Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

4 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

i confus 

Oh whoops. That last part with "Cute duet, sounds like a march" was supposed to be quoting the arrange you posted. No idea why it's showing Alice's theme again under "Drunken_Flower said" XD

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think i only heard Sariel theme metal arrange from Unlucky Morpheus (not like i don't like them just rarely listening their stuff) Also this is so eargasm ♥️  

Not a fan of folk but by pure accident i found this and decided to post it here because i kind of like this one lmao      

I wanted to be careful about this first post of the year. For some reason, this piece stood out to me. Happy New Year, everyone! I'm about done with the chiptune features; there's only one

Posted Images

Gonna try and get this in before Jssf posts the first round.

Second day of the year I thought it'd be interesting to check Youtube for Touhou of that week, to find the last of old year and first of new. One specific acoustic arrangement sent me down a rabbit hole, and I ended up finding a bunch of really old but really good guitar solos. So here's some of those.

Spoiler

It wasn't this video, but one of his more recent ones that started me on this.

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Green Eyed Jealousy

I like the strumming pattern they use with the chords, specifically how the string hits make a good percussion tool to keep the rhythm. I can't imagine how much of a nightmare that'd be if they included bar chords though lol (where you cover a whole fret with a finger)

Besides obvious Shakespeare, Green Eyed Jealousy always reminds me of Greensleeves. And not just because of the name, but because the melodies can sound pretty similar.

Spoiler

Ball Dance

Impressive finger work. I find it's always so much harder to play individual notes on a guitar rather than whole chords, so I imagine the pick they used helped quite a lot! Overall, I like how they're constantly switching between frets and not staying stuck in one key.

Nuclear Fusion

Ayyy they have a Comiket CD of Touhou 11. EIther that, or a very official looking reprint lol. Nevertheless a good background prop. But let's get to the music already. Very impressive use of bar chords. So much so that it brings my finger a bit of pain just seeing it. Nice how they use their thumb hitting the wood as a percussion beat to keep rhythm. Overall cool unyu.

Suimusou Saigetsu

Nice 3 camera angles. Surprised that this is the only guitar one with a capo (hot take but I always end up pronouncing it as kay-poh instead of kah-poh). Usually most of the "Broken Moon" remixes I see have a somber sad chill tone to them so it's interesting to see a more upbeat take on it.

Overall, nice finds! I guess this is review is bit of practice for me for the upcoming Phantom Remix Tournament as well heh heh.

• Thanks 1

Tournament thoughts:

The PC-98 themes are generally perceived by the fandom to be lesser known. I assume this is because the games are more inconvenient to play, and the majority of the fandom is familiar with the music they hear in-game.

I've sometimes wondered about the popular opinion concerning Akiyama's OST bonus arrangements. The popularity poll doesn't distinguish between different versions of the same theme, so the rating likely reflects upon the original version in any given case. There have been several cases where I've preferred Akiyama's version over ZUN's, or at least considered them on equal footing (each with strengths in different aspects). So on the chance that some may not have discovered these remixes yet, here's some especially noteworthy tracks.

Spoiler

After the acoustic guitar discoveries, I've tried making a regular habit out of checking for newly uploaded Touhou remixes. I was pleasantly surprised to find this PC-98 arrangement of a Kaisendo Group theme; Wanwan's works don't normally get considered for remixing purposes (unfairly, in my opinion), so I'd consider this a rare find indeed.

Spoiler

It's still Saturday where I am!

Spoiler

With that taken care of, I'm going to bed. I'll come back tomorrow to check what I've missed.

remember i ever posted a Fantaisie Impromptu in Touhou style?

now look what i found

Spoiler

although i already know ComicFishing because their one song from the same album "A Reverie of Dolls and Stellula" (don't mix it with the one Yonder Voice re-cover)
i really having hard time finding their other pieces on the internet

• Like 2
On 2/7/2021 at 1:41 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

It's still Saturday where I am!

Reveal hidden contents

With that taken care of, I'm going to bed. I'll come back tomorrow to check what I've missed.

ngl but im unreasonably afraid listening to that one video, something about afraid it's being too cute or too catchy, afraid of being attached to it.
still havent listened.     :^D

On 1/31/2021 at 5:35 AM, Ken Hisuag said:

After the acoustic guitar discoveries, I've tried making a regular habit out of checking for newly uploaded Touhou remixes. I was pleasantly surprised to find this PC-98 arrangement of a Kaisendo Group theme; Wanwan's works don't normally get considered for remixing purposes (unfairly, in my opinion), so I'd consider this a rare find indeed.

Reveal hidden contents

im not that fond of chiptune (yes i know that's FM rearrange but still.. same)
that aside, HSoB tracks is hella beautiful
i know everyone love the st1 theme

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

ngl but im unreasonably afraid listening to that one video

You are right to be afraid, and I respect your restraint.

Time for that GET IN THE RING I've been holding back on! I wouldn't say these are my favorites (they might be up there), but I think they're a good representation of the circle's work.

Spoiler

• Up 1
On 2/14/2021 at 1:12 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

You are right to be afraid, and I respect your restraint.

Time for that GET IN THE RING I've been holding back on! I wouldn't say these are my favorites (they might be up there), but I think they're a good representation of the circle's work.

Hide contents

GITR eh?
some of their song indeed in my high list
sadly i haven't listened much to them
one of the reason is intimidated by the sheer amount of arranges they made. (im too lazy)

not so fond of the 2nd song tbh, lookin at the view count and comments i kinda question what's wrong with me???
maybe because they tried to squeeze so much themes in them? yeh i'll just use that excuse :^D
i like other 3, especially the 4th (WAIT holyshit 2M views, i can understand)

and from me, for now i can only think of this from GITR and it's far out genre

Spoiler

Translation in CC

and my rock stuff

Spoiler

a proper opening

englih vocal, not very intense but i love it

and this
i can't find singles uploaded, so yeah the album instead
conveniently it's the first song 00:00-04:18. a rare arrange of Natural History of Childlike Duo from album Dr. Latency Freak Report.
quite a cheerful arrangement for a heavy metal due to the nature of the original song.
ngl but not all in this album is great.
track 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 is good if you wanna spend some time. ゆめのうた (10) is nice and it uploaded a lot elsewhere if you want to listen that individually.

Edited by Drunken_Flower

Talking about GET IN THE RING now, huh? Yeah, they're a good circle. Although Ken mentioned he was fond of their fun rock arrangements, I was actually more familiar with their more serious and h e a v y stuff, so it's cool to see to that more fun side which is also really good. Anyway, here's some stuff I know from them.

Spoiler

Starting off with my favourite song from them, which I found last month. When I originally found this I wanted to post it to musical descoveries, but then I decided I wanted to save it for a remix tournament. But now since we're talking about get in the ring, I think I might as well show it here. This song heavy, yet so... emotional. I don't know how to describe. I just love it.

Now, here's also some other stuff:

• Thinking 1
  • Up 1

Festival Blaze was one of the first GET IN THE RING arrangements I found (this exact video, actually), and it did a good job at catching my attention and keeping me on the lookout for more; maybe it's just me, but imaginative Broken Moon arrangements seem difficult to come by. I posted Over the Rainbow here back around Christmas time as a piano-focused arrangement; it certainly stands out from the circle's typical projects, and showcases the diversity of skillset they have.

Rebirth, on the other hand, is a new one to me. Another thing I love about this circle is their approach to medleys, in that they blend the varying motifs into a single seamless work. This is the kind of medley I prefer (as opposed to having individual motifs transitioning into each other one at a time).

Spoiler

This is probably my second favorite remix from GET IN THE RING; I almost submitted for RT4 it instead of LWCO.

This is actually two different medleys, but the one leads into the other:

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 10:19 AM, Drunken_Flower said:

and my rock stuff

I really like that Crest piece; I'm surprised I don't come across more swing rock, whatever genre that may be considered part of. I'm still not up for sceam-vocals, though.

Your Valentine's Day comment made me think of a piece I found the day before. There's been a "new" channel reposting a bunch of stuff from an older account (at least I think that's what happened), so I've been getting a bunch of their posts in the daily feed. This particular arrangement seems fitting, if a bit more upbeat than normal.

Spoiler

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Ken Hisuag said:

This particular arrangement seems fitting, if a bit more upbeat than normal.

Reveal hidden contents

Oh hey Mahotoa Tofu
currently the best for electro swing
have you check their booth?
https://mahotoa.booth.pm/
FREE STUFF
also their youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG5X0VE9kGhT3Hluuw1PcUg

also about that new channel
i think that bbzera probably

also quick retour to the rock

Spoiler

i love Tsubaki
dunno what to say more
and dont worry, this has no scream

• Like 1
On 2/18/2021 at 2:41 PM, Drunken_Flower said:

also quick retour to the rock

Great arrangement of quality metal with the contextual acoustic intro and outro re-enforcing its impact. Wish the instrumental track was on Youtube.

Ironically, also from that album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxjiCCnALEw

Feels like I haven't posted much orchestra for a bit, so now seems as good a time as any.

Spoiler

First, an oriental folk orchestra remix of Broken Moon which, for once, doesn't sound like it could have been Oriental Memory of Forgathering Dream.

Second, a standard orchestral arrangement of Sleeping Terror. I appreciate the patient buildup of this one culminating in a wonderfully foreboding epicness.

Third, a good-ole Melodic Taste take on Necrofantasia that I can't remember bookmarking but must have at some point. Good blend of instrumentation and variation of harmony typical of Melodic Taste.

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Up 2

@Ken Hisuag This... is not the first time you've posted music from ssbbmaster... correct? I'm sure I've come across them before, yet I don't remember ever exploring their channel, so I can only think that it must have been because you posted their music here before. Anyway, what's my point? Thank you for posting this one. Not only is that arrangement amazing, but through the intrigue of the recommended videos that appear at the end, I have now ventured into the rabbit hole and started exploring their videos (I hadn't even realised that they made the arrangements themself!), and found not only some of my new favourite orchestral arrangements, but even some really good non-orchestral stuff. You wouldn't expect it from such a small channel. Will be following this arranger from now on.

• Like 1
  • Up 1

hey
guess what game is booming? (to like 5 people)

so yeah
ya know aint very fond of chiptune
well yes, that partially right.
to put it in words, if if it meant to be a chiptune alone, then no
it has different feel to it if it made especially for a game ost
ya know what i mean? wording 100

Spoiler

some people say that this game is dead
but no, it actually being worked on
with latest update last year (0.50e) and pre-release few months ago (0.55 beta or something, still work in progress, not final)
yes this still alive and i spent like 40 hrs in

also i dunno anything about megaman but this game cool
if you wanna check it out then https://github.com/SHNecro/ShanghaiJAR

i recommend lower your volume
this bops fast

• Like 1
  • Up 1
4 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

(to like 5 people)

YOOOOOOOOOO I never expected to see Shanghai EXE to get mentioned here. Ever since it got copyright shutdown, I've been following it on threads from other sites for a while now.

The music reminds me of Gensou Shoujo Wars in that, it sounds a lot better in game than alone on Youtube. Still good to have it uploaded of course, for people who want to view it individually. But I personally prefer hearing it ingame.

Spoiler

Also thanks for Github link, I needed a reminder to get the most recent version lol

Screenshot (162).png

Edited by Garison DeCrick

@buskerdog Glad to hear it! I suggest checking out the collaboration circle The 11th Hour as well.

@Drunken_Flower Not familiar with the game, and the soundfonts are a bit rough, but it's a really good arrangement. There's a combination of themes mixed with some original composition to tie everything together, and it comes out perfectly. I'll have to look more into this.

I randomly came across this acoustic arrangement of Tomboyish Girl that uses a kalimba!

Spoiler

While this was an original arrangement, the performer has done quite a few rearrangements of a circle called Sensitive Heart. So I looked them up, and found a variety of uniquely instrumented synth-focused remixes. Good stuff.

Spoiler

• Like 1

With Touhou 18's demo coming out this month, I figured now's a best of time as any to see some fan made songs that people have made for the game. To make this interesting, rather than rating them on how good they sound to me personally, I've put them in order of how similar they'd be to a ZUN composition.

This one's my favourite so far. There's a squishy instrument in the background that makes it sound more lighthearted. I'm not usually a fan of weird soundfonts, but this one gives the piece a more whimsical playful feeling which fits the mood quite well! And it has some fun synth major chords. It's a good contrast from Wiley Beast which used more minor chords, giving off that melancholic darker air.

Spoiler

I can see this song as being somewhat less likely. It sounds a lot more like a Wiley Beasts track with the instruments except less of a major key, which still makes certain parts seem intense and foreboding. It's still kind of likely since, who knows maybe the final boss will have some darker theme. Despite how playful a game like UFO was, it still had a pretty intense boss theme. But this song's an odd mixture of having a darker theme without the usual final boss intensity.

Spoiler

Personally, this one's my second favourite from the list. But I have to rate it third likely because of 0:30 which sounds too similar to "End of Spring" from Touhou 12. From a meta view, it's still a cool reference to that Stage 1 theme. Speaking of Stage 1, I feel this song fits more for that level. ZUN's title themes are not as melodic as this one. But the title is a nice nod to leperchauns.

Spoiler

This one is the least likely I feel out of the three. For me, there's some parts that are just too quiet. And there's chiptune sections which, while ZUN has done in the past, don't feel too characteristic for this game.

Spoiler

Now, let's look at something with a different picture besides the main menu lol. Of course, how can I speculate what Touhou 18 will be like without predicting the final boss? I doubt this'll be accurate, since people have been wrong in guessing so many times before (Remember when people through Touhou 13 would have an underwater theme and someone made the song "Waters of Hokkai?" or how Wiley Beast would have the Oni Kasen?). This one's a ridiculous guess I know but...

Spoiler

THAT'S RIGHT CHANG'E. Absolutely absurd I know. As likely as Mima coming back. But still, it's a good excuse to show off this cool remix I recently found of her theme. I've seen her mentioned since around 2017 but this is the one theme I've found that sounds pretty realistic. Like, I love how it builds off of Junko's theme and adds it's own melody. WIth Junko, it was Pure, simplistic. But with Chang'e, it's Impure, chaotic, complicated. 

• Like 1

I'd like to take this moment to highlight Eban, simply because I follow his work and seeing some of it here reminded me of some stuff I have from him. While he does do remixes, I personally prefer his original pieces.

Spoiler

Additionally, a light oriental folk Pure Furies. There's a patience to this piece that I appreciate; it always feels like it's about to blow up, but instead it continues simmering gently. The climax comes quietly, with a deceptive intensity that communicates high emotions without imparting them. A very intriguing effect, to say the least.

Spoiler

I have realized that I showed off a bunch of fan music albums in the boxart thread, and didn't think to feature some of the music here. So I'm remedying that.

Spoiler