Remix Tournament strikes back

jssf1992

The remix tournament has returned.  Hopefully because people will be interested in this.

This is essentially a game of sharing and rating music remixes that we have found.  It's not really much of a competition, and there's not really much of a prize in the end, so don't worry about anyone taking this too seriously.  It will go like this: every participant will send three remixes/arrangements/etc to me via PM.  Then, I will post three of all the pieces in the thread, and everyone will comment on them and rate them.  A day or two later (depending on how many people we have and how fast they post), I will post the next set and we'll do it again.  We continue like this until we've gone through all the pieces, and we find out who had the highest rated song, best average rating, etc.

So, if you want to join, post here, then send me a PM with your choices.  Sign-ups will last one week, assuming we have enough interested people.

While rating by numbers is arbitrary, I can compile them into a percentage at the end so we can see who has the rated song and best average, so that would be preferable.

for 7 minutes i thought there's only 2 songs there, until i read the song header.

Un-unified Magic World Theory

eyy PC-98 quite unusual especially Chiyuri theme, but for some reason, im not fond for Nana Takahashi outside of Eurobeat... so... forgive me 4/10

Daughter of Touhou Spring that hat seems familiar

Capital City of Flowers are really beautiful it ranked 2nd in my pcb playlist, but banjo(?) and xylophone? idk what vibe it supposed to give, western dreamy??????? oh adventurous dream yes. i'd say not something i hate nor something i'd pick. 6/10

Yuune Zekka, Rouran no Sai

East New Sound and Chata and NayutaFeelsGreat.png.c6e4a5832232f627561c8745a71ebae4.png . i quite like the background vocal 7/10

mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif🍺 BEER FOR THE BEER GOD!!!🍺 mob_suika-export.gif.6d8d97d0ef2df024e56271e49c363436.gif

From the previous remix tournament:

On 9/12/2019 at 10:13 AM, jssf1992 said:

I wouldn't count scores of your own picks, but it's up to you if you want to say if it's yours or not.

You can score it, but it won't count toward the final tally. Personally, I like hearing some of the thoughts behind people's choices (especially for pieces I'm don't like as much at first, as it can give me a better perspective).

TTT

Un-unified Magic World Theory:

Considering the source material, this remix was very smooth. It might just be my previous experience with eurobeat, but I get a very strong "anime OP" feel from it. 5/10

Daughter of Touhou Spring:

I fell in love with this piece for its unique instrumentation. The original piece already lends itself to an "airy journey" feel, which is accentuated in this piece. 8/10

Inanimate Sounds of Severed Blossoms, Spectacle of Color:

Flower Land is one of those Touhou pieces I've yet to fully appreciate. The flowing tone of the vocals contrasts with the hard punch of the music beautifully, but I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd like (edit: listened to it again, felt better about it). 6/10

TTT

well so i just need to rate rest gotcha!

on other hand i wont mind if someone know which is mine and which not

so:

1. I always liked arranged of PC98 themes and Nana Takahashi kinda too so i would rate it:
7/10

2. Honestly i always had some distance for very calm songs (i still quite like this theme tho) with some exceptions to which this song unfortunately does not belong so sorry but because this theme my rate goes up to 5/10 instead of 4/10

3. Im not gonna rate this one.
Guess why ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Un-unified Magic World Theory:

Crashin' the gate!!!!! That opening gets me every time, so this is one of my picks, of course. There's something about the lyrical work and also the music which I find incredibly catchy and... I don't know how to describe it, tactile? That's a very strange word to use. Plus, it's a remix of Strawberry Crisis. Overall I like the upbeat energy and find the song easily memorable, so I'll give it a 7.5/10.

By the way, there's also a PV version of this here. Ken's not wrong when he says there's an anime OP feel to this.

Daughter of Touhou Spring:

I'm really impressed by this. It has a very relaxed and oriental feeling, with also a hint of mysteriousness; overall it's a very atmospheric piece. It sticks more or less completely to the structure of the original BGM, but I think that works here as it makes it feel like it could be used as background music itself, which is what I want from an atmospheric piece. I'll give it 7/10.

(By the way, shouldn't "Touhou" translate to "Eastern"?)

Inanimate Sounds of Severed Blossoms, Spectacle of Color:

At the start I didn't think it was going to be anything special, but I was pleasantly surprised. There's a really nice contrast between the hard electro beat and the soft vocals as well as the other softer instruments in the song, and overall it makes a very unique atmosphere which I really quite like. However, maybe it's just me, but I find that it struggles to stay interesting throughout the whole song? It's pretty good, so I'll give it a solid 6/10.

That was pretty quick.  On to round two then!

First, a fun folk arrangement of Septette for the Dead Princess.

Second, a vocal remix of . . . I think it's Maiden's Capriccio? 

Third, a very different arrange of Maiden's Capriccio!

Time of the Red Dyed World:

I love Celtic folk, and Septette lends itself surprisingly well to the style. Then again, it seems to work in a lot of different styles. I was really disappointed to find this piece wasn't on CarrotWine's Bandcamp. 7/10

Moonbeam Moon:

Similar to last round's "Spectacle of Color," this piece has a nice contrast between stiff techno percussion in the music and soft flowing tones in the vocals. But the contrast is less stark here, leaving a serene but energetic and sometimes sinister remix. I almost feel I'm being told a story through the music. 7/10

Danmaku Surfer Hakurei:

I have nothing against surfer rock, but I'm not a fan of it either. I can appreciate the quality of arrangement in this piece, but it's not something I'd listen to again. 5/10

PS: The hat may be familiar ????

Spoiler

I know I found the original on Nico Video, but as I couldn't find it again I had to find other means of supplying it. The title was Japanese, and I felt "Touhou Spring" made slightly more sense than "Eastern Story Spring." That being said, the latter is what Google translated it into.

TTT

Time of the Red Dyed World:

What a jovial sounding piece! This is a really upbeat and soothing take on one of my favourite Touhou songs, the instrumentation really sells it. I haven't really got any more to say than that, have a 7/10.

Moonbeam Maiden

It's another one of my favourite themes! This remix has some pretty chilled beats, which I like. There are also these more rough sections which I didn't like the first time listening; although after listening to it a second time they seem to fit a lot better, and help to add some variety to the song. It's an okay remix, but overall not much of a standout to me, so I'll rate 5/10.

Hakurei the Danmaku Surfer

Reimu's theme again! However, I don't particularly like surf rock so this remix doesn't do much for me. Maybe it's because of the style, or maybe it's just me, but I also feel this remix is kinda lacking in substance. I'll give it a 4/10.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Ken Hisuag Yes, I noticed you had uploaded that, I also read the description on the video. Wait, the title translated to Eastern Story Spring? If it were me I would have just dropped the word "Story", but it's not like it really matters. Still, if you happen to have the original Japanese title, I'd be curious to have a look at it.

Time of the Red Dyed World:

I really like this one it gives me warm vibes and i possibly just could listen it over and over due to how much chill it gives. I also really like Remilia theme so thats even more reasons to listen to it
7.5/10

Danmaku Surfer Hakurei:

About rock how i like it varies significantly based on subgenre and surf rock never really been my thing dont understand me wrong i appreciate uniqueness but it just doesnt suit me too well. Still its Maiden Capriccio theme that i have big sentiment to.
5.5/10

Archived