Return of the Remix Tournament

jssf1992

The remix tournament has returned.  Sorry that I clearly let too much time pass between these.

This is essentially a game of sharing and rating music remixes that we have found.  It's not really much of a competition, and there's not really much of a prize in the end, so don't worry about anyone taking this too seriously.  It will go like this: every participant will send three remixes/arrangements/etc to me via PM.  Then, I will post three of all the pieces in the thread, and everyone will comment on them and rate them.  A day or two later (depending on how many people we have and how fast they post), I will post the next set and we'll do it again.  We continue like this until we've gone through all the pieces, and we find out who had the highest rated song, best average rating, etc.

So, if you want to join, post here, then send me a PM with your choices.  Sign-ups will last one week, assuming we have enough interested people.

While rating by numbers is arbitrary, I can compile them into a percentage at the end so we can see who has the rated song and best average, so that would be preferable.

Also, you might want to hold off on creepy/spooky/otherwise Halloween-esque remixs.  I hope to actually follow this up with another remix tournament specifically looking for that flavor for Halloween.

Currently In:

Ken Hisuag

Amamiya Yuki

Buskerdog

Garison Decrick

Drunken Flower

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

i'm awake

though it be nice if the participant aint the same as previous.
someone new pls join
Help.png.f57b7e26655160d850b0383c698a8ef1.png

I probably should mention this on the Discord server.  No telling how much that may help though.

Alright i'm first i guess

1. So yeah i like this theme quite a lot and song is also pretty good (i also like lot of DnB songs so)
7.5/10 (if it cannot be decimal number then round it up to 8/10)

3. Not exactly my type of music but it's isn't bad either, still i rather prefer harder rock or ones closer to metal, gothic
6/10

PS: Second song is arrange of Immortal Smoke

so yeah i kinda forgot how to review, not that i know from the start ww
ive been removing lotta hatred so... i kinda like everything now which is problematic i guess

1. actually i haven't listened to the new tracks just yet, dunno why.
maritumix definitely got some place in my list, i like their ambient dnb.
This one fine, not that i love em, most likely if it playing randomly in my list aint bother skipping it.
still thinking what kinda usage and situation would fit this song ? 6/10

2. i like the voice actually, surprisingly soft for electro genre, since the opposite is the cause of my problem with other electro songs.
the bg music itself not so chaotic. that usually also the problem i have with electro, no limitation, peeps keep adding stuff and made it feel "cramped".
the ending kinda sudden though. 8/10

3. nice this one a fun one
the start sound like someone complaining from far away lol
i specifically like it at 0:23 - 0:44 part. though getting farther to the song it feel more and more chaotic, but i think that's the mood hmmmm 7.5/10

8 hours ago, Amamiya Yuki- said:

PS: Second song is arrange of Immortal Smoke

also wdym, i definitely heard "At the end of Spring" UFO st1 theme
ya meant the 3rd? still no that's Master Spark
and for bragging rights the 1st definitely Idolatrize World

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

1: Idola Deus
This is one of those remixes that make me wish for a better understanding of music theory. There's a progression to this piece that keeps it climactic all the way through, despite its starting intensity. I consider it to be a fulfillment of the source track's potential. 9/10

2: 4th Radiance
At first I couldn't figure out what this was a remix of, and as a result I had difficulty following the piece. Now knowing what it is, I can appreciate the adaptation of the melody into the vocals with the differing chord progression enabling the targeted genre. So for a remix of a lesser-remixed piece, it's pretty good. That being said, it doesn't seem to be leading up to anything (and the sudden cut-off doesn't help). 4/10

3: Flying Marisa!!
I saw this was COOL&CREATE, and assumed it would be nightcore. Consequently, the intro took me off guard in a good way. The main body of the piece, though . . . I like what he was going for, especially in his method of adapting the source motifs. I can't place the style, though; it feels like it's trying to be two things at once, and succeeding. Regardless, it comes out as a really fun track. 6/10

TTT

Idola Deus:

Idolatrise World is just such a hype song, I've heard many remixes and this one too is one I'm already familiar with. I like how it leans into the techno instruments a lot, but also has layers provided by more traditional sounding instruments, and that electric guitar that joins in towards the end. This song seems to walk a very fine line between building tension and releasing it. Not my favourite Idolatrise World remix though. 7/10.

I actually happen to know of another Idolatrise World remix with the same title. It's pretty underrated too, probably would have been good to put in this remix tournament. Maybe I'll place it in Musical Discoveries later.

4TH Radiance:

My reaction to this was... wow, this is nice. It's got to be eurobeat inspired, but is also sounds a bit of... dubstep? And the voice is amazing too, and works great with the song. Overall, it felt like something I haven't really heard from Touhou before, and I like it a lot. A really good remix of a theme you don't commonly hear, but it gets a minus point for the end being cut off. 7/10.

Flying Marisa!!

You may have noticed that this song was uploaded by myself? Well also maybe you didn't, since it's an alternate channel with a different profile picture, but whatever. This song actually comes from an album that I own physically, which I bought last year when I went on holiday to Japan. It was at a small shop with a lot of Touhou doujin music in one corner, and I selected which CD to get more or less randomly, judging only by the cover and the doujin circle. I had a closer look after I actually bought it, and I what I ended up getting was Touhou Guitar Jyuku -Ei- (Ei referring to Eiyashou, since it's an album based on Imperishable Night), an album of guitar-focused arranges which mostly occupy the metal or rock genres, but also has detours into classic guitar for some lighter pieces. I think most pieces in the album are alright, but are best listened to together, making something greater than the sum of their parts.

This song though. Hands down, best track in the album. Everything from the changes in speed, to the ups and downs in energy, to melodies that are just all over the place, everything in this is sheer chaos that just oozes personality (and it fits Marisa like a glove). A 10/10 for me, I love this.

I haven't been able to find any of the pieces from this album (or any of their guitar albums for that matter, it's part of a series) online save for one, which is why I put this up myself. That video is unlisted, and I don't plan to put the entire album on Youtube, however if there is interest I will upload it on this site at the end of the remix tournament!

That was rather quick, but that's cool, now we're right on to the next round.

First, a vocal mix for Power of Darkness

Not sure what to call this remix of Plain Asia, but it's good.

Finally, a bit of . . . folk rock?  Is that a thing?  I think this remix of Ancient Temple of the Netherworld has some of both at least.

Darkness Power

Ah, another one that I've heard before. I'm not a big fan of the intro, but it picks up later, especially with the vocal. I think I recognise the voice from somewhere else... let's see who sings this... Mei Ayakura? But that name doesn't ring any bells at all to me... I wonder what it could be that I'm thinking of? Overall, I do like it, a respectable 6/10.

聲ナキ詩

This one is so soothing, I literally can't listen to it without yawning... zzzzzz... And once you get to about halfway through, you are fully hypnotised. I'm not really sure what score to give it, but I think I'll go with a 7/10. zzz...

Having a Dark Dream

I'm not a big fan of Ancient Temple of The Netherworld, but I was totally able to get behind this arrangement. The traditional and rock blend really gives it a lot of flavour, and it's nice to see a male vocal as well. All else I can really say is that it just sounds really cool. Very impressive, it's gotta be a 9/10.

55 minutes ago, Garison DeCrick said:

Considering busker rated their own track a 10/10, I feel I have the right to also rate my own a 10/10 lol.

Scores given to your own picks do not count towards their overall final ratings, so it's just a matter of giving your own opinion really. Don't worry, there's usually always at least one person who gives their own track a 10 and this isn't the first time that person has been me.

In general, how you choose to handle your own tracks when they appear is up to you. I like to rate them without saying they're my picks, and then reveal what my picks were at the end, although sometimes I will also reveal some of my picks for the sake of explanation when I review them, like I did here.

1. oh PC98 remix, pretty rare. since rarely hear the ost it feel kinda detached from usual touhou remix, whether that good or not.
dont feel any different from other trance, but i can see myself vibing to this at some point 6/10

2.i usually listen to hatsunetsumiko's funk but for some reason aint bump into this more kind often.
also plain asia surely really great for calm and smoothing arranges, i prefer this way than the intense arranges.
2:53 caught me off guard, aint expected that. possilbly id like it calm all the way through, but it gonna feel bland eh??
still i can listen this for a loong time 8/10

3.traditional japanese always great eh? it an easy win
imma get behind busker's review.
8/10

2 hours ago, Garison DeCrick said:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE OIL THIS DOOR.

lol OCD, i know that feelin
though personally for me it represent sound of distorted silence, indeed it gave ya feeling of anxiety but i think that's the purpose
pretty fitting for the song that tells about loneliness

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

After listening to this round, I felt the need to change some of my ratings from the first round. I promise I won't do that again, I simply felt the need to space things out more and I didn't want to resort to decimals.

4: Darkness Power
This was posted in Musical Discoveries earlier this month. The original Power of Darkness has stood out to me in the past for its unique sound. Not only does this remix incorporate that into its composition, it themes the lyrics around parts of it. I'm impressed. 7/10

5: A Voiceless Poem
This is supposed to be a lullaby, and is very well crafted as such. I would love it but for two major issues. First, the rocking chair: I understand the intended effect, but I think the piece would have been served better without it. Second, the vocals: again, I recognize the intent, but for me its simply unnerving. The music of this remix is really good, and I'd love to hear a version that didn't include the vocals and rocking chair. Music a la carte = 7/10, as is = 4/10

6: Having a Dark Dream
I have a weakness for traditional/folk instruments being combined with modern/synthetic instruments (see Wanwan's Absolute Lily). The fiddle'n'flute combo appealed to my Irish folk tastes, while the relatively uncommon choice of male vocalists made me think of an anime OP. So altogether I appreciated this piece on multiple levels. I couldn't find the lyrics to this one, though. 8/10

TTT

I usually save my thoughts for the end, but to throw in my two cents about the "door sound" it made me think of an old rocking chair, so instead of being off-putting it was nostalgic.  It makes me think of my grandparents house in the country.

Ok so i'm last this time huh

2. I'm not a fan of really calm songs like this however this one is pretty nice, it's really calming and like someone here said it before you could just go sleep with this song playing.
Vocals are also really good and also part around 3:20 when song bumps in a little. It sort of feels like someone is telling you story through song with such calming voice (also thanks for that doors pun now i can't unhear it lmao)
6/10

3. Sound Holic huh?
Usually i'm neutral towards that circle especially because how their songs can vary genre wise (some songs that i really like, some i don't and some im neutral towards)

However this one rather goes to third category. Oriental rock can be pretty good sometimes for me. I also often prefer female vocal over male but i can't complain about this one in this song because it's solid.
1:44-1:56 and 2:29-2:39 parts are probably my favourite by far from entire song, However solo that bumps in at 2:40 is also pretty good (it's also very short unfortunately tho)

this one will get solid 8/10

Archived