Touhou Speedrunning

Cyan Person

So, after watching "The World Record Progression of [Game]" type videos, I went into incognito and searched Touhou Speedrunning. It actually seems quite interesting. Your guys' thoughts?

My thoughts about it are... mixed. I don't think anything too interesting will come from it because of the linear nature of the game, but it still has a slim possibility.

i mean, 1cc is kinda a speed challenge, you just don't have to retry saving you time

although, due to the linear nature of the game, world records would probably shift by a few seconds over the course of several years

awsm.png.67315e744a2917033a71111657a7df4e.png

src: yumemimeme on twitter

3 hours ago, Spirit_Medium said:

My thoughts about it are... mixed. I don't think anything too interesting will come from it because of the linear nature of the game, but it still has a slim possibility.

I agree. While I think a speedrun-friendly Touhou game would be awesome, the autoscrolling nature of the levels in mainline Touhou make it unsuitable for this as the only point you could actually save time at would be the boss fights. The fighting games could work a bit better, but I still think it would be pretty boring.

Of course, there's Touhou fangames you can speedrun (I know Luna Nights is somewhat popular to speedrun), which is great, but that's getting into derivative stuff. Not saying I wouldn't mind more fangame speedruns, but it's not the same as official Touhou and probably wouldn't attract as much popularity.

Hopefully Tasofro hurries up with that platformer spinoff.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Ken Hisuag said:

This discussion came at the perfect time; SGDQ featured an official Touhou game this year.

Reveal hidden contents

Oh cool. I saw it on my recommendations. 

Though, it's disappointing that those types of Touhou games are the only ones suitable to Soeedrun.

Just now, Spirit_Medium said:

Though, it's disappointing that those types of Touhou games are the only ones suitable to Soeedrun.

I don't know, I found it fascinating. Speedrunning is usually about skill and creativity, and certain games just don't have that kind of applicability. The fact that some of the Touhou games can be spedrun at all is impressive to me.

TTT

• 2 months later...

Archived