blue Diamond
Slow jazz longing-love songs aren't my thing. That being said, I have to admire the skill with which this piece was adapted. Capitol City of Flowers seems to lend itself to the mood, but the arrangement still brings it out with more strength than I would have expected. 7/10

12: Song of the Mad Demon
Good progression in this song. The intro captures the sinister and imposing feeling of a late[r]-game boss, while the main melody adds in the heroic chord progression. But again, it feels really short. I have yet to find a remix of Grimoire of Alice that fully captures the climactic feeling that I believe the piece deserves. 6/10

TTT

1. Honestly not really my style of music especially it sort of reminds me jazz-ish songs which i just can't handle (especially the chorus).
Beat in general is a little catchy but no more and vocal is mediocre or at best slightly above average so it's not bad not good either at least in my opinion

6/10

2. Fantasy Maiden Wars E huh, I remember i've played this game but not E (not sure which one was it tho).
It's not that bad but i just can't really listen to it too much, I quite like theme (prefer Alice in Wonderland tho) also like my predecessor said it probably feels way better to listen to it in game than just track alone

7/10

3. It was hard to pick between 7 and 8 considering i gave previous track 7. This one sounds better for me and i like it more but on other hand i don't think it deserves 8, i also don't want to use decimal numbers like i did it once before. So yeah on second thought i decided to give it 7 too (i just like it more than Dancing Doll but not enough to give it ?

7/10

13: Blooming Season
Simultaneously flamboyant and powerfully elegant, this remix fits the character perfectly! The application of the trumpets and strings over the more standard pop percussion give it a party feel, but there's also a serious edge to it. It's like a Persona 5 track, almost. The upcoming 17.5 has resurged some interest in this theme, and I'm more than pleased about it. I wish I could find the lyrics, though. 8/10

14: Dancing Doll
The jagged soundfonts ruin this piece for me. I can't tell what mood they're going for; elegant, intense, or some rectification of the two. When they drop the the electric guitar (or whatever it's supposed to be) and commit to the more elegant side, they exhibit some potential for the piece. But the choice of instrument for carrying the main melody derails the thing completely. 5/10

15: A Star of Hope Arises in the Blue Sky
Anybody else notice the lack of chiptune arrangements on the shrine? This isn't the best I could pull out, but I believe it showcases what the style is capable of. The sharper sounds add an intensity to the track without loosing the feeling of heroic committal from the original. There's a uniqueness of sound in this area, and there's at least a few artists out there that are willing to get creative with it. 8/10

TTT

7 hours ago, Garison DeCrick said:

Either this is Ken’s pick, or someone did a big brain maneuver and chose a song from his channel

Spoiler

Well, looks like a job for an amateur detective! ?️‍♂️ Let us review the clues, and deduce the culprit.

Considering the video's upload date is the same day I entered the tournament, and the video has been unlisted since its upload,  . . .

It was definitely buskerdog. Discount-Holmes does it again.

Similarly, Blooming Season was uploaded unlisted on the 15th, just before the tournament began and while there was only one participant left to submit. So I'm pretty sure that was buskerdog, too.

I had way too much fun with this. ?

TTT

1. Ooh Karento, their music is usually..."tantalizing". dont look at their album covers
the banger really feels, it so powerful yet elegant
gave me disco vibes :mochi:
it's not disco is it? and it's nowhere jazz. what genre this is?
10/10 sure it's buskerdog's 3rd channel
here the lyric, transliterated not translated, use DeepL or sumtin or learn japanes

Spoiler

BLOOMING SEASON

春は出会いの季節だなんではしゃぐ人の声聞こえてなぜかチクリ
強いはずのわたしがなんでかしらね
新品の季節がやってくるのが嗚呼...さみしいの...

Haru wa deai no kisetsu da nande hashagu hito no koe kikoete nazeka chikuri
tsuyoi hazu no watashi ga nande ka shirane
shinpin no kisetsu ga yagate kuru no ga aa... samishii no...

今年もふわりふわり咲き出す桃色のはなびらが
楽しみだとあなたは言うわだけどね
ひらりはらり散ったらあなたは忘れてしまうでしょうわかるのよ

kotoshimo fuwari fuwari saki dasu momoiro no hanabira ga
tanoshimi da to anata wa iu wa dakedone
hirari harari chittara anata wa wasurete shimau deshou wakaru no yo

Blooming, Blooming now それでいい
心さらってあげるわ
次の季節が来てこの花の色を忘れてしまう時まで

ブルーミング、ブルーミンッグ ナウ  sore de ii
kokoro saratte ageru wa
tsugi no kisetsu ga kite kono hana no iro o wasurete shimau toki made

今年の流行り色を考えて笑うあの子たちの背中見つめている
羨ましいわけじゃない、そういうんじゃない
移りゆく季節に置いてけぼりで嗚呼...さみしいの...

kotoshi no hayari iro o kanngaete warau ano ko tachi no senaka mitsumete iru
urayamashii wake janai, souiun janai
utsuri yuku kisetsu ni oitekebori de aa... samishi no..

「草木が生い茂る月」なんて意味を持った名前の
暦なんだとあなたは言うわそれでも
新しい風に乗りサヨナラを告げることもある
知ってるわ

[Kusagi ga oishigeru tsuki] nande imi o motta namae no
Koyomi nanda to anata iu wa soredemo
atarashii kaze ni nori sayonara o tsugeru koto mo aru
shitteru wa

弱いわたしを隠して嗚呼...

ブルーミング、ブルーミンッグ ナウ  sore de ii
Yowai watashi o kakushite aa...

ひらりひらり散りゆく花びらとわたしは似ている
わかるわよ

Hirari harari chiriyuku hanabira to watashi wa niteiru
wakaru wa yo

弱いわたしを隠して
盃に浮かんだ花びらの記憶ごと飲み干した時まで
(Someday I can forget the newly blooming flowers.)

ブルーミング、ブルーミンッグ ナウ sore de ii
Yowai watashi o kakushite
sakazuki ni ukannda hanabira no kioku goto nomihoshita toki made
「サームデイ アイ カン フォーゲット ザ ニウーリ ブルーミング フローワー」

//comment: why the heck they use this complicated kanji [嗚呼] for "aa"

2. the guitar really ruin it eh?
but then again what's this mood meant to be? i confus.
also the arrangement seems the same as original with different instrument and some additional melody.
probably will sound better with context while playing the game, i know some music play better with supporting material ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
???3.33/10

3. first thing i noticed is the fast paced background melody feels really chaotic.
the other part indeed has retro vibes to it, not chiptune enough for me though.
i prefer thoroughly 8-bit type music.
this one reminds me of bouhou youyoumu, the arrangement really the same
7/10

also y'all keep mentioning P5
if ya want P5 music vibes, Pizuya's Cell released a whole album of it

P.S. Holyshit i accidentally opened pizuya's cell youtube channel and read the url name, i dunno they changed name from barrage am ring, i was about to put one of barrage am ring song here (though the song not from pizuya).

Blooming Season

A very jovial sounding remix. I'm not really sure what genre I would call this, but the trumpet is definitely the standout; and the singing compliments it very well. I'd very much like to hear more Touhou music in this style, if anyone knows where I could find it. I wish I had more to say about this remix since I like it so much, but I just can't think of much else to describe it. 9/10.

Dancing Doll

I find the violins at the beginning to sound quite grating, and the electric guitar feels a bit... echo-y? But quality of the instruments aside, my biggest problem with this remix is that it's basically just the same as Doll Judgement, it sounds like they just took a MIDI of the original song, changed the instruments and added one extra part at times. I guess maybe that was the point if it's game OST, but even then this doesn't feel like a satisfactory improvement or different perspective of the original. I can only give it a 3/10.

A Star of Hope Arises in the Sky 

Hat detected.

A very retro-sounding arrangement, although again it feels less of a remix and more of a remaster, but at least this one successfully manages to capture a different style. That being said... I'm not actually sure what exactly that style is meant to be. Still, this actually sounds quite good, has a certain bounciness to it, so I'll give it a 5/10.

By the way, the Japanese characters spelling out English words at the bottom is cursed, and there appears to be something seriously wrong with Reimu's arm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so after reading other people's reviews I just want to say a few things:

1. Ken does a very good job of describing Blooming Season so thanks for helping clean up some of my thoughts about the track.

2. Ken says that the third track is meant to be chiptune. However, I agree when he says it isn't the best, because in my opinion this doesn't sound like chiptune. If you don't mind, I'd like to point to the bonus arrangement of Candid Friend on the Hopeless Masquerade OST as a better example.

3. Garison, there are so many things I want to say, but I've decided it's probably better to say nothing.

Okay . . . we're on the last set.  We really burned through this didn't we?

Starting the end is . . . another Alice song:

Second is a nice arrangement of Lunatic Princess:

Finally, we have . . . I'm not sure what this was originally, but it's techno now.

Alright, let's finish this up!

Beyond that Door

I think this is Grimoire of Alice, although throughout the majority of the piece I can't tell that it's based on something. Not that it has to sound recognisably Touhou for it to be good, it's just something I couldn't help but notice while listening. It definitely sounds of "upbeat anime song", which isn't something I particularly love, but I like the simplistic beat the music has, it works really well with the rest of the parts. Overall even though I don't love it I do think it's good. It gets a solid 6/10 from me.

Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess (folk)

A very jolly arrangement. Honestly how they adapted Lunatic Princess into this is actually quite clever. I do think it could it could stand to have a bit more going on throughout the piece, but what's there is very upbeat and energetic, and it certainly succeeds at what it's trying to be. 5/10 overall, it is a bit simplistic.

Lost Technology

I guess this is a Theme of Eastern Story remix? It also sounds kinda like Beloved Tomboyish girl later on lol. I'm not really a fan of remixes that go hard techno like this. It sounds good at points, but overall it feels pretty uninteresting. The overuse of voice samples really doesn't help that. I don't think it's completely lacking but it's only a 4/10 for me.

1. more alice huh, first thing that popped on my mind was audio quality on video i'm not sure if it's that old or something messed up during render or maybe mp3 quality was just low, but well it's acceptable.
Now about song, another calm piece that i'm not really fond with (it also kinda reminds me FELT songs) however vocal is pretty decent, it got animation and i also quite like story that lies behind this song so i'll give it a

7/10 for animation, story and vocal

2. ok this folk arrangement feels pretty nice until something like ~1:30 but the more i'm listening to it the more i feel it's just pretty much looped, i like how instruments mix together in it but as someone also said it's a bit simple,
and while song doesn't need to be complex to be good there are some borders with it as well can't give it too high score because it first raised my expectations a little and then crushed them when it started to get repetitve

6/10

PS: Third song is arrange of Tomorrow Will Be Special, Yesterday Was Not from MoF

Also you guys probably noticed but all of my picks in this tournament were more or less electronic stuff, i noticed not everyone likes it too much and while it's true i should be a bit more unique with picks i just simply realised it too late and also electronic music is a water i like to swim in more or less over other genres like Rock/Metal/Pop etc. I also really like harder electronic songs (3rd song is simple example but i like ones that hits even harder too), some niche genres, most stuff that includes "Psy" (Psytrance, Psydub, Psystyle and list goes on.) but i'm trying to just don't pick stuff like that here since it prob would get score below average.

1. ah yes diao ye zong
i managed to remove some of my burnout, now i can listen to RD again
though merami voice is still a bit too sharp for me
idk if it's the video rendering quality or it is the original, i often heard clipping in merami voice. like this song for example, the opening is deafening. imma blame the uploader.
and other thing, that's a long song. the bg music is just RD-ish, you notice it easily.
the story is nice, though im not really fond telling it in 3rd person perspective
6/10

2. eyy Floating Cloud, i definitely got em uploaded here
they great for irish folk, one of few actually
the song itself got the festive feeling. or that's just how irish folk is hmm ?
really great to listen in autumn, the harvest season. probably spring too? but ehh..
8/10

talk about the season stuff, i was about submitting a summer song, it was great, but then the season change and then i don't feel like it.

3. ohno Rolling contact
it says [Tomorrow will be Special, Yesterday was not], i heard it in 4:22. not really surprising, they often put their own original at the climax and the touhou either last or calm parts.
i can see what's this song used for, either rhythm game music or action mmd.
i quite like this one actually, 7/10

their music can be described as "generic", that can both meant good and bad
good if you like what's hip, but not so great if you like "exclusive". surprisingly great for listening while workout.
their usage of Western samples usually ruins the who want to taste Japanese stuff from the first place.
they are great for baiting new people, make them listen to 2hu without knowing!! and when they realized it, they already deep in the rabbit hole mwahahahaha.

i do recommend checking Electrocute 3 album and only that from me for the time being in regards of electro stuff.
havent listened the 4th, maybe worth it??? idk.
i also also recommend check Yabba Ragga album if you like, especially the 2nd, you can guess the genre
or Toho Disco Night Fever, it quite decent

also fun fact : Amamiya uploaded 49 electro, 29 trance, 10 DnB, 7 hardcore, 6 dubstep, 4 rock, 3 funk, 1 chillstep, 1 eurobeat and 16 non touhou

16: Beyond that Door
Alright . . . I irrationally dislike this one. The music arrangement isn't strong enough to stand without the lyrics, so I have to judge the piece in its completeness. The English subtitles depict the piece as a song that's trying much too hard to be more inspiring and profound than it is. After watching the video first, I realized I wasn't going to be objective about how the piece sounded without listening to it without the visuals. Having done that, I can admit potential in the piece. But I'm still not comfortable with my estimation, because the chorus is in English and keeps throwing me off! I'm listening to it right now for the 5th time, and I still believe I'm not giving it the credit it deserves. Hopefully I can come back to it later, but for now I can't get over my initial impressions. 5/10

17: Road to the Moon
I'll talk more about this one later. For now, I've mentioned previously my Irish folk tastes, but my more forefront appreciation for this piece is its contrast to the other kinds of music I hear in the fandom. It doesn't have the strong progression that I usually look for, nor the complexity of instrumentation. Instead, it does just enough to accomplish its goal as a cheerful and relaxed remix. 7/10

18: Lost Technology
What is this? I honestly can't tell. It sounds like an epic build up type piece, but I can't figure out what it's building up to. There are random sounds playing that don't contribute to the music. I don't understand. At least it has a good beat? 3/10

TTT

7 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

also fun fact : Amamiya uploaded 49 electro, 29 trance, 10 DnB, 7 hardcore, 6 dubstep, 4 rock, 3 funk, 1 chillstep, 1 eurobeat and 16 non touhou

: D (used space to prevent it from converting to emoji)

Anyway about Rolling Contact they are probably my favourite or at least one of them

image.thumb.png.920d8520592b236a4f687039113c723f.png

Archived