Remix Tournament strikes back

jssf1992

*wheeze* im bacc, can't say much today

Time of the Red Dyed World

CarrotWine nice, folk nice, it really got the festive feeling to it which as expected from CarrotWine. 7/10 i just realized everyone rated this 7

Moonbeam Maiden

uh.. electro music is kinda low on my list though i dont hate em all. this one got nice beats and idk why the more you listen to it the better it sound lol 6/10

Danmaku Surfer Hakurei

Ooh rare stuff right here, @Tangentg would be delighted. it fun n fresh especially when you ain't hear em a lot, gotta keep em genres rollin before getting old. Surf/10

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Alright then, ready for Round 3?

First, techno and vocal mix for Corpse Voyage!

Second a . . .  uh . . . very "Cirno" remix of Beloved Tomboyish Girl.  That's cool.

Third, U.N. Owen was . . . salsa?  Is that salsa in there?

Beloved Tomboyish Girl

STACK!
Oh boyy you really got me with this one even though Cirno theme doesnt belong to my favourite ones but i absolutely love stack and quite like oriental-ish stuff too.
Not really into orchestral stuff like Beethoven etc. Still
9/10

U.N Owen Was Her

Actually i like it even though im not really into these types of music (i do not dislike them as well) this one gives nice feelings and for some reasons makes me relaxed.
7/10

Kikoku Doukoku Jigokuraku

*Hollow Wings flasbacks* 7/10

Kung-Fu Fighter no.9

holy shit i love stacks, her voice really fit this, that's how i magine her tbh. also the arrangements, kaz take freedom in arranging, adding few originality, making the vibe really feel like Chinese fest. also shout out to Beethoven for the strongest symphony. kung-fu/9

Flandre Scarlet's Makyou Budoukai

ooh 3/4 timing, waltz? nah... Barcarolle? maybe yes, yes... also holy from 2008. *cough* starting up quite bland and slow actually, possibly cause i really really tired of the devil's theme. been hearing em here and there everywhere making ya lost yer interest eh? no? still 8/10

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

Kikoku Doukoku Jigokuraku
I think this song is quite good? It manages to get that delicate mix of joyous yet intense that the original has, but I also think it's... lacking something... The only thing harder than this boss fight was rating this song, and it doesn't help that I had to listen to this loads of times to make my mind up, but I've decided that it's a 4.5 for me.

Kung-Fu Master no.9
Beethoven: Finally, a worthy opponent! Our battle will be legendary!

Wow... Stack actually sounds kinda scary in this. I didn't notice it the first time listening over Stack's menacing aura crazy singing, but this is honestly a really creative mix of oriental, techno and orchestral instruments. And as always, Stack's voice seems to work perfectly with it. 

Not even being ironic when I rate this ⑨/10.

Flandre Scarlet's Makyou Budoukai
Hey, I quite like this! It sounds a little celebratory, a little royal, a little mysterous and a little menacing, honestly very fitting of Flandre herself. A very pleasant arrangement that does a lot with a little. 7/10.

Comfort in the Screams of Hell: (maybe? It's as close as I could get)

I like this piece; it's a pretty standard upbeat JP vocal with good instrumentation and harmony. The cat is rather annoying, though. 5/10

Kung-Fu Master No. 9:

What is this piece?! Cirno, Stack, and . . . Beethoven? It somehow seems fitting that this track is all over the place, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, did anyone else notice that the beginning dialogue is stereoscopic? 9/10

Flandre Scarlet's Magical Ball:

U.N. Owen was Watz? I'm always down for some magical orchestra, and this piece certainly fits its name. That being said, it seems a bit subdued. I'd have liked some of the background instrumentation to be a bit more amplified. 7/10

TTT

Love Song:

Every remix of Border of Life I hear manages to hold a sense of awe.
This is a very serene piece. Something about it makes me want to know what the lyrics are/what the song is about. 7/10

Jiang Shi of Paradise ~ Rigid Paradise:

dBu! Yeah!
Most of the Rigid Paradise remixes I've found are vocals, and I spent the first minute or so of this piece waiting for them to show up. It's rather refreshing to hear an instrumental version.
Usagi's signature blend of traditional instruments and [symphonic?] metal lends itself well to the slightly creepy feeling, specifically in places where he's contrasting the melody. 8/10

No More, Anymore? More, More?!:

Very unique on multiple levels. The description says it's a remix of Eternal Shrine Maiden, but I can't hear it. It feels like the lyrics were written first, and the song adjusted to fit around them. But on its own merits (as more of an original work than a remix), it's well done. 9/10

TTT

Lets see

Love Song
Quite nice personally i like oriental music but as i also said once im not that picky when it comes to calm or very calm songs i still like it tho
6.5/10

Jiang Shi of Paradise ~ Rigid Paradise
Ah yes dBu remix of Rigid Paradise i really like dBu and really like Rigid Paradise so there is not too much to say about
8/10

No More, Anymore? More, More?!
Damn its RD-sounds aka Diao ye Zong i love artist this one is not one of my favourites songs from this circle but it still worth high ratings imo
8.5/10

Love Song

The best word I can use to describe this song is zen. It's meditative and calming, yet the beat moves it forward with a sure pace, focusing you; what I feel when listening to this is like the flow state, perhaps better known as "Being in The Zone". It's beautiful; the synth that weaves in through the oriental lead creates a combination that just hits in all the right places for me, and the strong vocal lead gives the whole thing a great moving power. Awe-inspiring, yet modest, I'm giving this a 10/10.

Powerful rock remix. I especially love the turning points at 1:15 and 2:41, they add something new and interesting to the song each time and allow it to keep moving at full speed from start to finish, without burning out. Overall it really creates that adrenaline filled boss-battle feeling without there actually being any boss... so I wonder what would happen if you inserted this into a game's OST? 7/10.

No More, Anymore? More, More?!

A very varied and unique song, it has a very funky feel to it, and I love the lyrical work in this. Oh, and I love the instrumentation/composition, too. The whole thing is very catchy and interesting to listen to - although, I can't hear the original, even though I know it's meant to be Eternal Shrine Maiden. Still, it's incredibly fun, interesting and really entertaining to listen to. Easy 9/10.

Love Song

quite a piece from Muon Kagura, ain't expect this from them since mostly they make electro stuff idk lol. athe vocal, Mai-san really powerful this time, i can feel shivers and peace at the same time while listening. Though this one got a bit of electro element in it, they managed to keep the Zen (thanks buskerdog, im not sure what to call it before) feeling to it. Zen/10 i'll try to transliterate it, but expect catastrophic error

Spoiler

RED = im not so sure

ほかの断りのないて
愛を嘆いた

ほかの断りのないて
愛お歌った

風のめに溶ける調べ
私を鼓混んだ
みんなもに映り込む
おどろ桜かな

彷徨う胡蝶よ
樹ろとしては
語らう和げもな
ただ愛付与に下

いつかあの人のような
面影を生
いつかのあの人のように
桜と共に
花ぶら枚散る

時の断りのないて
断りの値に膨れる

儚き気持ちた
溢れるを怪しい
貼り付け慣れても
尚を秘密られる

記憶を開く坂にある
面影思い
記憶を開く坂にある
面影を見たい

hhe ive been listening to dbu lately so nice. I love some chinese fest vibes here and there. plus rigid paradise is high on my list. i dunno about the little bit of rock but nice. 8.5/10

No More, Anymore? More, More?

*sigh*... rember when i say I've been listening too much? im sorry but I'm tired of Diao Ye Zong on general, they great but i just can't... Tho some song still high up in list like Nokosareta Namae and Irodori bonus track and Takeyabu no Naka. Others... yeah... help i just can't... 5/10 *sad noises*

1599545236_TheSaddest.png.4815215f60bb5e1ef395b7b79dede642.png

Alright, final round.

First, an orchestral arrangement of The Gensokyo the Gods Loved:

Then, a vocal remix of Desire Drive!

And last but very much not least, a vocal arrangment of The Gensokyo the Gods Loved (because we can't have enough of that piece)

The Gensokyo The Gods Loved

Well i like orchestral stuff but it highly depends on song. Gensokyo The Gods Loved is theme i really like and enjoy and this remix actually makes me feel good so i give 7/10

Lost My Way

I dont even need to listen it lol because i already did it enough times. In general im neutral towards FELT but i really like few of their songs and this song is one of them
8.5/10

Even the Blossoming Flowers Will Eventually Scatter

AHHH! this song is probably one of my very first 2hu songs i ever heard (also Senya <3) im giving this high
8/10 for nostalgia and Senya voice

Like the Sound of the Wind (idk if that's correct but it's the best translation I could get)

I like how this arrangement starts out calm and serene, and then builds this grand sense of scope. I wouldn't say this is my favourite style of orchestral but I still think it's pretty good so I'll give it 6.5/10.

Lost My Way

As we're more or less at the end of the remix tournament, I might as well say that this is my submission so I can explain something. The thing about this song for me is that I pretty much never remember how the music goes when not listening, but as soon as I start listening to the music I become totally engrossed in it. I really like how FELT have incorporated their style into this, there's some really interesting composition here that goes well with the singing and instrumental choices, and overall I think it's a really cool take on Desire Drive. I'll give this 7.5/10.

Ah, the song that's become synonymous with the Memories of Phantasm anime. Even if you haven't watched it, I think we all know this song. The singing is really, really beautiful in this, and it mixes serenely with the upbeat music. Overall it's catchy and just a really great song. For me another 7.5/10.

風のごとく

CarrotWine, seems this place like em eh? they great indeed, be careful not to overlistened. This arrange feels beautifully grand, really fitting to describe Gensokyo. this a good piece 7.5/10 

Lost My Way

actually i have a bit distaste with FELT with how often they took forever to start a song. i feel it that way for this, though this one not so bad, i feel it was like the usual, until 2:16 damn that's awesome. i think that more than enough to compensate the slow beginning. 9/10

I can hear it already, from only reading the title. They've been everywhere.
There's good news and bad news. Usually start from the bad one, as you may guess, im tired of this song... the good news, it only this song, i still like senya in general since I've learned my lesson from diao ye zong. but too bad you pick this one. 5/10

hhee, me in this tournament is basically lookin for somethin new. not much of em but i found some that are nice though, thanks for the sharing.

Like the Sound of the Wind: (Bandcamp says Like a Wind, but I this is better)

Anytime I start listening to a Carrot Wind orchestral, I get a feeling it's underwhelming. But that feeling never lasts through the whole song, and I believe the only reason that feeling is there at all is the mid-tier soundfonts. ARA has the ability to instill a majesty (or any other feeling, depending on the applied style) to seemingly any piece they want. I greatly appreciate that. 7/10

Lost My Way:

When listening to English songs, I struggle to separate musical quality from lyrical meaning. Even though I may know the meaning of a song's Japanese lyrics, it is less distracting while I'm listening to the piece. With English, I automatically become distracted by the words. As such, I typically dislike English vocal remixes.
I say this because I was extremely impressed by this piece. The vocals worked with the music without either becoming indistinguishable nor separated. They felt like a distinct part of the whole, carrying a melody that sometimes matched the original song and sometimes contrasted it. Despite my usual leanings, this may be the most worth-while remix I've discovered through this tournament. 9/10

Even the Blossoming Flowers will Eventually Scatter:

When I first started getting into Touhou music, I was trying a cherry-pick approach. I wasn't prepared to fully commit to the series, so I tried selecting a few pieces at random (mostly influenced by what titles caught my eye and what I came across in a specific video). Then I found this piece (you can probably guess how). This was the piece that committed me to the Touhou fandom. I had passed over the original in my initial scavenging, and was so taken aback by this remix that I realized I needed to take things more seriously. Little over a year later, Touhou has become my favorite source of VGM if not music in general. So this song holds a special place for me. 10/10

TTT

This has been another amazing remix tournament! It was a lot of fun, and for me I've discovered even more songs that I love than last time! (I also see Jssf took my advice and snuck his own picks into the tourney this time.) Of course, Love Song and Kung Fu Master No.9 were particular standouts for me, as you could probably guess by the scores I gave them, but I also wanted to say that Moonbeam Maiden and Inanimate Sounds of Severed Blossoms, Spectacle of Color have grown on me quite a bit. Overall though, I loved nearly everything here.

I'm gonna reveal my picks now (although I have already given away 2 of the 3).

Spoiler

SOUND HOLIC - Un-Unified Magic World Theory

FELT - Lost My Way

Diao Ye Zong - No More, Anymore? More, More?!

Yea it was a pleasure to participate with ya guys!
And im looking forward to next tournament!

My picks were: (if someone didnt realised it yet)

Spoiler

East New Sound - Yuune Zekka Ryouran no Sai
Syrufit - Moonlight Maiden
Halozy - Kikoku Doukoku Jigokuraku (aka orin)

Alright guys, all the math is done, and we'll see what we've got.

First, the highest average rated song was:  Kung-Fu Master 9, selected by Drunken Flower!  With literally everyone giving it a nine!

Second, the highest of three picks goes to Buskerdog, with an average of 7.21!  And yes, it was close enough for those decimal points to matter.

Third, only one song recieved a rating of ten (not counting a rating by the one who picked), that being Drunken's pick, Love Song.

Personal favorites of mine are Time of Red dyed World, Love Song, and Lost my Way.

And yeah, I threw in a few picks of mine this time, being the two orchestral arrangments of Gensokyo the Gods Loved and U.N. Owen, as well as Rigid Paradise.  That arrangement of The Gensokyo the Gods Loved is one of my favorite pieces.

I really appreciated both this and the previous remix tournament. It's hard to find new remixes just by looking for them, and it's fun to get a sense of what other people enjoy. I feel like I've gotten to know you all better. This has also really helped make the quarantine more endurable. I hope we'll get to do another one of these sooner rather than later (and I already know at least two songs I'd like to include ????).

Here's my picks, for what it's worth.

Spoiler

Daughter of Eastern Spring, by Nesan

Time of the Red Died World, by CarrotWine

Even the Blossoming Flowers will Eventually Scatter, by Yuuhei Satellite

TTT

Archived