Musical Discoveries in Touhou Fandom

RT3 is wrapping up, so it should be safe to post this.

I went looking for the original N.I.G.H.T.M.A.R.E. when reviewing the tournament entry, and I appreciated the context it gave to the remix. Personally I think Nhato's version is better, but this one's still good in its own right.

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

been a while since i post have a Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy  

Thanksgiving week is here! I'll be back before the day itself arrives, but it's still close enough for me to reference it. Here's some remixes (somewhat) suited to the occasion! I'm not quite s

I wanted to be careful about this first post of the year. For some reason, this piece stood out to me. Happy New Year, everyone! I'm about done with the chiptune features; there's only one

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

RT3 is wrapping up, so it should be safe to post this.

I went looking for the original N.I.G.H.T.M.A.R.E. when reviewing the tournament entry, and I appreciated the context it gave to the remix. Personally I think Nhato's version is better, but this one's still good in its own right.

Hide contents

Thank you!! I hadn't heard the original, I love this version too!

edit: oh yeah you don't yet know that was my pick

Edited by buskerdog

taking from RT3 to here

9 hours ago, Ken Hisuag said:

counter me with some True Administrator remixes

whoa whoa whoa, that's a hard request.
not many do the remix, and most that did anit give that much of a impression.
i think it's because the original, it feel really long and repetitive rite?
i'd say the best part from the original is at 1:04, also 0:36 is easily usable
if you remix it i recommend taking that part and scrap the other.
also what's with the long hold at 2:26

i only have 1️⃣

Spoiler

you may recognize the style if you play Secret of Mana

and for the record
my registered birthday is Akyuu's birthday, although year and month is correct, the day is not, we don't know the exact date.
i pick the 9th cause Akyuu
also im forever 12

also yes Jssf is old
he's been in this community since the first era

• Like 1

also here's what ive been into lately
dunno if i shared this here prevoiously
also dunno if anyone here like metal

Spoiler

ÅNRYÅ - Hourai Hunter 【Metal, Folk】
this actually my friend's, he's an amazing dude
also the album if you want, it's free

CROW'S CLAW - Princess of Bloodsucker 【HeavyMetal】
Yamagen voice is really great, i got this song stuck in me for years

Kissing the Mirror - Shanghai Eliminator 【DeathMetal】
same album as previous. i'd say this the best album they had.

Rib:y(uhki) - DEATHMARCH OF JIANGSHI'S PARADISEJACK 【HeavyMetal】
you may know him from Imperial Circus Dead Decandence (or if you read monster musume h-doujin a lot)
dunno if i should reserve this for halloween but i do have backups h'he

10 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

also im forever 12

... but how are you... drunken? ah forget it.

9 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

Yoooo Crow's Claw! I love that circle. I have to resist listening to them unless I'm running because it's so intense. And by running, I mean moving back and forth between a 6 ft long hallway in my basement because there's already a foot of snow outside XD

Personally, I'm more of a fan of their tracks that are pure metal guitar with no voice where they have one guitar just go super high pitched and lead the melody like CROW'SCLAW - Catastrophe In Heaven But the one you posted is still pretty good.

9 hours ago, Drunken_Flower said:

(or if you read monster musume h-doujin a lot)

The only part of Monster Musume I read is the chapter where they cosplay as Okuu. Yes, that's it.

• Like 1
On 10/26/2020 at 4:24 AM, Drunken_Flower said:

i only have 1

But it was a great one! By far the best arrangement of the piece I've found yet! So thank you for that, and as promised here's a Cosmic Mind arrangement.

Spoiler

Yeah it's CarrotWine and you've probably heard it already but it's honestly the best out of the ones I found.

My metal tolerance level lies somewhere between heavy and hard, though I sometimes think metal subcategories are ill-defined so I'm not confident in my true tastes. I liked the ANRYA piece, and also the CROW'SCLAW that Garison mentioned. At one point I thought the likes of Demetori and xi-on counted toward my metal inclusiveness, but now I've realized they're closer to symphonic metal. There's still RichaadEB!

Spoiler

• Like 2

I was just going back through the previous two tournaments, and I noticed one of the entries was no longer available. So I'm making a replacement link here.

Spoiler

I'll get to Len'en eventually; still so much backlog . . .

This is one of the nudicso pieces I've found since the tournament ended. Actually, it popped up in my recommended after I had been searching for a while.

Spoiler

Also, ssbbmaster posted a Tiny, Tiny, Clever Commander remix this week, so I'll include that too.

Spoiler

• Like 1

Ah yes, Shibayan Records, the kings and queens of "we make really good music but it's all really long". One of my first circles I listened to, actually.

Have I really not posted anything by them before? Well, seems like now is a good time.

Spoiler

• Like 1

This Cosmic Mind remix was just uploaded today! Good timing, eh? Like most of the pieces from this soundtrack, this is a more laid-back type of orchestral arrangement. I get a noble/reverent impression from it, in contrast to CarrotWine's epic style. I'm not sure it quite fits, but I still appreciate it.

Spoiler

Since I'm here, I'll post this symphonic metal piece, too. FalKKonE only sells arrangements that he can license, and Kanako's announced inclusion in 17.5 has given me hope that I'll finally get this particular one.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag
  • Like 2

I've always wondered, can you attach mp3, ogg files on site and listen to them because that would probably be super useful for me (even for next tournament) so imma probably check this out in this post

Edit: Yes it works but you need to save on quality since site upload limit is 4.88mb, still it probably will be useful

Edited by Amamiya Yuki-
  • Like 2

I found this Touhou game jam compilation album on Bandcamp. It has quite the variety of noteworthy artists and styles.

https://touhoujam.bandcamp.com/album/touhou-jam-jams

Prismriver Orchestra released a jazz piece yesterday. I realize I just posted something from him, but I'm trying to ration out my backlog collection right now.

Spoiler

On that note, this will be the first chiptune remix I post on Musical Discoveries. HertzDevil's MEGA ZUN project features a more retro style, and he's managed to cover quite a few pieces across the series over the years.

Spoiler

• Like 2

I'm up later than I should be, and I'm unable to turn in yet. So while I'm waiting I think I might as well add a couple more things.

This is an interesting take on Hartmann's Youkai Girl.

Spoiler

Then another jazz piece. I don't know why I'm suddenly listening to jazz more, but the variety is good for the thread.

Also:
Bongos.

Spoiler

Edited by Ken Hisuag
I was gonna post something else, but decided to save it.
  • Like 3
On 11/7/2020 at 9:59 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

@Amamiya Yuki- Downside of the embedded mp3 is lack of track identification.

Yeah, while you are right it's also much faster than uploading to Youtube (assuming no one uploaded it yet) as long as you can stay in site upload size range

On 11/8/2020 at 1:34 PM, Ken Hisuag said:

Then another jazz piece. I don't know why I'm suddenly listening to jazz more, but the variety is good for the thread.

Also:
Bongos.

yoo i like that one, also from a obscure person? i take it.
and bongos.

me>?
im in mexico (mood) lately. the SWR themes really fit in the latin arranges

Spoiler

an arrange of Fragrant Plants, the circle is Nekonotsuka but this one is a guest arranger.
from album Pieces of Heavens, this arrange is really distinctive since the other's are hardstyle scrhanz stuff lol.
can you endure 12 minutes? surprisingly not repetitive, the arranger took different approach each time.

also another one from Foxtail-Grass Studio, this one is an arrange of Ridiculous Game. album is Natsukaze Memoria
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngfq4lzwwalvn02/05. 獅子奮迅.mp3?dl=0

now now Tamusic also joins, quite an unusual one from tamusic.
this one is Dancing Water Spray arrange, album is HEXAGRAM. shoulda well known with 85k views but screw it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofl8x1qUHv8

also i forgot if i ever put this here, outta theme but this one will never be boring

Spoiler

• Like 1

Have you seen the Piano Guys video for I Want you Bach? As I listened to "Mocking Dance" ~ Can you step on the dancing?, I started to visualize a similar scenario.

There is a darkened stage, and in the forefront are two distinct groups. On the one side is an ensemble of Latino folk, and on the other is some form of rock band with synthesizers. As the performance progresses, these two sides continually trade off the song to each other, sharing and contrasting each other's styles. Over time, more of the stage is lit to reveal more parts of both groups. Sometimes the two will let the song rest equally between them, lending elements of both styles into a balanced blend.

This may be the first musical piece of over ten minutes that I remained completely engaged with the entire way through.

• Like 1

I managed to find these really good and very obscure remixes, from a pretty long time ago. This channel didn't make that many of them, but they're so good!

Spoiler

But as it turns out, he's also started making new remixes again just recently! Oh, and he's doing piano stuff as well! However still super obscure. I think these really deserve to be a lot more viewed for how high quality they are.

Spoiler

Edited by buskerdog
  • Like 1

@jssf1992 You actually posted that back in May. I don't mind the refresher, though; I think I can appreciate it more now than I did then.

@buskerdog These are good! I like the arranger's artstyle as well.

Edited by Ken Hisuag

Yep, I also remember that one being posted earlier.

5 hours ago, jssf1992 said:

Oh, I've been putting this off, but here's an old thing I would have shared for Halloween:

But that reminds me, since I guess a future Halloween remix tournament isn't likely, I might as well share the ones I had in mind.

Spoiler

You can see why I would have picked these for Halloween.