PC-98 games could get re-release

buskerdog

Link to the original article here but I'm also going to explain it.

In summary, in a recent Touhou livestream commentated by ZUN and BeatMario (part of the doujin circle Cool&Create), the two started talking about the PC-98 Touhou games and BeatMario suggested they could be brought to Mini Console (think something like NES Mini or Genesis Mini). To this ZUN responded that maybe Naoki Horii, who is president of the company M2 and also is a huge Touhou fan, might be willing to do it.

M2 are a company responsible for handling the emulation for many re-releases of old games for newer hardware, including titles for Sega Ages and the Nintendo Virtual Console - and they also worked on the PC-Engine Mini with Konami, which released recently in Japan.

Now, from my understanding this was mostly just banter between ZUN and BeatMario, but then something else happened - after someone transcribed the conversation and put it on Twitter, Naoki Horii responded to the transcript, saying "I'll say it right now, I'll do it".

Of course, it actually happening is much more complicated than this - this hardly "Confirms" anything - but it does show there is interest. The idea of a PC-98 Mini is certainly interesting. Like nearly all things Touhou, it probably wouldn't leave Japan, and even if you imported it I can't imagine it would be possible to run translation patches on it, however given that running an emulator uses a lot of processing power and can cause the game to be choppy if your computer isn't that powerful (my laptop certainly can't run the PC-98 games that well), having a dedicated system for it sounds appealing. Anyways, what do you think about this?

Yeah, I agree that's hardly a confirmation.  Even if everyone involved was cool with doing it (and it would take more) there would still be a lot of questions and things to resolve.  And as you point out, it would be unlikely to leave Japan.  It would still be good for ZUN and Touhou to have more official games out there for people to though.

THAT REMINDS ME. it could be likely that touhou might get more support. an artical was going around that was from last year by Ruw (ZUN's legal matters guy) claming that "If they where to port Touhou to the switch, Nintendo would help and support them" He also said that Nintendo are aware of Touhou and its Popularity. A few days later 15.5 was announced for the switch.

Another strange thing is that a few years ago, Yen Press published ZUN's Forbidion Scrolley in English and it was sold even in my local comic shop (In the UK ,especially a place like Belfast, big titans of japan like Gundam and Sailor Moon have a hard time being notices, so this was odd)

While it was a while ago, it sounds (to me at least) kinda of like the same idea as a PC-98 Mini. ZUN seams to be up to something. Any ideas?

sorry if i went off topic

I wish you all have a wonderful day everyday.

There is something else strange but i cant say it as it is a spoiler for the new Touhou web comic Zun is writing (cheating detective satori) and i dont know how to cover spoiler filters

21 hours ago, GundamFan15 said:

There is something else strange but i cant say it as it is a spoiler for the new Touhou web comic Zun is writing (cheating detective satori) and i dont know how to cover spoiler filters

It's the eyeball icon at the top of the text box; fifth from the left, between the strikethrough and link icons.

TTT

!!spoiler!! In cheating detective satori, the latest manga written by ZUN, 

Spoiler

Flandre Scarlet had a huge role in the story and explain the great question of why she stays in the basement. Flandre is a very poupule chricter, however only ever played any role in touhou 6. outside of that she only gets a few cameos, so it is weird that she just reappeared got a huge part in this story.

Also, someone (think it was Maxmani) pointed out that the master criminal could be Mina because Satori said that it "She is a Vengeful spirit that feeds off magic" I don't know my PC-98 well, but i know a bit about Mina is someone a lot of fans want back and that sound like it would fit her. Again it could not be her, but the description dose match.  i can show that manga panel if you want to see it

To have two huge things the fans want to happen, more Flandre and the return of Mina (still not confirmed thought) is an unusel move from ZUN. He is a good man and treats the fans well, but that dose not make this any less stranger????

On 5/4/2020 at 7:30 AM, GundamFan15 said:

!!spoiler!!

Spoiler

If this turned out to be true, it would be huge (story wise). Mima was arguably the secondary character of the series during the PC-98 era, and the description does seem to fit her very well. However, this is not the first time something like this has been seemingly hinted at, and it usually comes to nothing. So for now call me skeptical but hopeful.

TTT

Archived