Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

On 12/12/2020 at 10:55 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

Please comment what music I should summon next

Since you already did piano, I'd say choir. If you can find any sort of choir genre that is. I've tried checking myself and they're pretty hard to come by.

Speaking of piano, those piano covers you posted are awesome. I can tell that pianist really likes using the pedal lol. Not that I'm against it, I can just tell not only from how smooth the notes sound together but his right leg constantly jumping up and down. I also appreciate how they go into different octaves and add key changes to the song. Even though a lot of it is just playing a scale up and down between intermissions, it's still a fantastical sounding effect regardless.

• Up 2
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think i only heard Sariel theme metal arrange from Unlucky Morpheus (not like i don't like them just rarely listening their stuff) Also this is so eargasm ♥️  

I'm up later than I should be, and I'm unable to turn in yet. So while I'm waiting I think I might as well add a couple more things. This is an interesting take on Hartmann's Youkai Girl.

been a while since i post have a Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy  

Posted Images

On 12/12/2020 at 11:55 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

Please comment what music I should summon next.

This was meant as a joke, and I didn't expect y'all to take it seriously. But I'm kinda glad you did. 😁

On 12/14/2020 at 7:13 AM, buskerdog said:

I'd personally like to see your take on eurobeat

I haven't had much experience with eurobeat. I like it well enough, but I haven't come across much that stands out to me. My disinclination toward English vocals that aren't Irish folk or CCM also tends to stunt my appreciation. Still, I do have a Touhou eurobeat album on Bandcamp.

Spoiler

I actually prefer the Voyage 1969 remix on this album, but that isn't available on Youtube and I don't feel like formatting a video right now.

The only other Touhou eurobeat I'm familiar with is ShinkoNet's work. He tends toward English vocals, so I don't listen to those much. Ironically, this instrumental track is one of the vocal pieces I do enjoy, but (again) the vocal version hasn't been posted to Youtube.

Spoiler

my other suggestions are rock or maybe drum n bass for something we don't see too often?

We had a few rock posts after the last tournament, didn't we? But sure, why not?

Spoiler

"If you're just remixing one song, you're not doing it right."
~ YaboiMatoi, probably

Now that I'm thinking about it, Touhou rock often gets blended into other genres, making it difficult to find in its distinguished form.

I didn't know what drum'n'bass was before last tournament, and I haven't gotten around to looking beyond maritumix. If you know of a good place to start, I'd love to hear it!

Spoiler

• Like 1
On 12/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, Garison DeCrick said:

Since you already did piano

Hang on, I'm not done yet! I realized I had a couple of pieces saved in my backlog folder that I'd forgotten about, so I might as well get them out now.

Spoiler

On 12/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, Garison DeCrick said:

If you can find any sort of choir genre

I'm not sure what the choir genre is. I can think of remixes with elements of choir, but nothing that's exclusively choir (pity that Psamathes didn't do any Touhou in her Sacred Groves album). My inspectional searching only turned up arrangements like this:

Spoiler

The harpsichord in this piece is amazing, but I doubt this is what you meant.

Perhaps acapella will suffice for now?

Spoiler

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Hang on, I'm not done yet! I realized I had a couple of pieces saved in my backlog folder that I'd forgotten about, so I might as well get them out now.

Whoops, thought you finished lol. Though I appreciate being wrong if it means seeing more of your piano recommendations. I'd give you're post the ol' Ken-Thumbs-Up if the admins hadn't removed that emote (R.I.P.)

5 minutes ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Perhaps acapella will suffice for now?

Ahh, Smooth McGroove a classic. Even though he's popular music remixer, I still like seeing his remixes because he uses "unique" remixes per say lol.

By choir theme I sort of imagine like multiple people in different parts singing with soprano, alto, tenor, sort of like a choir club. Considering Touhou has sometimes full-on orchestra's performing pieces like with Active Neets, I'm surprised there's none for a choir. It could even be named like "Change's Choir" or something lol.

• Sad 1
  • Up 1

Eternal Melody

I've had this sitting in my folder for several months now. It's the first half of a double remix, but I didn't appreciate the second half as much and went looking for a shortened video.

Spoiler

Ironically a remix of Faith is for the Transient People (which I typed out in full 😏).

5 minutes ago, Garison DeCrick said:

more of your piano recommendations

I've actually been holding a few for potential tournament submissions, though at this point my Tournament Worthy folder is getting rather full. Maybe I'll drop a few for Christmas.

Also there's this!

Spoiler

• Up 1
22 minutes ago, Garison DeCrick said:

I'd give you're post the ol' Ken-Thumbs-Up if the admins hadn't removed that emote (R.I.P.)

I was wondering what the arrows were replacing. Oh well, advance and adapt.
Still no chin-stroking/thoughtful reaction.

Digging through the folder for these videos had made me more anxious to empty it further, so here's some bonus stuff unrelated to the topic at hand.

Spoiler

Those thumbnails are intimidating together, ey?

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Thanks 1

Found something!

It's not full choir, but it is four part harmony!

Spoiler

The circle is 幻想郷グリークラブ, or the Gensokyo Glee Club (but the English name is less likely to bring up search results).

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Up 1
14 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

We had a few rock posts after the last tournament, didn't we? But sure, why not?

Reveal hidden contents

"If you're just remixing one song, you're not doing it right."
~ YaboiMatoi, probably

Now that I'm thinking about it, Touhou rock often gets blended into other genres, making it difficult to find in its distinguished form.

I meant DnB as the one we don't see too often. I didn't really have metal in mind when I suggested rock, but you make a point that it often shares similarities with other genres, to the point where it becomes hard to distinguish where it stops being rock and starts being something else. Still, I'd say YaboiMatoi's and RichaadEB's covers are definitely metal (I did like them though). That Bad Apple remix on the other hand was more what I had in mind, and I hadn't found a Bad Apple cover with a good male vocal before, so I'm glad you shared it!
On the topic of what makes the difference between rock and metal, I'd say the main distinction is in the percussion.

14 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

I didn't know what drum'n'bass was before last tournament, and I haven't gotten around to looking beyond maritumix. If you know of a good place to start, I'd love to hear it!

I don't listen to that much of it myself, but I happen to know this one, so it might be worth looking into the circle that made this?

Spoiler

Damn I forgot how good this was.

13 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Ironically a remix of Faith is for the Transient People (which I typed out in full 😏).

Faith is for the Transient People isn't that annoying to type out. The song I shared earlier was a remix of The Primal Scene of Japan the Girl Saw. Doesn't help it's been retranslated several times already.

• Up 1

I was thinking of rock and metal as synonymous, but comparing the Bad Apple remix against the other two does evince a distinction. Perhaps pop rock?

some searching later

I'll have to keep an eye out, but in the mean time I believe I've found the perfect remix to cover your requests.

Rock,
DnB,
and . . .

Spoiler

Patchouli!

Yeah, I'll keep looking.

I've always thought both of Sanae's themes had unnecessarily long titles. But hey, at least neither of them are The Darkness Brought in by Swallowstone Naturalis Historia (Dark Side of Japan).

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

Patchouli!

Literally all I did was say I liked Patchouli once and now Garison has elevated it to meme status. Like, come on guys, I like other characters as well and she's not even my favourite...

• Haha 1
  • Up 1

Okay, I swear I'm not doing this intentionally, but I just found out that ShinkoNet is releasing a new eurobeat album at the end of the month, and this is beginning to get weird.

Also, guess what other genre he remixes in!

Spoiler

Additionally, here are some specially selected arrangements to balance out the post.

Spoiler

I'd like to draw attention to Aka Kyuketsuki's piano arrangement abilities, since she's more well known for Touhou style.

I fully intend to be back here before Christmas, but just in case I'll wish y'all a merry Christmas now.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Up 1

Also, on the heels of having just taken some requests, I'd like to make a request of my own. I have not had much luck finding remixes of the original themes from Urban Legend in Limbo or Immaterial and Missing Power. Specifically I've been looking for arrangements of NKZ's Wanderings and U2 Akiyama's Bell of the Antipodes, respectively. No particular style, just something imaginative.

There are a lot of original themes from ULiL/AoCF that I really like, and I'm also a fan of IaMP's soundtrack in general (it's a shame NKZ only did music for IaMP and none of the follow-up games), so I agree it's unfortunate no one really seems to arrange those. 

I had a bit of a look, and while I couldn't find arrangements of the themes you specifically asked, I did find two arrangements of Bamboo Forest in Flames (one instrumental and one vocal), which is probably my favourite of the original themes from ULiL.

Spoiler

First off is this one. It's CROW'sCLAW. What more can I say.

And this is the second one. I didn't know exactly what to think of it at the beginning, but I was very happily surprised when the vocals unexpectedly started.

A bonus of any video about a Mokou-related theme is that you get to see cool pictures of Mokou.

Now, here's an unrelated additional discovery. It coincidentally also happens to be another DnB remix.

Spoiler

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 1

The last time I posted about DJtheS was, well, pretty much at the inception of this thread. Given that he isn't a discovery for me, its not like I feel any need to post his stuff. However, I wanted to share this medley anyway, since it's a perfect fit for the season. Merry Christmas, guys!

• Like 1

I shouldn't be here today. I wanted to post these yesterday, and preparations took more time than I had anticipated.

These are some remixes I had considered worth holding onto for a future tournament. In the past, I've chosen submissions based on my desire to hear others' evaluations. I'd held back on these pieces because they are from fairly well-known artists.

Spoiler

One of the first Touhou remixes I ever heard was Demetori's Ascending Into Naught. It was also one of the first metal genre pieces I listened to. I'm fairly certain that Septette is one of the most versatile pieces in the series.

This is my personal favorite Marasy arrangement. If you didn't know better, it could probably pass for a classical piano sonata. A lot of that can probably be attributed to the well-suited source piece.

Finally, another early discover for me was this TAMusic piece. According to the album's information page, it's supposed to be a remix of Maiden's Illusionary Funeral. I'm not so sure about that.

Merry Christmas, y'all, and I'm sorry for not getting these out sooner.

• Like 2

Nope, that's new stuff to me. It's a bit difficult to tell if it's a remix or a mashup (or perhaps, in the vein of the recently referenced DJ the S, both?). I haven't had much luck in the past finding enjoyable mashups, so I tend to be skeptical of them. If this is a mashup, it's very cleverly edited together and actually rather pleasant to listen to.

Chiptune feature: pedipanol.

Spoiler

One of the only musicians I've come across who composes non-Touhou remixes in the PC-98 style, and does well at it, I might add!

Since my recent searches for requested styles of music, my recommended has included an increased representation of these genres. I won't say y'all should expect more of those genres long term, but you can enjoy them while I've got 'em.

Spoiler

Will this be my last post on this thread for the year? I'm not sure yet; we've still got just under a week to go. One way or another, I hope y'all had a good Christmas.

Posted (edited)

I wanted to be careful about this first post of the year. For some reason, this piece stood out to me.

Spoiler

Happy New Year, everyone!

I'm about done with the chiptune features; there's only one more artist after this one, and I'll have covered the highlights from my perspective.

I chose to use +TEK in RT3 because the sound of his productions appeals to me strongly. While it is still technically chiptune, it's on the far fringes of the genre (especially in the latest album), and I'm not comprehensively sure why.

Spoiler

Doesn't this Greenwich in the Sky sound like it came out of a Sonic game?

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 3
Posted (edited)

This is not intended to be an extra chiptune feature, but . . .

+TEK's recent album featured guest artist Rumya, and I was struck by the style of the extra arrangements. They remind me a bit of Rivals of Aether; an airy, floating chiptune that still maintains exhilarating energy.

Spoiler

Also, it seems Jaz:3 visited recently, and I just happened to find this accordion remix the other day.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 1

For the final chiptune artist feature (though certainly not the end of chiptune on this thread), I present . . . actually, I'm not sure which is his primary alias. It's either "pigdevil2010" or "Pigu."

When I said my submission to RT3 wasn't the best example of Touhou chiptune I knew of, this was the guy I had in mind. Unlike most of the previous features, his style encompasses both retro and experimental, while also making use of a variety of chip types. I specifically considered his Egoistic Flowers as a tournament submission, but ultimately decided against it.

Spoiler

Note the instrument designations on the GameBoy.

Just to rap it up, an extra chiptune piece from an unexpected artist:

Spoiler

I have made a discovery. 

Spoiler

I've heard so-called "bardcore" remixes before, but I had no idea people were doing it for Touhou, and it's great too! By the way, I hope you appreciate the images as much as I do. NUE DRAGON NUE DRAGON

• Like 2
17 hours ago, buskerdog said:

I have made a discovery. 

Hide contents

I've heard so-called "bardcore" remixes before, but I had no idea people were doing it for Touhou, and it's great too! By the way, I hope you appreciate the images as much as I do. NUE DRAGON NUE DRAGON

lol, ive been waiting for that since the meme spread

also i just pass by since found somethin interesting
this the first time i heard this kind of arrange

Spoiler

Onis und Panzer  o7 o7 o7

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

lol, ive been waiting for that since the meme spread

That sort of music style reminds me of that Touhou Age of Empires fangame, Age of Ethanols. Though, looking back on it now, while the original AoE wait dangit i can't use acronyms Age of Empires use very similar traditional instruments, the OST in Age of Ethanols is pretty uhhhh modern sounding... my backstory with empires is kind of weird though, since i remember getting it from a cereal box lol

Spoiler

whole playlist can be seen by clicking title link and viewing on youtube site side.

The Hakugyokurou theme sounds very funky & jazzy. There's even a sax. Sounds like something straight out of "Café de Touhou" (12:05)

With Chireiden's theme, Satori's part at the start seems like something out of a sitcom. You could probably put it as a background track for Ep.7 of Horned Owl and Bat (5:09) and it'd fit perfectly

Meanwhile the Three Fairies theme's at 0:21 gives the piece a very french feel. Like a more toned down version of "Mushroom Waltz" no not the athletic theme

14 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

whole playlist can be seen by clicking title link and viewing on youtube site side.

Cute duet, sounds like a march

• Like 2